Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/28/2022 5:04:18 PM EDT
Saw this vid in my random watch feed and gave it a shot. Most all cordless drills will lock if you turn one click in the loosen direction. I never knew and have a pile of these things.

Your Drill (DOESN'T HAVE) a Secret Feature That Brands Are Hiding

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:06:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I also didn't know that until someone here mentioned it a couple of years ago.

But I don't recall ever having an issue with anything getting loose without doing it.  Of course, I twist it down like a gorilla.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:06:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I, too, saw that video and learned
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:07:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:07:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Man, I have a lot of hours logged with one of those in my hand. Surprised I have never heard of this.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:08:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

But I don't recall ever having an issue with anything getting loose without doing it.  Of course, I twist it down like a gorilla.  
View Quote
I think I remember that thread, was satisfied that I had learned something new, and then promptly forgot all about it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:10:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Just learned this myself a couple years back.  No more quick change bit holders falling out.  

Guys never read the manual...especially on a drill.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:12:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Hmmmm
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:14:35 PM EDT
[#8]
So how do you unlock it after that?

The only drill I have has an aftermarket chuck on it so I can't test it. We use 1/4" impacts and SDS drills for everything.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:16:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Mine doesn’t even click on tighten.

Old blue/gold ryobi
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:18:51 PM EDT
[#10]
OP, I expected better from you.

I learned that a decade ago watching a secret tools hacks thing on YT.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:19:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Just learned this myself a couple years back.  No more quick change bit holders falling out.  

View Quote

I actually do read them for all but the simplest products.  The guy in the video says its not mentioned in any of the manuals.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:21:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The only drill I have has an aftermarket chuck on it so I can't test it. We use 1/4" impacts and SDS drills for everything.
View Quote
It turns back easy. I can't count how many times I have had bits fall out.
Quoted:
OP, I expected better from you.

I learned that a decade ago watching a secret tools hacks thing on YT.
View Quote
lol - Smarter Every Day or at least faking it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:21:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Just keep turning it counterclockwise to unlock.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:26:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wouldn’t have mattered. Was never in the manual.

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:27:24 PM EDT
[#15]
That doesn't work on my old Dewalt 18v hammer drill.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:27:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
The spirit of Harambe is with you
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:27:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Weird

I almost never use one, I think the one I have now is one of my oldest Milwaukee tools, I don't even remember how the chuck failed the first time, but I'm pretty sure it just stopped ratcheting.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:28:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Saw this vid in my random watch feed and gave it a shot. Most all cordless drills will lock if you turn one click in the loosen direction. I never knew and have a pile of these things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1QHOKF8NO4

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/289319/PXL_20220928_210011209_jpg-2542858.JPG
View Quote
You and I must have the same YouTube algorithm, OP. I just saw this video in my suggestions on Sunday or Monday and watched it
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:32:07 PM EDT
[#19]
All these years

I'll go try out this feature
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:38:01 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm not really sure what's going on here. He shows doing it with a Ryobi drill but nothing like that happens on mine.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:42:39 PM EDT
[#21]
What's the point?  Never had one unlock, seems pointless.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:43:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
You and I must have the same YouTube algorithm, OP. I just saw this video in my suggestions on Sunday or Monday and watched it
View Quote
@Leisure_Shoot

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:43:34 PM EDT
[#23]
learn something new every day.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:44:31 PM EDT
[#24]
On my Ryobi it doesn't click on tighten, but will click when you turn back as if to loosen.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:46:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

First I've heard of this (and the video states that it's a 'hidden' feature because it's not in ANY of the manuals. Even the tech support mentioned that while they can confirm that this IS in fact, a feature of their drill, it isn't in any documentation).
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:47:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Wow. Just tried it on my Dewalt after seeing this thread. Yep, it worked. Thanks OP
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:50:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Funny, I was just testing that out an hour ago putting some holes in something for a project w/a drill and some spade bits, cause I also got recommended that a few days back. DeWalt drill, it didnt seem to work. The spade bits were going through what I was putting holes in so maybe they were hitting the edge of the hole in some weird way or something, but they fell out a few times. It feels like the drill is supposed to do it, but it failed this time. It did seem to work w/reg bits yesterday.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:50:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

According to the video, it's not in the manual.  In some cases, customer service doesn't even know about it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:52:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:56:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Just checked the manual on my Makita 40V and there's definitely no mention of it, although
it does have a very noticeable detent when you turn it back slightly.

If it's actually locking the chuck, I have no idea, as I've never had issues with the chuck opening up on this drill.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:56:46 PM EDT
[#31]
When I tried this on my 18V DeWalt the drill bit fell out.   ?????
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:57:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Wouldn't this be in the drill chuck design?  Not designed feature in the drill itself.
This would explain why drill manufacturers didn't know about this feature.

Drill manufacturers are just purchasing chucks from suppliers.
Maybe certain chuck suppliers are using this locking design.

Watching many power tool videos, I learned about 'Jacobs' drill chucks.

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:57:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Learned that years ago from a YT video.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:57:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I'm not really sure what's going on here. He shows doing it with a Ryobi drill but nothing like that happens on mine.
View Quote

+1 on my old Makita.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:58:39 PM EDT
[#35]
I don't get it.

You tighten it, then loosen it a smidge, to "lock" it?  Then when required you just continue loosening as normal to open the chuck?

Smells like a cow farm.  I'm waiting for the AvE tear-down.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:58:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
What's the point?  Never had one unlock, seems pointless.
View Quote

Yeah, this.  I mean, I'm just doing homeowner shit, but I've never had a chuck loosen on me.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:01:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Well, I did NOT know that. Checking mine when I get home. Mine love to loosen but maybe now....... Thanks OP
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:05:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Had to show all my guys that years ago.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:06:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Wouldn't this be in the drill chuck design?  Not designed feature in the drill itself.
This would explain why drill manufacturers didn't know about this feature.

Drill manufacturers are just purchasing chucks from suppliers.
Maybe certain chuck suppliers are using this locking design.

Watching many power tool videos, I learned about 'Jacobs' drill chucks.

View Quote

You'd hope someone like DeWalt or Milwaukee sell enough drills to know what the parts they are sourcing do.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:11:11 PM EDT
[#40]
This dude says the trick is to manually tighten it after zipping it mostly tight:
Secret to locking drill bits in a Ryobi drills chuck!

pretty sure I already do that, especially on my newer(ish) drill that locks the motor/chuck in place when not squeezing the trigger.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:11:59 PM EDT
[#41]
But why … seriously?  I don’t understand why this is some groundbreaking “feature”.  My guess to why no one talks about it or it is not in the manuals is because even the manufacturers don’t think it is important enough to care.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:12:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Neat. Haven't had a bit fall out of a keyless chuck though...yet.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:18:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Doesn't work on my Bosch.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:18:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Does work on a Ryobi (not brushless) 18v.  Maybe the one he uses in the video is a higher end drill, his has more metal on it, where my chuck is almost all plastic to the end.  Will have to try on others.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:18:41 PM EDT
[#45]
This is such old news even my Ryobi drill does this
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:20:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
But why   seriously?  I don't understand why this is some groundbreaking "feature".  My guess to why no one talks about it or it is not in the manuals is because even the manufacturers don't think it is important enough to care.
View Quote
I use mine pretty much daily. It happens often for me. I have several different ones and they all do it. May be how I use it? Not sure? I set the clutch and use it as a mini impact with a bit set since my actually impacts are so easy to strip things.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:28:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I use mine pretty much daily. It happens often for me. I have several different ones and they all do it. May be how I use it? Not sure? I set the clutch and use it as a mini impact with a bit set since my actually impacts are so easy to strip things.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
But why   seriously?  I don't understand why this is some groundbreaking "feature".  My guess to why no one talks about it or it is not in the manuals is because even the manufacturers don't think it is important enough to care.

What do you assemble?

We used to strip way more fasteners with drills than impacts. Once impacts kind of became a thing it's all I started using.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:36:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

What do you assemble?

We used to strip way more fasteners with drills than impacts. Once impacts kind of became a thing it's all I started using.
View Quote

Impacts (hydraulic ones preferably) and Torx fasteners FTW.

I only use my drill for mixing thin set and grout at this point.

I do have an installation driver that is pretty dope but I wish it had an impact feature. Alas it does not.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:39:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Neat, didn't know this.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:45:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Tag to remember to try it out
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top