Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 12
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 9:59:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I did edit it, hours ago.  Starting is $20 with 0 experience, but sounds like they're bumping it to $24 and 20% across the board.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

People will keep showing up to this thread and responding to the OP before they dig through 10 pages, if they ever do.. why not edit it lol?

So what is the actual pay scale for your wife's company today?

I did edit it, hours ago.  Starting is $20 with 0 experience, but sounds like they're bumping it to $24 and 20% across the board.

So ... the company based on feedback from GD has decided to raise their wages below par for a starting welder? ALL within the time frame of a single thread?

Does the fleet of company vehicles sound like clown cars or ice cream trucks when they drive around?
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 10:01:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I work almost exclusively in pharma. Safety Manager for a GC that builds clean rooms in both existing facilities and greenfield projects.
I have never seen the requirements you mention for construction. Never.
View Quote

Me too in maintenance. Somebodys full o shit
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 10:02:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The last full time welding / fab job I had.. (7 years ago)

$46.50 hour

8 hours standard time 2 hours OT every day.

Weekends 10 hours OT. holidays double time.

401k match, full medical vision and dental 100% covered. Decent pension.

3 weeks paid vacation a year

$400 boots and $1,000 tools per year. (Even with all needed tools and PPE supplied by company)

$100 day per diem when traveling.
View Quote

Nice, what were you working on?
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 10:02:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Probably spread aids into welds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why no painted nails? Customer interaction concerns or chemical issues?

Kharn

Probably spread aids into welds.

Lol
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 10:02:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I'm not a welder dumbass. And my "career path" is both early days and weird enough that it isn't much use to compare with others. I'm just a rusty economics geek who is capable of seeing the world around them occasionally.

But FWIW: $40/hr, Software Architecture. Before that was a $16/hr effectively-an-apprenticeship.
View Quote

So you're making less than these guys per year.  Got it cool.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 10:03:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

There is no $13 an hour starting, it's $20 with 0 experience.  

Target will make you max 50k a year.  These dude are making 82-96k with 5 weeks of vacation time.
View Quote

$20/hr is $41600, there is zero reason to work OT anymore. Killing yourself for a company is never worth it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 10:03:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
@C-4

I made $18/hr building coffins on C shift for morning delivery in 1997-9. My customers never complained.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gas stations are paying $15/hr to do essentially nothing.  Unemployment was $18/hr.  And you expect qualified folks to take $13?

@FLchuck8

Why do you hate capitalism?
@C-4

I made $18/hr building coffins on C shift for morning delivery in 1997-9. My customers never complained.  

Link Posted: 10/30/2021 10:03:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
mmmmm....

arby's.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's literally $16.50 per hour in Ohio with your cost of living, That's fucking terrible. You can make more than that at Arby's here.  If a $35 job in Ohio was transferred to Washington it would become a $70 an hour job.

https://www.bestplaces.net/cost-of-living/columbus-oh/seattle-wa/30000
mmmmm....

arby's.

Aka thinly sliced rat.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 10:05:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I work almost exclusively in pharma. Safety Manager for a GC that builds clean rooms in both existing facilities and greenfield projects.

Little lies become bigger lies.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 10:05:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

How would they know if he was wearing gloves? Gloves that shed material in the product as well.

Does the client require welders to not wear gloves?

View Quote

Let's just say on multimillion dollar jobs the priority is not hiding Bobby's fingernails.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 10:05:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Aka thinly sliced rat.
View Quote
bet arby's is a better gig than anything at OP's wife's shop.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 10:06:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Let's just say on multimillion dollar jobs the priority is not hiding Bobby's fingernails.
View Quote
pics of multimillion job(s)?
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 10:06:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

One week a year less vacation is absolutely "way worse."

I'd give up a dollar an hour for a week of vacation if those were the two job options given .
View Quote

5 weeks vs 260 days?  do that math again.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 10:07:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

What are you talking about? Nowhere did I say make them pay for anything.

Supply all their shit AND give them a boot voucher. AND.

Boots are PPE....
View Quote

Jesus with how rabid you all are for $200 in boots maybe they can just give a boot allowance and say fuck the raises.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 10:07:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Little lies become bigger lies.
View Quote

damn dude wrong account
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 10:08:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One week a year less vacation is absolutely "way worse."

I'd give up a dollar an hour for a week of vacation if those were the two job options given .

So if it's so great, what's the purpose of this 10 page thread?

Your wife's company sucks and needs to pay more. Simple as that.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 10:09:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Multimillion dollar jobs.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 10:09:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

160 hours is 4 weeks
And I believe he said 10hours per pay period, not per week.
View Quote

Ok that's 32.5 days vs 28 or 33 days.  He's also making the equivalent of $16.50 in Ohio.

Link Posted: 10/30/2021 10:10:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Ok that's 32.5 days vs 28 or 33 days.  He's also making the equivalent of $16.50 in Ohio.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

160 hours is 4 weeks
And I believe he said 10hours per pay period, not per week.

I don't live in Seattle
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 10:11:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

John Hiatt - All The Lilacs In Ohio
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 10:11:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How would they know if he was wearing gloves? Gloves that shed material in the product as well.

You don't even know the nomenclature of the industry in question how do you have any idea what the priorities are?

As a wise journeyman once told me, never put your initials on your stuff. They can't layoff the guy who forgot his crescent wrench if they can't find out who it was.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 10:11:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As I stated earlier on this page. I work almost exclusively in pharma. I have NEVER seen the requirements you have mentioned for construction. Never.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 10:12:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I don't live in Seattle
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/30/2021 10:12:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
A good welder makes way more than that.

A private ship welder here is going to cost you $100 an hour.
View Quote

This.  

Basic welders are getting 50hr and have jobs waiting for months…
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 10:13:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You keep talking like a company that supplies it's own job materials is some sort of benefit to the worker.  Read your own first post.  It wasn't appealing to the worker and was so poorly written everyone thinks you are paying $13.00/hr now instead of $20.00.
View Quote

I never considered starting wages seriously because I never in my life made them for more than month or 2.  Starting wage too me is not important, if you're good you won't be starting for long.  Max wage is always what I worried about.  So sorry for confusing everyone with a 10 year old story to prove they don't pay based on seniority.  Obviously it's GD and you post anything long or short, detailed or not and it will look like 3,000 different posts are being responded to.  Someone worried about starting wage to me doesn't expect much out of themselves.  Every great employee I ever interviewed in my job asked one question.  How much can I make when I'm good at the job.

I guess the commies here want a guaranteed minimum for being to shit at work.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 10:13:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Holy Hell this thread has gone sideways . Yet OP keeps doubling down .
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 10:13:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jobs so big even the fire watches drive brodozers.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 10:14:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 10:16:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Here is to hoping OP posts this sweet job ad, so we all get a chance at living that big pharma dream.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 10:16:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Nope. According to op there’s only firing your employees or telling the customer to fuck off. None of that middle-of-the-road stuff here.

Also, apparently he and the wife are perfect for each other.
View Quote

It's not my company, not my say.  I imagine you have 0.000% dealing with any type of job that 200 people's families rely on for survival.  Because you don't go and work for 6 months to get a 10 million dollar job and then said thanks for the job mr customer, let's get down to business.  Bobby over there likes to paint his nails.  We notice the government and yourself say that's not allowed here.  So we need to make a plan to keep Bobby working.  Can you tell the government to fuck off? No?  Ok bye Bobby.

What kind of woke bullshit are you on.  If you had any experience working any industrial job you wouldn't ask such a silly question.  It only shows your lack of knowledge.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 10:17:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Rate too low, yearly equiptment allowance isn't even close to being 5 miles from the ballpark let alone in it.

If you offered me $35 an hour for just labor on bench work with zero material costs in my own shop. Id literally laugh out loud and ask if you were serious.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 10:18:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Sounds like you have it all figured out. Not sure why you need anyone. Spots should all be filled.
View Quote

I don't need it figured out.  Wife obviously doesn't network with a bunch of tradesmen from similar or other trades.  Yes until you voted for Biden because of MUH BUMPSTOCK everything was great.  Seeing what is going on out there and showing some gumption and pounding the streets to find out what others are dealing with.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 10:19:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

It's not my company, not my say.  I imagine you have 0.000% dealing with any type of job that 200 people's families rely on for survival.  Because you don't go and work for 6 months to get a 10 million dollar job and then said thanks for the job mr customer, let's get down to business.  Bobby over there likes to paint his nails.  We notice the government and yourself say that's not allowed here.  So we need to make a plan to keep Bobby working.  Can you tell the government to fuck off? No?  Ok bye Bobby.

What kind of woke bullshit are you on.  If you had any experience working any industrial job you wouldn't ask such a silly question.  It only shows your lack of knowledge.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope. According to op there's only firing your employees or telling the customer to fuck off. None of that middle-of-the-road stuff here.

Also, apparently he and the wife are perfect for each other.

Please OP provide the government reference to their ban on men wearing nail polish on job sites.  Please.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 10:20:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Weird… because at least two people in this very thread that work in the same industry say that policy is bullshit….
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 10:21:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I don't need it figured out.  Wife obviously doesn't network with a bunch of tradesmen from similar or other trades.  Yes until you voted for Biden because of MUH BUMPSTOCK everything was great.  Seeing what is going on out there and showing some gumption and pounding the streets to find out what others are dealing with.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like you have it all figured out. Not sure why you need anyone. Spots should all be filled.

Pics of wife to see if we should include her in the network?
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 10:21:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

And yet I still make far more in pay and benefits. Your "wife's" company's sounds like hell.
View Quote

Your pay in WA = 16.50 in OH.  You don't even make more than someone starting out with 0 experience here at $20.  You have 4.5 extra vacation days if you earn them and Jay Inslee doesn't shut your company down for Covid.  I think most guys would take a starting wage $3.50 more per hour and 4 weeks of vacation over 16.50 and 32.5 possible days.

Link Posted: 10/30/2021 10:23:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Your pay in WA = 16.50 in OH.  You don't even make more than someone starting out with 0 experience here at $20.  You have 4.5 extra vacation days if you earn them and Jay Inslee doesn't shut your company down for Covid.  I think most guys would take a starting wage $3.50 more per hour and 4 weeks of vacation over 16.50 and 32.5 possible days.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And yet I still make far more in pay and benefits. Your "wife's" company's sounds like hell.

Dude I don't live in Seattle. Believe it or not there's more to this entire state than Seattle.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 10:23:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

You build clean rooms and leave?  You're not working anywhere in Pharma with something that can fall into product in a live production facility.  I'm assuming you build off site and fully assemble and leave.  Are you working in areas with current production running?
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 10:25:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

$35/hr is NOT $82-$96k/yr...
View Quote

At 2280 hours it is.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 10:25:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I didn't have the heart to tell him that I make more than $35 an hour...but in all honestly I am underpaid for my profession and years of experience.  That by the average salary for my situation, I should be making more, but for a bunch of small reasons about my company that I like, I am ok with it.

I am afraid he will stroke out.

View Quote

There's this thing called overtime that you salaried workers may not be familiar with.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 10:25:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah .. so many tradesmen are probably living in Seattle proper. Maybe look at the bedroom communities like Tacoma. Do you think the tradesmen in NYC live in downtown Manhattan as well? Don't be obtuse OP.

https://www.bestplaces.net/cost-of-living/columbus-oh/tacoma-wa/30000
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 10:26:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

You build clean rooms and leave?  You're not working anywhere in Pharma with something that can fall into product in a live production facility.  I'm assuming you build off site and fully assemble and leave.  Are you working in areas with current production running?
View Quote

You like arguing with people who actually do the work you think you know about.

But please continue, it’s fun to watch.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 10:27:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
$20/hr for a welder still won't get one, not even in my area. And we save money by shacking up with cousins. If the $100 a year is only meant to cover boots, then that was thought up by somebody who has never spent 8hrs or more a day in a pair of work boots. I know that people that build things are in a lower social-economic class than office people but shit, we still like to go home not all crippled up at the end of the day.
View Quote

Well boot allowance seems near and dear to everyones hearts.  I'm definitely telling wifey to up that shit since it seems to have huge importance.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 10:28:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's not me.  They tried everything to keep this dude.  Customer told him not to come back with it and he put his 2 weeks in.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 10:29:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

$20/hr is $41600, there is zero reason to work OT anymore. Killing yourself for a company is never worth it.
View Quote

35/hr with OT is 96k.  Some are motivated and will work 200 extra hours per year to make 70k go to 96k.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 10:29:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Well boot allowance seems near and dear to everyones hearts.  I'm definitely telling wifey to up that shit since it seems to have huge importance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
$20/hr for a welder still won't get one, not even in my area. And we save money by shacking up with cousins. If the $100 a year is only meant to cover boots, then that was thought up by somebody who has never spent 8hrs or more a day in a pair of work boots. I know that people that build things are in a lower social-economic class than office people but shit, we still like to go home not all crippled up at the end of the day.

I have realized after 10 pages that we have been doing things all wrong. I am going to see if one of our HR ladies or maybe one of the admin folks can ask their significant other to poll their internet friends on our wages and benefits to ensure we are fairly compensated and remain competitive in the market place.

I have FULL FAITH based on the references provided in this thread their input will be implemented by upper management as swiftly as yours has.  

ETA: You have basically crowd sourced the entire benefits career field in HR.

Link Posted: 10/30/2021 10:29:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

There's this thing called overtime that you salaried workers may not be familiar with.
View Quote
You understand that that makes your point worse....right?  It means they are working more hours, for less money.

Guy, you asked.  The bottom line is that this company is having problems with new hires, because they aren't offering enough compensation.

Do what that information whatever you want.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 10:31:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

At 2280 hours it is.
View Quote

Yeah but who putting in 200 hrs of OT a year anymore. Get your fucking expenses under control and go fishing.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 10:32:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't get a boot allowance. I'm just well paid and given decent benefits, and buy my own boots and clothes. And I don't live in Seattle, but rather a low cost of living area, which somehow exists in the state of Seattle! Fucking crazy!
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 10:32:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

35/hr with OT is 96k.  Some are motivated and will work 200 extra hours per year to make 70k go to 96k.
View Quote

Nobody under 50 works OT. It's not a thing.
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top