Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2023 12:13:30 PM EDT
I have a 2 year old male GSD that has regressed to peeing on the floor. He is not neutered.

Over his life he has regressed a few times to peeing on the floor at night. A few weeks here and there. Now it seems like it is here to stay.  It’s been several months now that it is every night. And quite frankly I am tired of starting my morning every morning by cleaning up piss.

Some more details:

We limit water before bed. Take it away at night. We let him out last thing before bed. Usually 9-9:30. Wake up at 5. But last night my wife stayed up until midnight and let him out. Still pee on the floor at 5.

We’ve thrown parties for him when he pees outside. We’ve scolded him when he pees on the floor. He shows remorse and will hide as soon as I look at the pee. But then will do it again the next night.

Now here’s the part that doesn’t make sense. He has never once peed on the floor while we are at work. Not once. Ever. And that’s easily 9-10 hours. Or even longer if we have errands to run after work or whatever. So can easily go 12hrs during the day and not pee. 5hrs at night and pee every time.

About the only thing I can think of is he’s so excited for us to be up and to play and whatever he’s like I’ll just take care of this now so I can just go outside and play in the morning. But one would think he’d share this excitement when we get home from work.

I’m out of ideas. And I’m so tired of cleaning up pee and everything in my house being covered in pee. The amount of paper towels we go through is insane. Anyone have ideas?
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 12:27:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Where does he sleep at night?  May need to crate him, that way if he pees he has to stay in it.  

Our Dutch Shepherd, female, sleeps on her own bed at the end of our bed.  I take her out around 10pm and usually that’s the last time.  She will occasionally wake us up if she needs to go out again.  She low barks until she finally wakes one of us up, lol.

Shepherds are scary smart.  Are you exercising him enough?  Y’all are gone during the day, does he get his energy out in the evening?  Even at 9 years old, my Dutch is a ball of fire if it’s pouring down rain and she doesn’t get her outside exercise time.  Just a thought.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 12:45:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Dog needs to sleep in crate at night.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 12:54:30 PM EDT
[#3]
We tried a crate. He absolutely loses his mind in it. Like freaking out barking crying non stop. Will still pee. And then will be covered in pee.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 1:08:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Have the vet check him out.  If he is ok, start back to the basics of house training.  I would not scold when he does do it in the house.  Show no attention.  Keep up with the praises when he does go outside.  You could try staying up with him a few nights and if you see him going to pee take him outside, heap the praises.  

Our dog loves his cage, goes in on his own just to get away from us.  Sleeps in it every night.  I know all dogs are not the same.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 1:28:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Slingblade2006:
Have the vet check him out.  If he is ok, start back to the basics of house training.  I would not scold when he does do it in the house.  Show no attention.  Keep up with the praises when he does go outside.  You could try staying up with him a few nights and if you see him going to pee take him outside, heap the praises.  

Our dog loves his cage, goes in on his own just to get away from us.  Sleeps in it every night.  I know all dogs are not the same.
View Quote

This.  urinalysis and basic bloodwork; need to start there.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 4:45:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: erwinp] [#6]
Originally Posted By Rosta97:
We tried a crate. He absolutely loses his mind in it. Like freaking out barking crying non stop. Will still pee. And then will be covered in pee.
View Quote

Leave the crate doors open and feed him in the crate.  If he wants the food, he has to go in.  Then when that's "normal", then move to locking him in for a bit giving him teats. Open the crate.  Stretch out the time he's in, treats, etc. etc.  

I had a Old English Bulldog that hated her crate in the beginning.  It's a favorite spot now.

Another tick, is they usually pick a spot to pee that is "out of the way" and where everyone doesn't usually spend any time.  You could also start feeding him in that location.  Dog won't typically go where they eat.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 5:31:12 PM EDT
[#7]
You have to make the crate a safe/fun space for your dog.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 5:38:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Is he sleeping alone away from the family? He might be "pissed" knowing you're home and ignoring him?
Bring him into the bedroom?
GSDs are clingy and want to be near you or touching you most of the time.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 9:23:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sinister] [#9]
Originally Posted By Southrnshooter:
I take her out around 10pm and usually that’s the last time.  She will occasionally wake us up if she needs to go out again.  She low barks until she finally wakes one of us up, lol.

Shepherds are scary smart.  Are you exercising him enough?  Y’all are gone during the day, does he get his energy out in the evening?  Even at 9 years old, my Dutch is a ball of fire if it’s pouring down rain and she doesn’t get her outside exercise time.  Just a thought.
View Quote
Yup.  I walk mine around the block just before bed -- partly because Texas is hot as heck in July - August, and it helps ensure she won't have an accident if she falls into deep sleep.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 9:36:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Rosta97:

We’ve thrown parties for him when he pees outside. We’ve scolded him when he pees on the floor. He shows remorse and will hide as soon as I look at the pee. But then will do it again the next night.

View Quote

Get him checked out by a vet, and stop scolding.   Consider a crate at night.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 10:17:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Vet visit for a UTI is the first step.  Once you know the problem isn't physical then you can look at training issues.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 1:04:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By cjk:
Is he sleeping alone away from the family? He might be "pissed" knowing you're home and ignoring him?
Bring him into the bedroom?
GSDs are clingy and want to be near you or touching you most of the time.
View Quote

I think this is likely the answer. Let him sleep in the bedroom last night. No pee.

Not ideally what I want the solution to be as no dogs in the bedroom has been a rule of mine. But I didn’t have to clean up pee this morning.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 9:28:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Another night in the bedroom another night no pee on the floor.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 10:09:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Great news. Hope it continues.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top