Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2022 8:35:38 PM EDT
I’m shopping for a newer but used truck that I can keep and haul the family around for at least the next six to ten years.

I mainly tow a small boat during the year and the occasional 16’ or less trailer. I do require 4x4 due to where I live.

The used market Im looking in is the 2017-2021 range of trucks with 50k or less miles. As of late, I’ve been looking at Tundras heavily. They seem to be the least problematic trucks out there for the time being but have the worst gas mileage. Rams, Ford, Chevy etc seem to always have something going on with these trucks once they pass the 50k mile range for a lot of people.

In this current market, what truck option would you pick for long term? I have a company vehicle so this would only see approximately 10k miles per year
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:49:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I had a 2020 SR5 4x4 Tundra 5.7 that was nice but we took a trip from south east TX to Yellowstone and the front seats were fine but the back was some of most uncomfortable traveling wife, son, mother and I hated every second of that. That trip is the reason we have a Suburban now. We also had an 07 Avalanche that was more comfortable than the Tundra.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:14:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I loved my 2016 3.5 EB Fx4 F-150
Currently have a 22' F-250 with the 7.3 gas.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:47:31 PM EDT
[#3]
F150 with the 2.7L might be great given the low towing needs. Statistically less trouble prone than the 3.5L, lower price, and very good mileage.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had a 2020 SR5 4x4 Tundra 5.7 that was nice but we took a trip from south east TX to Yellowstone and the front seats were fine but the back was some of most uncomfortable traveling wife, son, mother and I hated every second of that. That trip is the reason we have a Suburban now. We also had an 07 Avalanche that was more comfortable than the Tundra.
View Quote

There are two "crew cab" versions of the tundra. One is a full crew cab and the other is like a half-size crew cab with similar back row space to a midsize. Curious which it was.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 11:01:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Wait six months for the market to crash.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 12:28:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Avoid ram ??
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 6:04:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Wait six months for the market to crash.
View Quote

I’m toying with the idea of waiting on it to decline more. However, in a few months the trucks will cost less but interest will be much higher than it is now, even with a large downpayment
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 6:39:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Avoid ram ??
View Quote

Meh.  I like my 21.  Waaaaaay too much electronic bullshit on it, so I'm thinking the longevity will be measured in seconds and not years.

Still the most comfortable and fuel efficient truck I've had.  Even though it's just a half ton, I don't baby it either.

If they don't unfuck the oil filter location, I may not buy another.  I was spoiled in all my other trucks with easy oil changes, this fucking ram(err Fiat) takes two ziplock bags and some triple jointed elbows to change the filter.

Link Posted: 9/23/2022 6:42:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Do the right thing. Buy a Ford.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 6:44:08 AM EDT
[#9]
In this market I would be buying a brand new vehicle and waiting for 4 months for it to be built.

For starters you're financing rate is going to be a lot better if you need it and second of all you're going to get a new vehicle for about the same price
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 7:46:33 AM EDT
[#10]
I recently owned a Tundra and while it was boringly reliable but left a lot to be desired in other areas. Mine had the smaller fuel tank, so when overlayed with 14ish mpg, I never passed a gas station. It was heavy and stable but didn’t tow all that well. I loved the space in the Crewmax cab, but the back seats weren’t all that comfortable.

I currently own an F150 Lariat with the 3.5EB. This motor is great, but I have had a few small issues that I’m thankful we’re covered by the extended warranty. This truck tows much better, is more comfortable and a better daily driver.

As a born chevy guy, I will never buy another GM product. I had two literally fall apart on me under 50k.

I don’t love Ram, mainly from their history of transmission problems, but I think they have sorted that out. They make a damn nice looking truck but I don’t care for some of the little elements they do (rotary shifter knob being one) on their newest lines.

I have an F350 on order that should be built next week. I need to tow heavier weights on longer trips, so the heavy truck is an easy choice. For you, it’s a balance of reliability, performance and comfort. I wouldn’t buy an expensive truck without considering all three.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 1:47:17 PM EDT
[#11]
I typically drive company trucks 80% of the time with the truck being my primary mode of transportation for personal and work use. The last 2 years I’ve been in a 18’ Tundra and prior to that was in an 18’ GMC. My tundra has been dead nuts reliable to 220K miles, and my GM was the biggest POS I’ve ever driven. I out 146K on it in 2 years, and it spent a ton of time in the shop. $12K out of pocket for repairs that weren’t covered under warranty. The Tundra was still more expensive to drive mile for mile.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 4:47:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
In this market I would be buying a brand new vehicle and waiting for 4 months for it to be built.

For starters you're financing rate is going to be a lot better if you need it and second of all you're going to get a new vehicle for about the same price
View Quote

The problem is all of these new vehicles are built like shit.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 6:44:55 AM EDT
[#13]
I’d buy a F150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost. That’s what I currently have and love it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 6:47:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Meh.  I like my 21.  Waaaaaay too much electronic bullshit on it, so I'm thinking the longevity will be measured in seconds and not years.

Still the most comfortable and fuel efficient truck I've had.  Even though it's just a half ton, I don't baby it either.

If they don't unfuck the oil filter location, I may not buy another.  I was spoiled in all my other trucks with easy oil changes, this fucking ram(err Fiat) takes two ziplock bags and some triple jointed elbows to change the filter.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Avoid ram ??

You nailed it,I feel exactly the same way.I do absolutely love my Ram Laramie.I only have 9k,on it, but so far,it is the best all around vehicle I have ever owned.My last 2 trucks have been Toyota's.I decided to just get the oil changed at the dealer because it makes me angry.I have ran 20+ mpg with many tanks with this etorq, and I love the power.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 8:46:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol he's looking for a 17 to 21ish truck.  He's gonna pay out the ass for one.

The best bet would be to go out and buy a fully restored classic vehicle for about half of a used one
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 9:20:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The best bet would be to go out and buy a fully restored classic vehicle for about half of a used one
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depends on where he is at.

I'm not a fan of used stuff in salted road states.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 9:37:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 10:28:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I typically drive company trucks 80% of the time with the truck being my primary mode of transportation for personal and work use. The last 2 years I’ve been in a 18’ Tundra and prior to that was in an 18’ GMC. My tundra has been dead nuts reliable to 220K miles, and my GM was the biggest POS I’ve ever driven. I out 146K on it in 2 years, and it spent a ton of time in the shop. $12K out of pocket for repairs that weren’t covered under warranty. The Tundra was still more expensive to drive mile for mile.
View Quote
Having a vehicle in the shop has other expenses, and I highly doubt that the Tundra burned $12k more in fuel. And if it did, that's because it was on the road, not broken down parked.
Quoted:
I’d buy a F150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost. That’s what I currently have and love it.
View Quote

If I had to buy a domestic half ton, it'd be an F-150 3.5HO. Great power, big cab with 6.5' bed, nice interior, big fuel tank. I'd be pretty confident in its reliability, but do know a couple people with 2015ish 2.7s that like to overheat.

As it is, I put my money where my mouth is and bought a 2020 Tundra. It is a great pickup. "Outdated" but the engine and trans should be reliable, 10.5" rear end, massive brakes, comfortable seats, 38 gallon fuel tank. The 5.7 has a great torque band and pulls well. The suspension is relatively soft, which is good for what I tow (boats) and the rougher gravel roads. I'd add airbags if I was towing heavier. The on the fly headlight adjustment is awesome, the LEDs are very bright, and the foglights are actually useful. I get 14 mpg with the boat and around 17 otherwise.

I wouldn't consider Ram or GM from a reliability standpoint in the half ton segment. Ram's powertrains are pretty good these days with the ZF8, but all the interior tech is not going to age well. GM has somehow managed to make pushrod V8s unreliable for over a decade, along with having unreliable transmissions and shit ergonomics. My mechanic does AFM cam/lifter replacement/deletes most weekends. He is down to 5 hours on the Gen 4s and 6 hours on the Ecotecs (accessory drive has to be disassembled more). What a joke.

I do think pickup prices are going to drop significantly, a lot of idiots have notes they can't afford on them. If you can wait 6 months, that should be long enough to bank enough $ to buy it outright and avoid the whack interest rates that are coming. Right now people are paying new prices for 50,000 mile vehicles, and it is likely it'll realign.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 11:56:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Tundra. Don't buy a new one (2022) the new motors have a lot of issues that need to be worked out from what I understand. As already mentioned, they are boring reliable and fuel economy isn't the best.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 1:00:58 PM EDT
[#20]
If buying used I suggest a pre-pandemic built truck as they are much more reliable.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 7:55:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for the input everyone. So far, I’m leaning towards a 2021 Tunrda SR5 4x4 I’ve found local with 44k on it. They are asking $44k for it but I think I can get them down to $39k as the trucks been there almost two months and has some pin stripes in the paint.

I’ve considered Ford and RAM but at this point, I just want something bare bones without all the fancy add ons as I plan to keep this truck, pay it off fast and have it for years.

I’m still toying with the idea of buy now with shitty interest rates (calling the credit union tomorrow about rates) or waiting a few months, getting a cheaper truck but even higher rates. Overall, the time I’m looking to purchase just sucks.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 7:58:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Everyone loves the back seat in my crew cab tundra.   It's like a sofa in a living room.   They live out more than riding in the back rowsof our Suburban.

Anything smaller than the crew cab....ymmv.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 9:45:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Having a vehicle in the shop has other expenses, and I highly doubt that the Tundra burned $12k more in fuel. And if it did, that's because it was on the road, not broken down parked.
View Quote

Do you really think I drive 80K+ miles every year and not realize that having a vehicle down has hidden costs? The point is the absolutely biggest piece of shit I’ve been unfortunate enough to drive was still cheaper up front costs than a dead nuts reliable Tundra. I’m not particularly concerned with anything you believe or don’t believe.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 12:46:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Avoid ram ??
View Quote

I love my Ram so far... curious as to why you say that? The 5.7 is a great gas engine and the ZF transmissions are probably the best of the big 3. Add to that a comfortable ride and dead-quiet cabin...
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 3:40:11 AM EDT
[#25]
After some looking I decided to bring home a 2021 SR5 Tundra crew cab in 4x4. Best way I can describe this thing is like driving a newer version of my T100!

Price wasn’t as low as I wanted but it’s a CPO and still was cheaper than Rams and Fords in this area. I couldn’t find much in their selection I really fell in love with. It was hard to pass on the Tundra after finding out about the 38 gallon fuel tank and 4.80 gears too from the factory
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 12:37:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
After some looking I decided to bring home a 2021 SR5 Tundra crew cab in 4x4. Best way I can describe this thing is like driving a newer version of my T100!

Price wasn’t as low as I wanted but it’s a CPO and still was cheaper than Rams and Fords in this area. I couldn’t find much in their selection I really fell in love with. It was hard to pass on the Tundra after finding out about the 38 gallon fuel tank and 4.80 gears too from the factory
View Quote

You'll need the 38-gallon tank when you are averaging 13 mpg.

The 2021 Tundra is an antiquated design by modern standards, but at least it will probably be reliable!
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 5:44:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Why would you want something geared so low? I’d imagine those run very high RPM’s at highway speeds with terrible fuel mileage.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 7:18:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Why would you want something geared so low? I’d imagine those run very high RPM’s at highway speeds with terrible fuel mileage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really on the RPMs, 6-speed transmission has pretty tall gears.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 7:35:24 PM EDT
[#29]
On mine stock gearing, 35's, 80mph is almost 2k rpms...and 12.5mpg
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 7:44:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The 2021 Tundra is an antiquated design by modern standards, but at least it will probably be reliable!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think the bare bones idea of the truck is what drew me into it. It’s not stuffed full of electronics and gadgets I’m not going to use and will hate dealing with later on when they break.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 8:50:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

congrats!
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 10:29:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Do you really think I drive 80K+ miles every year and not realize that having a vehicle down has hidden costs? The point is the absolutely biggest piece of shit I’ve been unfortunate enough to drive was still cheaper up front costs than a dead nuts reliable Tundra. I’m not particularly concerned with anything you believe or don’t believe.
View Quote

The chevy got 6-8 mpg better than the Tundra?

That's the math at current prices, even more at 2019 prices.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 2:38:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Get Grand Cherokee or a minivan with a trailer hitch,
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 5:11:27 AM EDT
[#34]
How big are the backseat passengers?

I have a tundra crewmax because at 6'4", I can sit in the back with my leg crossed, and can recline the seat.

If your kids are still like 10 or 12, any crewcab will work.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 9:20:48 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
Congrats! Really happy with mine. I haven't had a tank where I wasn't towing below 15 mpg. Usually around 17. With the 38 gallon tank that is solid range. I also didn't want junk that breaks.

FYI the factory gearing is 4.30.
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes on the bad mileage lol. The transmission is pretty tall meaning 18-1900ish rpm at 70.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 9:43:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

But why put a caveat on it?

The Chevy was cheaper up front but cost you more in maintenance. Why does only the initial price matter and not the cost to own?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top