Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2018 11:38:18 AM EDT
Hey guys, hopefully the knowledge base of ARFCOM can help with this one.  Have a large number of Civil War history books from my dad's
estate.  I may keep a couple, but not 4 banker boxes full of books.

Some of them are sort of collectible....Older printing of "The Prairie Years" and "The War Years" by Sandburg.....Older printing of a Jefferson
Davis bio....Older printing of "Ordeal of the Union" .....and a whole bunch of misc books from the 80's-90's.

I really don't care about making a bunch of money if they go to someone who will appreciate them. So are there any net resources for locating
people who collect history books?  I'm coming up blank.  
There is a specialty book shop in Chicago, but they haven't gotten back to me.

[ETA] I have absolutely no desire to post a bunch of books on ebay and sell them piece by piece.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 11:51:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Donate toward a PBS auction, if you believe in that sort of thing.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 11:58:35 AM EDT
[#2]
You will get more value out of them by donating them to goodwill for a "fair value" write-off.  Just print off some comps from abebooks.com and retain with your donation (write-off) receipt.

It is a great time to buy for readers and a no-bid market for sellers.  It is what it is.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 12:33:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 1:56:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Check here before giving them away: @4v50

What is your approximate location?
View Quote
SW Chicago 'burbs
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 7:59:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks AeroE.

I'd like to know what other titles are out there.   I already have the same set of Battles and Leaders.  I also have The Collected Works of Abraham Lincoln (vol I-VIII plus index).  I gave away my set of Douglas Southall Freeman about Robert E. Lee.  I still have his three volume set, Lee's Lieutenants and well as P. Longstreet's From Manassas to Appomattox.

The Bruce Catton trilogy I don't have and am interested in them.

What else is out there?  Let me know the titles.  I am particularly interested in accounts by the soldiers and unit histories.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 7:59:17 PM EDT
[#6]
DBL Tap
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 8:01:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Some options are to sell on ebay, or advertise on a gun or history forum's classified area.

Just to get them out of the way, give them to your local library.  Just be sure to tell them what's rare and has value, because they often sell donated books at book fairs.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 11:19:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks AeroE.

I'd like to know what other titles are out there.   I already have the same set of Battles and Leaders.  I also have The Collected Works of Abraham Lincoln (vol I-VIII plus index).  I gave away my set of Douglas Southall Freeman about Robert E. Lee.  I still have his three volume set, Lee's Lieutenants and well as P. Longstreet's From Manassas to Appomattox.

The Bruce Catton trilogy I don't have and am interested in them.

What else is out there?  Let me know the titles.  I am particularly interested in accounts by the soldiers and unit histories.
View Quote
There are a boat load of books, so instead of spending a bunch of time with inventory I'll try to take better pictures and post.  If anything isn't clear in the pictures that you're
interested in let me know and I'll try to post more specific info about that item....
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 11:40:31 AM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 10/30/2018 1:06:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 1:14:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Historical society near some famous civil war sites
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 4:49:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Hi @makintrax73

I'm interested in eight books:

Bruce Catton triology including: The Coming Fury; Terrible Swift Sword; Never Call Retreat
Dowdey & Manarin The Wartime Papers of Robert E. Lee (I have a paperback and it would be nice to replace it with a hardback)
Warren Ripley:  Artillery and Ammunition in the Civil War
Dee Brown's The Galvanized Yankee
Marcus Wright:  Texas in the War 1861-1865
Charles O'Neal: Wild Train

Check you IM

4v50
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 5:02:34 PM EDT
[#13]
@makintrax73

Please consider calling The Bell Research Center, the website sucks but it is a repository of Civil War history and knowledge in Georgia. The place is widely used by historians in the area and is open to the public.

eta: Im tracking the thread for updates as well in case there's anything that catches my eye
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top