Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 2/3/2019 1:54:54 PM EDT
LOL maybe these folks should have thought about income and job prospects before taking on "Heavy Student Loans". Not going to hot link NPR and followed this snowflake article from Reddit.

"Christina Ward finished her schooling, but her chosen profession in social work doesn't pay enough for her to overcome her student debt. "
https://www.npr.org/2019/02/01/689660957/heavy-student-loan-debt-forces-many-millennials-to-delay-buying-homes
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 1:56:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, my car loan delayed my first house purchase. Then I paid it off and bought a house.

I think the gubment should pay off car loans.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 1:56:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm too scared to see how much debt she took on to become a social worker.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 1:57:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Why though?

Get a mortgage. Get that car loan. Zero down.

Finance your furniture.

If it works for the boomers, it will work for you.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 1:57:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well, my car loan delayed my first house purchase. Then I paid it off and bought a house.

I think the gubment should pay off car loans.
View Quote
While we are at it I want my houses paid off.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 1:58:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I have several student loans, 2 car loans, and really shitty credit and none of that stopped me from being able to get a mortgage
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 2:00:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Likely over 6 figures, the ones crying the loudest are the ones that went stupid with loans. I recently read only 12% of the population has student loans and the average is under 40K, this means there are some outliers that took out stupid amounts that are skewing the charts that these snowflakes and new sources are feeding off from.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 2:00:49 PM EDT
[#7]
To be fair, its not just that these people are dumb; they've been indoctrinated, brainwashed and misled. Our entire educational system from pre-k to grad level college indoctrinates youths to become mindless drones. By the time they graduate with an undergrad degree from college, they've been exposed to the system for 75% of their lives. What chance do they have if they're not lucky enough to have grounded parents?
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 2:02:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Sure, it was a great idea to spend 150 000$ on a degree.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 2:02:43 PM EDT
[#9]
This isn’t something new....people used to focus on paying off school.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 2:03:12 PM EDT
[#10]
President Sanders/Harris/Warren will forgive their debts.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 2:03:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Fun fact: While borrowers do not need to make payments while in school, the interest on their loan still keeps accumulating during the same period of time.

Sadly, when I was in school, many of my peers were surprised to hear about the interest schedule.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 2:03:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
And I just paid mine off.  

Link Posted: 2/3/2019 2:04:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
To be fair, its not just that these people are dumb; they've been indoctrinated, brainwashed and misled. Our entire educational system from pre-k to grad level college indoctrinates youths to become mindless drones. By the time they graduate with an undergrad degree from college, they've been exposed to the system for 75% of their lives. What chance do they have if they're not lucky enough to have grounded parents?
View Quote
Derp. It''s amazing that many "kids" don't go thousands in debt in for useless degrees. Only 12% of the US population has any student debt and may that do have minimal.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 2:06:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
This isn't something new....people used to focus on paying off school.
View Quote
Oddly adults seem to put student debt on the back burner and say fuck it, it's like it's different than other forms of debt and for some reason they are entitled to not pay it. There are folks out with the mentality of it I don't get a good job with my degree I just won't pay it back
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 2:06:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
I don't really think so.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 2:07:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Likely over 6 figures, the ones crying the loudest are the ones that went stupid with loans. I recently read only 12% of the population has student loans and the average is under 40K, this means there are some outliers that took out stupid amounts that are skewing the charts that these snowflakes and new sources are feeding off from.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I ran up $20,000 of debt for my 4-year degree.  I was able to pay it off in 2-3 years working an entry-level job.

It takes time.  If you expected to graduate and be able to afford a nice house right out of school, travel vacations, a new car, etc. you need to learn to manage your expectations.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 2:07:04 PM EDT
[#17]
What choices do they have?

You go to a community college, get basics, and still have to go university to finish out.

This costs money. They have no marketable skills to earn money, so loans is the only option given the costs. Not everyone can do trades, not everyone can go to military to get GI Bill, manufacturing entry level jobs require moving to big cities and they are subject to layoffs.

Does this mean I should subsidize their poor choices if they decided to go to Harvard, not work through school, and incur a $300,000 debt to get a job that makes 45k? No.

What I want to happen is get rid of Federal loans that give schools a baseline to spend on stupid bullshit, allow true market competition by reforming accreditation council processes that prevents new schools to open that are more efficient to bring down costs and meet market demands again to bring down costs, and also tell companies to open their own schools with on the job training that can translate to portability with contract obligations once completed. Then there is the college degree itself. It needs to be streamlined and many classes are useless costs that colleges arbitrarily determine as necessary with other colleges.

The higher education racket needs an enema. There are a host of problems with the current system that ain't didn't cover and the main problem is government interference.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 2:07:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Yeah, probably doesn't have anything to do with the fact that the housing market is out of control either...
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 2:07:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Generic college tuition increase graph

It's fun to hate on young people who make choices as directed by people who are supposed to watch out for their best interests but for 2019 I've taken to directing that hate towards the colleges themselves.

I started undergrad in 2003 and by the time I graduated in 2008 my tuition had increased by 58% per credit hour. The modern university is a massive jobs program for the socially/politically connected low-iq peon. Most faculty is converting to "administrators" who do little and are serving as individual cogs in a massive wealth-transfer machine.

University of Michigan has several hundred "diversity officers" on staff, most other universities are similar. It's a huge waste of resources.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 2:07:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
Our loans should be paid off in December.  Here is an idea, instead of sitting around crying about a loan you knowingly took out, fully aware of your obligations, go out and get jobs, work a lot of overtime whenever it is available and make extra payments on the loan and voila - eventually they get paid off. Frikken imagine that.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 2:07:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
Care to provide the source?
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 2:08:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 2:09:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Ward racked up nearly $200,000 in loans for college and graduate school.
 FUCK ME! Literally 10x more than I racked up, for a job where you make maybe $60,000 tops?
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 2:09:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
What choices do they have?

You go to a community college, get basics, and still have to go university to finish out.

This costs money. They have no marketable skills to earn money, so loans is the only option given the costs. Not everyone can do trades, not everyone can go to military to get GI Bill, manufacturing entry level jobs require moving to big cities and they are subject to layoffs.

Does this mean I should subsidize their poor choices if they decided to go to Harvard, not work through school, and incur a $300,000 debt to get a job that makes 45k? No.

What I want to happen is get rid of Federal loans that give schools a baseline to spend on stupid bullshit, allow true market competition by reforming accreditation council processes that prevents new schools to open that are more efficient to bring down costs and meet market demands again to bring down costs, and also tell companies to open their own schools with on the job training that can translate to portability with contract obligations once completed. Then there is the college degree itself. It needs to be streamlined and many classes are useless costs that colleges arbitrarily determine as necessary with other colleges.

The higher education racket needs an enema. There are a host of problems with the current system that ain't didn't cover and the main problem is government interference.
View Quote
Or just maybe if everyone would quit going the issue would fix itself, but I know personal responsibility is hard.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 2:09:20 PM EDT
[#25]
The real problem here is that we were sold a bill of goods from our parents and guidance counselors. For me it was the same drum-beat over and over again. Get a college degree and you will guarantee income for your and your family.

Unfortunately, I graduated high school when the price of college was inflated, and interest rates were high.

Ultimately, I wish I had never gone. But the loan companies aren't the ones who tricked me. Neither is the college. It was my parents and my high school that drilled it into my head that college was not just a necessity, but a guarantee of financial success.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 2:09:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

https://www.mymoneyblog.com/images/1007/tuition.gif

It's fun to hate on young people who make choices as directed by people who are supposed to watch out for their best interests but for 2019 I've taken to directing that hate towards the colleges themselves.

I started undergrad in 2003 and by the time I graduated in 2008 my tuition had increased by 58% per credit hour. The modern university is a massive jobs program for the socially/politically connected low-iq peon. Most faculty is converting to "administrators" who do little and are serving as individual cogs in a massive wealth-transfer machine.

University of Michigan has several hundred "diversity officers" on staff, most other universities are similar. It's a huge waste of resources.
View Quote
Yet people still attend
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 2:11:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Yet people still attend
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yet people still attend
Because they grew up with every adult in their family and every adult in their school telling them they had to go to college to get a good job or else they'd be mopping up glory holes on the weekend.

Quoted:
The real problem here is that we were sold a bill of goods from our parents and guidance counselors. For me it was the same drum-beat over and over again. Get a college degree and you will guarantee income for your and your family.

Unfortunately, I graduated high school when the price of college was inflated, and interest rates were high.

Ultimately, I wish I had never gone. But the loan companies aren't the ones who tricked me. Neither is the college. It was my parents and my high school that drilled it into my head that college was not just a necessity, but a guarantee of financial success.
Almost all of this times infinity plus one.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 2:12:03 PM EDT
[#28]
I used to have thousands in student debt. Went to work and paid it off.

Other millennials can do it too.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 2:12:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
It works for the boomers, it will work for you.
View Quote
That advice is why they got dumb, expensive degrees in the first place.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 2:13:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Whenever I hear complaints a out student loans, I always wonder how much of it was for school, and how much was vacations, fancy toys, eating out all the time, etc.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 2:14:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
LOL maybe these folks should have thought about income and job prospects before taking on "Heavy Student Loans". Not going to hot link NPR and followed this snowflake article from Reddit.

"Christina Ward finished her schooling, but her chosen profession in social work doesn't pay enough for her to overcome her student debt. "
https://www.npr.org/2019/02/01/689660957/heavy-student-loan-debt-forces-many-millennials-to-delay-buying-homes
View Quote
I definitely blame the schools just as much as the kids.  Kids are dumb.  When their high school counselor/parents are relentlessly saying the only way to get ahead is go to college, they tend to listen.  It's a bad trend and most schools definitely don't give proper advice on how to properly choose/budget for school if someone does attend.  I saw plenty of this when I was in college.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 2:14:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Whenever I hear complaints a out student loans, I always wonder how much of it was for school, and how much was vacations, fancy toys, eating out all the time, etc.
View Quote
Tech, the retards spend it all on tech now and wonder why they’re broke...
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 2:15:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here is just a quick one I found at the moment. The US population with student loans is 44 million which means that the US population with no student loans would be 281 million. Around 13% of the population with and around 87% without. 87% in true arf fashion

The one I have saved shows only 12% and I will try to find it.

https://www.valuepenguin.com/average-student-loan-debt
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 2:15:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
That chart is one of the reasons I won't participate in one of the pre-pay programs for my kids tuition.  Give it some more time and it should turn down towards the CPI line.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 2:17:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
And 10 minutes on Google was to hard to see which majors are useful and which colleges are cheap. Also, maybe to even see if college was the right choice for you?
One thing similar to your post as I see in these news stories in the lack of mentioning "me" when it comes to the blame.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 2:17:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Why though?

Finance your furniture.

View Quote
Damn you are so full of shit.

Beater paid for vehicle, 12% home loan with 1/3rd down, hand-me-down furniture. Home-owner at barely 22.

Yeah, good times.

It's all good now though because I took the hits when young.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 2:18:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I definitely blame the schools just as much as the kids.  Kids are dumb.  When their high school counselor/parents are relentlessly saying the only way to get ahead is go to college, they tend to listen.  It's a bad trend and most schools definitely don't give proper advice on how to properly choose/budget for school if someone does attend.  I saw plenty of this when I was in college.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you also blame fast food for obesity?
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 2:19:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Little Pony is using his automotive degree, but I am not even using mine as I could not find work right out of college like many others. I did not just sit in a corner and cry like a little baby. I went out and learned a trade. And in the job I got that was mostly useless too in my current job I actually do some of basically everything. (HVAC/Electrical/Plumbing/Carpentry/Painting/Electronics repair/Some Biomed first call work - basically anything you can imagine in a hospital setting that breaks I am the one who responds first to fix it. And I mean ANYTHING) I still do not regret my degree as it was an accomplishment to me (a very expensive one at that) but no regerts. And later down the road I guess I could become a day-walking tie-wearer boss as much as the thought of it turns me off, but my degree does open that road for me still.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 2:19:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I ran up $20,000 of debt for my 4-year degree.  I was able to pay it off in 2-3 years working an entry-level job.

It takes time.  If you expected to graduate and be able to afford a nice house right out of school, travel vacations, a new car, etc. you need to learn to manage your expectations.
View Quote
No, no. They deserve all of that. That's why the .gov should pay off their debts and give them free stuff.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 2:19:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
That chart is one of the reasons I won't participate in one of the pre-pay programs for my kids tuition.  Give it some more time and it should turn down towards the CPI line.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mines going to CC if they choose and they can always go back later in life if they choose.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 2:20:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Yeah, probably doesn't have anything to do with the fact that the housing market is out of control either...
View Quote
This too.

But it doesn't fit the arfcom tradition of shitting on "millenialz" for overpaying for dumb degrees.

We can have it all, just need to throw in some public employee union and unsustainable pension bashing to get this thread lit!
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 2:20:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm surprised someone hasn't sued their school for providing them this terrible advice. That's one way to get the huge loan you took out to pay for your terrible degree paid off.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 2:21:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Beater paid for vehicle, 12% home loan with 1/3rd down, hand-me-down furniture. Home-owner at barely 22.

Yeah, good times.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why though?

Finance your furniture.

Yeah, good times.

I call it the "blame game", younger folks always do this.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 2:22:24 PM EDT
[#44]
The people I see screaming the loudest about this in these articles are the ones that get a degree cost to career salary ratio that is way out of proportion. HAY GUYS I GOT A PHD PSYCHOLOGY FROM VANDERBILT AND NOW I'M WORKING AS A COUNTY SOCIAL WORKER IN THE RURAL SOUTH MAKING $24,000 A YEAR! THE WORLD IS UNFAIR!

I very rarely hear people with STEM degrees that are in this boat. Then again if you can get a STEM degree you can probably propel the logic train in your head far enough down the tracks to figure out how much degree you need to get into the workforce and then try to get your employer to help with some/all the rest of the way if you need/want advanced degrees.

Then again its not 100% the kids fault all the time. Our education system, since at least the 1990's, has been geared toward making people think they need college degrees while shunning technical trades that can provide people for more than adequate career fields that could also be springboards to better degrees.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 2:24:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
This too.

But it doesn't fit the arfcom tradition of shitting on "millenialz" for overpaying for dumb degrees.

We can have it all, just need to throw in some public employee union and unsustainable pension bashing to get this thread lit!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This too.

LOL and now we a have a pension bashing thread from a snowflake college debt thread. I love GD
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 2:24:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I'm surprised someone hasn't sued their school for providing them this terrible advice. That's one way to get the huge loan you took out to pay for your terrible degree paid off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Consumer beware.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 2:26:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Yeah, good times.

View Quote
This was exactly how we are doing it. Used car, leased a small new one as the payments were really low. Got a small 700 sq ft. house with low payments and 6.25% fixed and I put 20% down on that. We go to eat once a week - typically Friday as a date night. If we buy a gun we trade a gun basically. We both pick up overtime anytime it is available. You can survive and pay off your debts if you are willing to work today. You just can't be a lazy fucker and go out and blow your money on some new "thing" you do not really need all the fracking time.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 2:27:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Meh.

I got student loans.

I didn't finish college.

I was a water ski instructor at a summer camp, when they wanted to start getting their money.    That wasn't happening.  I complained about the "crushing debt" of mine too.... because I was lazy, and wanted to be a bum and just do what I wanted to do.

Then I started to grow up, got a job, and paid mine off when I was making $40k a year or less (often much less).  I just decided I needed to sacrifice, and get it done.

Now I realize, even $100k in school loan debt aint a big deal.  You don't even need huge income to knock that out in less than 10 years.  You just need to make it happen.... and not work in underwater basket weaving.  The problem is people won't sacrifice.  They still finance nice vehicles, live in nicer apartments, take vacations, eat out.... because the world justifies their actions as "everyone else is doing that"... and that is "normal".  I know someone doing this now.... over 40 and still paying off student loans from almost 20 years ago, simple because the minimum payment is how she did her budget all these years.

In my field, I see signing bonuses for $120k all the time for kids right out of school.  If you are good at software development, you can be pulling home $200k-$350k a year in short order.  If you want to be a social worker, plan accordingly.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 2:28:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Sweet another “GD hates on education” thread
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 2:30:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Some numbers: there is $1.5 trillion in student debt. 44 million people owe that debt. To greatly simplify,13% of America owes $34,000 each. Yes,there are those who owe $100,000 for a degree in  intersectional feminist studies and some doctors with steep tabs but most do not owe anything nearly that much and are making their payments. Those who scream the most about this are those with buyer's remorse who didn't think adulting would be,like,so totally hard but that does not make them typical.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Top Top