Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2018 12:18:38 PM EDT
Started making mead last night.
Went to a brewery store last night, got good mead yeast, nutrient, cleaners/disinfectant, and honey.

So far there's been no activity.
They told me to just pop the internal packet and the yeast would be activated and add it in. I did that, and I could hear it working in the packet, but as of this morning when I left for work there was no activity.

Did I kill the yeast?
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 1:27:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Probably not.  It can take 24-48 hrs before you see activity.  Also, I have some beers bubble overnight and I never saw a bubble.

Take it easy dude.  There is a LOT of waiting in homebrewing.
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 1:47:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Fair enough, I was expecting activity in 30 minutes but I guess that's not always the case.
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 1:47:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I was worried the water might have been too warm for the yeast (I cooked it in a sink of cold water)
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 7:20:36 PM EDT
[#4]
If you're talking about a Wyeast smack pack,  it's best to wait 2-3 hours after you smack it before putting it in your must, but it'll probably be fine.
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 10:40:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fair enough, I was expecting activity in 30 minutes but I guess that's not always the case.
View Quote
30 minutes would be a very rare case.  I suggest some reading. Palmer, Papazion or others.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 9:04:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
30 minutes would be a very rare case.  I suggest some reading. Palmer, Papazion or others.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I’ve only brewed 6 batches of beer and 1 batch of cider , the only time I had my yeast kick off that fast is when I pitched onto a yeast cake.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top