Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/5/2021 2:58:59 PM EDT
What's the better buy? This is all new to me but I plan to buy within a day or two. I know there is an Agm rattler 25 and 35, and I think the same for the Bering optics hogster and super hogster. Which should I choose and why? Probably make the plunge tomorrow.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 3:05:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Cant go wrong with any of them IMO. One thing to note is the S Hogster has a slightly bigger display than the other options.  (1280x960 vs 1024x768)

That said, I think the S Hogster also has the highest mag of the options, so even with the bigger display it might not be the best choice. The regular Hogster doesnt have video recording which the AGm units do (As does the S Hogster).

So, its really down to you. All will be a good tool. Its a matter of deciding what mag you want and if video recording is important. I run the S Hogster and am happy with it, although I am thinking of getting another unit with lower base mag to be more useable closer in.

May be worth spending some time in the Night Vision sub as well
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 3:18:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought a Hogster 35. 6 months later the Super Hogster comes out. Just my luck. I like my Hogster for the price. I would have gotten the Super.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 3:18:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Id roll hogster
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 3:33:28 PM EDT
[#4]
The super hogster is worth the premium? And the rattler just doesn't compare? Inside 200 yards I'm good either way, just want to know why I'll spend the extra 5-600.  And why the rattler is last picked. I obviously don't have a favorite.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 3:41:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The super hogster is worth the premium? And the rattler just doesn't compare? Inside 200 yards I'm good either way, just want to know why I'll spend the extra 5-600.  And why the rattler is last picked. I obviously don't have a favorite.
View Quote
The recordings I've seen the AGM actually looks better, but the Hogsters have pretty high compression when recording so I dont think its a fair comparison. I'd bet money through the eyepeice you'd see no significant differences between the units you are looking at, except maybe with the Super because it has some weird "640 cutout" thing going on. Not sure if thats just advertising or not, but I'm told it does look better than the regular hogsters (And thus presumably better than the AGM units as well)
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 3:54:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm really enjoying my Hogster r35 and think it is an incredible value.  I personally got the r35 over the Superhogster for the better field of view and lower magnification for shooting rats in the barn all the way to coyotes and bigger stuff at 300-400 yards.

A big plus with the Hogster ( not sure about the rattler) is I have a picatinny mounted cell phone battery pack that I run a short cable to the scope, allowing me to leave the unit on all night.  No worries about buying the expensive surefire batteries and the cell phone pack can be recharged with any usb device.

*Edited to add that I got mine from Night Goggles Inc. for a great price.

Link Posted: 4/5/2021 4:11:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a rattler 25 and have nothing but good things to say about it. It comes with a nice ADM mount, and video recording, which kicks the regular hogster’s butts dollar for feature. I can’t really see the reason to spend more for any model of hogster over a rattler.

ETA: not only can you run a battery pack on the rattler, the connector is USB-C which is more durable than mini usb and can be inserted either direction.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 6:03:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Bump.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 6:37:13 AM EDT
[#9]
I just got a hogster 25. Wow is all I can say. I live on 40 acres surrounded by a few hundred conservation land (open prairie mixed woods). My pvs 14 works great (and even sightmark wrath) , but with this I could see animals a few hundred yards out. They just popped out.

Scanning I could see even rabbits at 100 yds

After seeing that taliban sniper vid I had to have one ASAP just incase. Just like nvg’s and suppressors...this is a force multiplier
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 6:44:45 AM EDT
[#10]
I have the same question I'm debating in my head.  Tag.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 7:02:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have the regular hogster 35mm that I bought last year. Had I known the super was coming out I would have waited and spent the extra $500. The 12um sensor and onboard recording would be well worth it.

Using an external dvr and battery pack creates issues with cable management that I find slightly annoying.

That said the hogster 35 is an outstanding scope.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 12:54:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Think I've decided on the rattler 25 since I can get a better deal on  one and something throw in for seemingly no added cost. Any vendors I should beware of? Final thoughts before I drop 2k?
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 1:02:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Do it! Looks better in person than the upload.
AGM RATTLER 25:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 1:04:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Cat footprints still visible on the carpet:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 1:04:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Think I've decided on the rattler 25 since I can get a better deal on  one and something throw in for seemingly no added cost. Any vendors I should beware of? Final thoughts before I drop 2k?
View Quote
Midway USA has them in stock for $1995.  I think thats where I'll buy mine when I save a little more.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 1:11:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 1:12:26 PM EDT
[#17]
I got a Hogster on the way. I chose it due to it being more recommended.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 1:15:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Midway USA has them in stock for $1995.  I think thats where I'll buy mine when I save a little more.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

another member @HiramRanger (I think) got a quote of $1800 and had it price matched elsewhere (arfcom vendor I think?) , so there are better deals out there if you shop around a bit. Sales tax and customer service factor into where I buy things personally, Midway would charge me WA sales tax.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 1:36:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

another member @HiramRanger (I think) got a quote of $1800 and had it price matched elsewhere (arfcom vendor I think?) , so there are better deals out there if you shop around a bit. Sales tax and customer service factor into where I buy things personally, Midway would charge me WA sales tax.
View Quote

Register with HCC Tactical and you'll get a 10% off coupon code, brought it down to $1,800. Right now it is an issue of who has them in stock and how fast you want it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 1:42:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Who has the Rattler in stock?

Nevermind, its the clip-on im waiting for
link
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 1:44:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Nox 35mm master race!
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 1:45:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Any reason not to deal with nightvisionguys dot com?
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 3:42:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

NO, do it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 7:06:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

NO, do it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

NO, do it.

That’s who I got mine from
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 2:54:23 AM EDT
[#25]
I had the ts25 rattler for a week. Took it hunting once and played with it a few times prior. Batteries lasted about 2-2.5hrs. Image was great. Sighted in pretty easily. Sleep mode stopped working about 2 days in. Selected reticle color disappears after powering off. Color has to be selected again each time it’s powered on. I wasn’t a huge fan of reticle choices. These are fairly new and customer service, while friendly, don’t know much about it. Owners manual sucks but it’s not too hard to figure out. All that being said, My Rattler ts25 is on the way back to the dealer and once received, I’ll be upgrading to the Hogster r35. I’d be going with the super Hogster if it had a lower base magnification. Rattlers are probably gonna be fine but I think they need some more time on the market to get the bugs worked out. Plus the Hogster has an extra year of warranty service.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 3:00:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I had the ts25 rattler for a week. Took it hunting once and played with it a few times prior. Batteries lasted about 2-2.5hrs. Image was great. Sighted in pretty easily. Sleep mode stopped working about 2 days in. Selected reticle color disappears after powering off. Color has to be selected again each time it’s powered on. I wasn’t a huge fan of reticle choices. These are fairly new and customer service, while friendly, don’t know much about it. Owners manual sucks but it’s not too hard to figure out. All that being said, My Rattler ts25 is on the way back to the dealer and once received, I’ll be upgrading to the Hogster r35. I’d be going with the super Hogster if it had a lower base magnification. Rattlers are probably gonna be fine but I think they need some more time on the market to get the bugs worked out. Plus the Hogster has an extra year of warranty service.
View Quote

Thanks bud and welcome aboard. I appreciate the insight.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 5:05:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Hogster gets it done.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/10/2021 8:53:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Any must have accessories when outfitting a rifle with thermal? Bought a solar powered battery bank and a 3 pack of cables to go with the Agm 25. Trying to think of what else might compliment the weapon.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 9:14:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Any must have accessories when outfitting a rifle with thermal? Bought a solar powered battery bank and a 3 pack of cables to go with the Agm 25. Trying to think of what else might compliment the weapon.
View Quote

Do you have a tripod?
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 9:23:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Better hope you don't need customer service
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 9:54:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
An external battery pack will save you a ton of money in batteries. TNVC has a good one that comes with a mount.

Does the AGM have on board recording? If not an external DVR is nice so you can record your hunts.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 10:25:30 AM EDT
[#32]
I'm wanting to get a super hogster pretty soon, due to some of the points already made here
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 10:39:22 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 11:23:34 AM EDT
[#34]
Anyone have a good recommendation for rechargable cr123 batteries? I have a couple chargers already but no batteries to speak of. I'd also like a solar option to recharge them just in case. Probably USB, mine are currently all 110 v I think.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 11:26:14 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
An external battery pack will save you a ton of money in batteries. TNVC has a good one that comes with a mount.

Does the AGM have on board recording? If not an external DVR is nice so you can record your hunts.
View Quote

TNVC battery packs get a ton of bad reviews on the thermal pages I’m on.

Apex3d makes a very affordable kit that I’ve been using for 6+ months with no issues
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 11:34:57 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

TNVC battery packs get a ton of bad reviews on the thermal pages I'm on.

Apex3d makes a very affordable kit that I've been using for 6+ months with no issues
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TNVC battery packs get a ton of bad reviews on the thermal pages I'm on.

Apex3d makes a very affordable kit that I've been using for 6+ months with no issues
Really, What complaints do they get? I haven't had any problems with mine.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 11:57:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Same issue with reticle color on mine, reverts to white/black.
Mine works with usb battery packs and I only keep the cr123s as a backup.  It also came with the short single lever adm mount.

The manual could use a lot of improvement.

The five reticles available are similar but appear to be independently zeroed so effectively 5 rifle profiles.
I plan to determine the adjustment units and set a universal mil or moa bdc reticle.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 12:05:02 PM EDT
[#38]
https://thermalopticsplus.com/ has a good battery pack that utilizes anker's.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 12:08:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Anyone have a good recommendation for rechargable cr123 batteries? I have a couple chargers already but no batteries to speak of. I'd also like a solar option to recharge them just in case. Probably USB, mine are currently all 110 v I think.
View Quote

Surefire has rechargeables
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 12:33:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Battery ranger banded on
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 12:37:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Really, What complaints do they get? I haven't had any problems with mine.
View Quote

I’ve seen a couple pictures of broken ones and the price is pretty expensive for what you get. I have no personal experience though so take that with a grain of salt. I was looking for reviews when I got my apex kit and was steered away from it
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 1:00:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Huge fan of the red alert setting on the hogster.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 2:47:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Is that like the hotspot detection on the AGM?  It puts a marker on the hottest spot in the FOV
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 6:17:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Same issue with reticle color on mine, reverts to white/black.
Mine works with usb battery packs and I only keep the cr123s as a backup.  It also came with the short single lever adm mount.

The manual could use a lot of improvement.

The five reticles available are similar but appear to be independently zeroed so effectively 5 rifle profiles.
I plan to determine the adjustment units and set a universal mil or moa bdc reticle.
View Quote

Are you referring to the Rattler?

I was not aware that the reticle were independently zeroed. That could cause a real surprise for someone.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 6:42:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rechargeables may work but aren't recommended because they can be charged to excess voltage.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 7:02:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Rechargeables may work but aren't recommended because they can be charged to excess voltage.
View Quote

I’ll have to check, but I’m pretty sure my charger has a regulator that prevents that and a digital display that tells you what it was charged to in terms of voltage. But now you have me wondering.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 8:03:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Is that like the hotspot detection on the AGM?  It puts a marker on the hottest spot in the FOV
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's white hot with the hottest objects shown in red. I find it works very well for scanning, after the environment starts to cool off. Trees give a lot of interference when they're still hot from the sun.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/11/2021 9:27:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I'll have to check, but I'm pretty sure my charger has a regulator that prevents that and a digital display that tells you what it was charged to in terms of voltage. But now you have me wondering.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll have to check, but I'm pretty sure my charger has a regulator that prevents that and a digital display that tells you what it was charged to in terms of voltage. But now you have me wondering.
A CR123 is a 3.0 volt nominal, while a rechargeable lithium ion 16350 is 3.7 volts nominal, and stops charging at 4.2 volts.  It's common to fry electronics when trying to drop in a rechargeable CR123.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 9:35:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
A CR123 is a 3.0 volt nominal, while a rechargeable lithium ion 16350 is 3.7 volts nominal, and stops charging at 4.2 volts.  It's common to fry electronics when trying to drop in a rechargeable CR123.
View Quote
This. If a device is expecting that 3 volt and you drop a 3.7 volt in.....

I've burned up flashlight bulbs doing that (I knew I was overdriving but meh, wasnt too concerned). The Hogsters can be set for RCR123s (3.7V) in the menu settings. I dont have the gusto to drop rechargeables into my NVDs though. They get the standard 3V CR123.....Or AA.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 9:47:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

The Rattler has a setting for 3.7V, and if you drop in a pair on power-up it prompts you to switch settings with a confirmation click.

My charger from what I recall allows you to cap the voltage and displays what it is charged at as confirmation.

My charger

These are the batteries I use
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top