Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/15/2023 3:44:36 PM EDT
Like the title says, I'm in the market for a better torque wrench.  The immediate use case is to finish out a long block engine (351C) and install a TKX.  Meaning the things like heads and crank are already installed on the block.  The parts I need to install call for between 12 and 90ftlb.  I'm looking for something that can hit the numbers in that range accurately.

I already have some of the cheap and mid-range asian ones like husky and tekton.  From what I see on the youtube tests, these guys have trouble reliably hitting the number they are supposed to hit.  The numbers on there are treated more like a suggestion than a setting.

Budget wise, I'd like to avoid paying snap-on and matco money if I can avoid it.  Is there something decent thats a level or two below snap-on for somebody who wants to do the job right, but doesnt need to do the job all day every day?
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 6:15:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Guess I'm still old school, I'm still using the craftsman beam style torque wrench I bought 30+ years ago, used it on quite a bit of Ford n Chevy engine builds and repairs, couple of bikes and other stuff had to torque to spec.

It still torques pretty close to spec
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 6:24:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I believe these are cheaper than Snap On and possibly the same company that actually makes Snap On.

I think they are part of the same group of companies.

Could be wrong on all of that.

CDI torque wrenches
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 6:38:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I believe these are cheaper than Snap On and possibly the same company that actually makes Snap On.

I think they are part of the same group of companies.

Could be wrong on all of that.

CDI torque wrenches
View Quote

That is true. Great value with CDI.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 8:08:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Guess I'm still old school, I'm still using the craftsman beam style torque wrench I bought 30+ years ago, used it on quite a bit of Ford n Chevy engine builds and repairs, couple of bikes and other stuff had to torque to spec.

It still torques pretty close to spec
View Quote

If I could still buy an old school craftsman one, I would.  They are a completely different company with different products, manufactured in different factories than they used to be.
I'm shopping for a torque wrench now, not decades ago.  
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 8:27:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Precision Instruments
They make some of Snap On's torque wrenchea
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 11:15:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Precision Instruments
They make some of Snap On's torque wrenchea
View Quote

I guess I'm asking a little bit too much with the range I need.  I'm going through their catalog and don't see any one item that covers 10 and 90ftlb.  CDI does have a 10-100 one, but some of the values I need are at the extreme ends of its range.  Maybe I have to end up getting 2 different ones.
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 7:03:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Just go get a Harbor Freight.   No shit, watch the reviews and tests on YouTube.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 10:47:32 AM EDT
[#8]
CDI is Snap On.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 4:05:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I actually use two different torque wrenches for the range.  I use a 1/4” drive inch-pounds for the lower range, and a 3/8” or 1/2” above that.  Mine are those cheapy HF units. This lets me hit mid-ish range for each wrench.

My coil packs need to be torqued at 12 ft-lb so so I use the 1/4” set to 144 in-lbs. works for me.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 10:38:25 AM EDT
[#10]
I've been using my digital torque adapter more and more.  Turns any wrench or breaker-bar into a torque tool.  

Using a long breaker bar saved my arm doing a two-step torque on split rims...  
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 8:47:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've been using my digital torque adapter more and more.  Turns any wrench or breaker-bar into a torque tool.  

Using a long breaker bar saved my arm doing a two-step torque on split rims...  
View Quote

I had looked at those.  I reckon the downside with that is all the room they require.  There probably isn't room for a socket+torque adapter+ratchet in a bunch of the places up under the hood.
Things like installing headers onto the block and all the accessories and pulleys on the front of the engine.

If I get the torque adapters, I will still end up needing a torque wrench to reach some stuff.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 9:10:02 PM EDT
[#12]
I have both a CDI 1002MFRPH (3/8", 10-100 ft-lb) and a 2503MFRPH (1/2", 30-250 ft-lb) and am happy with them. Yeah, it sounds like you may want two for what you're doing.

Seems like Amazon has the best prices lately. You can usually find used in good condition on ebay if you're pinching pennies and willing to take a chance.

ETA: You might end up with an inch-lb wrench is you want 12 ft-lbs to be away from the ends of the range. Maybe a 2502MRPH?
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 8:40:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Snap on quality fee without snap on prices?

Harbor Freight ICON.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 2:50:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have both a CDI 1002MFRPH (3/8", 10-100 ft-lb) and a 2503MFRPH (1/2", 30-250 ft-lb) and am happy with them. Yeah, it sounds like you may want two for what you're doing.

Seems like Amazon has the best prices lately. You can usually find used in good condition on ebay if you're pinching pennies and willing to take a chance.

ETA: You might end up with an inch-lb wrench is you want 12 ft-lbs to be away from the ends of the range. Maybe a 2502MRPH?
View Quote

From what I'm reading, that 10-100 one comes with the certificate that its only certified 20-100 anyways.    So I'm probably gonna end up with 2.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 3:26:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

From what I'm reading, that 10-100 one comes with the certificate that its only certified 20-100 anyways.    So I'm probably gonna end up with 2.
View Quote

I never noticed but that is correct. The lowest I remember using it was for 18. Guess a third wrench is on my buy list.

I'm curious to have someone test it at 10 sometime. Will have to ask the inspection department at work if they'll do it.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 9:27:03 PM EDT
[#16]
I was in the same boat a couple years ago OP, wanting a similar torque range, not Snap-On cost but wanted American-made (or at least no Chinese) and something of good quality.

I ended up with a CDI with a range of 40-250 ft-lbs and a Precision Instruments with a range of 100-600 in-lbs. Between the two, they will handle pretty much anything I'll likely ever need.

I went with split beam types for both. I think I had a couple reasons for that, but the only one I can remember offhand is you don't have to worry about removing any tension when not in use; you can leave it set to anything, there is no tension applied until you use it. The only downside is you can only run these in one direction, but that doesn't really worry me.

Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:42:26 PM EDT
[#17]
I bought a digital Snap-on. It was $630.

5-125 ft lb

Link Posted: 6/22/2023 11:35:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Harbor Freight ICON.
View Quote
100% not this. icon is polished china turd for $139

for a tiny bit more get USA made CDI  (snap-on) as has been said numerous times.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 12:17:06 PM EDT
[#19]

If it is made in USA, that’s an amazing price. But if you go to the CDI website they have some with the “Made in USA” listed by them, but this model you listed does not have that.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 12:46:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Harbor Freight ICON.
View Quote

This

Countless reviews have confirmed it. The technology is not exactly sophisticated.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 2:30:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

If it is made in USA, that’s an amazing price. But if you go to the CDI website they have some with the “Made in USA” listed by them, but this model you listed does not have that.
View Quote

I just looked. The two I posted above do not have "Made in USA" in their catalog. Pic of engraving. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 7:10:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I just looked. The two I posted above do not have "Made in USA" in their catalog. Pic of engraving. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/182397/20230624_142621_jpg-2862453.JPG
View Quote

Cool!
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 8:50:26 AM EDT
[#23]
To cover the low end of my range, I ended up going with a PREC2FR50F  3/8” Drive Split-Beam Flex Ratchet Click Wrench, 10-50 ft.lbs.  It looks almost identical to the one @PA452 put a picture of.
The project I'm working on is putting all the stuff back on a rebuilt 351C long block.  The lower range one should get me pretty far.  I shouldn't come across any bolts that need the higher range until the front crank bolt and the flywheel.

The engine is back from the machine shop and my boxes of parts to bolt to the outside of it are starting to come in.  Now the fun begins.

Link Posted: 7/21/2023 8:58:23 AM EDT
[#24]
OST.
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 9:12:03 AM EDT
[#25]
CDI
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 9:14:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I got mine from Amazon:

Link Posted: 7/23/2023 12:12:10 AM EDT
[#27]
I have CDI/Snap-On for torque wrenches and torque screwdrivers and they're really great. However, I had to get into Gedore torque screwdrivers because they cover a higher inch pound range than CDI's which only go up to 40 inch pounds.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 1:15:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Go hit up a few pawn shops.  

I scored a Snap-On 1/2" drive for $75 a few years ago.

Never pay asking price at a pawn shop.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 1:57:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Go hit up a few pawn shops.  

I scored a Snap-On 1/2" drive for $75 a few years ago.

Never pay asking price at a pawn shop.
View Quote

Did you send it in for recalibration? I'd have a hard time trusting a pawn shop torque wrench even though it's a Snap-On. Problem is that once you pay the price for recalibration you might as well have bought a new torque wrench.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 2:15:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Happy to report the torque wrench appears to have worked.  Thanks for the suggestions everybody!
I got my motor back together this week and fired it up this morning for the first time.

Link Posted: 8/17/2023 10:34:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Harbor Freight ICON.
View Quote
Yup. More accurate and repeatable than the big boys. Plenty of online testing proving it. I have a 3/8 and 1/2".
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 6:37:22 AM EDT
[#32]
I picked up this gearwrench digit 3/8 off of amazon for $115 on prime day it is $150ish now but download honey and you can have it email you when the price drops

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AY0JF42/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 5:37:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Tekton makes some excellent tools:  Tekton torque wrenches.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 7:57:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Tekton makes some excellent tools:  Tekton torque wrenches.
View Quote

If you watch the youtube reviews of import twerk wrenches, the tekton does about the worst of all of them.  The dial is basically just for show.  It really just has a random number generator inside and will click at a different torque value every time.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 12:08:33 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Did you send it in for recalibration? I'd have a hard time trusting a pawn shop torque wrench even though it's a Snap-On. Problem is that once you pay the price for recalibration you might as well have bought a new torque wrench.
View Quote

Where I work we get our torque wrenches calibrated for free, sent it in, passes every time.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 12:43:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Where I work we get our torque wrenches calibrated for free, sent it in, passes every time.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 11:32:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Nice.
View Quote

I fix helicopters, use torque wrenches pretty much every day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top