Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/29/2024 4:38:59 PM EDT
We home school and our son is easily distracted and will occasionally pull up YouTube and ignore his schoolwork.  We thought he stopped after a few stern talkings-to.  We were wrong.  He's pretty much figured out he can quickly switch windows and get back to his school page and hide YouTube in the background.  I want to put a stop to this and I want to make it happen suddenly without warning.

My home internet setup is a hodgepodge of wireless routers and switches.  I have two wireless routers and 3 switches.  The switches run off to do their own thing and are left over from crypto mining.  

The first wireless router is from the cable company.  The second one, upstairs is a Netgear AC-1900.  

My goal is to block YouTube and a few other sites by device, specifically my son's devices. Is this something I can do with my current equipment or would I need to upgrade to something less homeowner-grade?  I don't mind spending some money if necessary.  

The devices I want to restrict are an iPhone, iPad, Switch, Windows PC, Meta VR, and an Xbox One S.  If I had my way, they'd all go in a shredder aside from the PC but the wife would probably strongly object.  

Scheduled blocking would be awesome if possible.  Like block YouTube on his devices Monday through Friday.  

My skill level in this sort of thing is like the dude in Idiocracy trying to put the square block in the round hole but I'm willing to learn if I could get pointed in the right direction.  
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 7:07:23 PM EDT
[#1]
https://firewalla.com/products/firewalla-blue-plus

you need to understand the basics , but these are pretty straight forward to connect and configure.

Link Posted: 2/29/2024 10:27:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Flockas] [#2]
You could do it, but I learned about web proxies by the time I was 12. Your kid probably either knows, or will know about them at some point...

How many different online resources does he need to access during work time? Rather than blacklisting (blocking) Youtube, which would be very easy to get around, you could potentially whitelist (block everything but) the specific online resources you want him to access.

My solution to problems like this is called: moving the wood pile. We have between 3-10 cord of firewood on the property at any given time. If the disobey their dad they get to move all of it to the opposite end of the yard, sometimes back to where it was, too...

Low-tech solution to modern problems
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 6:21:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dhumar15:
https://firewalla.com/products/firewalla-blue-plus

you need to understand the basics , but these are pretty straight forward to connect and configure.

View Quote

Thank you.  I'll look into that.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 6:23:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Flockas:
You could do it, but I learned about web proxies by the time I was 12. Your kid probably either knows, or will know about them at some point...

How many different online resources does he need to access during work time? Rather than blacklisting (blocking) Youtube, which would be very easy to get around, you could potentially whitelist (block everything but) the specific online resources you want him to access.

My solution to problems like this is called: moving the wood pile. We have between 3-10 cord of firewood on the property at any given time. If the disobey their dad they get to move all of it to the opposite end of the yard, sometimes back to where it was, too...

Low-tech solution to modern problems
View Quote

He hasn't had any computer classes yet so I don't think he's quite to the proxy stage.  

Whitelisting may work for this application.  At the moment he only needs the homeschool website.  I don't think there is much else he needs.  Everything seems to be internal to that.  

My woodpile isn't very impressive but the threat of physical labor might be enough to scare him straight.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top