Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2017 8:16:27 PM EDT
I need to express the domain of 1/x-4 in interval notation. Now the domain should be all real numbers except for 4, because if you plug 4 in you'll have 0 on the bottom which don't work. I'm completely lost how to write this. Any help is appreciated because this homework is due in 12 hours and 45 minutes.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 8:20:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Actually I figured it out. (-infinity, 4) U (4, infinity).
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 2:54:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Actually I figured it out. (-infinity, 4) U (4, infinity).
View Quote
(-inf, <4)U(>4,+inf)

But it has been a long time.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 6:25:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I think OP is right. If I remember correctly, the parenthesis means not including while a bracket would mean including. so (- infinity, 4]U[4, infinity) would mean all real numbers really.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 1:03:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think OP is right. If I remember correctly, the parenthesis means not including while a bracket would mean including. so (- infinity, 4]U[4, infinity) would mean all real numbers really.
View Quote
If you put 4 inside the brackets with no other notation it is included.
(- infinity, <4]U[>4, infinity)

You would have made 4 included and NOTHING outside.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 1:39:07 PM EDT
[#5]
(- infinity,<4)U(>4,infinity)

Why not this one?
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 2:46:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
(- infinity,<4)U(>4,infinity)

Why not this one?
View Quote
In the domain notation, you don't list symbols, such as < and >.  The notation only includes the endpoints of the domain, and the use of parentheses, (, ), or brackets, [, ], indicate whether the endpoint is part of the domain or not.

Mike
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 2:34:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

In the domain notation, you don't list symbols, such as .  The notation only includes the endpoints of the domain, and the use of parentheses, (, ), or brackets, [, ], indicate whether the endpoint is part of the domain or not.

Mike
View Quote
Spot on Mike.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top