Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2018 11:08:32 AM EDT
Recently came into a pile of the old style wood drill bits, with the square tapered shank (Brace Shank?). Some are nice and shiny and in good condition, but others have a rusty, brown patina to them.

I'd like to clean them up to use them, but don't know the best way.

I've read that soaking in vinegar can help remove rust, then clean with a wire brush. Will this affect the steel at all?

I've also read up on electrolysis machines / set-ups, but don't really want to go this route, as I don't think it's super necessary for what I want / need.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 11:28:22 AM EDT
[#1]
All the old boring bits I have used in a brace had patina.  They worked just fine.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 11:41:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
All the old boring bits I have used in a brace had patina.  They worked just fine.
View Quote
Yeah, outside the rusted ones, I'd leave them be - maybe put a file on the cutting edge, but that's it.   Those that are rusted can go in a vinegar bath (cup of vinegar to a gallon of water) overnight which will clean then up pretty good - maybe need a little wire brush.  Then dry and a good coat of oil.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 12:50:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote
Only the screw tip and scoring and cutting edge do the real work.

Steel wool and some oil.

Any roughness on the helix CAN cause clogging in deeper holes though.

Using electroplating techniques can clean them up nicely.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 1:29:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Put them in a shadow display box and buy a decent set of Forstner bits and spade bits for rougher work.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 4:22:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Put them in a shadow display box and buy a decent set of Forstner bits and spade bits for rougher work.
View Quote
I still use 24 inch (and longer) 'ship auger bits' in a 1/2 inch low RPM (600 RPM) drill for running electric cables through wood studs.

You can make the hole in teh 2x4 shallow enough to the stud face to be centered correctly on both sides, even if the drywall is already installed.

It makes a long narrow hole in the drywall that is easy enough to patch with setting compound and fiberglass tape on 'old work.'

The screws that self feeds auger style bits save a lot of wear and tear on the person operating the drill.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 5:24:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Use them and they will clean themselves.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top