Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Site Notices
Posted: 11/14/2018 9:34:55 PM EDT
I need a recommendation for a book. I don't know diddly about Custer, and I should.  Help me out.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 10:20:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Not a book, but his brother was a badass.

Thomas Custer
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 10:25:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Next time your in the Hardin MT area stop by Custer's battlefield, it will take your breath away when you understand how it all went down.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 10:33:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Custer and Crazy Horse by Stephen Ambrose
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 6:07:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Custer and Crazy Horse by Stephen Ambrose
View Quote
This one looks like the one to get, thanks.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 4:50:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Son of the Morning Star
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 3:14:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Son of the Morning Star
View Quote
Excellent choice.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 11:53:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Sorry I am really late to this party but might I suggest Little Bighorn History Alliance Forums? It's essentially the ARFCOM of all things Little Bighorn, 7th Cav., and Custer. It's a real treasure trove of knowledge about those events and people. There are plenty of book suggestions found there too.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 12:24:17 PM EDT
[#8]
He’s buried in the cemetery at West Point.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 9:38:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Armstrong by H.W. Crocker is historical fiction/satire that has Custer surviving and describes his adventures as he tries to figure out who sold him out to the Indians.  I enjoyed it quite a bit.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 8:00:09 PM EDT
[#10]
There's a good number of top Custer books, including his own "My Life on the Plains", and a book on the Little Big Horn told from the Indian side.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 8:22:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Next time your in the Hardin MT area stop by Custer's battlefield, it will take your breath away when you understand how it all went down.
View Quote
No book suggestions, but this guys gets it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 1:37:49 PM EDT
[#12]
“The Last Stand: Custer, Sitting Bull, and the Battle of the Little Bighorn”
by Nathaniel Philbrick

Stay safe
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 12:16:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Until you can get there, this might serve as a decent primer: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7950A1D9CA754945
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 7:30:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Until you can get there, this might serve as a decent primer: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7950A1D9CA754945
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm late getting into this thread too, but I have to agree with Zardoz's  link to the CusterApollo dude's YouTube vids.

I've read a number of books on Custer and the Little Bighorn fight, but reading a book isn't the same as going out there and looking around and trying to figure out how it actually went down.

CusterApollo sorta does that for you by giving a very educational 'tour' of the battlefield in which, in each separate video, he explains the various sequences of movement, where troop 'skirmish lines' formed up, and at what point the different companies under Custer's command engaged the Indians. It's very good work.

He's made a lot of videos to watch, but if you want to skip some of the earlier ones on Custer's West Point & Civil War background, I'd start with the 'Crow's Nest' video and watch the vids in the remaining order from there.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 10:54:58 PM EDT
[#15]
"Touched By Fire" by Louise Barnett is a fairly good read. It goes into Custer's life with his wife a good deal.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 12:40:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
“The Last Stand: Custer, Sitting Bull, and the Battle of the Little Bighorn”
by Nathaniel Philbrick

Stay safe
View Quote
This, I really liked it too.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 10:10:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Know that a lot of the positive interpretations of GA Custer came about because the ardent support by his wife Libbie. She was definitely his best promoter, both while he was alive and most effectively when he'd been massacred.
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top