Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/20/2020 12:46:59 PM EDT

The definitive story of Hermann Göring's special armoured train codenamed 'Asien', its make-up, operation and fate, including lots of archival footage never publicly seen before.

The US Mission to Capture Hitler's No. 2

Link Posted: 5/20/2020 12:50:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I bet he knew all kinds of things about special trains.  And bathhouses.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 12:54:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By NOVA1234:
I bet he knew all kinds of things about special trains.  And bathhouses.
View Quote

US operation to capture Nazi “wonder weapons” is STILL “classified” as of today, and it’s called Operation Paperclip.

I bet he knew all the secrets.  

BTW - one of the jet fighters they were developing - the Horton - has been proven to have stealth capability designed into it (in the 1940s).

Wonder what’s still classified ??
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 1:07:11 PM EDT
[#3]
It’s always interesting to see how armored trains were used throughout WWII.  The closest relic would be the Peacekeeper Rail Garriaon ICBM that was never put into operation.  Gone the way of the battleship.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 1:10:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Hope he enjoyed the ride.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 1:11:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Smells like watersports, pervitin, and heroin on there i bet.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 1:14:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Fat fuck.  

Link Posted: 5/20/2020 1:15:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By crownvic96:
Smells like watersports, pervitin, and heroin on there i bet.
View Quote

a bit of meth too.

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 1:16:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 1:27:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I THINK this is car I saw as a younster .... probably in early 50s. It was on tour in a semi trailer and parked in front of the local library.I think  it cost 25 cents to walk through.Somewhere I have a postcard my Mom bought at the time.

https://images.app.goo.gl/LXDMRifypGRd3u5j9
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 1:32:11 PM EDT
[#10]
He had his own canning company for artificial crab meat
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 1:36:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By 9divdoc:
He had his own canning company for artificial crab meat
View Quote

But I bet a lot of touching was required. A lot of it...
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 1:36:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Hitler had a pimp train too. Supposedly he used two of the gorgeous streamlined DRB 01.10 class steam express locomotives for his highly publicized trip to conquered Paris.  I gather they weren't too reliable, the boilers were made of inferior steel, and the streamlined cladding made maintenance more difficult so he probably used mundane locomotives most of the time.

Link Posted: 5/20/2020 1:38:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Mal_means_bad:
Hitler had a pimp train too. Supposedly he used two of the gorgeous streamlined DRB 01.10 class steam express locomotives for his highly publicized trip to conquered Paris.  I gather they weren't too reliable, the boilers were made of inferior steel, and the streamlined cladding made maintenance more difficult so he probably used mundane locomotives most of the time.
https://i.servimg.com/u/f44/15/64/85/54/o1_1010.jpg
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/c3/c3/42/c3c342cb4dd292827717329156f5b5bd--trens-steam-locomotive.jpg
View Quote

That really is gorgeous. Almost steam-punkish, but drop-dead gorgeous.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 1:40:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Miami_JBT:

@krecon1, you need to read up on the Krajina Express and its use during the break up of Yugoslavia.
View Quote

I have not heard of that one - I’ll check it out.  There were also some efforts by Russia to bring back their rail ICBMs, but seems that program is either on hold or cancelled.  Also some limited use of improvised trains in the Donbass region.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 1:41:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By SIASL:

That really is gorgeous. Almost steam-punkish, but drop-dead gorgeous.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SIASL:
Hitler had a pimp train too. Supposedly he used two of the gorgeous streamlined DRB 01.10 class steam express locomotives for his highly publicized trip to conquered Paris.  I gather they weren't too reliable, the boilers were made of inferior steel, and the streamlined cladding made maintenance more difficult so he probably used mundane locomotives most of the time.
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/c3/c3/42/c3c342cb4dd292827717329156f5b5bd--trens-steam-locomotive.jpg

That really is gorgeous. Almost steam-punkish, but drop-dead gorgeous.

Nazi's were assholes... but no one can deny that they were not gorgeously designed while being assholes.....planes, trains, uniforms... they were aesthetically pleasing...
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 1:47:23 PM EDT
[#16]

@krecon1, you need to read up on the Krajina Express and its use during the break up of Yugoslavia.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By krecon1:
It's always interesting to see how armored trains were used throughout WWII.  The closest relic would be the Peacekeeper Rail Garriaon ICBM that was never put into operation.  Gone the way of the battleship.

Is that the one that had a M18 Hellcat on it?
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 1:48:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

US operation to capture Nazi "wonder weapons" is STILL "classified" as of today, and it's called Operation Paperclip.

BTW - one of the jet fighters they were developing - the Horton - has been proven to have stealth capability designed into it (in the 1940s).

Wonder what's still classified ??
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

US operation to capture Nazi "wonder weapons" is STILL "classified" as of today, and it's called Operation Paperclip.

they had a deliverable nuke before we did.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 1:50:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Is it just me, or is it ironic Hitler's train was code named Amerika?
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 1:51:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/20/2020 1:57:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By ThrustMyStoma:
they had a deliverable nuke before we did.
View Quote

Not convinced of that.

HOWEVER: their nuke program was a hell of a lot more advanced than we have been lead to believe.

- their Norwegian “heavy water” program was advanced when we arranged for Norwegian resistance to sink their boat;

- their U boat U-233 or 235 was carrying a lot of refined uranium when it surrendered to the Canadians

- an Austrian bunker complex was sealed shut with explosives in 1945, but still shows very high radiation levels.

Plus, they test-launched a V-2 rocket at sea in the 1940s after it had been towed behind a U boat underwater.

Link Posted: 5/20/2020 2:00:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Dominion21:

US operation to capture Nazi “wonder weapons” is STILL “classified” as of today, and it’s called Operation Paperclip. 

I bet he knew all the secrets.  

BTW - one of the jet fighters they were developing - the Horton - has been proven to have stealth capability designed into it (in the 1940s). 

Wonder what’s still classified ??
View Quote

Their contact with aliens is still classified.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 2:04:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By BENLPN:
Nazi's were assholes... but no one can deny that they were not gorgeously designed while being assholes.....planes, trains, uniforms... they were aesthetically pleasing...
View Quote

Yep.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 2:12:02 PM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

He parked one of his armored trains just on the German side of the border ( annexed Czechoslovakia) for the invasion of Poland. That was his ride to the Fuhrer headquarters in the East.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 2:14:40 PM EDT
[#24]
There were other special trains (Sonderzüge in German) used by prominent German officials;[6][7]

Ministerzug (Ministers' Train), used by Joachim von Ribbentrop and Heinrich Himmler
Sonderzug "Afrika" (also called "Braunschweig"), used by the chief of the Armed Forces High Command (Oberkommando der Wehrmacht (OKW))
Sonderzug "Asien" (also called "Pommern"), used by Hermann Göring
Sonderzug "Atlantik" (also called "Auerhahn"), used by the supreme commander of the Navy (Kriegsmarine)
Sonderzug "Atlas" (also called "Franken"), a command train used by the Armed Forces Operations Staff (Wehrmachtführungsstabes)
Sonderzug "Enzian", a command train used by the chief of the Intelligence branch of the Luftwaffe (Nachrichtenwesens der Luftwaffe)
Sonderzug "Ostpreußen" (also called "Sonderzug 4"), used by the Army General Staff (Oberkommando des Heeres (OKH))
Sonderzug "Robinson 1", used by the chief of the Command Staff of the Luftwaffe
Sonderzug "Robinson 2", used by the chief of the General Staff of the Luftwaffe
Sonderzug "Steiermark" (also called "Heinrich" and "Transport 44"), used by Heinrich Himmler
Sonderzug "Westfalen", used by Joachim von Ribbentrop
Sonderzug "Württemberg", used by the Army General Staff (Gen. St.d. H. – Generalstabs des Heeres)
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 2:21:55 PM EDT
[#25]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By krecon1:
It's always interesting to see how armored trains were used throughout WWII.  The closest relic would be the Peacekeeper Rail Garriaon ICBM that was never put into operation.  Gone the way of the battleship.

Was that the mobile artillery train ?
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 2:25:12 PM EDT
[#26]
View Quote

If they had a deliverable nuke before we did, then how come it wasn't delivered?  
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 2:28:59 PM EDT
[#27]
They can also divide by zero.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 2:30:12 PM EDT
[#28]

US operation to capture Nazi “wonder weapons” is STILL “classified” as of today, and it’s called Operation Paperclip. 

BTW - one of the jet fighters they were developing - the Horton - has been proven to have stealth capability designed into it (in the 1940s). 

View All Quotes

Interesting
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 2:30:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 2:30:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

@krecon1, you need to read up on the Krajina Express and its use during the break up of Yugoslavia.
View Quote

Manevarska municija - Voz Krajina Ekspres

In combat:
Bojni vlak tzv.krajina express , TV Beograd 1991

This comment also led me to a video tour of a disabled armored train at Gradacac:

Chris Tarrant: Extreme Railway Journeys 'ARMOURED TRAIN'

Link Posted: 5/20/2020 2:40:03 PM EDT
[#31]
View All Quotes

US operation to capture Nazi "wonder weapons" is STILL "classified" as of today, and it's called Operation Paperclip. 

Wonder what's still classified ??

You guys just parrot shit like that to tweak the other amateur historians....        It works..

Link Posted: 5/20/2020 2:45:08 PM EDT
[#32]

View All Quotes

Haunebu II, Die Glocke......2 of the “rumored” advanced aircraft the Germans developed
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 2:50:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Kharn:

a bit of meth too.

Kharn
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Kharn:
Originally Posted By crownvic96:
Smells like watersports, pervitin, and heroin on there i bet.

a bit of meth too.

Kharn

Pervitin was meth
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 2:56:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

If they had a deliverable nuke before we did, then how come it wasn't delivered?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
they had a deliverable nuke before we did.

Because the statement is dumb beyond all measure. They didn't even have basic refinement methods figured out, much less an operational device.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 3:02:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Nazis made great advances in aerospace, (Missiles, swept wings, concepts), small arms, camoflage, crash helmets, submarines and systems ... a lot of Soviet and US research over the next 15 years stemmed from this work.

Despite the heroic efforts of Norwegian and UK commandos, the Nazi atomic program was shit and never even had a working reactor due to poor design, fire and lack of support. They were never even close to a respectable start; compare the scale and effort it took in the US to deploy three working bombs by summer 1945.

Their aircraft designs were super cool (technical term) but were not stealth:

https://airandspace.si.edu/collections/horten-ho-229-v3/about/is-it-stealth.cfm

No nukes, no secret nukes, no radioactive trains, no moon bases, no Saucer, Glocke, time travel...no Red Skull, no working invocations of Odin... Hitler couldn’t get past bomber Me-262s and bolt action rifles until it was too late. Their actual technical achievements are interesting enough.

That’s what happens when you let an uneducated terminal corporal vegetarian run your country while high on meth.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 3:02:26 PM EDT
[#36]
My grandfather guarded him at Nuremberg during the pretrial proceedings (they changed the guard at the beginning of the actual public trials). Lots of stories about him, including interactions with Bill Donovan and the like. That guy did a lot of drugs and stole a whole lot of stuff.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 3:22:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Lonesome_Dave:

If they had a deliverable nuke before we did, then how come it wasn't delivered?  
View All Quotes

If they had a deliverable nuke before we did, then how come it wasn't delivered?  

I have read something large was detonated on the eastern front as the soviets pushed forward but any device from that time would be highly dirty and leave a tell tell signature.
The most difficult component of a basic atom bomb is the detonator.
We made two bombs each being detonated in a different manner to see which one worked best.
The urchin compression system won out in the end.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 3:25:16 PM EDT
[#38]
View Quote

Wow that looks like something a Third Stage Guild Navigator would travel in.  Like this:

Link Posted: 5/20/2020 3:31:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Tag for later viewing
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 4:24:17 PM EDT
[#40]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hitler had a pimp train too. Supposedly he used two of the gorgeous streamlined DRB 01.10 class steam express locomotives for his highly publicized trip to conquered Paris.  I gather they weren't too reliable, the boilers were made of inferior steel, and the streamlined cladding made maintenance more difficult so he probably used mundane locomotives most of the time.

Wow that looks like something a Third Stage Guild Navigator would travel in.  Like this:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/_2uqu0r4aR3NbSa8fg32vIKsiGTGys5LsBf-BHMdSQezYN9iBIrSXenY54tDURmcBj1RS77AkoLW7Fn6eywJC6pgRtIjt-2YisYfNBClS1R_
The nacelles of the Enterprise refit are thought to be influenced by Chesapeake and Ohio locomotives and Ford grills of the 40's:
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/20/2020 4:39:07 PM EDT
[#41]

View Quote

Die Glocke to start.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 7:32:07 PM EDT
[#42]
This is a pretty interesting book about all the vitamins drugs they were taking.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 7:37:44 PM EDT
[#43]

View All Quotes

Police dispatchers entered in the coordinates for Atlantis instead of America, which is why a lot of stuff is still classified.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 7:46:35 PM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

They were waiting until things started to look desperate.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 8:10:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
This is a pretty interesting book about all the vitamins drugs they were taking.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/44277/Screen_Shot_2020-05-20_at_6_31_15_PM_png-1425560.JPG
View Quote
I just read it two weeks ago. It was amazing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top