Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/25/2022 4:04:32 PM EDT
Obviously they stop the bleeding but after that...

Do they pump you back full of blood in the ER or how do they treat that?

Can you have brain damage and paralysis similar to a stroke?
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 4:07:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Stop the bleeding with tourniquets and hemostatic dressings, TXA, followed by fluids, mass transfusion of blood products, and vasopressors.  Possibly surgical intervention if necessary and they’re stable enough for the OR.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 4:10:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Stop the bleeding with tourniquets and hemostatic dressings, TXA, followed by fluids, mass transfusion of blood products, and vasopressors.  Possibly surgical intervention if necessary and they’re stable enough for the OR.
View Quote

What sort of surgery? You mean repairing the vein/artery or something else? Any loss of brain function in extreme cases?

Link Posted: 9/25/2022 4:12:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 4:14:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

What sort of surgery? You mean repairing the vein/artery or something else? Any loss of brain function in extreme cases?

View Quote

Repairing arteries/veins, tendons, nerves...
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 4:14:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
I would assume so. However, I'd bet that pt. codes from all the blood loss.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 4:14:47 PM EDT
[#6]
The ER is going to treat you like any other bleeding trauma patient, and do all the resuscitation that's appropriate, as was said above. Vein injuries may need to go to the OR. Arterial injuries almost certainly will need the OR and a vascular surgeon to repair.

After they're medically stabilized, then you get social work and psychiatry involved to take it from there.

ETA: As a resident, I got called down to the hospital psych unit for a patient who had broken a mirror and took the shards and cut the inside of her elbow pretty good. Didn't hit anything major. As I walked into the psych unit, she was picking at her subcutaneous tissue, looked up at me and said, "Where's the vein? Why didn't I hit it? Where is it?"

I'm looking at her like .
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 4:16:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 4:17:47 PM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 9/25/2022 4:18:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Vascular repair is certainly an option.  Brain damage is certainly possible depending on the circumstances like how long they were bleeding.  Basically, hypovolemic shock causes a lack of oxygenation to be delivered to vital organs.  The body will naturally shunt to the vital organs as much as possible, but there’s only so much it can do.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 4:20:38 PM EDT
[#10]
All traumatic injury gets the same treatment: high and tight tourniquet, start CPR, call Fire.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 4:22:26 PM EDT
[#11]
If they do it the "right" way it must be a pretty narrow window to stop the bleeding and save them.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 4:32:10 PM EDT
[#12]
OP should you be calling 911 instead of asking us stuff right now?
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 4:38:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 4:42:17 PM EDT
[#14]

I just sent that to several friends, told them to pass it on to people who could benefit.  A valuable PSA.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 4:56:49 PM EDT
[#15]
It's treated like any other trauma, except they're put under a 72 hour psych hold where they can't leave.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 4:59:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
OP should you be calling 911 instead of asking us stuff right now?
View Quote

I'm not a moran. I know how to apply a tourniquet. I'm just asking about if there are any long term effects. I don't need to call anyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 5:02:18 PM EDT
[#17]
I wouldn't know.

The attention whores I've dated
including wife #2 know they won't
actually hurt themselves, and have
"cut" their forearms with almost
invisible, superficial wounds.

It's all so tiresome.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 5:08:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Bringing Out the Dead (7/9) Movie CLIP - Worst Suicide Attempt Ever (1999) HD
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 5:13:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'm not a moran. I know how to apply a tourniquet. I'm just asking about if there are any long term effects. I don't need to call anyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
View Quote

Plenty of people walking around with scars because they went "across the street."
Never seen a picture of someone with scars who cut "down the block."
Besides the scars & the mental issues, what other long term effects could thee be?

They stop the bleeding the same way they stop all bleeding, & then if you're still alive they fill you back up & send you to surgery if necessary.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 5:19:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Talk to someone, OP
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 5:25:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Nowadays they sew them up, give them a paper dress for 48 hrs then turn them out
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 5:27:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Direction of cut matters. Cross cut is easier to fix than vertical. (Across artery/vein vs. With artery/vein)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top