Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2020 10:28:50 PM EDT
My 6 year old lab has started to leak when she naps on the coach or blanket.  Otherwise, she is a very heathy dog.  The vet put her on 50 mg of Proin (perscription) which is a chewable.  It seems like it has become less effective lately.  Does anyone have any other homeopathic suggestions?  She has always been on Purnina ProPlan.  She is a svelt 62 lbs.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 10:32:52 PM EDT
[#1]
She been checked for uti?
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 11:47:45 PM EDT
[#2]
That sucks the Proin isn't working.  Can they up the dosage?

We had the some problem with our Chocolate lab.  She would piss herself when she napped.  The weird thing was, it would never happen at night, only when she napped during the day. She gets two pills a day.

Before she was on proin, she was on something else, but it wasn't as effective. I can't remember what it was called.
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 7:59:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Spayed? Sounds like classic spay incontinence. We had this in our 7 year old Akita bitch. No meds, just doubled her outs and made sure to take her out whenever she looked to be settling in for a nap. She was trained to pee on command. Basically just kept her empty all the time.
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 8:40:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Same thing happens with our 6 year old lab, ever since we got her at 3.  Vet say it’s because she was spayed too early.  Ours is on Proin as well, but it’s 50mg in the morning and 50mg at night.  If we ever forget a dose, she’ll spot a little.  Other than that, all you can do is be johnny on the spot with the bathroom breaks.  If she has a UTI, the pills won’t be enough to manage it and she’ll need some antibiotics for that (happened to us once before)
Good Luck!

LeeLu says, “I hope this works!”
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 8:51:35 AM EDT
[#5]
my 11yr old male had a similar issue

turned out to be diabetes

he now takes insulin,
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 1:17:17 PM EDT
[#6]
If it is truly incontinence and your vet has ruled out other causes you can inquire about DES use with proin.
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 8:03:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Have the vet check for both a UTI and kidney cancer.  Ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 9:34:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Spayed? Sounds like classic spay incontinence. We had this in our 7 year old Akita bitch. No meds, just doubled her outs and made sure to take her out whenever she looked to be settling in for a nap. She was trained to pee on command. Basically just kept her empty all the time.
View Quote
One of the reasons I refuse to consider getting any females of mine spayed...
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 11:20:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
First female, the one with spay incontinence, we did at 6 months like a lot of people do. Big mistake.

Second female, who we took as a direct adopt into a "forever home" (long story) we spayed at 7 years when we got her. No problems so far, and now she's 13, which is OLD for an Akita!

Third female we were going to spay at 2 years to allow for full development, but she developed an ovarian cyst at just over 1 year and went into permanent heat. After screwing around with it for 3 months we spayed her. We really didn't have any choice. And she was so easy to manage in heat, too. Wore her underpants with no complaint, no fuss, no muss. Didn't try to bite our male. We really could have managed her easily for the full 2 or even 3 years. Stupid cyst!
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 12:10:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Same thing happens with our 6 year old lab, ever since we got her at 3.  Vet say it’s because she was spayed too early.  Ours is on Proin as well, but it’s 50mg in the morning and 50mg at night.  If we ever forget a dose, she’ll spot a little.  Other than that, all you can do is be johnny on the spot with the bathroom breaks.  If she has a UTI, the pills won’t be enough to manage it and she’ll need some antibiotics for that (happened to us once before)
Good Luck!

LeeLu says, “I hope this works!”
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/207596/0E7FB684-28EE-4990-A4B2-ED61A5C00757_jpe-1241802.JPG
View Quote
Thanks for your post.  I was looking at the Proin, and it is for twice a day.  I never knew that!  I have been giving one a day since summer without issue.  Only lately has this issue resurfaced.  Thanks for mentioning she will spot if you miss a dose.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 4:57:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Thanks for your post.  I was looking at the Proin, and it is for twice a day.  I never knew that!  I have been giving one a day since summer without issue.  Only lately has this issue resurfaced.  Thanks for mentioning she will spot if you miss a dose.
View Quote
My 65 lb dog has had the incontinence issue for a few yrs. She was put on 75 mg Proin, one in the morning and a half at night. I was giving her that
dose and then realized that if I forgot the 1/2 dose at night there was no problem so I've stuck with just the one in the morning but its a little larger
dose than your girls getting.

Spaying isn't the #1 cause of incontinence but not spaying is the #1 cause of mammary cancer in dogs. 1 in 5 dogs may have some degree of incontinence
after spaying but non spayed females have a 50-60% chance of getting cancer and a 50-60% chance of it being malignant.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 4:04:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yep.  This is usually what vets see this in.  It has to do with spaying and the timing of doing so.  My first dachshund did this, and was on Prion.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 11:22:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Second female, who we took as a direct adopt into a "forever home" (long story) we spayed at 7 years when we got her. No problems so far, and now she's 13, which is OLD for an Akita!
View Quote
You just touched on the number one reason that I personally am willing to put forth the effort and time to underwear train my DoberBitches.

If those training hours and messes along the way that get cleaned up will buy me a single year more in lifespan - It was all worth it...

The studies show trends with respect to longevity and how long they are allowed to remain intact...
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top