Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2024 2:43:44 PM EDT
I recently put together a basic Cam system to monitor my house and property.

I bought the following.
a Reolink RLN-36, with 1 18TB HD and room for 2 more.
10 Port POE Switch (8 copper, 2 Fiber SFPs)
1000' Roll of Cat6E, Box of Easy (RJ-45) Pass though Connectors
Reolink RLC-823a 16x, with Zoom, PTZ and IR Night vision.
another POE cam, not sure of the model, not hooked up yet.

I didn't buy a buncha cams yet as I wanted to see if I could actually get it up and working and how well the cam worked.
It was super easy.  I wired everything up then powered it on, it almost configured itself.

I've having a blast playing with the PTZ and the zoom.
I mounted the 832a on the front right corner of the house that faces down the drive way, but I put the cam on a bracket that holds it out from the house an inch or so, so it cane turn left and cover the whole front yard or rotate right all the way around covering the drive down to the street, our parking area, pole barn and some of the back yard.

You can set up to a dozen or more presets on each cam, that you click on and it will automatically rotate to there and whatever zoom setting you want.

I've been having fun playing with it at night.  
I can zoom into my only neighbors driveway (our left) and see the cats under his cars, or see the cats hunting out in the front right yard, looking for mice or moles. Then I rotate it all the way around and see my Steel Plates rack @ like 90+ yards back.
Saw a few deer too, but they were just out the rotational view of the cam, house was blocking the way.

I plan on adding a few more of the 823a to the other corners and some other cams in other sports indoors and out.
I want to put several in the room where my gun safe is, so IF someone were to break in, I get them coming and going.

I was thinking of having a few of the cams upload certain video triggers to my web server offsite.
You can set triggers, events and alerts for humans, animals or vehicles...

I'm sure there are better system (or ones other prefer more, no matter what you buy there is at least one), but I'm enjoying this thing and having fun with it.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:48:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you streaming it to your TV or do you have a monitor setup?

I want to put up a PTZ on the front of my house also.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:54:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I put a PTZ on a tree.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:02:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GutWrench:
Are you streaming it to your TV or do you have a monitor setup?

I want to put up a PTZ on the front of my house also.
View Quote
Down in the basement for now, I have the NVR kinda hidden with a 32" monitor and USB mouse connected at my Ham Shack bench.

But I also access the NVR from my PC in my office, my Laptop upstairs and the App on my phone.  
I don't really care for the web interface, I prefer the actual NVR's GUI for changes, config and upgrades and the Smart Phone App for basic monitoring of the PTZ cam.

I'm sure as I add cams, I'll want to use the web log in for a much bigger screen; which is why I was hoping, I could easily, log in via my Roku to see cams, that way any tv in the house could do it.  

If its going to be accessible (for the fam) from each TV I need to make it as easy as I can.  
If the wife and daughter have to switch Video inputs or do anything but changes apps on the Roku, they'll fuck it up and be bitching at me about it...  I already know...
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:39:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By smullen:
Down in the basement for now, I have the NVR kinda hidden with a 32" monitor and USB mouse connected at my Ham Shack bench.

But I also access the NVR from my PC in my office, my Laptop upstairs and the App on my phone.  
I don't really care for the web interface, I prefer the actual NVR's GUI for changes, config and upgrades and the Smart Phone App for basic monitoring of the PTZ cam.

I'm sure as I add cams, I'll want to use the web log in for a much bigger screen; which is why I was hoping, I could easily, log in via my Roku to see cams, that way any tv in the house could do it.  

If its going to be accessible (for the fam) from each TV I need to make it as easy as I can.  
If the wife and daughter have to switch Video inputs or do anything but changes apps on the Roku, they'll fuck it up and be bitching at me about it...  I already know...
View Quote

Gotcha.

I had an old wired setup years about that I ran directly to my TV’s aux channel. It was great. Hear a noise? Swap ir over to aux and have a 65” screen to view the yard.

I would like to have the ability to do the same thing with modern equipment.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:40:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:06:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Good lawd, whats that up about 45 - 55 ft? Ought to have a great vantage point.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top