Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/5/2020 7:07:18 PM EDT
For those of you who use the deliver to your door meal kits that you cook, my wife and I have tried Blue Apron, Hello Fresh and Home Chef.  It is just her and I at home, I do 99% of the cooking and we like to try some different things...

Of the three I listed, Home Chef is our favorite.  The meals are easy to cook, longest time to prep is 30 minutes and thay have some good varities.

The good thing about Home Chef is the recipe cards that come with the meal are very nice, three hole punched and the ingredients are very easy to find....nothing exotic.  We have the cards in a binder and I have started duplicating the meals with stuff I buy at our local grocery....

You can turn the delivery on and off, we are on the off cycle for about a month, will turn the delievry back on in January....

Stay safe and happy cooking

Bronc
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 7:10:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Cute little dog in your avatar.
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 7:11:20 PM EDT
[#2]
FPNI.

Go buy shit at the store and learn how to cook.
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 7:13:51 PM EDT
[#3]
We do the same thing.  Ran through about 20 meals or so and saved the recipe cards for our favorites.  Now we get our own ingedients and  make them as we go.

Most of the recipes involves sauting everything though.  They arent complicated at all.
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 7:15:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
FPNI.

View Quote

That's why I only mentioned his dog.  
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 7:16:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
FPNI.

View Quote

I sort of came to say this.

You can go on youtube right now and be shown step by step how to cook literally any fucking thing you want.

From scrambled eggs to chateubriand.  

I recommend chef john at foodwishes.  Every single one of his recipes works for me.

Link Posted: 12/5/2020 7:17:09 PM EDT
[#6]
What does a average meal cost delivered?
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 7:27:03 PM EDT
[#7]
i use freshly every now and then when i get really busy with work and stuff.

get a 6 meal delivery, and they're ready in 3 minutes in the microwave.

cost is about $9/meal - so similar to fast food and much healthier.

worth it to me for the convenience.
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 7:30:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
$8-10 per head depending on the service.
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 7:33:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Somehow FedEx keeps delivering Hello Fresh after an extra 24 hours in holding, so in the summer we were tossing the meat at least twice a month for being too warm and all the ice melted. They gave credit for another box, but suddenly needing to come up with dinner for that night at a moment's notice and the next three is really annoying.

Blue Apron is less preferred to Home Fresh, but I think spending $90 a week for meals for two is stupid while our kids eat chicken nuggets, frozen pizza,  or other bullshit and scream if we give them anything else because they've never had adult food.

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 7:37:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd love to try a few but being ''home alone'' save for the mutt, I tend to cook enough to make 5-6 meals or more and then eat for a week on it or freeze it if it can handle that.
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 7:39:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
FPNI.

View Quote
Heh.

If someone was really sharp they'd put out a book with meal ingredients and how to cook them.
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 7:41:03 PM EDT
[#12]
We've had good luck with Hello Fresh. The recipes are great and easy and it's nice to have the recipes to keep. It is fun for my wife and I to cook together (it's usually just me) and the meals are good. We don't do it often and making sure that we skip each week is a pain. Hello Fresh is really good to reverse charges when we don't skip in time.
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 7:42:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Pics?
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 7:43:48 PM EDT
[#14]
I cook at home the old fashioned way.
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 7:44:07 PM EDT
[#15]
We on and off do Hello Fresh. Kind of fun for us honestly
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 7:44:28 PM EDT
[#16]
The wife and I like Sun Basket. The meal options we like are the unorthodox, ethnic meals from all over. It's fun to cook things that I've never heard of in the US, using spice and flavor profiles that are very different from what we are used to.

Could I go buy those same things at World Market or whatever, yeah sure, but it's an easy way to broaden our food enjoyment without much effort. To be sure, the recipes we really like we tend to duplicate with store bought ingredients. The wife has developed a shakshuka recipe that I absolutely love, due to a Sun Basket meal kit.
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 7:50:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I cook at home the old fashioned way.
View Quote

Swanson and Marie Callenders?
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 7:56:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
FPNI.

View Quote

LOL it took my wife five years to learn how to cook. I wish these things were around sooner.

If your wife can’t cook these plans are a good building block.
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 8:01:42 PM EDT
[#19]
green chef, marley spoon, blue apron, we've used all of them, some have good meals and some not so good.

got them to learn new ways to cook stuff, it's been educational and now we have a nice recipe book.
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 8:18:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Got tired of freshly, so we are on real eats now. They are boil in bag and the texture is much better.
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 8:23:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Unless the meals cost the same as going to the store and buying the ingredients, I never understood these meals. But we all spend extra money on stuff someone else might not.

If you like cooking, check out Gordon Ramsay's 10 minute meals. Quick meals, simple ingredients, and the videos are pretty entertaining. Ignore the sometimes vertical video, these were originally streamed on instagram, then later edited for youtube.

Here's a random one...

Gordon Ramsay Cooks Carbonara in Under 10 Minutes | Ramsay in 10
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 8:29:10 PM EDT
[#22]
I am the cook in the house, my wife doesn't cook at all.

I have really enjoyed hello fresh as just something different and something I don't have to think about.  

I normally make everything fresh and local as possible, and typically only shop the edge of the grocery store, but again, its easy and I don have to think about.  We get 2 meals a week.
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 8:32:01 PM EDT
[#23]
I've done all of them.  Home Chef was the best, Hello Fresh was the worst.  I miss Plated, they were really awesome, but they shut down their delivery service earlier this year.  Home Chef was hit and miss on the recipes for the last few months.  My biggest gripe with them is they don't know how to make mashed potatoes, and everything that should be fried is baked instead.  
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 8:32:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I sort of came to say this.

You can go on youtube right now and be shown step by step how to cook literally any fucking thing you want.

From scrambled eggs to chateubriand.  

I recommend chef john at foodwishes.  Every single one of his recipes works for me.

View Quote

My friends I am an outstanding cook, gumbos, bed beans and rice, pork loins, real italian spaghetti, I make my own Italian sausage....this is something different....

My wife is a full blooded cajun girl and an outstanding cook, she just lets me cook....I am 62 years old and have been cooking since I was 10

I cook for the homeless at our church

We are trying this delievry service as something to change up the pace

And thanks for the comments on my baby girl Gracie, four years next week she is gone....I miss her so much

Link Posted: 12/5/2020 8:34:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

It is not real cheap, two meals I think is $48 delivered, a little steep, but to change up the cooking routine, they are not bad

Link Posted: 12/5/2020 11:51:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

My friends I am an outstanding cook, gumbos, bed beans and rice, pork loins, real italian spaghetti, I make my own Italian sausage....this is something different....

My wife is a full blooded cajun girl and an outstanding cook, she just lets me cook....I am 62 years old and have been cooking since I was 10

And thanks for the comments on my baby girl Gracie, four years next week she is gone....I miss her so much

View Quote
It makes sense.  And for a couple nights a week, you don't have to plan anything.  Just cook whatever showed up in the box.  
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 12:02:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

LOL it took my wife five years to learn how to cook. I wish these things were around sooner.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
FPNI.

My wife sets off the fire alarm 3-4 times a week, even with Hello Fresh's instructions.

When she's cooking it is time for the kids and I to play in the yard, and the interconnected smoke alarms mean it's loud as fuck when they all go off, to the point you can hear them at the end of the driveway plain as day. Suddenly seeing all the windows get thrown open and her flailing around trying to clear the air by the detector at the front door is hilarious. The neighbors who walk their dogs every day before dinner chuckle at us every time.

I'm more than willing to cook, but she can't stand that I cook while piling dishes in the sink, eat hot food, and then clean. She prefers to wash dishes as she goes, including ignoring the stuff that is blackening, smoking, etc, on the stove while scrubbing other pans. She has even added soap to numerous reductions and entrees when she wasn't paying attention and got ahead of herself.

I choke whatever shit comes out of the kitchen down without protest, no matter how over/under-cooked or how many flecks of non-stick I can spot in it.

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 12:05:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

My wife sets off the fire alarm 3-4 times a week, even with Hello Fresh's instructions.

When she's cooking it is time for the kids and I to play in the yard, and the interconnected smoke alarms mean it's loud as fuck when they all go off, to the point you can hear them at the end of the driveway plain as day. Suddenly seeing all the windows get thrown open and her flailing around trying to clear the air by the detector at the front door is hilarious. The neighbors who walk their dogs every day before dinner chuckle at us every time.

I'm more than willing to cook, but she can't stand that I cook while piling dishes in the sink, eat hot food, and then clean. She prefers to wash dishes as she goes, including ignoring the stuff that is blackening, smoking, etc, on the stove while scrubbing other pans. She has even added soap to numerous reductions and entrees when she wasn't paying attention and got ahead of herself.

I choke whatever shit comes out of the kitchen down without protest, no matter how over/under-cooked or how many flecks of non-stick I can spot in it.

Kharn
View Quote

That sounds exactly like my wife. I think she used the smoke detector as a timer.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 6:07:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
It makes sense.  And for a couple nights a week, you don't have to plan anything.  Just cook whatever showed up in the box.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is the plan and the meals are real good.....good change of pace, and not a lot of sodium in the food
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top