Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2019 11:59:31 PM EDT
Last night I watched an episode of the History CHannel series Project Blue Book. The titles indicate that it is based on a true story. However, the episode looks more like it was based on some teenager's fantasy.

SPOILERS for those that haven't seen this episode yet.

This episode had Dr. Hynek as a passenger in a commercial turboprop plane when a cigar shaped object bathed in green light approaches the plane, flies around the plane in a controlled manner and finally disappears. Dr. Hynek appears to be assigned to work with an Army Capt. who wears a suit instead of a military uniform and they learn that Dr. Wernher Von Braun, the former Nazi rocket scientist who defected to the US, is running a rocket research project on a secret base near where the UFO was spotted. Apparently, Dr. Von Braun is working on a secret project to build their own UFO's with the US Army and he has his own ET corpse bottled in a liquid filled tank in a lab on the base.  Yeah, based on a True Story.    At the end of this episode they show two US Army MP's dragging what appears to be a drugged man dressed in a flight suit to a ramp, while the drugged man is saying he doesn't want to go. They take him up the ramp and put him inside a seat on the top of a miniature dish shaped craft that looks a lot like an experimental aircraft that the US Air Force did experiment with, that had a propeller in the center of the dish shaped craft to give it lift off of the ground (which this one appears to mimmick). But, instead of just lifting off the ground by the propeller, it disappears or dematerializes. Again, I think of the "Based on a True Story" part which is obviously BS.

Oh, and another thing. The Army Captain that only wears a plainclothes suit, he get's saluted by a uniformed and on duty MP and he salutes him back. I always thought that military officers not in uniform do not salute. Is that not correct? This MP and him trade salutes twice in this episode. Also, Dr. Von Braun is giving the US Army General orders. Such as he told the General to rescind his suspension of the Capt. that is assigned to Dr. Hynek. Dr. Von Braun also has an army of plainclothes thugs to do his bidding, just like a James Bond villain. If all of this isn't enough, there is a female Russian spy that has befriended Dr. Hynek's wife and has planted listening devices inside their home.
Link Posted: 1/31/2019 12:09:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I would say the stories are loosely based on actual UFO reports that were investigated by the then Project Bluebook, with a hell of a lot of Hollywood thrown in. I remember watching the original series from the late 70's. So far I like this one too, but you have to kind of take the Hollywood subplots that were put in with a grain of salt.
Link Posted: 1/31/2019 9:23:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I watched the first three episodes on look back last night.  I'm hooked.  UFO's. Russian spies, Men in Black....how can it go wrong?  Kind of reminds me how the X Files started out.
But a T-6 Texan with wing mounted machine guns?  Yea, they fucked that one up pretty bad.  And they called it a fighter plane as well.
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 1:00:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Out of curiosity I will probably watch one more episode. But, I'm expecting them to have Dr. Hynek come out wearing a brown leather jacket, a brown fedora, and carrying a whip while he fights the Soviet spies and the evil Dr. Von Braun's army of henchmen. What was that Captain's name? Capt. James Bond? I'm guessing that since the evil Dr. Von Braun had an ET's body in the tank, that the aliens are not working with Dr. Von Braun. It looks like Dr. Von Braun is simply reverse engineering alien technology. So, will the alien's come back to attack the secret base, retrieve their alien brother's corpse from the tank, and destroy the alien technology that the evil Dr. Von Braun has synthesized? After all it was in the 50's and we still don't have alien technology today. So, if this is based on a true story, then the aliens had to come back to destroy the technology that Dr. Von Braun had.
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 9:00:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Out of curiosity I will probably watch one more episode. But, I'm expecting them to have Dr. Hynek come out wearing a brown leather jacket, a brown fedora, and carrying a whip while he fights the Soviet spies and the evil Dr. Von Braun's army of henchmen. What was that Captain's name? Capt. James Bond? I'm guessing that since the evil Dr. Von Braun had an ET's body in the tank, that the aliens are not working with Dr. Von Braun. It looks like Dr. Von Braun is simply reverse engineering alien technology. So, will the alien's come back to attack the secret base, retrieve their alien brother's corpse from the tank, and destroy the alien technology that the evil Dr. Von Braun has synthesized? After all it was in the 50's and we still don't have alien technology today. So, if this is based on a true story, then the aliens had to come back to destroy the technology that Dr. Von Braun had.
View Quote
How come I read that part in the Oak Island narrators voice??
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 9:04:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 3:46:31 PM EDT
[#6]
As a lifelong Lubbock, Texas resident, after watching the Lubbock Lights episode I can tell you it is based on real stories, but heavily, heavily embellished.  
Think "Mermaids" on the Discover channel or Animal Planet level of embellishment.
Still, it is slightly enjoyable so far if you regard it as science fiction.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 11:10:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
With all of the "mystifying" alien, cold war, Nazis, and government conspiracy action going on in that one show, I must have been subconsciously channeling that Oak Island "Speculator." Now, if only the Oak Island explorers can find Nazi memorabilia 200 ft. down in the next mysterious void that they encounter (tying the Money Pit to the Third Reich) as well as mysterious super light weight metals that are stronger than steel and comprised of nickels and other metals only found on meteorites, before they get shut down by Canadian government men in black for permit violations, then things will get truly exciting. But, they did state that legend goes that another person must die before they find the treasure. When they open that Money Pit they might find more than they bargained for.

Archaeologist Laird Niven finds a relic in Smith's Cove......just before they discover the treasure of Oak Island.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 6:34:21 AM EDT
[#8]
I was always interested in Blue Book growing up and am familiar with many of the cases. It is embellished, but Dr. Hyneck, to me, was one of the most interesting characters in modern history. I’ve enjoyed it so far, but they put in a lot of intriguing plots for the casual viewer.
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 7:24:52 PM EDT
[#9]
There was a 70's () TV series series named very similar to Blue Book.  I can't remember the exact title.
Same premise.
A couple of Air Force officers go around the country investigating UFO's.
As I recall One episode the Lights were coming from a Classified USAF aircraft.  They two were prohibited from saying exactly WHAT was flying that night.
Most others were shown to be natural phenomena or Human manufacture.
One episode, though, had the UFO save a person from drowning.
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 9:15:25 PM EDT
[#10]
@GiggleSmith

That was Project UFO.

Here's a few episodes on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLajqNV0-qkKcoHvJbvuuFvWFXNTOEZ1tT
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 9:38:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
@GiggleSmith

That was Project UFO.

Here's a few episodes on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLajqNV0-qkKcoHvJbvuuFvWFXNTOEZ1tT
View Quote

Thanks, I forgot it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top