Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/25/2018 9:33:44 AM EDT
Pretty cool video of a rescue of some hikers during the fires in California.

California wildfire helicopter rescue
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 9:51:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 5:56:57 PM EDT
[#2]
That first landing attempt was screwed up in so many ways. They are lucky to be alive. The second on the ridge was the exact opposite, nearly routine.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 7:15:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That first landing attempt was screwed up in so many ways. They are lucky to be alive. The second on the ridge was the exact opposite, nearly routine.
View Quote
Man, my spider sense was more than tingling on that first attempt, that looked Way too tight for comfort from a fixed wing perspective. Having said that, those guys did some genuine Good Guy shit right there. Saving lives in a legit emergency.

This whole thing has kind of revitalized my interest in helos and what it might cost to get a license. It looks to be a very practical skill
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 8:08:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
That was hairy for sure, I don't think I would have split those towers like that.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 8:47:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Fantastic pilots. good job guys.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 8:29:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Brass ones- that copter crew has them.

I wonder if the HAC/PIC had Vietnam experience?
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 8:30:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Double tap
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 2:12:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Between the towers is gutsy for sure.  Would not have been my first choice!

The ridgeline landing looked a lot safer, although passenger loading might have been tougher.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 7:45:48 AM EDT
[#9]
I ain't no Helicopter Super Pilot, and I'll never fly a helicopter as nice as that one, but I do fly 'em, and a helicopter is a helicopter. There are fine lines between heroic, stupid and routine. The first approach was bordering on, if not over, the stupid line. The second was nearly routine. It's hard to know for sure, but none of it looked heroic. But there is no doubt those people and their dogs were in serious trouble and damn lucky they got picked up like that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top