Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2024 12:50:07 PM EDT
This last attempt I tried something different.  I rubbed them in olive oil and seasoned liberally with rub.  Put them in my convection oven at 450 for 35 minutes.  These are large drumsticks.  I also made 3-4 deep slits to hold the oil and rub.

So, the skin was somewhat crispy, which I want.  The meat ranged from slightly dry at the hip end to slightly undercooked along the bone.  I eat pretty much anything, but undercooked chicken chewing gives me the willies.  

What do I need to change?  I want fried chicken results, but don't feel like breaking out the oil fryer.  All these website recipes claim perfect fried chicken results, but never deliver.  I'm also avoiding flour because keto.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 12:57:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PNFLDS] [#1]
Dry rub and allow them to sit on cooling racks in the refrigerator for 24-48hrs before cooking.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 1:00:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Interesting.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 1:18:35 PM EDT
[#3]
450 for me is a bit too high.

I put melted butter on mine, then season with whatever floats your boat (I use pepper, and garlic salt and a little bit of paprika).  I cook them in a regular oven (don't have a convection oven) at 400 for about 40 minutes and then turn it up to 450 to get a good crips on the chicken.  Also I don't slice into the meat, not because I think it is wrong just never done it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 1:28:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By thorshammerblow:
450 for me is a bit too high.

I put melted butter on mine, then season with whatever floats your boat (I use pepper, and garlic salt and a little bit of paprika).  I cook them in a regular oven (don't have a convection oven) at 400 for about 40 minutes and then turn it up to 450 to get a good crips on the chicken.  Also I don't slice into the meat, not because I think it is wrong just never done it.
View Quote

I use the same SPGP but add a bit of rosemary. Cook on 350 with a bit of water in the pan for about a hour. When it’s time to turn over I remove the water for gravy.  Cook about another half hour. When this step is ready I add the butter on each piece and turn up the heat to about 450 on a broil. This part goes fast so keep an eye on it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 1:40:02 PM EDT
[#5]
We use our airfryer at 400 degrees for around 30-35 minutes depending on size...we actually used shake and bake last time and they came out great
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 8:09:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Hard to overcook legs and thighs. Go longer at a lower temp, then bump up to 450 when you want to crisp up the skin.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top