Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2020 4:30:29 PM EDT
Last month I bought my 10 year old son an Xbox one so he could play at my house during the quarantine. A few guys on here stepped up and helped me figure some stuff out. His mom and stepdad bought him Corsair Void RGB Elite Wireless headset to bring to my house. We fucked off two weeks because his stepdad insisted it worked with xbox and it doesn't. My son is also ADHD and has some sensory processing issues and is classified as high functioning autistic at school, so all this shit did was make him even more nuts because it didn't work.

So he went back to his mom's house for two weeks, and I ordered a $24 basic headset specifically for the x-box. It's the Xbox One Chat Headset that plugs into the controller. It took Amazon a week to deliver it and I just let it sit till my son got home yesterday. He plugs it in and it only works during certain kinds of open games of Fortnite. When we plays games with his friends, it doesn't work. I dunno if he doesn't have something setup right or what. I looked at it, I can't tell shit. If it was a PC or an iphone, I'd be all over it, but I don't know anything about xbox.

Anyway, it doesn't work, just more shit that's put him in a mood the last two nights. I spent $400 on this stuff, that ought to buy some tranquility, not more strife.

So I'm like fuck it, I got my tax return today, let's buy a damn wireless headset that works, keep it under $100. BestBuy doesn't have shit in stock near me, Amazon is 8 days out on stuff. Gamestop is closed. I was thinking about ordering from NewEgg or something like that. Who and what do I need?

Link Posted: 4/22/2020 5:00:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got over $700 invested in multiple headsets for the Xbox one

i started with the wired headsets and they all stopped working with each controller one by one. It's like the controllers are defective. Even my elite controller.
In my opinion just skip the wired stuff and spend a few more dollars.

You may be able to pick up the old school Xbox controller headset adapter and use it on the new controller.
However, I opted for buying many wireless headsets in the past 2 years and have evaluated them all and found out that more cash, doesn't always equal most useful.

MY ULTIMATE PICK IS THE TURTLE BEACH STEALTH 700.  

Turtle beach stealth 600 $80 - junk and the speakers were weak.

Turtle beach stealth 700 $120 - not very loud, but loud enough and has great independent sound controls, has great features and is what I game with 95% of the time.  I even bought one for my 8 year old.

Razer Thresher $120 - most comfortable. Great sound. Doesn't have mic monitoring like the stealth 700. i like to hear my own voice so I don't yell while playing. I can also recommend this one.

Astro A50 $199-299 - sound is incredible. However it's not all that comfy on my head and complicated to update and customize sound profiles since you have to hook it up to a PC.

Link Posted: 4/22/2020 5:40:51 PM EDT
[#2]
If its working when he's playing the game and can hear other players, but not working with his friends its could be because he isn't in their party chat or he's got it set to hear game chat instead of party chat.  Or the parental settings are preventing him from having microphone access during party chat.

I'd start there before going out and buying more headsets.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 6:45:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Or the parental settings are preventing him from having microphone access during party chat.
View Quote

I agree, check the parental settings first, if it's that no headset would fix your issue.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 6:55:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Online kids are toxic as hell.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 5:56:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Online kids are toxic as hell.
View Quote

I would agree, but until last month, we didn't have one at my house and I didn't want him outside playing basketball with his friends or out riding bikes in the neighborhood.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 11:16:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Ive gone through many myself. The alienwear aw510h are the ones im using now and theyre great, nice surround sound and clarity. They are wired fyi
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 3:34:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Well so much for that idea.

I ordered a Razer Thresher through Newegg on April 24. They still haven't shipped. Canceled the order last night.

Back on the hunt.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 5:23:41 PM EDT
[#8]
If steel series makes a headset for Xbox, that would be my first look. I have an Arctis 7 and it’s been the best set of headsets I’ve owned. Excellent sound, great features (on PC at least) and excellent mic once setup correctly. Very comfortable and priced just right. There is no way I would ever own another headset with out the game sound voice/sound mixer now.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 12:28:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Xerith:
If steel series makes a headset for Xbox, that would be my first look. I have an Arctis 7 and it’s been the best set of headsets I’ve owned. Excellent sound, great features (on PC at least) and excellent mic once setup correctly. Very comfortable and priced just right. There is no way I would ever own another headset with out the game sound voice/sound mixer now.
View Quote

I agree on the steel series.. I have the arctis wireless pro's for my ps4 and they are heaven. I have had numerous headsets and these are my final stop. For PS4 atleast. Xbox is another story. They use some type of proprietary shit so ps4 and pc headsets will not work. I have had great luck with the Turtle beach 600 and 700. The 700's are more pricey but come with more comfortable ear cups and added bluetooth capability (not that your son would need this) but they are more comfortable and sound a tiny bit better than the 600's
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 12:58:07 PM EDT
[#10]
nm on the alienwear ones they now have an annoying echo to others in chat.

Just bought SteelSeries arctis 1 wireless xbox ones
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 11:16:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Whatever you decide, make sure it has Mic monitoring.  This allows you to hear yourself in the headset.  Without it kids tend to yell when talking..  Just say'n
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top