User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/1/2022 4:39:29 PM EDT
I got this one

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Has slots for bolts, the drill press table has slots for bolts, but I played with aligning it and it seems like those are no help because the work piece wouldn't be aligned with the center when I center it the slots aren't aligned.  Clamps?  Offset the table?  Haven't played with that last idea but it just occurred to me.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 4:41:21 PM EDT
[#1]
The answer is in your title.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 4:41:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Spin it till it aligns. Or twist the table to the side, or spin the table...
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 4:44:48 PM EDT
[#3]
You sometimes have to get creative, like settling for one bolt when you planned on two.

Using one bolt and a clamp of some kind.

Lots of moving and adjusting, will get you there.

ETA Buy a X Y Vise is another option.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 4:47:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You sometimes have to get creative, like settling for one bolt when you planned on two.

View Quote

Cool, thanks that points me in the right direction.  I probably would've figured it out but I wanted to save time by asking here
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 4:48:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Haven't had a ton of luck with this either.  Definitely not an exact science.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 4:49:16 PM EDT
[#6]
your hand....and hope to god the bit doesn't catch whatever you're drilling and rip it out of your hands
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 4:49:57 PM EDT
[#7]
You got TWO hands dont’ ha?
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 4:50:05 PM EDT
[#8]
You don't.  I always leave it free floating on the table.  It's not like you have x and y travel so you would have to unbolt it and rebolt it every time.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 4:53:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Cool, thanks that points me in the right direction.  I probably would've figured it out but I wanted to save time by asking here
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Be careful your work piece and vise does not move if inadequately clamped. Not likely, but with a big enough bit, or hard to drill item it could happen.

Another idea, use a bolt on the vise, and clamp a stop of some type, like a block of wood, to keep the vise from moving.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 4:54:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't.

I dimple the piece exactly where I will need the hole. I then start a pilot with a small bit to make the divit very defined. If the pilot looks good I drill it through to help the next bit. Then I place the next bit (be it a step towards the final hole size or final size) in the chuck and WITH THE PRESS POWERED OFF I run the spindle down to where the bit is pressed against the pilot divot. This is done with the work piece unsecured so that the bit can pull it into place where it's centered under the chuck. With it pinned to the table by the bit I clamp it in place with a large pair of C clamps or similar. The retract the spindle, power on and drill. If I need to go in steps I'll leave the work piece clamped when I swap bits so that it's still centered after. Eventually one day I'll go looking for the proper tool for this kind of alignment, like a piece of drill rod with a sharp cone at the point but bits have worked ok for it.

Also, make sure you back the work piece with something so you can drill through without destroying the table.

This approach has worked well for me. I actually needed to make some blind holes in some delrin balls one time. I made a wooden jig that was two boards, both with holes smaller then the ball in them and a set of bolts to clamp the boards together. The jig bottom board was placed on the press table and the bit (5/8") used to drill the holes in the board was inserted into the chuck. I'd use this bit to center the bottom board by running it down into that boards hole and clamping that board in place. The ball was then placed on the board and the top board and installed and tightened. I'd swap the bit to something like a 3/8th and drill a perfectly centered hole

Link Posted: 12/1/2022 4:55:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Don't bother.

Find a piece of tube/pipe you can put over that handle and rest against the column of your drill press to counter the torque and let the vise float.

If you've got a drill press table with T-slots, you can get an appropriately sized hold down clamp set for the odd cases where rigid fixturing is called for.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 4:55:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You don't.  I always leave it free floating on the table.  It's not like you have x and y travel so you would have to unbolt it and rebolt it every time.
View Quote

So this! Never bolt the vise to a drill press. Hold the vise with your left hand, feed the bit with your right. When something goes horribly wrong, and it will, let go of everything and switch the press off.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 4:55:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Has slots for bolts, the drill press table has slots for bolts, but I played with aligning it and it seems like those are no help because the work piece wouldn't be aligned with the center when I center it the slots aren't aligned.  Clamps?  Offset the table?  Haven't played with that last idea but it just occurred to me.
View Quote

It depends on the work you do and what you are drilling. Technically, the vise doesn't have to be mounted to the table. You can secure the workpiece in the vise and move the vise around on the table if you want to. There is also no rule that says the workpiece needs to be centered in any way. I've drilled at times with the entire vise to the left of the spindle.

Link Posted: 12/1/2022 4:56:35 PM EDT
[#14]
C Clamps
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 4:59:52 PM EDT
[#15]
I like to mount it so the slots in your vice perpendicular to the slots your table. Mount with atleast two bolts or a t-nut/stud kit that fits the slots in your press table like this one....

Mounting T-Nut Kit

Link Posted: 12/1/2022 5:17:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 5:25:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Mount the vise to thisAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 5:26:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Gorilla Glue and in its absence, saliva.    Apply the latter with your finger and don't lick the bottom of the vise or the drill press table.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 5:27:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Buy a mill.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 5:28:47 PM EDT
[#20]
STEP CLAMPS will allow you to position the vice how you need it on the table. Can also be used to hold something larger than your vice directly on the table.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 5:29:24 PM EDT
[#21]
One more thing, I tend to only clamp in cases where I need to change bits and keep the piece aligned, when I'm using something that will want to chatter, or a bit large enough it will want to spin the work piece. If the problem is it wanting to spin, c clamps might not always be enough. It's a good idea to position the work and your body so that if it does spin free it won't hit you.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 5:33:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I got this one

www.amazon.com/dp/B077XN118X

View Quote

whats the table look like?

Link Posted: 12/1/2022 5:35:14 PM EDT
[#23]
I don't.  Never have.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 5:37:55 PM EDT
[#24]
A couple of C-clamps work if all else fails.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 5:39:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I don't.  Never have.
View Quote
Only on big radials here.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 5:44:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Hold it down with clamps, that way you can easily adjust it's location after you secure something in the vise.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 5:48:59 PM EDT
[#27]
if your drill press has T-slots t-nut, bolt and washer. if no T-slot use a big c clamp. if that doesn't work turn your vice so the handle hits the back column so your vice handle pushes into the column in relation to rotation
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 6:00:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Buy a mill.
View Quote

Nailed it…

Link Posted: 12/1/2022 6:13:35 PM EDT
[#29]
That’s what kids are for.

No, I use the clamps goatrider recommended.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 6:21:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 6:24:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 6:39:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Weld it.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 6:45:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Bolts with wing nuts
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 6:46:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Get one of theses.

Linky

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 6:47:28 PM EDT
[#35]

This and step clamps are most versatile setup in my opinion.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 6:49:24 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm a simple man, I use C clamps.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 6:54:44 PM EDT
[#37]
MissingImage

Link Posted: 12/1/2022 7:00:16 PM EDT
[#38]
FastblueR6?
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 7:02:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
A couple of C-clamps work if all else fails.
View Quote

That's what I've used for 40 years.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 7:17:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Mine is set up just to chamfer holes.  When I did need a vise I use these clamps in the T slots.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 7:21:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 7:54:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

whats the table look like?

View Quote

like so:
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 7:55:11 PM EDT
[#43]
What is your other screen name?

Link Posted: 12/1/2022 8:06:46 PM EDT
[#44]

That's what I did.  Bought a similar one and vice from ENCO way back in the day.  Cheap Chinese stuff.  I unboxed them and totally reworked the ways and screws, support bearings.  Has served me well for about 15 years now.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 8:08:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Nuts, bolts...

...perhaps some square washers or strut brackets (as washers)
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 8:14:21 PM EDT
[#46]
You need a 3/4" mild steel titanium plate to act as an interface to adapt the two together. Tap threads for top and bottom and use some grade 8 bolts.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 8:15:18 PM EDT
[#47]

I have that set.

Great for 80% lowers.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 10:02:13 PM EDT
[#48]

Stop trying to square the vise up with the table.

Turn it 45 degrees.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 10:06:50 PM EDT
[#49]
MissingImage

Or if you have the budget
MissingImage

Link Posted: 12/1/2022 10:16:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
The answer is in your title.
View Quote

This is my favorite answer so far.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top