Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2024 8:11:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cat-mechanic]
Hi everyone. 14 years ago we got a brother and sister Shepherd Pitt mixes. Magnum and Kimber. Magnum is diabetic and on insulin. He’s a picky eater and we’ve tried many different foods and now boiled chicken and rice. He’s got several large tumors. Nothing cancerous or that the vet is worried about. He’s also got arthritis and doesn’t get around very easily. But then all of a sudden he’ll wake up one morning and troy to the kitchen for breakfast. He’s still there mentally. But his body is failing. We know he’s close and he’s had a great life. But are we just keeping him alive for us at this point?
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 8:14:39 PM EDT
[#1]
quality of life.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 8:15:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I have been through this many times, and two of my best friends are vets that I've discussed it with.

When your dog is no longer enjoying life, and you are just waiting for a crisis, it's time.

Most people wait too long. I usually do.

Then, what's easiest for the dog is hardest for you, and what's hardest for the dog is what's easiest for you. Choose who you want it to be easiest for.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 8:16:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Riter:
quality of life.
View Quote

Yeah he basically eats and sleeps, and a couple trips out back each day to go to the bathroom. So I’m sure it’s close to being time.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 8:21:48 PM EDT
[#4]
our oldest golden is 12.5 and sleeps alot but loves his publix deep fried chicken and steak tacos from 7 food mart and golf cart rides so he is not ready to go
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 9:00:23 PM EDT
[#5]
This is one thing that I have never been man enough to do. Even my last Rottie I promised him I wouldnt let him suffer and I still couldnt do it. His last few months were pretty rough, but I was determined in my own mind that he was going to pull through, and I let him suffer for it.  I will never forgive myself for that. Not Ever.  The only part that makes me feel better about it is knowing that he didnt die alone. For some reason my son curled up on the floor with him that night and that was when he passed. He has been gone 5 years last week it it still brings tears to my eyes when I talk about it. Right now I cant even see the screen to type.  I pray when your time to step up comes around yopu are able to make that call.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 9:40:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I guess you will know when it’s time. That’s all I can say
My 11 yr old springer is diabetic and on vetsulin twice daily and has bad cataracts so not fully blind but outside in bright conditions she seems lost, I think because of the glare in her eyes. She had her yearly vet visit in January and she’s healthy except for those ailments. Lots of small tumors (non cancer) and one huge one inside her hind leg but she gets around okay. She is NOT in pain and it’s apparent when she gleefully rolls in the snow over and over again. She gets so much love from us and the family when they visit and the 2 grandchildren loved her to death. We can see her slowing down week by week…she no longer accompanies me to the mailbox but will sit up on her hill and wait for me. THAT day will come but not right now. Try to gauge how his pain is and go from there!
That’s all I can say.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 9:52:40 PM EDT
[#7]
when they don't bother to get up and move to take a shit, you know it's time.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 3:09:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Rodent:
I have been through this many times, and two of my best friends are vets that I've discussed it with.

When your dog is no longer enjoying life, and you are just waiting for a crisis, it's time.

Most people wait too long. I usually do.

Then, what's easiest for the dog is hardest for you, and what's hardest for the dog is what's easiest for you. Choose who you want it to be easiest for.
View Quote

Well said. We went through this with our 12 ridgeback last summer. It was really tough - she was alert and seemed to be doing fine but was struggling to breathe well. She had fluid building in her chest cavity. It was clear that eventually she wouldn't be able to breathe. I had a mobile vet come and do the deed. No way in hell did I want her to get to the point of suffering.

The week prior the vet drained 3 liters (!!) of fluid from her chest. In that week, it had returned.

To me, your situation isn't as clear or obvious. Just keep watching and don't wait too long.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 3:24:01 PM EDT
[#9]
We just put 2 of our 3 dogs down about 6-8 months ago.  Granted,  1 dog had a brain tumor and the other cancer.  But both were quality of life.  Unfortunately with the brain tumor,  we had only enough time to make an appointment with an in home euthanasia (about 5 or 6 days) and put her down.  The other with cancer, with treatment, he passed after 6 months from diagnosis.  

Our 3rd dog, she is 13 (pitty mix) and she spends most of her day sleeping on the couch or in bed.  She has some of the same stuff u mentioned OP.  Lumps, bumps and arthritis.    None of the lumps/bumps are cancer and her arthritis she's doing fine with medication (1 pill a day).  Since she was 12, I have taken her to the vet every 6 months abd make sure everything is fine.  Blood work, urine/fecal, x-rays (her lower back is where the arthritis is) and everything still comes back fine.  

We did have a 4th dogs years ago.  (Lab/pit mix) that lived to be 15 almost 16.  He is the one that wr should have put down probably a month b4 we did.  He's quality of life was crap.  He was bumping into walls/ not eating drinking much, lost control of his bladder, ect ect.  But he was my wifes first "big girl" dog and we weren't mentally prepared to lose him yet.  But the day we put him down we felt horrible cause we let it get as bad as it was.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 9:21:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for all the insight and everyone’s stories. We’ve made the decision and his appointment is tomorrow.

He’s been going downhill the past couple days and wouldn’t eat anything yesterday. Today he’s eaten very little and having trouble walking. Then once we made the decision and appointment, he got up and ate dinner. His blood sugar has been all over the place.

We’ll see how tonight goes.

Thanks again.

Link Posted: 3/14/2024 11:54:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By cat-mechanic:
Then once we made the decision and appointment, he got up and ate dinner.
View Quote

That's how my dog I had during high school/college was.  She was 17 and everything was failing.  Took her to the vet and she perked right up and was acting like she was all better.  Made it even worse and made me question my decision for a while.  But I knew it was for the best no matter how much it hurt.  

Link Posted: 3/15/2024 5:12:48 PM EDT
[#12]
And he’s gone. The vets office has chocolate so he got one last special treat before it happened. It was a very peaceful process.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 8:29:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Sorry to hear it. It's hard to let them go. I know for sure that he is in good company though.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 3:50:59 PM EDT
[#14]
And he’s gone. The vets office has chocolate so he got one last special treat before it happened. It was a very peaceful process.
View Quote

I'm so sorry for your loss OP.  But just know he's not hurting anymore and you did the right thing.  I know those words don't help now.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 3:58:45 PM EDT
[#15]
I’m so sorry OP. I had to,say goodbye to my best friend yesterday. She did let me know it was time
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 4:46:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Riter:
quality of life.
View Quote
This.  Are you doing it for you or doing it for him?  When they reach the point that they're in pain, won't eat, can't enjoy the things they always did and just look at you with sad eyes all the time...IMO that's when you owe it to them.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 4:50:43 PM EDT
[#17]
And he's gone. The vets office has chocolate so he got one last special treat before it happened. It was a very peaceful process.
View Quote
Thank you for being there with him.  The vet told me "you'd be surprised at how many people just leave them and say they can't be here to see it".  I can't think of a more heartless thing than to NOT be there when they're scared and feel death coming.

We've had to put down several over the years.  Some went to the vets office, some I had a mobile vet come to the house.  I bawled like a baby at all of them.  And they all passed being hugged, petted, loved on and spoken to by at least me, and sometimes us all (wife, kids, etc).  They knew they were being loved.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 4:51:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By motoguy:
This.  Are you doing it for you or doing it for him?  When they reach the point that they're in pain, won't eat, can't enjoy the things they always did and just look at you with sad eyes all the time...IMO that's when you owe it to them.
View Quote

The sad eyes were how she let me know
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 4:58:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GlutealCleft] [#19]
(deleted)
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 6:51:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks again everyone. Yeah, there was no way I’d have let home go through this alone. My wife and I were both with him and petting him. I was surprised how fast the medication acted. He got one to put him to sleep and then layed down and then the next to stop his heart and 30 seconds later he was gone.

Now we struggle with the other dogs, especially his sister. She just lays and stares at the wall. They’ve only been apart maybe 2-3 days their entire life. So I’ve got to keep her busy.

We’re adjusting. Still hard because he’s been a part of the family for almost 15 years.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top