User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 10:24:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

In a past thread after a school shooting I was assured that many would probably volunteer to do it for free.
View Quote
Fuck that noise, they would have to pay me for my skills.

I propose a per-head student surcharge to pay for security, no different than any other school fee that is charged.

Schools are a bottomless pit as to funding and take up a large percentage of property tax in most locales, time that those that have kids in school start paying a user fee for the "extras" they want.

The courts have already ruled that you have no right for protection from the police so if you want it for your kids to have "security" then pony-up and pay for it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 11:00:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Cohabitate a sub-station at every school.  Let the teachers keep the sub-station stocked up with fresh coffee and donuts, and give them some desks to get some work done.

Etch out about 15 spots for police cruiser parking, and keep at least five parked there at all times.
View Quote
This, and for those employees not wanting to cary a gun must carry an OC can on hip, janitors could tote the bigger ones on thigh rig.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 11:01:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Maybe we could put up fences or controlled access points first and keep people who don't belong on campus off?
View Quote
Would require a level of security that is logistically un real.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 11:04:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

In a past thread after a school shooting I was assured that many would probably volunteer to do it for free.
View Quote
I do not expect that at all, work for pay.  Paid police sub stations. If they have them in every FL mall, why the hell not.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 2:26:28 PM EDT
[#5]
haven't you heard OP, they're all heroes... hero hater!!
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 2:38:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
Work for free and be sued into oblivion if something goes terribly wrong?

Where do I sign up?
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 3:13:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Bingo, I handle all investigations of Juvenile crime that occur within the school district.  Patrol calls at home are forwarded to me for follow up as well.  Now, here are the requirements to get an SRO spot. 25+ years of  some combination of patrol, supervision, investigation experience ( not formal but no one with less is getting promoted into the role ), 40 hour SRO course, with the expectation of taking the advanced SRO course within 2 years, Active shooter training, Alice instructor training, various investigative training, Prefer a bachelors degree but we would consider the right person with only an associates degree depending upon their advanced police schools.  Then one has to be selected after the bid process by both the sheriff, and the school superintendent after several rounds of interviews with both to determine a good potential fit for both the department and the schools.  They don't want knuckle draggers, they want people who can think and work with a highly educated staff and can have the patience to work with k-12 students.  Oddly here all selected have also raised their own kids to adulthood.
View Quote
I know your kind well.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 3:44:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 3:53:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd trust both before I'd trust a fucking 13er.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 3:58:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
But that is too broad a statement. Though I am neither, I have found that there are some police and some vets know very little about handguns. I would trust most at the range that the aforementioned.

I understand the point they are making. But a few vets I know know little about rifles and he was a marine. I can't figure that one out unless he was in the band.
View Quote
Uh, I'm guessing that like any other job, they would establish criteria that the applicant would have to meet before they hired them. You know, those things called qualifications? Since you never applied to a police department or a law enforcement agency, there is a rigorous process that they conduct which include background investigation (not just the simple NICS data check), as well as oral board, written, physical ability, and firearms qualifications (usually only conducted after hiring and are required on a quarterly - for federal or yearly for state and local - basis to keep your job). While a position like this wouldn't be as rigorous as an LEO position, they would still check you out thoroughly before hiring you to carry a rifle/pistol on a school. Like the anti-gun people like to say, that is just common sense. Unless, the politicians cheapen out and decide to go the private security company route with amateurs that are employed as guards. If they're smart the state will create a special position similar to college campus police with state recognized armed personnel for parochial schools that work for the state and not the school or the school's administrators. Too much politics involved and the administrators will interfere and cause breaks in security because of their school's "policies."
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 4:47:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I haven't read responses yet, so I apologize if I am simply repeating what others have said...

I have thought about this subject a great deal.  At first, I thought, well, maybe putting a couple of vets in the school wouldn't be a bad thing.

But, as the OP points out, not all vets are proficient with handguns.  So then I thought - extra training, duh!  We can simply train the people that we put in the schools to protect them.

But then it occurred to me that, although most of these school shootings are just one guy, what happens if multiple guys attack.  They target the defense force first, and then the kids are left unprotected for the slaughter once more.  So, obviously, we need more than just a couple of guys.  So, maybe a company sized protection force?

But then, what happens is the school shooters are spec ops trained.  I mean, seriously, have you ever gotten the opportunity to see what spec ops can do to "regular" soldiers.  Our defense force would never stand a chance.  And, let's be honest, putting a brigade sized force at each school is just silly.

And what if our school attackers have an air force?  Or nuclear weapons?  Or can teleport, a la Star Trek, perhaps even through time, to certain points within the school.

Clearly, this takes more thought...

First, we need to establish our defense zone.  It can't be just the school itself.  That is too close to the kids.  We don't want to get ridiculous with this, though, so we will build a wall, 20' tall and hardened with 1' thick steel on each side (inside and outside), on the edge of the school grounds.  In some cases, we may need to expand school grounds slightly, but in most cases, current school grounds should work.  The wall should be topped with razor wire on all sides.

The wall will have 1 gate, in the front, that will close automatically 5 minutes before school is to begin, and will open 5 minutes after school is let out, providing that all "All Clear" buttons (located in all different sections of the school) have been pressed within 3 seconds of each other.  This gate should be at least 3' thick hardened steel.

Of course, a determined force could overcome a wall if it is not properly defended, so we need to make sure that get some defenses up.  Since we can't necessarily trust people, I am suggesting that we use motion-sensing auto-turrets, perhaps with thermal sensing as well for extra security.  We will need at least 50-100 for each side of the wall, in multiple calibers from 5.56 to 50 cal.  These turrets should engage anything within range outside of the wall from the time the gate closes to the time that it opens again.  We should probably put up signs warning people outside of the auto-turrets and the mine fields (did I mention the mine fields outside of the wall yet? we definitely need mine fields, but the mines will only engage during school hours), but those signs are expensive, so screw that...

Of course, that wall can be defeated, so we need to put defenses inside as well...

First, the school grounds inside the wall (except the sidewalks, of course) will be heavily mined.  These mines will be active at all times.  You touch the grass, you die.  We will tell the kids this, but no signs will be posted.  We don't want the enemy to know this.

Motion-sensing turrets will also be mounted on the walls of the school.  These will all be in 5.56, since we don't really need the larger calibers or longer distance here inside of he walls.  Besides, having the bullets bounce off of the steel plated walls at that velocity should make things inside the walls "extra sporty".

Metal detectors will be placed on both sides of the gate, with a set of turrets just inside of the gate to engage if metal is detected.  Once again, students will be told of this, but no signs will be posted.

Air defense systems (PATRIOT, THAAD, and perhaps Vulcan) will be mounted on the roof of the school to defend from air attacks.  Anything above 15' in the air within 6 miles of the school will be automatically engaged and destroyed.

The school, itself, will of course also need some changes...

First, all outside windows and doors (except 1) will be removed.  The walls will be reinforced, then plated with at least 1' of steel.  The outside doors will also be steel reinforced (at least 1').  These doors will automatically close and lock when the school day begins, and open at the end of the day based upon the same criteria (the "All Clear" buttons) as the front gate.

Interior doors will also be reinforced with steel and will automatically close and lock at the beginning of each class period.  They will stay locked until the end of class, when they unlock automatically as long as long as all teachers have pressed their individual rooms "All Clear" buttons within 3 seconds of each other.

Motion-activated auto turrets will be located in all hallways.  They will be active whenever the classroom doors are locked.  We will probably do these in 9mm.  I'm still debating on hallway mine fields, but that seems like it might be a bit over the top.

The trickiest part of this is how to deal with those Star Trek type transporters.  Obviously, we don't have the technology to shield the classrooms from them, so we have to do something in the classrooms themselves.  Our only answer appears to be motion activated auto turrets again.  We can create a space that is not monitored for the teacher to write on the blackboard, but the students will have to be very, very still.  I'm sure that they'll learn better that way anyway.

I know what you're thinking -- "what if there is a fire or a tornado?".  Well, we can protect them from everything.  We simply can't have anymore school shootings.  It's for the kids...

Or, maybe we can simply remove the dumb ass "gun free zone" signs, and let teachers that wish to carry do so (free training would be a big plus).  Not knowing that the kids there were virtually defenseless would likely slow down more than a few of these sick pieces of shit.

ETA:  can't type
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 5:12:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Unless there is some massive Federal funding plan, the vast majority of American school systems cannot afford guards.

just saying
View Quote
When I went to High School there were 2200 students (3 year HS), 1 principal, 2 vice principals, 3 secretaries, and 4 guidance counselors, and every other day a nurse.

With an overhead count like the above, the typical school system COULD afford armed guards.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 8:31:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You mean educated and experienced?  I would bet you know a good number of My kind.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know your kind well.
You mean educated and experienced?  I would bet you know a good number of My kind.
No, and yes.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 8:47:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Handguns?

Who the fuck thinks that's a good idea? A long gun with a sidearm would be ideal.

Problem with the idea is the "security" will very quickly be tasked with other bullshit duties unrelated to security, and their focus will suffer. Just like the current crop of School Resource Officers.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 8:53:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Why don't the police do it now?  Protect and serve?
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 9:21:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Why don't the police do it now?  Protect and serve?
View Quote
Hire a guy per school. I am all for it.

Then during the summer they can help fill in vacations.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 11:04:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Make the parents volunteer 1 day a month each, some security training involved.
a walkie talkie radio transmission to the admin office and classrooms to start lockdown procedures at the first sign of trouble.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 2:01:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 2:05:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 7:40:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Go ahead, say what you mean.  Is your preference uneducated and inexperienced????
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, and yes.
Go ahead, say what you mean.  Is your preference uneducated and inexperienced????
You got it.

College education has ZERO to do with anything Law Enforcement related. ZERO.  Truly "experienced" Cops know this.
Similarly, time in service is not a fair or accurate indicator of experience, competence, or suitability.   Again, truly "experienced" Cops know this.

My experience and observation of those that "hang their hat" on education are typically self-agrandizing, self-promoting opportunists with little to no empathy for others, and a limited ability to interact with others, unless it suits self-agrandizing, self-promoting opportunism.

As for "experience":

Time in service/tenure does not qualify as experience.   Show me an Officer with unfounded complaints in his/her file, and I'll show you an Officer that is effective on the street that has REAL experience- regardless of time in service.

Some Officers should never have been Officers to begin with. They know who they are, and how they are. And they know why.  These kind loathe and resent truly "experienced" Officers for exposing them, not by word or deed, but through the contrasts in character.

A truly "experienced" Officer works the street, not the Office,  and doesn't have the time/opportunity to get a formal education while working because they're too busy going to Court on their days/time off, or trying to get some sleep before their next shift. Again, you show me an Officer that's going to school while he/she works as a full-time Cop, and I'll show you an Officer that has an "inside" job with cushy days/hours that have almost nothing to do with real Police work, doesn't leave the Office/Station, lets other Officers do all the talking, report writing, and make arrests, but knows the brass well. In fact, this type of Officer may be on a first name basis with the brass, or even spend off-duty time with them.

Of course, some may have achieved formal "higher" education before becoming an Officer, which is fine. Some Officers with a degree are very good, just as are some without, not because they do/do not hold a degree, but because they have true experience and character.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:02:50 AM EDT
[#21]
My dad was in the military for 12 years. He's a gun hating libtard. Was talking about the shooting on the phone with him yesterday. He kept giving me typical liberal stats and I kept hitting him with facts. He just went right back to, if he just had only ten round magazines, it would have taken him longer to shoot so the cops would have had more time to kill him. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't police get there after he was done killing people and he escaped by mixing in with the kids fleeing the school? Not all Veterans and Police Officers are created equal.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:10:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Uh, I'm guessing that like any other job, they would establish criteria that the applicant would have to meet before they hired them. You know, those things called qualifications? Since you never applied to a police department or a law enforcement agency, there is a rigorous process that they conduct which include background investigation (not just the simple NICS data check), as well as oral board, written, physical ability, and firearms qualifications (usually only conducted after hiring and are required on a quarterly - for federal or yearly for state and local - basis to keep your job).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
But that is too broad a statement. Though I am neither, I have found that there are some police and some vets know very little about handguns. I would trust most at the range that the aforementioned.
I understand the point they are making. But a few vets I know know little about rifles and he was a marine. I can't figure that one out unless he was in the band.

Uh, I'm guessing that like any other job, they would establish criteria that the applicant would have to meet before they hired them. You know, those things called qualifications? Since you never applied to a police department or a law enforcement agency, there is a rigorous process that they conduct which include background investigation (not just the simple NICS data check), as well as oral board, written, physical ability, and firearms qualifications (usually only conducted after hiring and are required on a quarterly - for federal or yearly for state and local - basis to keep your job).
The term rigorous is used rather loosely by many departments across the country when it comes to the hiring process.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:49:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 9:27:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
That is when SROs take their vacation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hire a guy per school. I am all for it.

Then during the summer they can help fill in vacations.
That is when SROs take their vacation.
As per the contract, you can restrict times they take off to help with shift coverage.

They work a 40 hr work week, get a few weeks off.  They're not teachers.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 10:19:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 10:32:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Reading this thread you'd think that mass casualty events at public schools are an every day occurrence and that kids are getting gunned down willy nilly by deranged psychopaths.  But what happened in Florida is exceedingly rare, despite what the media is telling you.

Has anyone actually done the math on how much it would cost to put a competent armed guard at all 100,000 or so public schools in America, and then compared that to the number of lives that it could possibly save?  Assuming you spend $30k on salary, benefits, training, and equipment, per guard you're looking at $3 billion a year.

And we'll save what?  25 lives a year?  Tops?  That's about $120 million per life saved - and that assumes a guard will stop every single mass shooting (it won't) and that you can find competent people willing to work for $30k a year and no benefits (you can't).  This is not, as the actuaries would say "cost justified."

There are also all of the negative cultural effects associated with getting all of our children used to the idea that an armed government agent will always be there to watch everything you're doing and to protect you from anything bad that is going to happen.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 10:36:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Assuming you spend $30k on salary, benefits, training, and equipment, per guard you're looking at $3 billion a year.
View Quote
It would cost way more than that per guard.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 10:37:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

It would cost way more than that per guard.
View Quote
Yeah, I know - I was trying to lowball it.  It's probably closer to $100k by the time you factor in benefits, payroll taxes, etc.

This idea is insane.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 10:37:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 10:39:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Your figure is very low.  I can't think of anywhere someone is willing to work for that. Even a retired / returned is going to want much more.
View Quote
See above.

I was trying to lowball it.  The $120 million per life saved number gets even worse if you raise the $30k number up to where it would need to be.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 10:49:15 AM EDT
[#31]
If you want to actually do security start with a fence with barbed wire and a gate. Control access to campus, require an ID to get on campus. Sign in if a "guest". Then put metal detectors at entry points, require an ID to get in. Again guests sign in. Now that a guest has signed in they have x number of minutes to get from the front gate to the entry point with the metal detector, no lolly gagging around on campus looking for entry, someone comes and finds you. Have only one or two entry points into the school. Every fire exit is alarmed and monitored on CCTV. If people want to be "safe" in schools work on actual security first. I am not saying my ideas are perfect or even close to perfect, I am not a security specialist. How about they find some people that are.

The truth is the largest single school incidents involved fires. After the Our Lady of Angels fire that killed like 76 kids they started redesigning schools and it worked. Let's start making security changes before we make law changes. Laws don't really change much.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 9:14:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Gutfeld: An attempt to solve mass shootings
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top