Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2024 11:54:09 PM EDT
Ruger 10/22 SBR barrel. I want to cut it shorter. It's a tapered barrel, and too short for a spider.

How would you hold it for cutting, facing, threading ?

Only thing I can think of is make an extension to reach the spider (which I also need to make)
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 12:55:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Any way you could bore a set of soft jaws to match the taper?
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 9:09:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: paul463] [#2]
I cut a delrin bushing to fit the rear tang snug to my headstock bore.  As to the tapered part, I wrapped that with soft copper wire I stripped from some Romex I had laying around.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 10:33:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Both those ideas are easily doable!

thanks guys.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 3:34:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I would do everything between centers.  Turning, threading facing the shoulder.  Then part it off and crown it using any if the above mentioned methods
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 4:30:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Turn an aluminum or brass bushing with the matching taper and then split it. If it's a shallow taper it will be fine. I've done a few barrels that way and they all worked out.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 10:00:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AFCarbon15:
I would do everything between centers.  Turning, threading facing the shoulder.  Then part it off and crown it using any if the above mentioned methods
View Quote

I agree.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top