BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 10:47:05 PM EDT
[#1]
That would fill my pants.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 8:03:00 AM EDT
[#2]

I suspect we've all been surprised more than once, but that was TOO close!

Having ADS-B traffic displayed in the cockpit has changed my life. I've been able to head off shit like this because of that technology. I wonder if it would have helped in this case?

That's not to say that ADS-B is a panacea. Still no substitute for keeping a proper lookout. Latest case in point for me was a flight of two ultralights arriving into the local uncontrolled field without making any radio calls. Note I did not say NORDO. They had radios, which they only deigned to use once they were on downwind. Surprised the shit out of me when they passed UNDER me to cross over the field while I was on downwind on the pattern myself. I suppose their low altitude was a good way to de-conflict with normal traffic, but still, so many things wrong with their procedure...
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 10:05:13 AM EDT
[#3]
I got w/in about 200-300 yds of a King Air on a skydive once. We were jumping a Caravan out of Pahokee FL and the DZ got socked in so we diverted 4 or 5 miles away to a grass strip for crop-dusters in Belle Glade. I don't think anybody notified anybody that we were coming. We just made the decision, skipped over, threw the door open, spotted, and jumped. Jump altitude was the normal 12.5-14K and this King Air appeared out of no where at around 7 or 8 grand, probably en route to Palm Bch Int'l. Pretty much level with me. Well above pull altitude, we were still in freefall cookin' at 120mph+.  

The DZ sent a van to get us and I eventually said something once we loaded up. "Yo- did anybody else see that King Air come right through us?" Everybody just kind of winced and looked down. Nobody wanted to acknowledge what had just happened.

A couple hundred yards is a lot closer than you think under circumstances such as this. A second or 2 one way or the other could've meant disaster.

Link Posted: 5/19/2020 10:54:08 AM EDT
[#4]
YZ, I can imagine the other side view.   “So there I was at 10 thousand cruising to Palm Springs for a soft shell crab sammich when all of sudden I hear a bang and the plane is slammed onto a left bank, I scan the instruments and look out to the port engine and see my wing tip is bent down at a forty degree angle.   That’s not the strangest part, holding on to my wing tip is this guy wearing a hot pink helmet with “FU Arock” written on it.  The silly bastard just kept smiling at me”
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 11:16:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Personal experience while taking off from O'Hare in 1979.
Was in the window seat and the plane was climbing probably at about 5,000'. Looked out and into the plane beside us.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 2:16:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I had a fuckhead jumper come through the clouds (!) over Sebastian, FL and come within about 200' of me.

I was cruising level at 5000 IFR enroute to Bimini.

Yeah- I was that guy and notified ATC over the radio. Fuck that idiot meat bomb pilot. and triple fuck the idiot that jumped.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 4:59:11 PM EDT
[#7]
There’s a large, popular DZ in Sebastian that is internationally renown and has been in operation for a good 30 years. You sure those guys weren’t supposed to be there?
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 5:09:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By YankeeZulu:
There’s a large, popular DZ in Sebastian that is internationally renown and has been in operation for a good 30 years. You sure those guys weren’t supposed to be there?
View Quote
As both a skydiver and pilot, there are many, many more stupid pilots blindly flying through jump airspace (which is shared, but do you really need to be going through there?) than folks jumping into airspace they shouldn't be.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 5:21:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Did they die?
Yikes that's close. Had a few and always thought did the other guy see me and figured no factor or did we both not see each other.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 5:39:52 PM EDT
[#10]
No idea what pilot etiquette is, but in skydiving the lower jumper has right of way, to include while under canopy.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 6:43:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Parachuting rules of the road (sky) are the same as for powered aircraft.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 6:45:58 PM EDT
[#12]
I avoid jump airspace if I know about it. Controller who vectored you through IFR if he knew a jump plane was above you should’ve caught hell as well. Controller doesn’t know if it’s VMC or not and when you’re on an IFR plan, they should’ve vectored you around or made the jump plane hold off.

I was taking off from DED (uncontrolled) with 900ft ceilings. I had my departure window and was holding short. The minute my window opened, I hear an Asian student in a piper twin radio he was on the RNAV for the opposite runway. I wait, wait, wait, and he passes over at 200ft or so. Then, with one minute left in my window, I depart. As I’m climbing through 3000ft of IMC I’m talking to Orlando or whoever and some asshat in a 172 off of DeLand calls for flight following. There is no way he had a hole. It was solid white below 4000ft as far as the eye could see. Seriously; how fucking difficult is it to call and get a clearance, or at least shoot your fucking practice approaches while talking to ATC.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 7:27:21 PM EDT
[#13]
About 20yrs ago, coming into Las Vegas. The planes back then came in about every 40-60 seconds it seemed. We were on approach and about a couple miles from the airport.
I'm  looking out window and see a plane just below us. As soon as I noticed it our pilot pulled up.  He came on the intercom and said we were going back around as another plane slid in under us as we came through the clouds.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 8:56:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By aa777888-2:
As both a skydiver and pilot, there are many, many more stupid pilots blindly flying through jump airspace (which is shared, but do you really need to be going through there?) than folks jumping into airspace they shouldn't be.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
There’s a large, popular DZ in Sebastian that is internationally renown and has been in operation for a good 30 years. You sure those guys weren’t supposed to be there?
As both a skydiver and pilot, there are many, many more stupid pilots blindly flying through jump airspace (which is shared, but do you really need to be going through there?) than folks jumping into airspace they shouldn't be.

Y'all are missing something: I was on an IFR flight plan, in and out of IMC at 5000' (probably shoulda stated that tidbit ) AND on a Victor airway (V492).

NO jumpers should have been ABOVE me that day or near the centerline of the airway.

While it ain't necessary illegal for a meat bomb to fall through a cloud (not smart, but they're jumping outta flying airplanes already), it IS illegal for a pilot to ALLOW jumping through clouds.

One of the reasons I got a part-time gig dropping jumpers was the idiot I replaced got his ticket suspended for 6 months for letting jumpers go through clouds... when a FAA inspector was on the field watching them come through the cloud deck and the reason I quit flying jumpers was because the owner wanted me to do it.

Yeah- Sebastian is a well-known DZ, but they didn't have that great a rep with the Feds for a long while; dunno about now.

Normally, I avoid jump zone space if I can; if unable it's head on a swivel outside until I'm clear.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 9:12:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Did not twig to the IFR issues. Surely there was a lot going wrong there. As you obviously know, if the jump op's were legal the controllers should have vectored you. And if they were illegal, well, then they were illegal!

I took up jumping in the 80's when it was still a bandit sport. Before I was a pilot. Jumped through clouds many a time. Stupid, and illegal. But nobody cared, not the DZ operator, pilot, or jumpers, and the controllers didn't know if there were clouds or not. Everyone just pretended there weren't any clouds. Which meant the NOTAMs were in place, ATC was vectoring IFR around, and VFR was getting the announcements if they were listening. So really no different then if there were no clouds.

Best jump-through-clouds war story: Sunday noonish. Twotter load, DZ op spotting, complete overcast layer at 3K to 4K. DZ op says "Can't see shit, who's with me!" The entire load, including your's truly, lands in a field across from a church just letting out from Sunday morning services. Can you say "Red Dawn"? The looks on the parishioner's faces were priceless. I have no idea how nobody got in trouble. Or died. But "those were the days".

Nowadays jumping is serious business. Hardly any fun at all
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 9:55:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By FB41:

Y'all are missing something: I was on an IFR flight plan, in and out of IMC at 5000' (probably shoulda stated that tidbit ) AND on a Victor airway (V492).

NO jumpers should have been ABOVE me that day or near the centerline of the airway. 

While it ain't necessary illegal for a meat bomb to fall through a cloud (not smart, but they're jumping outta flying airplanes already), it IS illegal for a pilot to ALLOW jumping through clouds. 

One of the reasons I got a part-time gig dropping jumpers was the idiot I replaced got his ticket suspended for 6 months for letting jumpers go through clouds... when a FAA inspector was on the field watching them come through the cloud deck and the reason I quit flying jumpers was because the owner wanted me to do it.

Yeah- Sebastian is a well-known DZ, but they didn't have that great a rep with the Feds for a long while; dunno about now.

Normally, I avoid jump zone space if I can; if unable it's head on a swivel outside until I'm clear.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FB41:

Y'all are missing something: I was on an IFR flight plan, in and out of IMC at 5000' (probably shoulda stated that tidbit ) AND on a Victor airway (V492).

NO jumpers should have been ABOVE me that day or near the centerline of the airway. 

While it ain't necessary illegal for a meat bomb to fall through a cloud (not smart, but they're jumping outta flying airplanes already), it IS illegal for a pilot to ALLOW jumping through clouds. 

One of the reasons I got a part-time gig dropping jumpers was the idiot I replaced got his ticket suspended for 6 months for letting jumpers go through clouds... when a FAA inspector was on the field watching them come through the cloud deck and the reason I quit flying jumpers was because the owner wanted me to do it.

Yeah- Sebastian is a well-known DZ, but they didn't have that great a rep with the Feds for a long while; dunno about now.

Normally, I avoid jump zone space if I can; if unable it's head on a swivel outside until I'm clear.

I was jumping Sebastian on and off in the mid-90's. I didn't really like it there for the most part. Too clicky and too many attitudes, pretty common trait in all the bigger DZs.  Early-mid 90's is when skydiving saw its first surge toward the mainstream- X-Games, "Point Break", all those other movies, skysurfing, etc. A lot of people drank the Kool-Aid and flocked to the sport. Back then it was a lot of ego and people who's world stopped spinning once they finished AFF. Several DZs became very successful in a very short span of time, and Sebastian was one of them. Staff was a bunch of arrogant assholes and the owner was this slimy pommy who kept things real clicky, and if you were just some casual jumper who swung in now and again for a couple jumps on the coast you were treated like a complete outsider. I witnessed a lot of double standards at Sebastian and a lot of bending of the rules so I can totally see that. Z-Hills over in Tampa was basically the same scene.

I've always preferred mid-sized DZs. Places with more than just a clunky 172 that takes forever to get to only 10 grand.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 8:26:54 AM EDT
[#17]
I think we have a Zephyrhills jump pilot here.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 9:19:14 AM EDT
[#18]

I was jumping Sebastian on and off in the mid-90's. I didn't really like it there for the most part. Too clicky and too many attitudes, pretty common trait in all the bigger DZs.  Early-mid 90's is when skydiving saw its first surge toward the mainstream- X-Games, "Point Break", all those other movies, skysurfing, etc. A lot of people drank the Kool-Aid and flocked to the sport. Back then it was a lot of ego and people who's world stopped spinning once they finished AFF. Several DZs became very successful in a very short span of time, and Sebastian was one of them. Staff was a bunch of arrogant assholes and the owner was this slimy pommy who kept things real clicky, and if you were just some casual jumper who swung in now and again for a couple jumps on the coast you were treated like a complete outsider. I witnessed a lot of double standards at Sebastian and a lot of bending of the rules so I can totally see that. Z-Hills over in Tampa was basically the same scene. 

I've always preferred mid-sized DZs. Places with more than just a clunky 172 that takes forever to get to only 10 grand. 
View Quote

Place I worked for in the 90's would occasionally get calls to go work on the twin otters at Sebastian. We were always in a rush to get our work done and get outa there before the Casa took a shit too. Didn't want them to know we did 331 work

That place was crazy
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 11:29:40 AM EDT
[#19]
I took this chick I was banging to Sebastian one Saturday for a tandem along w/a buddy who was going through AFF there(which was a mistake-they fail every student at least once). We drove up from Martin country in this dudes camper van. The owner, Andy Grimwade, the slimy pommy I mentioned earlier, thought he'd be slick and swooped in during the tandem descent and planted one right on her lips… something she was not very happy about, seeing how she paid for a video package and that big chubby turd shows up out of nowhere and pretty much ruined the footage. After the jump he made it a point to shuffle over to me in the packing area to rub it in with a really condescending "sorry, mate." I was one of those outsiders.

Little did he know that 20 min before we all geared up for that jump I'd been throwing her around inside that camper van like a rag doll(she was a 100lb petite little hotty) in every position known to the Kama Sutra... and she finished me off orally.

I just kind of shrugged it off and gave her a wink with a cocky smirk and a chuckle. The confused look on his face was priceless.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 2:32:20 PM EDT
[#20]
I’m sure  this got posted in here way back when it happened, but this is about as “near miss” as you can get... drogue lanyard gets scooped up by a wing. I’d be fuckin’ PISSED.

Near death airplane collision with skydiver in free fall
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 5:29:55 PM EDT
[#21]
I took this chick I banging to Sebastian one Saturday for a tandem along w/a buddy who was going through AFF there(which was a mistake-they fail every student at least once). We drove up from Martin country in this dudes camper van. The owner, Andy Grimwade, the slimy pommy I mentioned earlier, thought he'd be slick and swooped in during the tandem descent and planted one right on her lips… something she was not very happy about, seeing how she paid for a video package and that big chubby turd shows up out of nowhere and pretty much ruined the footage. After the jump he made it a point to shuffle over to me in the packing area to rub it in with real condescending "sorry, mate." I was one of those outsiders.

Little did he know that 20 min before we all geared up for that jump I'd been throwing her around inside that camper van like a rag doll(she was a 100ld petite little hotty) in every position known to the Kama Sutra... and she finished me off orally. 

I just kind of shrugged it off and gave her a wink with a cocky smirk and a chuckle. The confused look on his face was priceless. 
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/20/2020 11:24:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'm sure  this got posted in here way back when it happened, but this is about as "near miss" as you can get... drogue lanyard gets scooped up by a wing. I'd be fuckin' PISSED.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ce_sAXKk4QA
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/21/2020 8:27:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Whoa
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 10:39:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Ah yes, the success of see and avoid.......barely. lol
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 10:48:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By CFII:
Ah yes, the success of see and avoid.......barely. lol
View Quote

Barely missed is still a miss... even if it does fill your shorts.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 10:59:04 AM EDT
[#26]
So much for the "big sky" theory
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 2:44:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Originally Posted By CFII:
Ah yes, the success of see and avoid.......barely. lol

My second to last day flying in the Bush I missed a juvenile eagle by about a foot. I think I looked as shocked as my passenger did.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 4:10:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well, they didn't hit. It kinda supports the big sky theory.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 7:35:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree and thought about that after I posted but that was damn close.

Link Posted: 5/22/2020 12:17:28 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes it was! I was half tempted to dig out a flight safety report I filed once when I went under a 172 nearly that close in a CRJ. And we were on radar vectors. But I've been too damn busy with homeschooling and yard work these last few days.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 1:42:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I avoid jump airspace if I know about it. Controller who vectored you through IFR if he knew a jump plane was above you should’ve caught hell as well. Controller doesn’t know if it’s VMC or not and when you’re on an IFR plan, they should’ve vectored you around or made the jump plane hold off.

I was taking off from DED (uncontrolled) with 900ft ceilings. I had my departure window and was holding short. The minute my window opened, I hear an Asian student in a piper twin radio he was on the RNAV for the opposite runway. I wait, wait, wait, and he passes over at 200ft or so. Then, with one minute left in my window, I depart. As I’m climbing through 3000ft of IMC I’m talking to Orlando or whoever and some asshat in a 172 off of DeLand calls for flight following. There is no way he had a hole. It was solid white below 4000ft as far as the eye could see. Seriously; how fucking difficult is it to call and get a clearance, or at least shoot your fucking practice approaches while talking to ATC.
View Quote

I work that airspace, you wouldn't believe the amount of VFR in IMC we deal with.  Worst part is that most of the time you have to pry it out of them, they won't tell you they're in trouble.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 2:55:09 AM EDT
[#32]
I'd have probably tugged that yoke back a bit right before / during pooping myself.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 7:26:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I work that airspace, you wouldn't believe the amount of VFR in IMC we deal with.  Worst part is that most of the time you have to pry it out of them, they won't tell you they're in trouble.
View Quote

I fly in that airspace and I believe it. The number of knuckleheads that report level at altitudes that is solid IMC is astonishing and a sackful of them comes from the "big school" in the area.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 10:19:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

F11?
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 3:07:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

F11?
View Quote

DAB
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 2:49:12 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm sure we all have ours, but when I was instructing out in Phoenix, theres an untowered that lots of people go to out there.  Doing pattern work on 5, dude who wasn't talking doing an approach on 23 and almost ran right into us.  We broke right and missed by a couple hundred feet at most.  Student freaked out, I kinda nervously laughed.
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 5:00:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

I wonder how many times we've talked. The Piper I mention was blue and white. This was probably 5 years ago.
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 10:04:45 PM EDT
[#38]
If anyone is interested this is what 1000ft minimum separation looks like. Took this yesterday, not often we have a pretty much direct head on like that. We were under that contrail for a long time, pretty neat to see.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/n4it8hxx4a0xvuq/1000ft.mp4?dl=0
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 11:25:13 PM EDT
[#39]
That is very cool to see.  Thanks for posting it.

In smaller airplanes that looks a little more comfortable, particularly considering the slower closing speeds.  But smaller airplanes are also harder to get a visual on.

Was that on an oceanic route?  If so, you do not have ATC out there correct?  So everyone flies their GPS routes at planned altitude (29.92 in the flight levels) right?  If so that's kind'a the wild west.  The pilots all have to rely upon each other to do it right with no ATC oversight.
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 12:42:22 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I wonder how many times we've talked. The Piper I mention was blue and white. This was probably 5 years ago.
View Quote

Probably a bunch, I've been here since 2011.  Ask for Mike Delta, next time you're talking to Daytona Approach
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 10:05:34 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
That is very cool to see.  Thanks for posting it.

In smaller airplanes that looks a little more comfortable, particularly considering the slower closing speeds.  But smaller airplanes are also harder to get a visual on.

Was that on an oceanic route?  If so, you do not have ATC out there correct?  So everyone flies their GPS routes at planned altitude (29.92 in the flight levels) right?  If so that's kind'a the wild west.  The pilots all have to rely upon each other to do it right with no ATC oversight.
View Quote

Usually, in the domestic Reduced Visual Separation Minima (RVSM) airspace (Flight Level 180 to FL410), ATC will call traffic like that "American 123, traffic is an A320, thousand feet above you." "Spirit 456, traffic is an American 737, thousand feet below you."

In Oceanic/WATRS its done off entering the tracks/airways at known point and time, and maintaining speed/altitude in the system, to simplify it greatly.

As datalink position information and satellite based comms becomes commonplace, controllers will have a radar like picture of the oceanic airspace as well, even more than now.
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 10:52:00 AM EDT
[#42]
meh

that was probably 50 to 100 feet

I have personally see much closer with much higher closure rates

You either hit or you dont, if you dont then no sweat

Link Posted: 6/8/2020 11:17:16 AM EDT
[#43]
Zipping along one day CAVU in my 210 at 10K over Lubbock Tx. I reached up to flick the "speck" off my glaas only to realize it was a hang glider that I buzzed by. Missed him by MAYBE 50 feet. That guy is STILL cleaning his pants.
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 12:09:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Been involved in two that I know of.

Early 70s flying back seat in an EA-6B (ECMO 3 seat) cross country.  We were stopping at an AFB for fuel.  Plane made a hard maneuver, along with pilot saying SHIT!  I looked out and saw a B-57 belly flash by, very close.

Around 76 a buddy and I were cruising around in his Cessna 150 about 3,000' over Skagit Valley.  An A-4 zipped past from behind us, crossing right to left at our altitude.  I assume heading toward NAS Whidbey Island.  Close enough I could clearly see the pilot looking down in the cockpit.
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 12:34:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have more than likely talked to you.
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 2:34:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I’m sure  this got posted in here way back when it happened, but this is about as “near miss” as you can get... drogue lanyard gets scooped up by a wing. I’d be fuckin’ PISSED.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ce_sAXKk4QA
View Quote

I hope that pilot had his certification revoked.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top