Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2019 6:34:25 PM EDT
There was a weight loss thread a while back in GD where someone chimed in with the fact that heavy squats can boost fat burn.

The poster went into minor detail on how he worked with the military on some specific program involving heavy squats.

Anyone recall the thread or poster?
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 7:38:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I don’t specifically remember fat burning, but I know RoG has mentioned squats in the context of military fitness more than once.
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 10:18:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Assuming your diets is in order, lifting of most any sort promotes fat burning.  The higher the intensity the greater the effect.
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 5:18:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Eating less than you need is what promotes fat burn overall.

Plenty of fat guys that squat heavy.
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 6:41:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Eating less than you need is what promotes fat burn overall.

Plenty of fat guys that squat heavy.
View Quote
Eating less and doing more*

Op - exercise burns calories.  Burn more than you eat and fat leaves.

I know you're probably new to this so i don't want to be mean.  Fitness is full of bullshit. This forum is full of bullshit.

People searching for and attributing progress to EXCRUCIATING minutiae. People go the gym every week for 13 years and eat bro but attribute their gains to fad fasting and pinky position during side delt raises. Gtfo with that.

Eat right,  do cardio,  lift hard with focus on goals.  There is no magic bullet. Drugs might be but you still have to work, they just magnify results.
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 10:01:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I dropped 99.5 pounds doing no squats over 16 months. Started doing squats and powerlifting after that big weight loss, now 18 months of lifting and I'm up 48 pounds.
Maybe squats have nothing to do with fat loss or maybe they just help you put on some muscle mass.
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 6:43:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Totally understand that diet and caloric deficit are the main contributors to weight loss.  I'm not searching for some metaphorical pill, but the poster I saw attempted to explain that working the large muscle groups somehow contributed to a boost in the bodies metabolic response

Truthfully, I'm less worried with what the scale says and more interested in what the mirror and tape say. Currently 5'11 and steady at 195.  I used to lift until a back injury but me on the IR. Got a little soft over the past 2 yrs.

My main goal is shedding the jiggle that has accumulated around the mid section.  My body has always responded rapidly to fitness; was just researching if there was an exercise that I could include daily to jumpstart my metabolism.

Avoiding sugar and processed carbohydrates is the easy part. Already doing that in my normal diet no problem. Evening beers on the other hand ... lol
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 7:56:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Heavy full body lifts like squats do show an increased hormonal response when compared to isolation exercises and machines. I think that part is measurable and real, but there seems to be a lot of argument about what the net effect of it is.

I don't think people give enough credit to heavy lifts when it comes to calories burned. Maybe not even the calories burned during, but the increased insulin sensitivity over the next day or so. I have to consume about 50-100g of carbs to get through a workout and not end up with lower BG than before, then I have to reduce my basal insulin dose for the next day as well or I'll end up getting caught off guard with lows.
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 9:06:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Totally understand that diet and caloric deficit are the main contributors to weight loss.  I'm not searching for some metaphorical pill, but the poster I saw attempted to explain that working the large muscle groups somehow contributed to a boost in the bodies metabolic response

Truthfully, I'm less worried with what the scale says and more interested in what the mirror and tape say. Currently 5'11 and steady at 195.  I used to lift until a back injury but me on the IR. Got a little soft over the past 2 yrs.

My main goal is shedding the jiggle that has accumulated around the mid section.  My body has always responded rapidly to fitness; was just researching if there was an exercise that I could include daily to jumpstart my metabolism.

Avoiding sugar and processed carbohydrates is the easy part. Already doing that in my normal diet no problem. Evening beers on the other hand ... lol
View Quote
I thought it was something to do with recovery burning more calories, even after the lifting session for the next day or two. I know I'm hungry as hell after heavy lifting.

Heres the point, it doesn't matter if you know the reason why, but squats are good for you and  you should do them.
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 10:16:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Heavy compound lifts will increase lean muscle mass and help you to maintain muscle mass while losing weight.

https://www.verywellfit.com/how-many-calories-does-muscle-really-burn-1231074
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 3:40:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I dropped 99.5 pounds doing no squats over 16 months. Started doing squats and powerlifting after that big weight loss, now 18 months of lifting and I'm up 48 pounds.
Maybe squats have nothing to do with fat loss or maybe they just help you put on some muscle mass.
View Quote
You couldn't cut that extra half pound?

I basically did the same thing lol, cut 100lb using keto, cardio, and bro-type lifting, then added back on 30lb through powerlifting.
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 2:09:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Wouldn't surprise me - heavy squats feel like the hardest thing I do.  End of each set I am sucking air, sweating, heart pounding.  No other lift feels quite like that at least for me.  Not even deadlifts.

I squat 3 days a week when I'm cutting and I think it helps.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top