Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 4:13:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Seatbelts] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By cmxterra:
Esab Master race checking in.
View Quote

For a portable unit they are great, but at 4k I would get a prime weld 225 and spend the other 3k taking classes.

Look all bullshit aside OP, I encourage you to take the practical advice given very early. Spend the money taking an intro class at your CC and learn on someone else's machine. Otherwise terms like duty cycle and its practical limitations mean jack shit to you.

The thing a lot of people don't seem to understand is its the Indian not the arrow. I run a syncrowave 250 that was made the same year I was born. I'm 34 this year.

Enjoy.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 6:42:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By fadedsun:
At age 35 most men take 1 of 2 paths in life to base their personality on.

On one hand, there's WW2 history. Dudes get really into it.

On the other, smoking meat. We all love that guy.

But me?

I want to get into welding so I can really put my shop to use with the goal of expanding into fabrication. There's some repairs on some vehicles in my shop that need welding.

Which one would be the best first welder to learn on with the possibility of future expansion? ?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/51435/migmax_215_png-3219621.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/51435/titanium_200_png-3219622.JPG

I have a HF credit card and get zero percent interest...so yeah, HF is where I normally go. Price doesn't matter too much.

Update: After reviewing a bunch of youtube videos the Titanium 125 looks like a perfect match.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/51435/titanium_125_png-3220472.JPG
View Quote

I have that and can get decent welds. However it has a very short duty cycle.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 6:58:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By heat762:
Shut it all down men...he wants a trash can welder
View Quote

OR, perhaps he wants to invest only a little bit of money on a machine to play with.  That way he can learn about wants and needs for a next machine if this one ever dies.

Someone new to shooting doesn't go out and buy a Barrett .50 for their first gun.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 7:28:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Narwhals:

If you think telling someone who just wants to learn and may not end up enjoying it to buy a 2k+ welder, GFY

For anyone starting out, sub 500 for all the start up parts is where they should be. They can run that for years and learn then move up to better stuff if they find things that they don't like about their current welder.
View Quote
I would recommend buying the most powerful one you can afford.

I bought a Miller 210 along time ago and shortly afterwards used a Miller 110 voltage portable flux core wire welder felt significantly underpowered with it and didn't think I could even do an adequate job on 1/8" angleIron I was working on.

I think it would be easier for you to learn on a more powerful machine.

I have since gotten a Hobart MVP running on the 220 voltage arrangement for another location and I feel like that's a good welder with plenty of power.

I just felt under gunned with that 110 system I was using that one time.

Link Posted: 5/22/2024 7:55:16 AM EDT
[#5]
He bought a 125amp toy
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 8:08:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Tangotag] [#6]
Welding for a hobby is a ton of fun. I took a welding night class at the Junior college. That opened the door for 2 Tig  GTAW welding classes 2 weeks 40 hours a week each Tig and Advanced Tig. It was a test course for a concentrated pressure vessel welding class.

I bought the entry Millermatic 180 mig welder at the time from the local welding supply. Years later I broke the handle of the gun on my welder. The local supply had them in stock.  I’ve got access to a friend’s Squarewave 220 Lincoln Tig welder at his shop.

The biggest reason to pick up a welder from a local supplier is availability of replacement parts.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 8:13:54 AM EDT
[#7]
I used to have a Everlast tig welder. It did a good job awas a good machine to learn with. The biggest downside was customer support. The display went out and it took 9 months to get it fixed. If I ever get a garage again I'll buy something else.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 8:21:53 AM EDT
[#8]
I love my Titanium 125.  Works perfect for my needs.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 8:22:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jerret_S] [#9]
My local Home Depot had all of the Lincoln welders marked down last week. Weren't gotta grab it deals.but if I was looking for a welder I would have bought one.

I have a Hobart Handler 140 MiG and a Prime weld 225. It's pretty nice for the $875 or whatever it was.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 8:42:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Transformer machines are still a thing.

Sometimes you need more reach -

...or back purge something....

Link Posted: 5/22/2024 9:18:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Forget the welder.

Dude, nice tractor @livinfree

Another thing on my bucket list.

I spent an hour watching youtube videos on setup, using, and controlling the machine. Seems to be easy.

It's only 150$ right now at my local HF.

I mentioned this to my wife and she already mentioned jobs she has for me to include welding up T posts.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/51435/part_to_be_wleded_2_jpg-3220411.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/51435/part_to_be_welded_jpg-3220412.JPG

First project.

View Quote

Flux core + thin metal =

This is a massive departure from the MiG welder you were looking at.  Just to let you know those other welders would do flux core, and you’re on a steep learning curve to weld thin metal to thick.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 9:39:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LurkerII] [#12]
I have used the Titanium 125, welding thin metals, exhaust pipes, works well with wire speed and amperage turned mostly all the way down.

OP, skip the Harbor Freight welding wire. Go to Napa and get the Fourney wire at least.

This dude is also a good watch:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WylABpczww
Plenty of practice lessons on Youtube to get started.

Jeeze dudes, $4k for a starter welder recommendation?

OP, Don't forget the coupon and get the welder for around $129.

Start collecting scraps to practice on now.

Or something similar to this if you have nothing on hand.
Search for the term Welding Coupons, yes that's what practice scraps are called.
Just decide what gauge you want to practice on:

$13.99
https://www.amazon.com/Welding-Practice-Kit%EF%BC%8C24-Piece-18-Gauge-improving/dp/B0CSW5V3FX

Or decorate your shop with these:
$14.99
https://www.amazon.com/WelderElite-Welding-Coupons-Practice-Beginners/dp/B0CNRL5WCH

Get these for 5 bucks too:

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-magnetic-welding-holders-93898.html
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 5:49:13 PM EDT
[#13]
I just got the yeswelder 205ds. It's a learning curve from the harbor freight 90a shitbox i had before but learning is fun. I wish the manual was more specific about settings but it's not that hard to figure out.
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 11:20:49 PM EDT
[#14]
He bought a 125amp toy
View Quote
Meh, its a relatively inexpensive learning process.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 4:11:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By durtychemist:

Flux core + thin metal =

This is a massive departure from the MiG welder you were looking at.  Just to let you know those other welders would do flux core, and you’re on a steep learning curve to weld thin metal to thick.
View Quote

I don’t plan on welding thin metal. Yet.

Attachment Attached File

Welder ordered
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 4:22:09 AM EDT
[#16]
When I worked automotive, learned on a miller 150. I moved on to working maintenance for my cousin’s farm equipment and he had a miller 180. Years later I find myself doing small hobby projects around the house and settled on a titanium 170.

Moral of the story is… if you’re not using it to make money, get your own gas and use good wire. For a shade tree mechanic or hobbyist, that’s all you need
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 4:23:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Welder ordered
View Quote
OP, send me a PM...I have a few extra rolls of 0.035 flux core I can send you...
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 4:29:02 AM EDT
[#18]
I commented before I saw your post about flux core. Do yourself a huge favor and by a tank of argon 75%.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 4:30:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Jason280:

OP, send me a PM...I have a few extra rolls of 0.035 flux core I can send you...
View Quote

I’m by no means a professional and I don’t claim to be. But isn’t 0.035 flux huge for a little 125 machine on 110v?
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 4:37:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By UncleRemis:

I’m by no means a professional and I don’t claim to be. But isn’t 0.035 flux huge for a little 125 machine on 110v?
View Quote
Not at all, I've used a decent amount on an older 140a machine that welded pretty well.  In fact, I'm pretty sure the Lincoln 125a flux core machine kits even include a roll of 0.035" wire.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 4:43:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Do yourself a huge favor and by a tank of argon 75%
View Quote
Considering the machine OP ordered has no gas hookup, solenoid, or method for reversing polarity, I'm not sure a bottle of 75/25 will do him any good.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 4:49:27 AM EDT
[#22]

Considering the machine OP ordered has no gas hookup, solenoid, or method for reversing polarity, I'm not sure a bottle of 75/25 will do him any good.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Do yourself a huge favor and by a tank of argon 75%

You cut out the first half of my post. I already mentioned that.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 4:52:54 AM EDT
[#23]
I don’t know why this is getting weird. OP you bought the wrong welder. Mig without gas isn’t mig.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:26:23 PM EDT
[#24]

View All Quotes

Hell yeah

I don’t know why this is getting weird. OP you bought the wrong welder. Mig without gas isn’t mig.

I know absolutely dick all about welding.

I've been watching youtube videos on welding pretty much on stop over the last couple days.

I have a shop that's more or less kitted out except for welding and one day I'd like to get into fabrication as a retirement gig.

Better start learning now

A 170$ investment to learn while I still work full time is easy to do.

I have some repairs I need to do and the Flux core welder would be absolutely perfect for the applications I need to do.

Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:36:15 PM EDT
[#25]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/51435/IMG_4454_png-3222797.JPG

Welder ordered
View All Quotes

Flux core + thin metal =

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/51435/IMG_4454_png-3222797.JPG

Welder ordered

Well, that welder can’t weld thick metal, so if you aren’t welding thin metal are you gonna try plastic?
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:39:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By _Matt_:

Well, that welder can’t weld thick metal, so if you aren’t welding thin metal are you gonna try plastic?
View Quote

While it will be a challenge with thin stuff, you can absolutely weld 1/8-3/16" without any problem....and you can build a lot of stuff with 3/16" steel.  With a little preheat and proper beveling, 1/4" is possible with .035".
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:41:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Should've got the hobart 140....can at least do 3/16 single pass iirc.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:58:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By shadycoh:

with the magnifying lens inserts makes a world of difference. you cant weld what you cant see
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By shadycoh:
Originally Posted By Steel-Driver-76:
If I had to do it over again, I'd buy a cheaper welder and a better helmet (auto-darkening).  It makes a huge difference.

with the magnifying lens inserts makes a world of difference. you cant weld what you cant see

I have to wear my cheaters 2.0 under my shield.  Tell me more about these magnifier lenses.
And my helmet sucks. Still can't see the weld being put down.

Also, I would opt for the 240v Hobart I stead of the 120v I bought. But the budget was tight at the time.
Cheap welder and cheap helmet. It is auto darkening though.

Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:59:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By _Matt_:

View Quote

Define thick metal.

The thickest I have intentions of welding is 1/4”.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:22:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: durtychemist] [#30]

Hell yeah

I've been watching youtube videos on welding pretty much on stop over the last couple days.

I have a shop that's more or less kitted out except for welding and one day I'd like to get into fabrication as a retirement gig.

I have some repairs I need to do and the Flux core welder would be absolutely perfect for the applications I need to do.

View Quote

You’d be money ahead if you paid for a community college welding class for two semesters instead of buying a cheap welder and an expensive hood. Seriously.

1/4” welding is not happening with a 110 flux core welder.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:25:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Should've got the hobart 140....can at least do 3/16 single pass iirc.
View Quote

It will do up to 1/4" in 2 passes I think.

And it comes with a regulator and the other stuff for gas.

I haven't bought gas yet and have just used flux core wire. I have a grinder also. Lol

But yeah, it does ok for my needs. I do wish I would have gotten the 120/240 one though. Dang I see it's over a thousand bucks now. Geez. It was like 750 when I bought the 140.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 12:30:52 AM EDT
[#32]

You’d be money ahead if you paid for a community college welding class for two semesters instead of buying a cheap welder and an expensive hood. Seriously.

View Quote

Realistically, how much would two semesters cost?  Not to mention, 30+ weeks is a long time to learn on your own actually practicing with the machine and watching YouTube videos.  Besides, I doubt OP is building skyscrapers or trailers to haul nuns in the back yard.

As far as 1/4", it absolutely can be done with proper beveling, preheat, and a couple passes with 0.035" FC.  Is it ideal?  No.  But can it be done?  Sure.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 8:53:02 AM EDT
[#33]
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/27/2024 9:36:03 AM EDT
[#34]

View All Quotes

Flux Core welding part 4: Can it weld thick steel?

This guy shows it is happening and is actually penetrating the steel adequately.

I work a full time job and don't have the time to really attend a community college.

Realistically, how much would two semesters cost?  Not to mention, 30+ weeks is a long time to learn on your own actually practicing with the machine and watching YouTube videos.  Besides, I doubt OP is building skyscrapers or trailers to haul nuns in the back yard.

As far as 1/4", it absolutely can be done with proper beveling, preheat, and a couple passes with 0.035" FC.  Is it ideal?  No.  But can it be done?  Sure.

I have my GI Bill plus the kicker but my wife is using that to get her masters and doctorate.

Flux Core welding part 4: Can it weld thick steel?

This guy seems to show it can do 1/4 steel pretty well.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 9:40:32 AM EDT
[#35]
I have the titanium 125 and it works fine. I built an mg42, mag 58 and a few hk type guns with it. I have since gotten a tig welder but the titanium 125 is an excellent little home hobby welder.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 9:47:27 AM EDT
[#36]
OP, I bought the same welder and for the money its a good little welder to have for basic jobs.  I use it on the farm all the time repairing various things.   I've used on 16ga all the way up to some 1/4" stuff and its "good enough" for farm use.  What's nice is given how small and light it is I can take it to the repair vs. brining the repair to me.  I have a 5000W generator that I can put in the back of my truck and run it.    Its also been a good way to refine my welding skills and it will showed my weaknesses really quickly.

Once you figure out if welding is going to be core to your shop, you can upgrade later and still have a cheap little welder for back up or other odd jobs.

I would buy a few packages of practice coupons to mess around with.  Good way to get a sense for settings before you get onto the real thing.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 9:48:13 AM EDT
[#37]
OP bought a cheap toy of a welder.

This isn't a bad thing. You want to try a new skill, you don't break the bank to do so. What will happen is this little toy welder will either be sufficient to satisfy OP's desires, he'll tire of the hobby and move on without having wasted a fortune, or he'll come to learn the limitations of his machine and buy a more capable unit knowing what he wants in a machine.

A decent, cheap little flux core is excellent to start on. The learning curve on it isn't that bad and most of the cheaper ones more or less come with training wheels. I've got one of the bigger Titanium brand units and it's got a cheat-sheet for voltage and feed rate on the inside cover.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 9:49:53 AM EDT
[#38]
whatever welder you buy you'll need a hookers y blow welding cap.

Link Posted: 5/30/2024 6:52:56 AM EDT
[#39]
3:36 in the video you can see he didn’t get the joint penetrated. There is a gap. That’s the important part of the weld. Plus since he welded the same joint front and back he ore heated it very well for the second pass or get extra penetration.
His comments about seen indications of porosity were also telling o maxing out this machine for 1/4 inch thick welding. He actually says ?so that is not good overall penetration.”

There are sometimes evening classes. It’s how I took mine to learn how to weld. Otherwise you’re just watching videos online thinking you’re weld looks the same instead of learning how to weld.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJHUgbl_yfo

This guy shows it is happening and is actually penetrating the steel adequately.

I work a full time job and don't have the time to really attend a community college.

I have my GI Bill plus the kicker but my wife is using that to get her masters and doctorate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJHUgbl_yfo

This guy seems to show it can do 1/4 steel pretty well.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/30/2024 7:20:05 AM EDT
[#40]

There are sometimes evening classes. It’s how I took mine to learn how to weld. Otherwise you’re just watching videos online thinking you’re weld looks the same instead of learning how to weld.

View Quote

Not really an option everywhere.  I've looked around here.  The closest place is an hour away on the other side of the state and is all certificate programs with the exception of a couple space A classes which never show up on their academic calendar.

Sometimes watching videos and trial/error is all someone has available.

Link Posted: 6/10/2024 8:50:52 PM EDT
[#41]
I’ve got a Miller syncrowave 350.  I’m looking for a mig machine too
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 9:03:59 PM EDT
[#42]
At age 35 most men take 1 of 2 paths in life to base their personality on.

On one hand, there's WW2 history. Dudes get really into it.

On the other, smoking meat. We all love that guy.

But me?

I want to get into welding so I can really put my shop to use with the goal of expanding into fabrication. There's some repairs on some vehicles in my shop that need welding.

Which one would be the best first welder to learn on with the possibility of future expansion? ?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/51435/migmax_215_png-3219621.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/51435/titanium_200_png-3219622.JPG

I have a HF credit card and get zero percent interest...so yeah, HF is where I normally go. Price doesn't matter too much.

Update: After reviewing a bunch of youtube videos the Titanium 125 looks like a perfect match.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/51435/titanium_125_png-3220472.JPG
View Quote

I'm learning on a friend's Vulcan that you posted.
Nice to have other people's equipment and experience.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 9:07:31 PM EDT
[#43]
I have the Titanium Mig 180. It's been great for the around the house stuff I've needed to do.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 9:29:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By BigPolska:
Step one: take welding classes, use other peoples equipment and learn welding processes and how to properly weld

Step two: use this knowledge to make a purchase

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 9:47:24 PM EDT
[#45]
I haven't been able to touch the machine yet. It's still sitting in my closet because it's hot AF outside and raining a ton.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top