Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/19/2023 1:12:50 PM EDT
I have about an acre of hardwood floors and I finally hired help to help me clean. There's a handful of house cleaners which come with references but none with openings so my husband hired a past employee of our neighbor (she owned a connivence store and our house keeper worked for her with good references.). She cleaned last week for the first time. She has a two hour minimum (which is fine as it takes about 90 minutes to do the floors) so I gave her the instructions to dust and to clean the window seals then the floors. She started on the floors first so I stopped her and told her that it made more sense to dust and do the window seals first then sweep. She said her way was better. Then she proceeded to use a broom on the floors. Using a broom is ridiculous-we have wood heat and fans throughout the house so anything you sweep will be redistributed throughout the house. I intervened and gave her my vacuum. I got a scowl but whatever. After she finished I did a quick glance and brought up that she only dusted around the objects (my husband has a ridiculous collection of antique cameras that need dusting) and that the window seals were still dirty. She said that no one moves objects when dusting and that I was too picky. (Scratches head). She did do a great job on the floors. I paid her for her time. My husband has delegate me to deal with her. I think she did a half ass job. I had to redo the dusting and windows.
I grew up with house keepers and my grandmother would have fired her on the spot. Her hourly rate is reasonable but should I just accept that she is only good at floors?

for the chest thumpers she's in her mid 40's looks older than I do and is about as round as she is tall. Pleasant woman just not a great cleaner.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 1:16:19 PM EDT
[#1]
You are the customer; if she isn't performing satisfactorily, find someone else. As long as you are paying for it, you can be as picky as you want.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 1:16:55 PM EDT
[#2]
You're going to find out that pretty much no one will clean the way you want it cleaned.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 1:17:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Get a new one.

The person with the best price and openings is cheap for a reason.

Round ones take short cuts. Low body fat and energy will clean quickly. If body fat is too low they are on drugs.

ETA: you’ll also find that round men in construction are usually the cheapest, take the longest to finish a job, and are more often late than on time.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 1:19:16 PM EDT
[#4]
The old adage “If you want something done right do it yourself” is true.

You can hardly expect a maid to go things the way you want the first time.  Everyone has different expectations and ways they want their house cleaned.  A stranger can’t be expected to read your mind and do it that way.  Having had maids in foreign countries I have lived in, each takes some time to clean according to your taste.  In time, they will get there though.  You will know when you get one you can keep.  Personalities weigh in heavily here.  

So yes, you were being picky.  And yes, your expectations were too high.  Next time you try, explain your expectations up front with the understanding that over time they will be met.  Patience is important.

Just my two cents, again, having had several maids.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 1:19:38 PM EDT
[#5]
It's nearly impossible to find anyone nowadays.

Link Posted: 11/19/2023 1:20:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You're going to find out that pretty much no one will clean the way you want it cleaned.
View Quote

I’m the opposite. My house cleaner is a pro. I let her do it her way. She’s the pro and I’m not going to tell her how to do her job.

She spends 2 hours in the kitchen alone. Another hour in the master bath. It’s immaculate.

She’s been cleaning for us for 15 years. Knows where all the guns are and that they’re loaded.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 1:21:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Quoted:
The person with the best price and openings is cheap for a reason.
View Quote
All of that.

Somewhere in between you might find something acceptable.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 1:21:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You are the customer; if she isn't performing satisfactorily, find someone else. As long as you are paying for it, you can be as picky as you want.
View Quote
This is how I was raised. Unfortunately there isn't any one to take her place that I am comfortable leaving alone in my house. I do trust she won't rob me blind.

im thinking about just having her do the floors. She only did the hardwood floors last week so she could sweep and mop the bathrooms, kitchen and vacuum the rooms might take a tad more than two hours but a big weight off my shoulders.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 1:23:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd find someone new.  That said, I'm about to hire someone to clean my moms house.  Probably less detailed than what you are looking for, but I have big reservations about it, for similar reasons you state.

I always seem to get screwed when I hire services.  I need to hire someone to hire services for me.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 1:23:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Alot of people buy homes and their respective yards based around what it takes to maintain/clean them.

A big house with a big yard is going to take alot of work to maintain and keep clean.

I couldn't imagine paying someone to do this these things for me. Especially if you're just sitting at home watching over their shoulder while they do the work.

If you want something done right, you do it yourself.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 1:23:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The old adage "If you want something done right do it yourself" is true.

You can hardly expect a maid to go things the way you want the first time.  Everyone has different expectations and ways they want their house cleaned.  A stranger can't be expected to read your mind and do it that way.  Having had maids in foreign countries I have lived in, each takes some time to clean according to your taste.  In time, they will get there though.  You will know when you get one you can keep.  Personalities weigh in heavily here.  

So yes, you were being picky.  And yes, your expectations were too high.  Next time you try, explain your expectations up front with the understanding that over time they will be met.  Patience is important.

View Quote
Seriously? It's too high of an expectation to expect it to be clean when she's done? Is that where we are in the world?
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 1:25:32 PM EDT
[#12]
The ' rule of thumb ' means you can beat her with a stick no bigger than your thumb.

Do that, and see if she doesn't act straight.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 1:25:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Cleaning Woman?!!

Link Posted: 11/19/2023 1:29:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Alot of people buy homes and their respective yards based around what it takes to maintain/clean them.

A big house with a big yard is going to take alot of work to maintain and keep clean.

I couldn't imagine paying someone to do this these things for me. Especially if you're just sitting at home watching over their shoulder while they do the work.

If you want something done right, you do it yourself.
View Quote
Wow great jumping to conclusions Batman! I don't just sit around and watch people work. I work about 100 hours a week at two jobs. I have very bad hips and the floors are a burden for me. It made sense to hire help. I really don't gaf how it's cleaned but I am not going to pay someone to chase dirt around because they don't realize that the fans will prohibit them from accomplishing their task. I was kind to her. I said oh man that's way too much work use the vacuum and she scowled at me (I assumed she was embarrassed). I do expect that it's clean when she's done. You can't say you've dusted a shelf when 50% of the dust is still there.
*ETA* I took the day off to meet her and show her around. Normally I would be at work. We've owned our home  since 1994 and have aged since then.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 1:31:15 PM EDT
[#15]
I'd try to find someone new before you contemplate getting rid of her, and maybe a trial run at that.

My mom was absolutely picky with the dusting. No one ever did it to her satisfaction. People joke about holding flashlights for their dad, well, I had to dust for my mom. And got fired. I am still impacted by those experiences later in life. I feel my moms yelling when I see dust in my house. I deal with it once in a while and before she visits. My wife laughs at me when I am hitting things with canned air before she arrives.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 1:34:25 PM EDT
[#16]
I might give her a second chance with the explicit instructions that she do it your way, even though her way is “better”.

Either that or buy a robot vac. We have 2200 square feet of wood and I do the floors. I run it twice a week or so and every 2 weeks do a manual job. Makes it easier, but it’s not perfect.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 1:34:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'd try to find someone new before you contemplate getting rid of her, and maybe a trial run at that.

My mom was absolutely picky with the dusting. No one ever did it to her satisfaction. People joke about holding flashlights for their dad, well, I had to dust for my mom. And got fired. I am still impacted by those experiences later in life. I feel my moms yelling when I see dust in my house. I deal with it once in a while and before she visits. My wife laughs at me when I am hitting things with canned air before she arrives.
View Quote
Yes my mother traumatized me over making my bed. She ripped the covers off of it about 25 times before I finally asked what exactly she wanted. She had never taught me to make it. I did follow her example with my kids but I showed them first what I expected and 90% of the time they did a fine job. Every now and then I had to send them back to redo something.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 1:35:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep.

Link Posted: 11/19/2023 1:35:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Our house cleaner came with the house.  She is Native American and has worked at hotels.  She KNOWS what she is doing.  She’ll WILL take suggestions on new projects.  Works inside one day and outside another.  Overall no complaints.  A good disposition
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 1:36:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I might give her a second chance with the explicit instructions that she do it your way, even though her way is "better".

Either that or buy a robot vac. We have 2200 square feet of wood and I do the floors. I run it twice a week or so and every 2 weeks do a manual job. Makes it easier, but it's not perfect.
View Quote
I have a robot vacuum but it gets clogged before it finishes one room. I live on a farm, have Labradors who track shit in all day. Anyway she did do a great job on the floors. I do know that no dusting is a common disqualification for house cleaners.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 1:36:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Seriously? It's too high of an expectation to expect it to be clean when she's done? Is that where we are in the world?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can hardly expect a maid to go things the way you want the first time.  Everyone has different expectations and ways they want their house cleaned.  A stranger can't be expected to read your mind and do it that way.  Having had maids in foreign countries I have lived in, each takes some time to clean according to your taste.  In time, they will get there though.  You will know when you get one you can keep.  Personalities weigh in heavily here.  

For a first time out, and to your exact preference?  Yes.

It may take a few times for her to learn your cleaning preferences.  There is a learning curve.  Please re-read my post.  You kind of have to train them up. It’s why people don’t like getting rid of maids.  It’s a personal thing cleaning your private living area the way you like it.  Give her a bit of time to learn how you want it done.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 1:37:01 PM EDT
[#22]
What's a connivence store? Is it where you can go to purchase criminals to do work for you? I think that's half your problem right there. You hired a conniver so clearly they're going to do shit wrong.

Secondly... clean your own fucking house.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 1:37:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Battery powered leaf blowers work wonders at dislodging dust. [NEVER use a 2 smoker leaf blower inside though it can be used inside the wife's ride on occasion to clean the french fries and other offal from under and in between the seats.]

A HUGE bonus is that they will NEVER ask you to help dust again after you destroy her ''fru fru shit'' collection. OTOH, your response should be ''it worked great on my gun display'' thus giving you an opportunity to buy more because they aren't as easily damaged like her English bone china plate and saucer collection was.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 1:37:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Cleaning the high stuff 1st then the floors is common sense.

I hired maids to clean my house before it sold. It looked and smelled clean to me but my wife was pissed because they missed the tops of windows and shit like that.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 1:40:46 PM EDT
[#25]
First world problems...
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 1:42:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Isn't a vacuum cleaner motor going to blow just as much dust around as a broom?  Shut your fans off while cleaning if you're concerned about circulating dust.

Also, maybe you should leave or find something else to do while she's cleaning.  If I encounter the cleaners, I say hi, then promptly make my self scarce.  If they miss something or screw up, my wife calls their boss.  I would never dream of following them around and telling them they're doing it wrong.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 1:43:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 1:47:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 1:49:20 PM EDT
[#29]
If the maid is paid by the hour then she needs to do everything asked of her (within the limits of danger).  Obviously being more thorough takes more time and it benefits the maid. A flat rate job requires agreement on the tasks.

If she is half-assing and she's paid by the hour, then fire her ass.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 1:54:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
House cleaning is driven by the expectations of the customer base at large. It's generational slide. The stuff most house cleaners do is "extra" by the standards of the majority today. If they swipe a baseboard with a damp rag, or dust anything, that's practically a "deep clean."

I admit, dusting does piss me off though. I feel like 2023 should have an answer for it. I get that people, pets, upholstery, clothes, & outside all contribute... but the perpetual return makes me angry.

I've taken to using an electric leaf blower indoors, while running a HEPA shop-vac, & running the furnace blower with a different sticky filter.

Almost nobody should have carpet, anywhere, and all rugs should be machine washable. All non-leather furniture should be Ikea-style modular slipcovers that are machine washable.

Most people sweep/vaccum weekly... maybe? Wash/mop... monthly or less, when it's "bad" and actually looks like it needs it.

Light fixtures, picture frames, tops of windowsills & window frames dusted? Like... never, except when painting or changing window treatments, blinds & curtains every decade or so.

View Quote
Really that's gross. Kudos on the leaf blower/shop vac. I have had similar fantasies. I live in an old farm house. I am deathly allergic to formaldehyde so I don't think it plausible to replace the carpet in the bedroom. The hardwood floors just about killed me. They are so much cleaner. I'm am not a neat freak but I run a dust mop over my floors every day and I dust and vacuum once a week. I also mop once a week (light steam mop) unless it's raining. If it's raining I don't mop because I'm 45 minutes it will be dirty again. Other than that kitchen, bathrooms get cleaned once a week and laundry once a week. Pictures on the wall are minimal. It can get ridiculous. My husband's cameras are my Achilles heel and he won't dust them.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 1:55:36 PM EDT
[#31]
You're right, not picky......and she's a moron.

I dust first cuz it makes sense.....now, sometimes sweeping and even other stuff might blow dust around - where I wanna dust after doing the floors...BUT, still I believe dusting before is better than after.

And yes, I agree to vacuum more than sweep. The sweeping mostly blows stuff up in the air and by the time you're done sweeping, a lot of it is back on the ground.

And....like others said, it's your fucking house, she's the help. She isn't there to tell you how to clean your house. All employers give instructions to their employees on how to do shit.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 1:57:56 PM EDT
[#32]
I figured a rule of thumb for maids is that they wear a sexy french maids outfit. Highly disappointing thread.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 1:58:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
You're right, not picky......and she's a moron.

I dust first cuz it makes sense.....now, sometimes sweeping and even other stuff might blow dust around - where I wanna dust after doing the floors...BUT, still I believe dusting before is better than after.

And yes, I agree to vacuum more than sweep. The sweeping mostly blows stuff up in the air and by the time you're done sweeping, a lot of it is back on the ground.

And....like others said, it's your fucking house, she's the help. She isn't there to tell you how to clean your house. All employers give instructions to their employees on how to do shit.
View Quote
Thank you! It just seemed so weird. I would be ashamed if left the shelves and windows that dirty. I wouldn't have objected to her refusing to dust I hate it and don't expect anyone to love dusting but if you say you're going to do something then do it right.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 1:59:54 PM EDT
[#34]
then do it yourself.

Link Posted: 11/19/2023 2:00:39 PM EDT
[#35]
My wife still misses this one maid we had a ways back. When you have a good one, it's a precious thing. She is paranoid about letting anyone into the house to clean now, too much drama before and since. Fortunately, we have a pretty small place.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 2:01:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Wait, rule of thumb? In the early 1900s it was legal for men to beat their wives, as long as they used a stick no wider than their thumb.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 2:04:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

It may take a few times for her to learn your cleaning preferences.  There is a learning curve.  Please re-read my post.  You kind of have to train them up. It's why people don't like getting rid of maids.  It's a personal thing cleaning your private living area the way you like it.  Give her a bit of time to learn how you want it done.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It may take a few times for her to learn your cleaning preferences.  There is a learning curve.  Please re-read my post.  You kind of have to train them up. It's why people don't like getting rid of maids.  It's a personal thing cleaning your private living area the way you like it.  Give her a bit of time to learn how you want it done.
Ok fair enough. She's due tomorrow. I have been contemplating either leaving her a note and asking her to move the cameras and dust the entire shelf or just put her full two hours in on the floors. Last week she only did the main floors. I kind of expected her to do all the floors but I didn't want to be a hardass. I can do all the floors and dust in two hours and I'm old af with bad hips.

and seriously what's up with the "Clean your own house crowd?" F that. I can use the help and I am paying for a service. WTF?
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 2:07:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ditto.

As far as I'm concerned:
To provide a 'professionally cleaned' receipt to a landlord,
Between AirBnB guests, and
Big place, lotsa money, cameras, regular schedule.

Anything besides that, they're useless.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 2:07:59 PM EDT
[#39]
I’d dump her.  When shopping around for the new maid ask them how they clean. Top to bottom?  Dust under or around?  Find one that does it the way you like or understands from the get go what you expect.  

I’m a clean freak and have very high standards.  Especially when you are paying someone to do a job.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 2:15:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Rule of thumb, tell them what you want done, go do something else.

They will either do a good job, or they won't.  If they don't do a good enough job, get someone else.

As far as dusting, if you want everything moved, have them move everything.  It's your money, your time. You will find someone who will it for the right price.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 2:24:56 PM EDT
[#41]
My guess is she won't be back so you needn't worry about it.

Link Posted: 11/19/2023 2:44:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 2:48:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Yes my mother traumatized me over making my bed. She ripped the covers off of it about 25 times before I finally asked what exactly she wanted. She had never taught me to make it. I did follow her example with my kids but I showed them first what I expected and 90% of the time they did a fine job. Every now and then I had to send them back to redo something.
View Quote

Mommy Dearest?

What was her opinion on clothes hangers?
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 2:50:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Our cleaning lady doesn't dust, doesn't move furniture or clean underneath furniture, has damaged several things about the house, etc.

She's only still employed because 1) she hasn't stolen anything and 2) she cleans houses for several of my wife's friends and my wife is worried she would make up stories as to why we don't need her services.

iRobot makes a robot mop, to go with their robot vacuum line. OP might be interested in that.

Kharn
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 2:57:38 PM EDT
[#45]
I have a childhood friend that recently lost her job cleaning our house.  She comes once a month and it has worked good so far.
She prefers to come more often, and originally said that she may have to charge more for once a month if the house is too messy when she gets there, but she admitted that our house is fine with once a month now 4 months into it.  
We don't have young kids or pets...

My biggest thing is finding someone I can trust in the home alone.  I will leave a key out and the alarm off on the day she comes if I am going to be out.  Then she will lock up and activate the alarm when she leaves.

She can see our security system with cameras in action, even though I trust her 100%.

She is not perfect, but will allow me to ask for special attention to areas I think could look better without saying "I know best"
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 3:01:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Bingo

But we were expected to pre-clean a bit, like picking stuff off the floor.

But, don't harp in how she does it.  It's her job.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 3:01:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Find someone that knows how to clean.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 3:01:58 PM EDT
[#48]
I hired this one, she does a good job.

Link Posted: 11/19/2023 3:02:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 3:07:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
THIS, FPNI
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top