Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/9/2024 5:26:30 AM EDT
Flying the family to a resort destination in a couple months and need to rent cars while we’re there. I don’t want to get stuck with a Kia or some bullshit for a week. Looking on Turo and I can rent a 2021 Range Rover for about the same daily rate as what Hertz and Enterprise charge for a “midsize SUV.”

Anyone ever use Turo? Experiences?
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 5:37:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By triburst1:
Flying the family to a resort destination in a couple months and need to rent cars while we’re there. I don’t want to get stuck with a Kia or some bullshit for a week. Looking on Turo and I can rent a 2021 Range Rover for about the same daily rate as what Hertz and Enterprise charge for a “midsize SUV.”

View Quote

My daughter has used it quite a bit. IIRC there was one time that the guy renting the car failed to deliver but generally she's been happy with it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 5:44:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Tony44] [#2]
I've used it about half a dozen times and have had great experiences. I enjoy driving different cars and you can't beat it for selection. Done teslas, mustangs, and daily driver types when I didn't need anything special.

App works good and it's nice to just pull up to someone's house or neighborhood and use app unlock if the car is so equipped. Teslas were nice with that feature as I picked up and dropped off without ever seeing a person. Even a late model Mustang 5.0 had that feature.

Just be meticulous about pictures uploaded at pick up and drop off to avoid any problems after the fact. Every host has been super cool with me as well.

Turo offers supplemental car insurance along the lines and price that the big companies offer. I always decline the coverage as my auto insurance company (state farm) says I'm covered with Turo rentals. I saved that email from them though.

Overall it's been 10/10 for me.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 6:03:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I'll start off saying that your chances of having a regular experience are probably higher than something going wrong. BUT:

I used Turo a while ago (this was my second time using it). Booked the car, picked it up, used it a couple of days and then returned it back without any issues. Followed all instructions from the guy (filled it up before returning etc.).

About a day or two after returning I received a 5 star review (I think it was a feedback rating where 5/5 stars was the max and then you left comments). He left the usual "Great renter! Highly recommended!" good feedback review and that was it.

Fast forward 3 months, and I got an angry message from the guy on Turo accusing me of putting gas in his diesel car (the car was a diesel). There was some back and forth between me and him, but I argued that I didn't put gas in his diesel car. He made a claim through Turo, and they did an "investigation". After a week or so, they concluded that I totaled his car and I was liable.

I was about to take it to court, but it was around the time I was about to ship out to military and I didn't want anything interfering (wasn't sure how long this legal battle would take). My insurance covered it, but that was enough for me to swear off Turo. From that day I made it my mission to let people know about my experience.

I'm not saying you're going to get F'd if you use it. I know plenty of people that used it after me without issue. I just want to let you know that if something does happen to the vehicle, regardless of how ridiculous, you will pay for it.

Unfortunately in my case, even pictures and a receipt from the gas station where I filled up with diesel weren't enough proof that I didn't total this guy's car. Not to mention the fact it was 3 months after I returned the car and he left a positive review.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 6:14:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By waddlingweezol:

Unfortunately in my case, even pictures and a receipt from the gas station where I filled up with diesel weren't enough proof that I didn't total this guy's car. Not to mention the fact it was 3 months after I returned the car and he left a positive review.
View Quote

That’s insane. How could your insurance company even not want to take it to court despite that evidence?

3 months later too??
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 6:34:16 AM EDT
[#5]
I’ve looked into it but every time I go to check out all the fees and crap they add on to the $1xx dollar a day make it cheaper to go to a regular rental. Even got a mustang convertible last time.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 6:35:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By ajclune:
I’ve looked into it but every time I go to check out all the fees and crap they add on to the $1xx dollar a day make it cheaper to go to a regular rental. Even got a mustang convertible last time.
View Quote

I’m not really concerned with the cost, I just want a nicer vehicle.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 6:36:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Many times. Never a problem. I’ve even used it locally to have an extended test drive of a car I was interested in.

Business trips are great. Coworkers driving boring rental cars. Me in a BMW convertible.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 6:40:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By mjohn3006:
Many times. Never a problem. I’ve even used it locally to have an extended test drive of a car I was interested in.

Business trips are great. Coworkers driving boring rental cars. Me in a BMW convertible.
View Quote

Yeah, I’m also looking at a 2017 911 turbo for a couple days while I’m there.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:03:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Just once. Got a Jeep in Hawaii. Great experience. Worked out perfectly.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:28:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: waddlingweezol] [#10]
I can’t remember the exact details of the conversation now. I remember I spoke with a friend who was an attorney.

It mainly came down to the fact I was about to be going to MEPS after a really long back and forth with Army recruiters over something in my medical records. I had been waiting a year at that point for a phone call saying I was good.

By then I just said F it I’ll pay the deductible, get the BS behind me vs chancing something getting in the way at MEPS (I didn’t want to risk something popping up that I was in a legal dispute that would prevent me from enlisting.)

ETA this is in response to @JJ_Jr
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:47:23 AM EDT
[#11]
We used Turo once in Orlando.  It was a little more convenient than having to go through the rental car counter, but in the end it didn’t save any money on a high end minivan.  Would use again.  

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:32:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Used it a couple years ago for a BMW 440i while on vacation.  Worked out very well, guy had quite a bit of money and didn’t give a shit about the miles.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:56:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JaredC1] [#13]
Yes I’ve used it twice. Both times were easy and smooth transactions.

One thing to note, credit cards don’t cover Turo as rental cars so make sure your insurance does or get Turos insurance.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:00:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Yes, good experience.

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:00:11 AM EDT
[#15]
I've used it twice with no issues at all.  Make sure you take pictures of every part of the car, as the app requests you to do when picking up and dropping off, especially the odometer.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:05:34 AM EDT
[#16]
3 times, was great each time. If you are putting LOTS of miles on it just be sure to bounce it off the owner before hand. I put 1200 miles on in 10 days when i rented one time and guy was totally ok with it. It was his "ski car" a subaru legacy with a roof rack, and in summers he woudl rent it out and drive his mustang. was a 2019 (in 2022), and i paid 34 a day plus gas. pick up was "go out of airport and go to long term parkinglevel 3, when you get there text me, ill unlock using my app, and the keys are under the passenger floormat" . was totally easy.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:09:14 AM EDT
[#17]

View Quote

Yep, a half dozen or so times.  The app and service is fine.  The variability lies in who you rent with.  Choose someone with a history of good transactions and you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:09:24 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a couple of times and its been great. I skip the rental counter at the airport and have the car delivered to the house/hotel I stay at if thats an option.  Never had any issues.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:17:25 AM EDT
[#19]
I used it once and it went fine.  Maybe it’s just me but I didn’t enjoy the feeling of driving around in someone’s personal vehicle.  To me it was extra stress with not wanting to see the car damaged or stolen versus dealing with some faceless mega corporation with thousands of cars.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:17:39 AM EDT
[#20]
I've only used it once, and had a bad experience do the flakiness and misrepresentation of the owner.

I arranged, 6 months ahead of time, to have a Jeep for pickup in East Glacier Park, MT.  The owner repeatedly confirmed (at least 3 times) she could have the car available for pickup there.  We were coming in on the Empire Builder train and would be stuck with no transportation if she didn't come through.

One day before pickup, she tells me she made a mistake and could not deliver the Jeep to East Glacier.  The only place she would leave in the Jeep was in Whitefish, on the west side of Glacier National Park-  an hour and a half away by car.

I was stuck so I had to buy a train ticket from East Glacier to Whitefish, pickup the Jeep, and drive back to East Glacier at night in the rain.  

It sucked but I didn't let it ruin my vacation.

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:46:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dyezak] [#21]
Originally Posted By dyezak:

Yep, a half dozen or so times.  The app and service is fine.  The variability lies in who you rent with. Choose someone with a history of good transactions and you'll be fine.
View Quote

Originally Posted By YGBSM:
I've only used it once, and had a bad experience do the flakiness and misrepresentation of the owner.

I arranged, 6 months ahead of time, to have a Jeep for pickup in East Glacier Park, MT.  The owner repeatedly confirmed (at least 3 times) she could have the car available for pickup there.  We were coming in on the Empire Builder train and would be stuck with no transportation if she didn't come through.

One day before pickup, she tells me she made a mistake and could not deliver the Jeep to East Glacier.  The only place she would leave in the Jeep was in Whitefish, on the west side of Glacier National Park-  an hour and a half away by car.

I was stuck so I had to buy a train ticket from East Glacier to Whitefish, pickup the Jeep, and drive back to East Glacier at night in the rain.  

View Quote

OP - just make sure you choose a well reviewed owner.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:54:08 AM EDT
[#22]
I’ve used it for months after Hurricane Ian I lost 2 cars. It worked great.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:01:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By dyezak:

OP - just make sure you choose a well reviewed owner.
View Quote

That's the problem, the lady I rented from had perfect reviews.  No reason to suspect she would flake out.  It's just a crapshoot sometimes.  YMMV
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:09:15 AM EDT
[#24]
I agree on checking out the owner.  If anything feels off, don't rent from the person.  Take pictures of EVERYTHING on the car.  Keep them for at least 3 months in case you get someone like mentioned above who comes at you later.  You don't want to be on the hook for a  scratch the owner puts on the car and tries to claim you did.  I still have pictures of the car I rented a couple years ago.  I just haven't got around to deleting them.  My one experience with Turo was good.  I've seen many stories from owners and renters of bad experiences.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:25:41 AM EDT
[#25]
I've used it once to rent a BMW M3 when my wife and I went to Keywest for our 10yr wedding anniversary.  It went nice and smooth, and the car was a blast!!

Would definitely use them again.......just keep an eye on the reviews.

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:34:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Used it several times. Super easy and way more convenient than rental cars. You can do all the admin and paperwork ahead of time.

That said, I have a Turo rental in Maui later this month that just cancelled… so I need to find a new car. First time I’ve had a glitch.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:37:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Don't do it
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:21:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By YGBSM:

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:21:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Banditman:
Don't do it
View Quote

So helpful…
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:33:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Banditman] [#30]

So helpful…
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Banditman:
Don't do it

So helpful…

I have ALS and it is work to even type. I was an insurance for 23 years and saw horrible stuff that company
did. A lot of insurance companies will not cover them.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:34:10 PM EDT
[#31]
I use it a lot.

Just pick the people that have good reviews and you’ll be fine. It tends to be cheaper than a rental care company and my insurance has an add on to cover them like a rental.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:39:08 PM EDT
[#32]
My experience was pretty good the one time I used it.  The process was fine, but the car was brought to me pretty dirty on the outside.  The owner said if I ran it through the wash he would reimburse me.  Not exactly professional, but it wasn’t a big deal.   I would use the service again if the need was there
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:42:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Square66:
I used it once and it went fine.  Maybe it’s just me but I didn’t enjoy the feeling of driving around in someone’s personal vehicle.  To me it was extra stress with not wanting to see the car damaged or stolen versus dealing with some faceless mega corporation with thousands of cars.
View Quote

I had this same issue. I was very very worried about the car the whole time.

Where in a regular rental I’m not at all worried.

Not sure why. Turo, like Air BnB, is not my first choice. I used Turo during the rental car apocalypse during Covid when I had no other choice. I’d always rather just get a rental car from the majors.

But I’ve never had a bad experience with Turo at all
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 2:47:57 PM EDT
[#34]
A couple times for renting a large vehicle for an out of town family trip.

Excellent experience both times.

If I had the money laying around, I’d use it all the time for renting fun vehicles and riding around with my two boys.
Top Top