Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/8/2021 5:13:11 PM EDT
I’ve been eyeballing the Goodnature CO2 powered traps, but the A18 model isn’t sold/shipped to the US. Their A24 model appears too small to handle squirrel sized pests. The squirrels are chewing thru the siding on moms house to get into the attic to destroy stuff.

Is there an American company producing similar traps? I’ve tried live traps with no success. Thanks for any info provided.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 5:18:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Are the live traps failing, or is the bait failing?
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 5:18:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Have you looked at or tried Havahart traps?

https://www.havahart.com/how-to-trap-squirrels

The reason they want back in is to nest and have more young. Bet my bottom dollar they have been in there for some time, you're just now noticing it. Those damn things can find their way in through the smallest of openings.

Bushy tailed rats.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 5:23:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 5:24:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Find where they are getting in and plug the hole with wire mesh and a proper repair
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 5:25:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are the live traps failing, or is the bait failing?
View Quote

The bait draws them in (peanut butter) no problem. However, they push out of the mesh screen type traps when the trap is sprung.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 5:25:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Use small body grip traps over the entry points.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 5:26:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I briefly had squirrel on my attic. I just placed a metal plate over where they chewed in. Problem solved.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 5:27:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I don’t know how common this practice is. I found out while working in a rather bad area of town. This lady was telling me that she has an issue with squirrels in her attic. She called this local critter removal service. She said the guy showed up with this dog that was half starved to death and planned to leaving it in her attic for several days. To you know, eat the critters.

This was a rough area of town. Very ghetto. If drop you drop your car off at the local mechanic, who is a crack addict, your going to get the duct tape special.
Naturally I suggested calling a company outside of her bubble- someone that would use traps or something- then figure out how to block how they are getting in.

It’s one of those I don’t know what to do so let me call a cop sort of calls. Maybe they will just arrest the squirrels.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 5:27:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Seal up entry points, rat traps can work too, havahart is best. Then drive them far, far away.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 5:27:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Have you looked at or tried Havahart traps?

https://www.havahart.com/how-to-trap-squirrels

The reason they want back in is to nest and have more young. Bet my bottom dollar they have been in there for some time, you're just now noticing it. Those damn things can find their way in through the smallest of openings.

Bushy tailed rats.
View Quote
That's what I use and they can't get out.
Or you could use a conibear trap but don't expect that to kill them.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 5:28:28 PM EDT
[#11]

I’ve done this. Got two, but there’s dozens of these destructive critters. The CO2 powered would hunt them 24/7 when I can’t.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 5:28:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I briefly had squirrel on my attic. I just placed a metal plate over where they chewed in. Problem solved.
View Quote

They will and can make a lot of noise and cause even more destruction as they try to escape.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 5:30:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I’ve done this. Got two, but there’s dozens of these destructive critters. The CO2 powered would hunt them 24/7 when I can’t.
View Quote

Holy shit- that's a HUGE infestation, the most I've had to trap at one time was 5 or so. Still took about a week to get them all.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 5:34:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Years ago it was rats in Grandma's crawlspace.  Old farmhouse out in the country.  Used handheld spot lights through the access hatch and .22s.  

No one was killed (excepts rats all accounted for and removed) and no damage to anything else.

Wouldn't think of doing that these days especially in an attic.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 5:40:06 PM EDT
[#15]
You need a Remington 700
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 5:40:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Seal up entry points, rat traps can work too, havahart is best. Then drive them far, far away.
View Quote

Always across the river. Especially squirrels and racoons
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 5:42:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 5:44:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Then it's time to call in the calvary (professionals).
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 5:45:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
And throw them out the window at high speed.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 5:46:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Holy shit- that's a HUGE infestation, the most I've had to trap at one time was 5 or so. Still took about a week to get them all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd be more inclined to smoke them out somehow (actual smoke?) with that many.  Good lord.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 5:47:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Enter and seal attic.   Destroy them in nude hand to hand combat.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 5:48:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 5:48:59 PM EDT
[#23]
If they're getting out of the non kill trap by squeezing through the wire, wrap it in chicken wire so they can't get out.

If you truly have dozens of the little bastards you should call someone to get rid of them, unless you can spend days on end over there getting rid of them.

It will cost you way more time and money when they chew threw wires and burn her house to the ground.

I'm dealing with this right now, a grey squirrel chewed through the wiring in my shop, but I got lucky and it didn't catch on fire, and I noticed that some of my plugs weren't working and shut off the power to the plugs. Pulled the siding and sure enough right where he was nesting he'd chewed through the wires.

I dropped in a bunch of moth balls, and then put out a non kill trap, but he hasn't been back since I put in the moth balls. So you might give them a try, not sure if they've worked as of yet though, it's only been a couple days.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 5:51:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Enter and seal attic.   Destroy them in nude hand to hand combat.
View Quote

Secure the first two victims together by their tails to wield as nunchaku.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 5:58:24 PM EDT
[#25]
I've heard that a very bright strobe light will drive rodents out of attics very quickly.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 6:07:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I don’t know how common this practice is. I found out while working in a rather bad area of town. This lady was telling me that she has an issue with squirrels in her attic. She called this local critter removal service. She said the guy showed up with this dog that was half starved to death and planned to leaving it in her attic for several days. To you know, eat the critters.

This was a rough area of town. Very ghetto. If drop you drop your car off at the local mechanic, who is a crack addict, your going to get the duct tape special.
Naturally I suggested calling a company outside of her bubble- someone that would use traps or something- then figure out how to block how they are getting in.

It’s one of those I don’t know what to do so let me call a cop sort of calls. Maybe they will just arrest the squirrels.
View Quote

My squirrel dog would find them in an attic in no time. It would also destroy the attic trying to get to them.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 6:10:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Head over to Team, OP

Look for the annual rodent thread. We covered squirrels in it.
Huge thread this year. It's on the first few pages.

I'm up in a ceiling now chasing mice in a huge commercial building in the dark, or I would link.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 6:11:56 PM EDT
[#29]
A C02 rifle and a cam0 suit made to look like pink insulation, along with night vision goggles and you're ready to go.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 6:15:41 PM EDT
[#30]
That would be a cool band name!
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 6:29:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Rat traps and fix the hole.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 6:32:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Havahart small animal trap. Put some peanuts on the bait tray and you will have them gone in a few hours. Relocate them and wallah! Everyone is happy!

Link Posted: 3/8/2021 6:38:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Had that problem years ago. Set T-Rex & cage traps and neither worked. Finally got up there one day with wasp spray and gassed them out. Once I found and fixed the hole they've never been back.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 6:38:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 7:42:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Seeing your join year you need to go talk to the squirrels and reason with them.  Offer suggestions to where they might go.  Be creative and useful.  Maybe build a squirrel house in the back yard with rainbow colors? You have lot's of options.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 8:18:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Victor Rat Traps
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 8:27:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Victor Rat Traps
View Quote

LOL

Link Posted: 3/8/2021 8:34:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Use small body grip traps over the entry points.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/8/2021 8:39:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Zap them!

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 3/8/2021 8:43:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Is it personal this time?

Funny Commercial - Geico - It''s Personal This Time Squirrels
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 8:54:29 PM EDT
[#41]

Now that sombitch is voting democrat
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 9:19:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Don't delay whatever you do.
I saw a squirrel in the rafters in my shed one fall several year ago, just as I was locking it up for the winter.
I looked around and didn't see anything that they could chew and destroy so I said screw it and didn't do anything.
Opened it up in the spring and yes, nothing was destroyed but everything smelled like urine.
Which was disgusting and the reek didn't go away for years....
Fuck squirrels.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 9:34:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 9:42:03 PM EDT
[#44]

AVENGE ME!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 10:06:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

That's edging close to fuckary. If they've been in there a day, cool. Longer is bullshit.
View All Quotes

Thats a few hours worth.

I was skeptical myself but after I set it on my roof with peanuts and peanut butter and I caught three of them within 45 min. Its a one way door that doesnt lock unlike hav-a-heart traps. You can catch a ton of them in a short period
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 10:24:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Thats a few hours worth.

I was skeptical myself but after I set it on my roof with peanuts and peanut butter and I caught three of them within 45 min. Its a one way door that doesnt lock unlike hav-a-heart traps. You can catch a ton of them in a short period
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thats a few hours worth.

I stand corrected. That's pretty cool.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 10:53:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Squirrels in the attic.... man that is nuts!
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 11:01:02 PM EDT
[#49]
I worked at a gas field the other side of the inlet from Anchorage AK.  We supplied NG to Enstar to run the turbines providing electricity to Anchorage.

One squirrel, one measly little tree rat took down the power grid and turned of the lights for close to a million people.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top