Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2021 10:57:31 PM EDT
Got my dog used over six years ago and she's an abused animal.  Recently got a cat and the cat figured out how skittish the dog is.  If the cat touches the dog, the dog recoiled.  Tonight the cat body bumped the dog and the dog ran off.  Cat tries to follow the dog in the house to harass it.  I want to dog to be able to stand up for herself.   She is such a sweet, gentle animal unused to being the aggressor (unless it's an animal that will flee, then she's a braveheart).

Suggestions?
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:03:07 PM EDT
[#1]
You aare not going to "toughen" the old gal.  Dog became a poor dog in its abused youth.  Just love her for what she is, a loyal companion.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:15:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree , plus you might be surprised if you were threaded ......?
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:25:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I also agree that you are not going to change the dog,s nature at this point.

If the cat is being cruel to the dog I would try to keep them apart.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:36:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys.  I've a couple of squirt bottles at hand and if the cat bothers the dog....

The cat took the dog's normal spot on the floor too.  

Cat was my barncat and I think it was an abandoned housecat before becoming a barncat.  It's been around the place for seven months now and was originally frightened if it even saw me looking at him through a window.   Clever animal evaded a couple of foxes (one of which walked into the garage looking for it).  On Tuesday (last week) it spent four hours on the welcome mat by the kitchen door.  Freezing weather.  Wednesday it snowed and the cat was a no-show.  Thursday it wanted in and once in, disappeared.  Didn't see it again until Friday evening.  That it makes itself so much at home reinforces my belief that it was once a housecat.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:46:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Got my dog used over six years ago and she's an abused animal.  Recently got a cat and the cat figured out how skittish the dog is.  If the cat touches the dog, the dog recoiled.  Tonight the cat body bumped the dog and the dog ran off.  Cat tries to follow the dog in the house to harass it.  I want to dog to be able to stand up for herself.   She is such a sweet, gentle animal unused to being the aggressor (unless it's an animal that will flee, then she's a braveheart).

Suggestions?
View Quote

Maybe the question should be how can you teach your cat to be less of an asshole?
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:55:44 PM EDT
[#6]
6 years old is not the time to start training a dog, especially to be aggressive.  Enjoy the dog, eventually the cat will cross a line and the dog will react, let the dog make the line in the sand.

I've been involved in schützen training for Rottweilers, it's not simple and not a switch you flick.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:57:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Maybe the question should be how can you teach your cat to be less of an asshole?
View Quote

I did buy two spray bottles specifically for cat behavior modification.
Quoted:
6 years old is not the time to start training a dog, especially to be aggressive.  Enjoy the dog, eventually the cat will cross a line and the dog will react, let the dog make the line in the sand.

I've been involved in schützen training for Rottweilers, it's not simple and not a switch you flick.
View Quote

Since I got her used, I think she is actually 13 now.  Vet thought she and her brother were 6-7 when I adopted them.

I hope so.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 3:53:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Just add Ferrel Cat Remover 2.2
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 4:43:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You aare not going to "toughen" the old gal.  Dog became a poor dog in its abused youth.  Just love her for what she is, a loyal companion.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 6:15:30 AM EDT
[#10]
No, aggression is largely genetic. I guess you could try chaining it up outside 95% of the time and abusing it a lot, but I wouldn’t recommend it.

Aggression and dominance in dogs are just there or they ain’t. End of story. K9s & MWDs that are guaranteed to bite & stay in the fight even if injured are intense to a level you wouldn’t believe & certainly wouldn’t want around as a pet.

The differences are obvious on the Schutzhund field, some dogs are biting the sleeve because they were told to, some are playing a game or maybe fighting the sleeve, & some dogs are fighting the decoy and want to rip is damn arm off his body.

The latter is who will actually get some if a burglar kicks down the door, fluffy from the pound will not.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:11:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Finally figured out that the cat wants to be affectionate or playful with the dog. The dog doesn't even know how to play with other dogs (or a toy).  The only time I've seen her play is at the river when other dogs are playing.  After a while, her lightbulb goes on and she figures out it's fun to run with other dogs.

ETA:
51-40 said:
Enjoy the dog, eventually the cat will cross a line and the dog will react, let the dog make the line in the sand.
View Quote

Darn if you're not right. This morning the cat brushed up against the dog and the dog growled.  Cat jumped back and scampered away.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 4:06:48 PM EDT
[#12]
If your cat is a dick long enough, the dog will fix the situation. You don’t intentionally want to try to make a dog aggressive. Then it becomes unpredictable.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 4:33:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Have him post in GD and draw out all the cat people.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:10:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Cat went between Sarah's legs (front & back) and beneath the Sarah's belly.  Sarah didn't like it and barked.  Cat scampered away.  Sharah will be fine.  Presently they're both sleeping on the floor within close proxmity of one another.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:22:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Dogs have different personalities just like people.
Even among all breeds there (even peeboos) are
Dogs that just have a gentle nature.

Let them be.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top