Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/4/2021 7:01:23 PM EDT
I have a Win 10 system that is at  least 5 years old. Lately it has been corrupting files (repaired by sfc or dism) and now I can't open windows security. How long will an installation last? Could it be hardware failure?
The system was state of the art at the time: i7 3770x, Nvidia 680 graphics, 32 gb ram, ssd boot drive.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 7:13:16 PM EDT
[#1]
If you are getting corruption on a regular basis, and it isn't because your power keeps failing, then a new installation is not likely to last long at all.  Copy off anything you need on that drive and get a new one.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 8:23:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Mine crapped out a couple of months ago. Start backing up and write down all your passwords for when you have to rebuild it, which will be soon. And get the program which can find your product registration number.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 9:11:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I wonder what the resiliency of that drive is.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 9:36:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I completely forgot. I did lose the power supply about a month ago. I replaced it and it works but it may have damaged something. File checkers all day it has no corruption. Any other tests I can run?
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 9:43:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I completely forgot. I did lose the power supply about a month ago. I replaced it and it works but it may have damaged something. File checkers all day it has no corruption. Any other tests I can run?
View Quote

You should be able to talk to the SSD. The controller on it should keep a log of any issues its detected throughout its life. You should also be able to see how much life it has left.

HWINFO64 is one tool. Others here may have better suggestions.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top