BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 10:40:01 PM EDT
[#1]
edit
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 10:50:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm no constitutional lawyer, but I don't think that would fly here without an amendment. Then again, if Democrats take over anything is possible.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 11:05:03 PM EDT
[#3]
From the article; "a 5% tax on the wealthiest 5% of American households could raise up to $2 trillion."

You know if they roll this out, it won't be "top 5%", the upper middle class is far too numerous for them to pass over.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 11:25:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By shblackdragon:

From the article; "a 5% tax on the wealthiest 5% of American households could raise up to $2 trillion."

You know if they roll this out, it won't be "top 5%", the upper middle class is far too numerous for them to pass over.
View Quote

Yep. It'll be an upper middle class tax. I'll hazard a guess at the $150k - $500k range depending on location. Above that and most can afford to hire people to set up businesses, tax shelters, etc. so they pay little tax if any when it's all said + done.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 6:39:59 AM EDT
[#5]
It will trickle down. All sh§t flows down hill.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 7:21:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yep. It'll be an upper middle class tax. I'll hazard a guess at the $150k - $500k range depending on location. Above that and most can afford to hire people to set up businesses, tax shelters, etc. so they pay little tax if any when it's all said + done.
View Quote
It may start out as for the upper middle class, until it inevitably trickles down to the rest of the middle class and percentages creep up. Look at how the income tax has evolved. It started out in 1913 at 1%, and now look at your tax bracket today.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 7:21:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Dirtydog:
I'm no constitutional lawyer, but I don't think that would fly here without an amendment. Then again, if Democrats take over anything is possible.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dirtydog:
I'm no constitutional lawyer, but I don't think that would fly here without an amendment. Then again, if Democrats take over anything is possible.

The Constitution gives the feds the power to collect taxes, the 16th Amd removes the requirement that such taxes be apportioned among the states  (I believe that is the modern understanding, in very brief form).  Based on the fact that the 16th Amendment removes the apportionment rule for INCOME taxes, I suspect a wealth tax would have to be apportioned to meet Constitutional muster - in which case it may well be politically infeasible in the modern era without another amendment.

Article I, Section 9, Clause 4:

No Capitation, or other direct, Tax shall be laid, unless in proportion to the Census or Enumeration herein before directed to be taken.

This clause basically refers to a tax on property, such as a tax based on the value of land,[2] as well as a capitation.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 9:03:27 AM EDT
[#8]
The last thing the rich politicians that run the democrat party want is a wealth tax. They would actually have to pay that tax.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 11:02:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By wvar15:
The last thing the rich politicians that run the democrat party want is a wealth tax. They would actually have to pay that tax.
View Quote

Yall do know the wealthiest people in America pay lower taxes than the middle class correct?

Running everything through Corps, LLCs, INCs, reduces their tax burden tremendously and the current tax law favors this. Its something the regular Joe doesnt understand.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 12:14:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By pumbaajk:

Yall do know the wealthiest people in America pay lower taxes than the middle class correct?

Running everything through Corps, LLCs, INCs, reduces their tax burden tremendously and the current tax law favors this. Its something the regular Joe doesnt understand.
View Quote

Lower percentages, not lower in dollar amounts.  Big difference.

And super rich aren't a big target; truth is that the middle class is better to tax; they may have less income/wealth, but they are far more numerous and provide the biggest base for tax revenues.

and, as mentioned above, they don't have the extra $ to get into the good tax shelters.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 2:03:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By shblackdragon:

Lower percentages, not lower in dollar amounts.  Big difference.

And super rich aren't a big target; truth is that the middle class is better to tax; they may have less income/wealth, but they are far more numerous and provide the biggest base for tax revenues.

and, as mentioned above, they don't have the extra $ to get into the good tax shelters.
View Quote

Percentage of income is percentage of income.

Taxing the super rich gets you nowhere because they know exactly how to make their taxable money disappear in the forms of businesses and using the tax code for every write off possible.

If you make $70k/yr and are taxed at 22% you loose alot of money. If you make $500k and do it through business loss, appreciation/depreciation, expenses, ect you come out much much further ahead. In other words you keep the money you earn through tax code.

You can tax the wealthiest 1% of the country 100% and they will still end up with more money than everyone because they know how to play the game and have accountants to get the the biggest tax breaks possible.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 8:37:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yall do know the wealthiest people in America pay lower taxes than the middle class correct?

Running everything through Corps, LLCs, INCs, reduces their tax burden tremendously and the current tax law favors this. Its something the regular Joe doesnt understand.
View Quote

Yep they get around income tax by making most of their money through capital gains and other ways that are taxed at a lower rate but a wealth tax would look at net worth and no rich dem wants their net worth taxed. You can only hide so much in LLCs at some point they want to spend it and buy houses, cars, etc... Even their investment holdings would be taxed. There is no way they would allow that to happen.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 10:26:12 PM EDT
[#13]
All you need is an LLC to hide income from being taxed?

Where do you guys come up with this shit, my CPA needs details.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 9:26:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Could the states create their own "wealth tax"?  We sort of have one already through real-estate and personal property taxes.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 10:28:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By shrimpmoney:
All you need is an LLC to hide income from being taxed?

Where do you guys come up with this shit, my CPA needs details.
View Quote

Lol. You know how it works though,  you're a smart guy.  

I went from 175k as an employee to about 90k as an owner and i took home more when you figure the tax savings and all the things the business supplies with me now that came out of my personal budget before.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 10:00:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Fella:

Lol. You know how it works though,  you're a smart guy.  

I went from 175k as an employee to about 90k as an owner and i took home more when you figure the tax savings and all the things the business supplies with me now that came out of my personal budget before.
View Quote

I replaced almost half of my wife's income last year with added cash flowing rentals. I was able to keep more money in my pocket than the previous year in which we only had w2 jobs and making less.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 8:05:02 PM EDT
[#17]
It seems there a lot of people are confused about what a "wealth tax" is. Most here keep talking about "income".
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 10:20:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

From the article; "a 5% tax on the wealthiest 5% of American households could raise up to $2 trillion."

You know if they roll this out, it won't be "top 5%", the upper middle class is far too numerous for them to pass over.
View Quote

Probably any household making over $150k a year, which is actually not that hard to hit when both spouses are working.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top