Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 8/16/2022 7:27:29 PM EDT
How are people even selling just unused items or guns or NODs, scopes, etc in the EE not going to get hit with tax forms for more than $600 in sales?  Seems like the IRS is going to assume it is income, even if selling at a loss.  Selling something a few years later you bought at $1,000 for $700 will be reported and hit someone's tax reporting?
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:28:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Fuck the IRS
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:29:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I send Friends money all the time to help with their utilities.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:30:59 PM EDT
[#3]
It would seem that you could declare your cost and attempt to fix that, but it will be a pain.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:31:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I think you're overestimating their ability to actually do their jobs.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:31:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I’m going to have to talk to my BIL as he’s a CPA. Im afraid my knife business will be defunct.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:31:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Bro, it was signed into law 17 MONTHS AGO.

Yes, it is assumed income and reported with a 1099 to the IRS (if paid electronically). The burden is on the taxpayer/seller to prove it's not income.

For once Bidet didn't lie, there won't be any new taxes on people with income is less then $400k, the current laws will just be ENFORCED.

Quoted:
I’m going to have to talk to my BIL as he’s a CPA. Im afraid my knife business will be defunct.
View Quote

Why? Just form a LLC, get an EIN, and pay taxes on the profit. Chances are you'll make more money or the same since you can write off all supplies and mileage.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:34:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't sell things online. I just send money to friends and family to help in these tough times.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:35:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm still worried this will impact my wife. I send her grocery money on cashapp.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:37:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Friends and family get my PP transfers. I don’t use PP to sell things.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:37:48 PM EDT
[#10]
I only accept USPS money order or cash. This helps alleviate tax issues.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:43:02 PM EDT
[#11]
I know someone who’s $7,000 into G&S sales on his own stuff this year. I asked him about it and he said his wife (a CPA) will take care of it and not to worry.

I guess if your spouse isn’t a CPA (or you don’t pay for one) then you’re screwed.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:44:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Yep. I've met some good folks here and from time to time, I've helped them get back on their feet. Some have helped me. Just generous charity.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:47:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Money orders still work, right?  You can pay cash for them, right?  The solution, at least for the moment, is obvious.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:48:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yep. I've met some good folks here and from time to time, I've helped them get back on their feet. Some have helped me. Just generous charity.
View Quote

The problem there is that the IRS gets to determine what is income.

They can look at that money and say "We think that's income" and now you have to prove to their satisfaction that it isn't. You can appeal their decisions...to administrative officials who also work for the IRS. Guess what they usually do?

So if you're going to go to the mat and actually get any relief you will need a lawyer and you'll need to sue in federal court. Guess how much that costs?

If the IRS says you owe, you owe unless you can successfully navigate their system or litigate outside of it.  

Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:49:29 PM EDT
[#15]
I’ve been taking huge losses all year.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 8:03:24 PM EDT
[#16]
I regularly use PayPal to request money from the wife for shared costs (groceries and shared house stuff mostly). Not sure if that'll be considered income now. Does PayPal report gift/family transfers, or just "commercial" ones? I only do it every couple months so it's usually over $600.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 8:05:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

ya I wont be reporting shit
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 8:11:10 PM EDT
[#18]
How interdasting that the major online payment systems did not make a big fuss about this.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 8:11:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Friends and family get my PP transfers. I don't use PP to sell things.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/16/2022 8:12:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I regularly use PayPal to request money from the wife for shared costs (groceries and shared house stuff mostly). Not sure if that'll be considered income now. Does PayPal report gift/family transfers, or just "commercial" ones? I only do it every couple months so it's usually over $600.
View Quote
Friends and family is not reported as income under the new law and paypals policies.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 8:12:55 PM EDT
[#21]
See last week's thread. Declaring zero profit on used household items.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 8:15:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

You can gift individuals up to $10,000 per person per year without it being taxed. Flip side, you may receive up to $10,000 in cash gifts from a person in a year without having to declare it
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 8:16:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I only accept USPS money order or cash. This helps alleviate tax issues.
View Quote

Same
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 8:16:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
See last week's thread. Declaring zero profit on used household items.
View Quote

Link?
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 8:18:42 PM EDT
[#25]
That's why you use Zelle instead of the others.  There is no clearinghouse with Zelle, so nothing to be reported.  It's direct bank-to-bank transfer and there is no cost to it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 8:20:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Fuck the IRS
View Quote

In the poop-shooter.

Wait.  The requirements for those new jobs actually wants that.

Record anybody/anything that knocks on your door.  Then, turn your rabid 'breed of peace' on them.  Or, your Chihuahua.  Either way, Fido is going to die.  Along with the douchebag who knocked on your door.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 8:21:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I know someone who’s $7,000 into G&S sales on his own stuff this year. I asked him about it and he said his wife (a CPA) will take care of it and not to worry.

I guess if your spouse isn’t a CPA (or you don’t pay for one) then you’re screwed.
View Quote

You can do anything you want with your return, as long as you don’t get audited
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 8:22:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Bro, it was signed into law 17 MONTHS AGO.

Yes, it is assumed income and reported with a 1099 to the IRS (if paid electronically). The burden is on the taxpayer/seller to prove it's not income.

For once Bidet didn't lie, there won't be any new taxes on people with income is less then $400k, the current laws will just be ENFORCED.

Why? Just form a LLC, get an EIN, and pay taxes on the profit. Chances are you'll make more money or the same since you can write off all supplies and mileage.
View Quote

That costs a whole ton of money if you’re not making more than a few thousand per year on it.

“Just form an llc”

Lol
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 8:23:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Money orders, crypto, and precious metals.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 8:25:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

That’s actually what is scary... it’s just easier for these drones to enter your SSN into whatever nightmarish computer program they have hit a few keys then magically all your accounts are frozen....

Yeah fuck all that. I’m afraid they are incompetent and not well trained yet have terrifying power to fuck up your life.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 8:27:38 PM EDT
[#31]
I think in the short term it wont be much of an issue, but in the long run, the money handlers (venmo, paypal, etc.) will be the ones gearing up for the reporting.  They will do it because they are either run by leftist, statist, pick-an-ist or under threat from the feds.

What we are seeing is the Gov wants to tap into the "use vehicle or home sale tax" but on an everything scale.  A new vehicle gets taxed and so the same vehicle when it is sold used 3 more times.  I am sure there will be a mechanism to "claim loses" on sales, but it will likely require detail records or threats of audits.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 8:29:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The problem there is that the IRS gets to determine what is income.

They can look at that money and say "We think that's income" and now you have to prove to their satisfaction that it isn't. You can appeal their decisions...to administrative officials who also work for the IRS. Guess what they usually do?

So if you're going to go to the mat and actually get any relief you will need a lawyer and you'll need to sue in federal court. Guess how much that costs?

If the IRS says you owe, you owe unless you can successfully navigate their system or litigate outside of it.  

View Quote

IRS Audit Rates
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 8:32:06 PM EDT
[#33]
So I buy a gun for 1400, and I sell it for 1300. I have to pay taxes on 1300?!

Fuck that

I should be able to write off the 100 dollar loss. If you're gonna tax every fucking gain, I'll write off every fucking loss.

Right?
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 8:34:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Fuck that

I should be able to write off the 100 dollar loss. If you're gonna tax every fucking gain, I'll write off every fucking loss.

Right?
View Quote

You can't write that off. Not unless you're a business complete with EIN and FFL in this hypothetical.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 8:34:43 PM EDT
[#35]
View Quote
What's behind the audit drop? IRS staffing shortages due to attrition and decreased funding. Since fiscal year 2011,

Well they just fixed that.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 8:35:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
That's why you use Zelle instead of the others.  There is no clearinghouse with Zelle, so nothing to be reported.  It's direct bank-to-bank transfer and there is no cost to it.
View Quote

I'm pretty sure the banks are the IRS at this point
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 8:37:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 8:37:57 PM EDT
[#38]
There will soon be 87,000 new IRS Agents to find out!

FUCK Joe Biden!

How did you pay the babysitter?
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 8:42:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
You must have never been audited. They can be relentless when it comes to filling their quota! And they don't care that it cost us taxpayers thousands to collect $100, it's all about quota. And they will be back next year because you are now a known crook.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 8:48:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
How interdasting that the major online payment systems did not make a big fuss about this.
View Quote
Because "THIS" locks the new players in the game out of the market.

Ebay has thousands of low paid indians to code their shit and get things to work more or less right.

Start ups don't, and won't.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 8:53:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
How are people even selling just unused items or guns or NODs, scopes, etc in the EE not going to get hit with tax forms for more than $600 in sales?  Seems like the IRS is going to assume it is income, even if selling at a loss.  Selling something a few years later you bought at $1,000 for $700 will be reported and hit someone's tax reporting?
View Quote

How are they going to know unless they report it?
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 8:53:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

87,000 dumbass fuckheads is enough to fuck your day up.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 8:55:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

You can gift individuals up to $10,000 per person per year without it being taxed. Flip side, you may receive up to $10,000 in cash gifts from a person in a year without having to declare it
View Quote

So lots of gifting.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 8:59:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

You need to update your info. It was $15,000 in 2021, for 2022 it was raised to $16,000.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 9:01:31 PM EDT
[#45]
The government has always wanted to be able to tax income from garage sales and people selling stuff out of their yards or the classifieds. The only reason they couldn’t was because there was no efficient, practical way to monitor and compile the information needed to locate, identify and prosecute violators.

Along comes technology and PRIVATE businesses…who very helpfully create a digital world with VERY thorough record-keeping, and soon the people have all transitioned from nameless, faceless cash-for-goods exchanges to PayPal/Venmo/etc. And since they’re a private business, they’re free to give your transaction history to whoever they want, including the government, even without some garbage 1099 requirement. The government doesn’t even have to work hard to get the information - they just ask PayPal for Gunner226’s transaction history, and they have it all - right there. Its as if you kept a detailed ledger from your garage sale and then mailed it to your favorite IRS auditor.

The reality is, if you owe it now, you owed it before, too. That doesn’t make it right, or moral, it’s just that now they can catch you easier.

People with cash side-hustles are going to be outed really easily. The algorithms will be able to easily find the people that are living beyond their (reported) means, and one of those 87,000 new IRS employees will be tasked to look into it. There will be no more hiding.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 9:02:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

So lots of gifting.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So lots of gifting.

Tis better to give than to receive
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 9:06:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Fuck that

Right?
View Quote

Sure, do you have receipts?
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 9:07:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 9:10:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The government has always wanted to be able to tax income from garage sales and people selling stuff out of their yards or the classifieds. The only reason they couldn’t was because there was no efficient, practical way to monitor and compile the information needed to locate, identify and prosecute violators.

Along comes technology and PRIVATE businesses…who very helpfully create a digital world with VERY thorough record-keeping, and soon the people have all transitioned from nameless, faceless cash-for-goods exchanges to PayPal/Venmo/etc. And since they’re a private business, they’re free to give your transaction history to whoever they want, including the government, even without some garbage 1099 requirement. The government doesn’t even have to work hard to get the information - they just ask PayPal for Gunner226’s transaction history, and they have it all - right there. Its as if you kept a detailed ledger from your garage sale and then mailed it to your favorite IRS auditor.

The reality is, if you owe it now, you owed it before, too. That doesn’t make it right, or moral, it’s just that now they can catch you easier.

People with cash side-hustles are going to be outed really easily. The algorithms will be able to easily find the people that are living beyond their (reported) means, and one of those 87,000 new IRS employees will be tasked to look into it. There will be no more hiding.
View Quote

It is absolute BULLSHIT they can tax good every time they change hands. Fuck that.

Sales tax on new sales, but used stuff?

Already been taxed.

Absolute garbage
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 9:11:28 PM EDT
[#50]
I would imagine the irs will be going back on peoples accounts even before the 1099 were required. Lots of side hustle businesses out there.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top