Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 4/3/2022 5:37:41 PM EDT
Since the Javelin Missile has been so deadly with a 93% reported success rate.  Does this make tanks obsolete moving forward?  Ukraine didn’t have many tanks and due to this missile, has given them a huge edge.  Javelins appear to be plentiful and cheap compared to outfitting your army with tanks.  

I wouldn’t want to be in a tank facing an adversary that has tons of javelins.   The sheer amount of Russian tanks destroyed is amazing.  Their tanks don’t seem to be an advantage and they are huge magnets.

Am I wrong?

Link Posted: 4/3/2022 5:37:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Since the Javelin Missile has been so deadly with a 93% reported success rate.  Does this make tanks obsolete moving forward?  Ukraine didn’t have many tanks and due to this missile, has given them a huge edge.  Javelins appear to be plentiful and cheap compared to outfitting your army with tanks.  

I wouldn’t want to be in a tank facing an adversary that has tons of javelins.   The sheer amount of Russian tanks destroyed is amazing.  Their tanks don’t seem to an advantage and they are huge magnets.

Am I wrong?

View Quote
Yes, you are wrong.
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 5:39:38 PM EDT
[#2]
How are you going to breach enemy prepared defenses without tanks?
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 5:41:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Shouldn’t all American tanks be rocking an awesome “TROPHY” ANTI-ATGM system?
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 5:41:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

With Javelins?
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 5:41:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

With Javelins?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

With Javelins?

Up-armored Javelins
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 5:42:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Israeli Rafael Trophy APS Active Protection System tested on Bradley hull IFV September 2018
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 5:43:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

With Javelins?
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/3/2022 5:43:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I wouldn't say obsolete... yes I would. Missiles change the battlefield.

Link Posted: 4/3/2022 5:44:23 PM EDT
[#9]
I think tanks will have automated missile defense systems soon. At least the good ones will.
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 5:46:27 PM EDT
[#10]
No, Russia just sucks at war and doesn't support their armor with infantry.
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 5:47:28 PM EDT
[#11]
No it hasn't.

First off, you have to assume that the enemy has javelins, or an equivalent missile. And many potential enemies won't have them in significant numbers.

And then you have to assume that technology and tactics aren't going to be developed to deal with the threat.

That being said, it does mean that militaries will have to take the threat seriously.
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 5:47:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I think tanks will have automated missile defense systems soon. At least the good ones will.
View Quote

They already do, the Russian's stuff just sucks or never worked in the first place.
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 5:49:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Two things.

Tanks, USED PROPERLY are not going anywhere. See Ukraine for an example of what NOT to do.

Anti-Armor missile teams have a shitty retirement plan.
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 5:49:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pretty sure actual 1st world military tanks comes with advanced anti missile stystems already.
Israeli Rafael Trophy APS Active Protection System tested on Bradley hull IFV September 2018

So I guess hard penetrator kinetic rounds are still the king of the battle field.

Or drone laser guided artillery rounds :/
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 5:50:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Between small portable missile systems and small portable drone systems, I can see a big shake up in the role(s) armor and vehicle systems play in future combat spaces
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 5:50:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Tanks are obsolete. Now on the modern battlefield all you need is a guy with DJI drone to find you a tank and happy hunting from 2 miles away.
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 5:52:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Tanks are an important part of combined arms. When used properly. Russia is historically known for not using them properly.
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 5:55:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Up-armored Javelins
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

With Javelins?

Up-armored Javelins

Super Javelins!
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 5:56:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Russia has the Kornet antitank missile.
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 5:56:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I wouldn’t want to be in a tank facing an adversary that has tons of javelins.   The sheer amount of Russian tanks destroyed is amazing.  Their tanks don’t seem to an advantage and they are huge magnets.

Am I wrong?

View Quote

I think there will always be a place for tanks, though their days of importance are waning.  They'll still have a place with technologically inferior forces with limited countermeasures.  Even against a peer enemy, there will still be a place if you can suppress enemy countermeasures reliably.  Those active protection systems might extend their relevance, but not long term.  If a drone that costs 25k can destroy a million dollar tank, the writing is on the wall.  

It looks like drones are the next big thing in ground warfare.  I'd expect for drone sections to be part of the battalion structure in the near future.  They can provide good reconnaissance, strike ground targets, and possibly even destroy entrenched positions.  Imagine a small drone with a C4 charge flying low at night and right into a entrenched position, exploding on the inside for maximum effect.  A target that small and possibly many targets would be hard to counter for even a modern force.  Electronic jammers would probably be a good counter for them if they required control from an enemy operator.  

The lessons of history in warfare are still true.  Don't get stuck trying to win wars of the past, prepare for winning the wars of the future.  Japan learned this lesson too late in WWII by investing too much in battleships when aircraft and carriers were the future.
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 5:57:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 6:01:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I wouldn't say obsolete... yes I would. Missiles change the battlefield.

View Quote

How are you going to execute a combined arms breach without a tank?
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 6:02:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't know that you can breach enemy defenses with tanks knowing there are Javelins, NLAWS, Matadors, etc. I personally think tanks are going the way of the battleship as tactics continue to favor special forces tactics.
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 6:04:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I think there will always be a place for tanks, though their days of importance are waning.  They'll still have a place with technologically inferior forces with limited countermeasures.  Even against a peer enemy, there will still be a place if you can suppress enemy countermeasures reliably.  Those active protection systems might extend their relevance, but not long term.  If a drone that costs 25k can destroy a million dollar tank, the writing is on the wall.  

It looks like drones are the next big thing in ground warfare.  I'd expect for drone sections to be part of the battalion structure in the near future.  They can provide good reconnaissance, strike ground targets, and possibly even destroy entrenched positions.  Imagine a small drone with a C4 charge flying low at night and right into a entrenched position, exploding on the inside for maximum effect.  A target that small and possibly many targets would be hard to counter for even a modern force.  Electronic jammers would probably be a good counter for them if they required control from an enemy operator.  

The lessons of history in warfare are still true.  Don't get stuck trying to win wars of the past, prepare for winning the wars of the future.  Japan learned this lesson too late in WWII by investing too much in battleships when aircraft and carriers were the future.
View Quote

Facial recognition combined with drones is some scary stuff, but seems inevitable.  

Why spend the time and money to kill 1000s of conscripts when you can just kill the generals?
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 6:05:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Take an Abrams chassis and mount a C-Ram on it. Problem solved.

Or go the Russian way and cover the tanks with troops. They’ll make squishy armor in a pinch.
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 6:06:26 PM EDT
[#26]
I sure wouldn't choose tank crew as a career.
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 6:07:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Facial recognition combined with drones is some scary stuff, but seems inevitable.  

Why spend the time and money to kill 1000s of conscripts when you can just kill the generals?
View Quote

Because someone will replace the general. A big part of warfare is taking ground/infrastructure/airfields/etc.
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 6:07:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Are drone tanks a thing yet?  Seems like they might be able to pack a shitload of technology and artillery into the cabins currently occupied by humans.  

....bring us closer to terminators/judgement day.  But if we have the flying in the sky, why not rolling on the ground.
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 6:09:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Are drone tanks a thing yet?  Seems like they might be able to pack a shitload of technology and artillery into the cabins currently occupied by humans.  

....bring us closer to terminators/judgement day.  But if we have the flying in the sky, why not rolling on the ground.
View Quote

Drone tanks don't make that much sense. You need people around to fix things and act as support. As soon as a drone tank throws tracks it's deadlined.
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 6:11:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I don't know that you can breach enemy defenses with tanks knowing there are Javelins, NLAWS, Matadors, etc. I personally think tanks are going the way of the battleship as tactics continue to favor special forces tactics.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Special forces struggle to hold ground. If you can’t capitalize on their success what’s the point?

Active protection systems kill direct attack munitions and they are expanding that to top attack. Soon tanks operated by rich nations will be harder to kill than in 2000.
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 6:12:36 PM EDT
[#31]
no... I just think the Russians don't know how to fight.
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 6:12:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Armor is mobility.  

No Armor…very limited mobility.  

ATGMs are not new.  Nothing has changed.  Most of the reports from Ukraine are nonsense.  Poor tactics by tankers are not the same as tanks being obsolete.
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 6:12:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Define special forces tactics.
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 6:13:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

How are you going to do it with all your tanks destroyed?
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 6:13:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

When competent CAS turns the missile operators into pink mist, then tanks are GTG.  Add in some aimed artillery / mortars and those missile operators will be long gone.  

Add in reactive armor that works...  

But all the Armchair generals will say "Oh, we are all EXPERTS now, since we watched UKR defeat Russia from our Lazybois and know what to do!!!"

LMFAO, go drink another beer and mow your lawn.
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 6:13:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

With good combined arms tactics they won't be.
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 6:16:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

That’s unlikely. Even Russia, with their terrible tactics and lack of functioning active protection systems, have only lost something like 1 in 6 tanks destroyed, mostly by missiles that the latest Abrams would shoot down without asking the crew first.
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 6:18:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because Generals decide where the budget is spent.  If they want to keep their heads on top of their shoulders they will put a lot of funding in defensive systems for VIPs and headquarters units.  So what if they don't have any budget left for broadly deployed antidrone systems to protect soldiers.
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 6:18:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Tanks are obsolete. Now on the modern battlefield all you need is a guy with DJI drone to find you a tank and happy hunting from 2 miles away.
View Quote

Do you know what a drone is? An easily targeted slow as hell missile.
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 6:26:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Are we regressing to horse and mule or are soldiers going to walk everywhere?
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 6:30:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Do you know what a drone is? An easily targeted slow as hell missile.
View Quote

Maybe not so easy.  Many AA missiles still use heat tracking for guidance and have minimum distances.  The more advanced missiles might also not be cost effective to shoot down cheap drones.  Drones that are powered by batteries could be hard to track.  They could sneak near the ground while using cover (trees, buildings, terrain) then appear from a vulnerable angle and conduct their attack.  If drones like this can be produced cheaply in numbers, it would be a game changer.
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 6:31:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 6:31:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Maybe not so easy.  Many AA missiles still use heat tracking for guidance and have minimum distances.  The more advanced missiles might also not be cost effective to shoot down cheap drones.  Drones that are powered by batteries could be hard to track.  They could sneak near the ground while using cover (trees, buildings, terrain) then appear from a vulnerable angle and conduct their attack.  If drones like this can be produced cheaply in numbers, it would be a game changer.
View Quote

Until they encounter electronic warfare equipment or laser CUAS or any number of other things that are emerging.
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 6:33:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Tanks?  The future challenge is going to be recruiting fuel truck drivers.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 6:33:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Until they encounter electronic warfare equipment or laser CUAS or any number of other things that are emerging.
View Quote

Yeah, love the "Oh my DJI thingy works great".

Until it's jammed and crashes.
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 6:40:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Employ several drones. If you lose one or two that's OK.
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 6:40:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Another "are tanks obsolete" thread?

Read some history.

https://www.historynet.com/the-arab-israeli-war-of-1973-honor-oil-and-blood/
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 6:42:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

If they're fielded in time and in enough numbers.   That might also be countered if the drones aren't hardened against them.  It will be interesting to see how it plays out.  It will probably come down to who has the best R&D, manufacturing, or otherwise invests them most in those systems.
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 6:44:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Employ several drones. If you lose one or two that's OK.
View Quote

And when the sky gets turned into a microwave and they are all dried? What then?
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 6:44:55 PM EDT
[#50]
I predict the emergence of drones designed to hunt and kill drone operators. Possibly autonomously.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top