User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2018 8:16:51 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 8:25:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Sip don't gulp.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 8:30:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Over ice nothing else. Sip it. If you get the higher proof stuff let the ice melt a little to take the bite off of it. Also not a fan of JD here. Never have cared for it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 8:31:09 PM EDT
[#3]
7 and 7  
Seagrams 7 mix with 7up..is what you seek.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 8:32:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Attend many whiskey tastings. Everyone's palate is different so don't give up search and enjoy. My opinions: Older age usually equals better, wheat usually equals smoother and top shelf does not always equal top taste. Tennessee whiskey is made to have a bite to it. Kentucky Bourbon over 10 years old is usually very good. I like a good bourbon but also can appreciate a really peaty scotch. Canadian blended whiskey can be very smooth. Boutique local whiskeys usually suffer from ageing barrels made from improperly cured oak and taste of green oak, disagreeable to me.  The best bourbon that I have ever had at any price was Buffalo Trace that the store owner picked out the barrel and had bottled at the distillery.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 8:33:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sip don't gulp.
View Quote
Sip, take a slow breath in through your mouth, let it evaporate off your tongue.  No need to swallow; the good stuff, similar to scotch, evaporates readily, leaving behind flavor.
Repeat.

Don't drink in excess and give yourself a reason to hate it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 8:41:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 8:58:33 PM EDT
[#7]
For me, bourbon was a progression.

In my 20's, i did shots.

In my 30's, i mixed with ginger ale.

In my 40's, i drank it on ice.

In my mid 40's and beyond,  i drink it neat.

I love sipping bourbon.   I go through a 5th every 2 weeks or so.  Usually 1 - 2 small pours at night with a cigar.

Enjoy the journey.

Link Posted: 8/7/2018 8:59:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 9:43:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 9:47:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 9:49:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Stress and a desire to cut carbs really helps.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 9:58:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Don't go cheap, but there are plenty of bottom shelf bottles that are top shelf pours. One of the best bargain bottles is Old Granddad 114. There are some great Facebook Bourbon groups. They do tastings, rankings and generally provide great information. Here are some to consider. Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit and Rare Breed. 1792 Full Proof. Elijah Craig 12 year and barrel proof. Weller Antique 107. Angels Envy.

Go to a bourbon bar and just have some pours. Then you'll know what bottles to invest in.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 10:29:50 PM EDT
[#13]
It is really  hard to recommend whiskey since taste is very subjective.

Weller Special Reserve is pretty good in my opinion.

If you are having trouble acquiring a taste for whiskey, try over ice with some water to start.

A few I would suggest to try:

Russell's Reserve

E H Taylor Small batch

The only way to learn what you like is to try a lot of different things.

I feel like one drink is not enough to determine if I will like something.

I have to sample it several times.

And my tastes have changed over time.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 10:32:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sip don't gulp.
View Quote
This.  Any try a few ice cubes in a glass of bourbon first.......I found that after a little of the ice melts, it starts to get a little sweeter and smoother. But yeah.....you don't just chug it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 11:19:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Sour mash bourbon whisky like JD has a unique taste that alot of folks do not like

Just keep experimenting and you will find one that fits you and then stick with it

I like George Dickel and Old Grand Dad myself
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 11:44:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Jack Daniels and Evan Williams can be tough to learn to like right out of the gate since they do have a pretty bold flavor.  Something like Maker's Mark, Elijah Craig 12, or Woodford might be good to try.   Start equal parts water and bourbon on a couple of ice cubes.  Yes, it is watered down at first.  Slowly back off the water until you are drinking just the bourbon on 3 ice cubes.   Then slowly cut down the ice.

Personally I prefer to have the ice to cool the temp just a bit and it also helps bring out the flavor more than taking it neat.  Exceptions to that would be something like Pappy's or other really high end stuff that you want to experience the full flavor of without the water.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 8:31:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Honestly, I just decided that I was going to like whiskey. So I drank a glass or two of Jim Beam, neat or rocks, every few days until I liked it. Then I bought a few bottles of different varieties, and sampled them.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 9:36:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Weller SR is a good bourbon. As is Buffalo Trace.

Take little sips and let it just chill in your mouth and linger a tad.

Drink daily.

ETA - I find Tennessee whiskey to be harsh and don’t fool with them.

If you can find Suntory Japanese Whisky called Toki it has a light flavor with a little sweetness and no burn.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 9:38:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 10:36:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Evan Williams is quite a nice bourbon- especially for the money. Evan Williams Bottled in Bond (BiB will be a whole new bourbon thing you can learn about too!) is a favorite of mine and is low priced.

Frankly- great quality bourbon can be readily had for reasonable prices- no need to break the bank.

In no way do  have an advanced palate but i think a good way to start is to sample some examples of some of the different flavor profiles: This is strictly just my opinion but some suggestions: Evan Williams for a sweeter, smoother flavor, Wild Turkey 101 for a step up in proof and an example of a 'classic' bourbon profile, and something like Old Grandad Bottled in Bond (100 proof) or Old Granddad 114 (114 proof and also a favorite of mine) for a higher rye content bourbon. The higher rye bourbons are described as being 'spicier.'

As others have said- sip with an ice cube or a little water added. Use a good tumbler.

Over time you might go from occasionally enjoying a little bourbon, to preferring it in all cases over other choices.   I started exploring bourbon in earnest in 2013 and progressed from the lower proof offerings over ice to higher proof over a large cube to now preferring to add a splash or two of water to anything 100 proof and up.

i keep a variety of bottles on hand to suit my mood.

Enjoy the journey!
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 8:23:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Well, Zhukov- pop back into the thread and let us know how you are coming along on your journey!
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 8:45:46 PM EDT
[#22]
The new Wild Turkey Longbranch was geared towards newcomers to Bourbon.

I enjoy several different Bourbons, have been on the trail 3 seperate times now.

Mostly have mine on the rocks or neat. Never mixed.

Keep at it, keep notes even if just mental, repeat!
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 8:53:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Buffalo Trace and Basil Hayden's are both really sweet IMO
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 11:47:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 9:10:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Sweeter bourbons aka more corn heavy ones tend to be more welcoming to new drinkers. Rye heavy bourbons tend to be "peppery" or "spicy" and have slightly less broad appeal. Check out mashbills for bourbons and that will help guide you.

Jack Daniels no. 7 is an ok pour, very rough tasting. Gentleman Jack is a huge step up for not much more money.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top