Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2021 11:57:07 AM EDT
I have the opportunity to help with some federal bills that a Congressman wants to file.

If y'all have any suggestions, please post them here or reach out to me. I am currently the Texas Hill Country Coordinator for Gun Owners of America.

The odds of getting pro 2A legislation passed is almost impossible right now, but it helps lay the groundwork for the next session. I am thinking we need to address the ATF and amending the National Firearms Act. I personally want to abolish the ATF and all violations of the 2A by the government, but we know that is unlikely to happen this session.

Thanks,
Wes Virdell
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 12:26:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Only a Bill repealing everything back to and including the NFA of '34 would make our "gun laws" in any way Constitutional. The Pre-Able to the Bill of Rights and the 10th and 14th Amendments are more than enough to "apply" the 2A against State legislation as well. This is upheld by case law for other "Rights".

Crafting any new legislation should have that in mind. To wit...

Force strict constructive intent on any new law.
Language that reminds other legislators that pushing for Gun Control violates not only the 2A (ruled an Individual Right in Heller), but also USC Title 18 Sections 241 and 242. Deprivation of Rights under color of Law and the matching Conspiracy to commit charge. Federal felonies.
Renew the DRMO program to sell surplus/"not quite up to spec" ammo and parts to the civilian markets again.
Repeal those idiotic bans on importation of foreign firearms/ammo/parts.

Give us time... We'll come up with more.

Link Posted: 4/15/2021 12:51:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Bear in mind that the 2nd Amendment (or the entire Bill of Rights) don't CREATE rights... they PROTECT rights that exist already. Approach the new rules that way.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 12:58:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bear in mind that the 2nd Amendment (or the entire Bill of Rights) don't CREATE rights... they PROTECT rights that exist already. Approach the new rules that way.
View Quote
Excellent point.

Modify the FOPA of '86 to remove the Hughes Amendment. This would re-open the NFA registry to pay the $200 tax on newer firearms and accessories.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 1:40:05 PM EDT
[#4]
OP, consider NATIONAL legislation based upon the results of Project Exile.

Project Exile shifted the prosecution of illegal technical gun possession offenses to federal court, where they carried a mandatory minimum sentence of five years in federal prison under the federal Gun Control Act of 1968, rather than in state court. Note that federal law (18 U.S. Code § 922(g) & 924) provides for a penalty of ten years in federal prison for being a "prohibited person", i.e., a convicted felon in possession of a firearm, as well as for falsifying information in order to obtain one, or furnishing a gun to a convicted felon.
View Quote

What could be more "Common Sense Gun Laws" than this? Anyone who votes against this legislation will be outed as Soft On Crime! Imagine the reaction to anyone who votes to actually imprison criminals breaking the law!
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 1:52:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
OP, consider NATIONAL legislation based upon the results of Project Exile.

What could be more "Common Sense Gun Laws" than this? Anyone who votes against this legislation will be outed as Soft On Crime! Imagine the reaction to anyone who votes to actually imprison criminals breaking the law!
View Quote
Actually, this law sucks because non-violent Felons like Martha Stewart and Wesley Snipes are "prohibited persons". Life time disability for non-violent crimes gives very little incentive to "straighten up and fly right". Plus, with the number of "paper" felonies growing at an exponential rate... most people are felons. They just haven't found the prosecutor who wants to charge them yet.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 1:58:11 PM EDT
[#6]
No pro gun bills will pass UNLESS those hack away substantially at rights.

AND I MEAN SUBSTANTIALLY!

Only Pre 1934 is in any way constitutional.

Supreme Court, if it was legit, would throw out all carry permits due to "tax of a right."

Carry, open or concealed, throughout the US and all territories, is a human right.

Self defense is a right.  Stand your ground is a right.

Own whatever weapon you want, in whatever quantity, is a right.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 2:34:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Actually, this law sucks because non-violent Felons like Martha Stewart and Wesley Snipes are "prohibited persons". Life time disability for non-violent crimes gives very little incentive to "straighten up and fly right". Plus, with the number of "paper" felonies growing at an exponential rate... most people are felons. They just haven't found the prosecutor who wants to charge them yet.
View Quote

Then fix it! But put the violent guys behind bars!
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 4:13:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Then fix it! But put the violent guys behind bars!
View Quote
Agreed. That is what the OP is asking for.

As for violent criminals, banning guns isn't working. Catch-n-release isn't working. Maybe making it EASIER for civilians to protect themselves with self-defense tools will help cut down on the number of actual "bad guys" out there as "We, their intended victims" remove the violent from the gene pool.

You know, as the Founders intended. :-)
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 4:53:05 PM EDT
[#9]
HPA for something that 'should be' easy.

Cans should be encouraged, and cash & carry, just like those bastions of firearm freedom across the Atlantic.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 5:21:56 PM EDT
[#10]
All excellent comments above. Thank you for the input.

I look at the 2nd as a restriction on the federal government and not a restriction on the citizen. I am a Frederick Bastiat fan so y'all probably know my thoughts on government. I am also a strong believer in the 10th Amendment.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 5:28:15 PM EDT
[#11]
One of the issues I want to see resolved is what the ATF classifies as a Manufacturer. I was going to get my FFL, but they would consider me a manufacturer and the want me to pay ITAR even though I would not be importing or exporting firearms. I also don't agree with the FFL requirement.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top