Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2018 2:58:42 PM EDT
I had a shop built a few years ago and framed a few rooms inside it. Both rooms are 12 x 20 feet. I turned one into my knife making room and the other has become storage. It is just studs right now with no sheeting or ceiling. My wife and I decided to finish it out into a home gym.

I am in the gym at least 4 days a week at work but sometimes I work in other places or from the house. My wife only works 2 days a week and is home the other days and can't get out much due to the new baby boy.
She does a lot of kettlebell type stuff and cardio type workouts and some weight training with her legs. I do mainly barbell and dumbbell and stick with compound lifts for the most part. We already had barbell, curl bar, dumb bells from 5 to 40 lbs, and 300 lbs in plates, and adjustable bench.

I recently purchased a titan X-3 squat stand with spotter bars, and a cheaper bench that does leg curls and leg extensions (I am looking for a good deal on a machine to replace this in the future). I got my wife some kettlebells for Christmas.

I am off for a few weeks over the holidays and I plan to complete this thing before I go back to work after the New Year.

The room is nothing but studs. Construction will be 1/2" OSB for the walls and ceiling, Fluorescent lighting, Horse stall matt flooring throughout, window unit heat/air. I will be doing all the electrical. The plumbing for the bathroom will happen later next year. Mirrors will be bought second hand off craigslist and facebook when I can find them. I am painting the entire room in flat black. Most of the walls will have mirrors, flags, or posters covering them when all is completed.

Feel free to post ideas or concerns as this thing progresses as this is my first home gym. I am not trying to cram too much in at this point because it is hard to visualize if I will have enough room for things. Eventually I would like to add some type of dip station and a high/low pulley if possible.

I will be updating this thread with pictures and progress for the next few weeks. I will upload some before pics in the next few days. For now below is the MS paint sketch.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 4:31:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Many power cages can be optioned with high/low pullies and you can get some dip bars to attach to them as well. Should save some space over adding in separate equipment.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 5:30:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Get rid of the mirrors at the squat rack.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 5:39:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Move the dumbbell rack to where the yoga mat is and build Dead lifting platform where the rack was.

You can always unroll a yoga mat on top of the lifting platform if a girl stops by.  
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 6:24:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Move the dumbbell rack to where the yoga mat is and build Dead lifting platform where the rack was.

You can always unroll a yoga mat on top of the lifting platform if a girl stops by.  
View Quote
I thought about a deadlift platform and I may build one later but for now I think the horse stall matts will be fine. I don't deadlift that heavy and when I do I don't slam them down. I will probably buy some bumpers for the dead lifting anyway and that will help. The space in the corner is just right for a small exercise area. The dumb bells and plates will not take up much room on the wall.

Once its built I can re-evaluate the space and equipment and make changes if need be.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 6:29:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Many power cages can be optioned with high/low pullies and you can get some dip bars to attach to them as well. Should save some space over adding in separate equipment.
View Quote
This.

Plus, flat black for the entire room is kind of a downer color.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 6:49:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
This.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This.

Yeah, already looking at attachments.

I want a neutral color but don’t like white because it gets dirty easy.

What would be a good color?
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 10:50:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
My gym is all yellow. Not like neon yellow, but not a pastel either. Just a bold yellow. I kind of like it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 11:27:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
I was going to say the same thing.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 4:01:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Noted.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 9:28:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 4:29:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Grey if you aren't looking for anything bright.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Grey if you aren't looking for anything bright.
After some deep thought I have a great plan for the walls. I don't want to give it away but I will give you a little hint, I'm using rasterbator.com.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 4:32:07 PM EDT
[#12]
A friend of mine gave me a squat rack that has a hi/low pulley system on it. I don't think I will have room for that full set and the titan X-3 squat rack that I have. I am going to try to strip it down to just the hi/low pulley and possible attached to floor and wall for a small foot print pulley setup.

I am going to start next week.

Anybody got any recommendations on a cheap speaker setup? Under $50? Bluetooth is a requirement.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 4:47:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

After some deep thought I have a great plan for the walls. I don't want to give it away but I will give you a little hint, I'm using rasterbator.com.
View Quote
.net maybe?
https://rasterbator.net/
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 4:59:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
.net maybe?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

.net maybe?
Oops. Correct, .net
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 2:01:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Here is a tease on the wall art. This will be 13 feet long and 7 feet high with a total of 112 pages. It standard letter sized paper. Cost me $25 to order them printed on card stock.

Here is two sheets printed and hung on my wall.

Can you guess the source image?

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 3:15:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Here is a tease on the wall art. This will be 13 feet long and 7 feet high with a total of 112 pages. It standard letter sized paper. Cost me $25 to order them printed on card stock.

Here is two sheets printed and hung on my wall.

Can you guess the source image?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/49880/4D508FA2-ED67-4031-9DAA-4054514EB80A_jpeg-771874.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/49880/4167C7FC-DBAA-4204-8C87-AFB10B3C1FBD_jpeg-771875.JPG
View Quote
That's awesome. You HAVE to post a pic when the wall(s) are complete.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 11:58:45 AM EDT
[#17]
I plan on finishing the walls and getting the doors hung today.

I am going to paint on Thursday. Then later that day and Friday finish the ceiling and start moving equipment in and putting stuff together.

The wall art will not happen until this weekend.

Here is progress pics from a few days ago.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 4:31:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Finished for today!!

Top is me facing north.
Bottom is me facing south.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 5:06:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Looking good!

It always seems so much bigger on paper, eh!
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 10:11:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Looking good!

It always seems so much bigger on paper, eh!
View Quote
Thanks.

It actually looks smaller in the pictures. At 12 x20 it’s just right to fit my rack and a few more items in and not feel to cramped.

I’ll post more updates later this week.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 12:47:55 AM EDT
[#21]
I will put the floor down tomorrow then trim it and it will be complete!

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 6:42:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Finished!! I still have to put the AC/Heat unit in the wall. Tomorow I start putting all the equipment in it and really see it take shape!

The horse stall matt floor feels bullet proof. It is cut very tight and has liquid nails under it.

I will figure out a way to get better pano style pictures once I get all the equipment in.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 7:36:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Finished!! I still have to put the AC/Heat unit in the wall. Tomorow I start putting all the equipment in it and really see it take shape!

The horse stall matt floor feels bullet proof. It is cut very tight and has liquid nails under it.

I will figure out a way to get better pano style pictures once I get all the equipment in.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/49880/514F5735-14B6-42C6-AFE5-2DCE90175265_jpeg-794003.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/49880/C2973965-94C2-4F8A-86CE-BA237D53C4A7_jpeg-794008.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/49880/8C32CFE5-9045-4248-8E64-55D9B03137EF_jpeg-794012.JPG
View Quote
You can surf AR15.com while getting jacked. Nice
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 6:53:41 PM EDT
[#24]
The equipment is in. I will install the heat and air unit over the weekend. I still could not find a pano picture that I was satisfied with.

I really like the Titan squat rack. I am so glad I went with it over the Rogue version, it saved me probably $300-400. We have the Rogue racks at my work and this is every bit as good as far as I can tell. The Titan bench is awesome too. I am still brainstorming a way to reconfigure the hi/low pulley to fit it in somewhere.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 12:59:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Well, unbolted, moved some parts, removed some parts, cut some metal, made some mounts from 4x4s, and... it works great! Plenty of room and everything I need!

Hi/low pulley installed!

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 1:30:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Awesome man
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 2:18:27 PM EDT
[#27]
That looks fantastic. Good work.
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 2:49:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Thanks everyone. I used it yesterday and it was great to be able to go and work out on my own time at my own house.

I installed the heat and air unit this morning. I still need to run the romex to the breaker box and hook it up. Probably do that later.

I am removing all the pulleys on the lat machine and cleaning the bearings out and lubricating them all. It needs some serious TLC. I need to buy a few cable attachments so I can start using it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top