Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 8:51:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I got a recruitment phone call from Harvard when I was in high school (1400 SAT). The girl on the other end was SHOCKED when I told her that it was not on my list of possible schools and I wasn’t interested. “You don’t want to go to Harvard?!”  The arrogance.  I had always wanted to go to UT-Austin, which I got an almost entirely free ride to in any case.
View Quote
Harvard solicits far more people to apply than are actually competitive.  I already posted about this.

It is a shitty thing the best schools do.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 8:59:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Affirmative Action is legalized descrimination.

Making it legal doesn't make it right.  The USSC is going to shut it down in coming years and it will be long overdue.
View Quote
That would be discrimination.

Glad I got 1600 back in the day.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 9:01:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Take a look at these graphs and stats. It's quite clear that this is happening across the board even all the way to med school.

OOO pretty graphs

Some highlights to piss you off.

MCAT of 24-26 and GPA of 3.20 to 3.39
Acceptance rate
Asian 5.9%
White 8.0%
HISPANIC 30.5%
BLACK 56.4%

MCAT of 30-32 and GPA of 3.60 to 3.79
Acceptance rate
Asian 57.5%
White 63.0%
HISPANIC 83.4%
BLACK 93.7%

You cannot explain that without race entering the equation. And then by definition...

In my school lets just say there were certain groups that got a chance to take summer school and be taught subject matter that would be repeated for the upcoming school year. The fun part of this was other groups of people weren't even offered this chance. The absolute irony was that the courses were taken on a pass/fail basis, and those students seemed to still managed to fail the subjects when it counted. Of course that didn't matter since those groups had different standard on what was considered passing.

This is a bit of a problem. Before I had kids I'd say I understand somewhat that we need to give minorities more of a chance. Now?...no, higher education should be about the best, race honestly shouldn't even be on the application. And I'm not even talking about a check box, I'm talking about being a blind application, no names etc. Just scores.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 9:18:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Serious question here.

How does Harvard define race?  If I had applied as an African would they have held it against me that I have blue eyes and blond hair?

If I checked off the "African", box would they have let me in? Or would they have kicked me out later for being too white?

Why did they consider Elizabeth Warren to be a person of color when she's white like me?
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 9:22:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Bad week for Harvard, between this admissions scandal and the Pocahontas farce.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 9:24:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Ok, Harvard turns into a pure meritocracy.   It would be mostly Asian and Jewish.   Few legacies either.

Besides the loss of billions from alumni, they also lose placing all the top minority kids into industry.

Then there is the whailing and gnashing of teeth from half the country that Harvard is racist and non Asian minorities are being locked out of the power factory.

If you do not see how that would harm Harvard (or most any school).  OK. You disagree.

The world is a pretty nuanced place.  Good luck.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I cannot help but express extreme dubiety at such a claim.  Do you have some sort of evidence to back that up?
Ok, Harvard turns into a pure meritocracy.   It would be mostly Asian and Jewish.   Few legacies either.

Besides the loss of billions from alumni, they also lose placing all the top minority kids into industry.

Then there is the whailing and gnashing of teeth from half the country that Harvard is racist and non Asian minorities are being locked out of the power factory.

If you do not see how that would harm Harvard (or most any school).  OK. You disagree.

Well, at least you're honest about it.

Some fortune 500 company needs to hire some fast tracking young executive. They want some people from minority group X and demographic Y.  They know they're going to discriminate against the best qualified.  They take the best of a relatively noncompetitive group.  To make it easy to assuage their confidence, Harvard reaches down and does some of the same thing.  But the SJW people who deligitimize the hiring process didnt realize that the university's already did it.  The Harvard diploma is meaningless since the graduate didnt deserve it in the first place

If no Ivy league pulled this crap then the best person from demographic X still gets the job, it would just be someone with a degree form State U. Its the same guy...artificially reaching into the ivies for a diploma made no difference at all. In exchange for making the corruption less obvious, a Harvard grad gets the job, and the cash, and funnels it back in as an alumni to Cambridge.  As long as he/she/it doesnt become a doctor or someone who kills someone through incompetence, Harvard can pocket the cash and look the other way.

Money laundering is a crime.  Resume laundering isnt.  Its legal and pays better, if your alumni do their part.  Doesnt make it right.  The universities support the corruption of the SJWs as they get their chunk of the cash.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 9:29:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
Back in the day (40+ years ago) 1600's were rare. The SAT was progressively dumbed down to the point where, somewhere in the early 90's, it was decertified as a qualification for membership in Mensa.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 9:32:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Well, at least you're honest about it.

Some fortune 500 company needs to hire some fast tracking young executive. They want some people from minority group X and demographic Y.  They know they're going to discriminate against the best qualified.  They take the best of a relatively noncompetitive group.  To make it easy to assuage their confidence, Harvard reaches down and does some of the same thing.  But the SJW people who deligitimize the hiring process didnt realize that the university's already did it.  The Harvard diploma is meaningless since the graduate didnt deserve it in the first place

If no Ivy league pulled this crap then the best person from demographic X still gets the job, it would just be someone with a degree form State U. Its the same guy...artificially reaching into the ivies for a diploma made no difference at all. In exchange for making the corruption less obvious, a Harvard grad gets the job, and the cash, and funnels it back in as an alumni to Cambridge.  As long as he/she/it doesnt become a doctor or someone who kills someone through incompetence, Harvard can pocket the cash and look the other way.

Money laundering is a crime.  Resume laundering isnt.  Its legal and pays better, if your alumni do their part.  Doesnt make it right.  The universities support the corruption of the SJWs as they get their chunk of the cash.
View Quote
One of the things I think most people are missing in this is, even if competitively less on paper than some, the minorities coming out of top schools are still nationally competitive top students.   They are still rock stars

The other thing is average do not give any individual reality.   It is entirely possible that The single smartest person is from a minority that, on average, scores less than other demographics.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 9:34:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Maybe those that don't make the cut should start caring about their education enough to.....compete on equal footing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If college admissions are made colorblind, blacks and hispanics will virtually disappear from the university system in the US.
Maybe those that don't make the cut should start caring about their education enough to.....compete on equal footing.
I’m not saying that I care lol
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 9:34:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
At one time 1600 was a perfect score.   There were usually under 10 a year nationally.  Is your claim that you are one of those people?
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 9:36:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It would be nice if this led to the end of affirmative action, racist policy that it is.
View Quote
It is institutionalized racism.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 9:37:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Explain that.  And if the top minority kids end up being inferior to others, why is this a bad thing?  Also, the purpose of education shouldn't be job placement, so that makes me see it as a problem even less.

As for the wailing and gnashing of teeth, serious, who GAF?  No university should.  If someone doesn't like it because it doesn't comport with their SJW sensibilities, they can fuck off.  That's not an excuse for this policy at all.  "Well, some people expect us to have racist policies like this and would be very angry if we didn't, so we have to."  Give me a break.

Not seeing these things as serious issues does not inherently entail a lack of nuanced thought.  It's a good way to try to frame things in a more favourable light to yourself, though, as fallacious as such a method of reasoning is.

The only issue that is a legitimate concern is the alumni legacy issue, but that can be resolvred without these racist policies.  Reserve some space for legacy candidates, within reason (if they totally suck, they should still not be allowed in), but make everything else based on academic merit, resorting to character (good or bad), using traditional Western views of virtue and character, to break ties if necessary to make such differentiations.

There is simply no justification that I have seen so far which withstands scrutiny in principle for this sort of policy.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 9:40:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Shit I'm 20 points behind my race. Fuck me.

In Highschool, I knew kids that had the exact same background as me. However, since they were Mexican and I was Asian, they were rewarded and got letters of recommendations for getting scores under mine.
... at the same time, a lot of my friends who were actually low income/ immigrants were white and Asian.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 9:44:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You're joking right? Never. Gonna. Happen.
View Quote
University of Michigan has already had a case. Race is not to be considered in undergrad admissions but can be for graduate admissions.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 9:47:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What positive things do you think would come from the vast majority of non Asian minorities being locked out of the best schools?

You can turn schools into meritocracies.   That does not turn off the reality that there are a lot of minorities and political powers that stay in power because of them.

I am not a fan of affirmative action but turning 100 or more million people, that form pretty cohesive groups, into even more of a hopeless underclass, is not the kind of thing that is good for a nation.

As a libertarian, I would like to see public schools be meritocracies and private schools be able to do what they want.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have made a lot of claims which do not appear to inherently express the reality of things and which require evidence to be accepted as such.
What positive things do you think would come from the vast majority of non Asian minorities being locked out of the best schools?

You can turn schools into meritocracies.   That does not turn off the reality that there are a lot of minorities and political powers that stay in power because of them.

I am not a fan of affirmative action but turning 100 or more million people, that form pretty cohesive groups, into even more of a hopeless underclass, is not the kind of thing that is good for a nation.

As a libertarian, I would like to see public schools be meritocracies and private schools be able to do what they want.
To the first, why should it matter?  If someone does not make the cut, they don't make the cut.  It's not the purpose of the university to concern itself with such things.  Its purpose is to curate, pass down, and synthesize knowledge of the liberal arts, sciences, applied sciences, and professions.  Such a purpose depends heavily on merit for its furtherance.  To water things down so that the demographics match a certain desired outcome is detrimental to the core function of a university.  Lowering the standards for racial reasons lowers the bar for everyone.  I've seen this effect.  The students who shouldn't have been there brought everyone else down closer to their level.  The policy is not only morally wrong, but detrimental to proper academic function.  And ensuring the best quality education for those most capable of receiving it, and promoting the best, is inherently beneficial to the purpose of advancing, maintaining, and passing down knowledge, which I would certainly consider a "positive thing".

Abandoning the traditional functions of higher educational institutions (which many, if not the majority have done to some extent, even absent these racist policies) does far more harm to individuals and society than admitting those who are less qualified or unqualified for the sake of their race, while keeping out those who are more qualified, again, because of their race.  It is not a good thing for the nation.

The reason why these people find themselves at the bottom has nothing to do with education, and won't significantly be fixed by it.  Culture is the problem, and it is a problem that to a large extent has to be fixed from within.  They condemn themselves into being an underclass, to the extent that such is an accurate description.

And sure, legally, private institutions should do what they want, but society should not give them a free pass for their behaviour, and they should be shunned.

Harvard seems to have really done a number on you, which I think says more about Harvard than I ever could.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 9:49:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Sounds like they need their federal funding taken away.
View Quote
Federal funding and intervention has done nothing but harm to education.  No university should receive it.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 9:49:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
As a hispanic, it disgusts me. I want the best and brightest to have these sorts of opportunities. I want the best lawyer or the best doctor and I don't care if they're all asian or white. People should be admitted based on their academic merits, it should be a "colorblind" process.
View Quote
As an Asian, I concur.  Give me the best regardless of race.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 9:49:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Explain that.  And if the top minority kids end up being inferior to others, why is this a bad thing?  Also, the purpose of education shouldn't be job placement, so that makes me see it as a problem even less.

As for the wailing and gnashing of teeth, serious, who GAF?  No university should.  If someone doesn't like it because it doesn't comport with their SJW sensibilities, they can fuck off.  That's not an excuse for this policy at all.  "Well, some people expect us to have racist policies like this and would be very angry if we didn't, so we have to."  Give me a break.

Not seeing these things as serious issues does not inherently entail a lack of nuanced thought.  It's a good way to try to frame things in a more favourable light to yourself, though, as fallacious as such a method of reasoning is.

The only issue that is a legitimate concern is the alumni legacy issue, but that can be resolvred without these racist policies.  Reserve some space for legacy candidates, within reason (if they totally suck, they should still not be allowed in), but make everything else based on academic merit, resorting to character (good or bad), using traditional Western views of virtue and character, to break ties if necessary to make such differentiations.

There is simply no justification that I have seen so far which withstands scrutiny in principle for this sort of policy.
View Quote
Your argument is the way you think it should work.  My statements are about the way it works and that no one else has better results.

You and I are not likely to agree on much.

For those calling them out, you are calling out the single most wealthy and successful, in terms of results, school in the world.

That doesn’t make you wrong but in all the world, no one is doing better.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 9:51:56 PM EDT
[#19]
So...can we follow Li-a-watha's lead, and cheat on our DNA tests?
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 9:53:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Just about every school has different standards for blacks and Hispanics. In America, black and Hispanic success comes at Asian and white expense.
View Quote
This. Identify yourself as an asexual/transexual Jewish/atheist/agnostic minority and you can go to one of the bullshit "schools" anywhere for free and get patted on the back for getting a degree that is worth absolutely nothing. after graduation be sure to get a Twitter and a Facebook so you can complain about your self-identified lack of privilege and be hired to a bullshit position for a political entity.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 9:54:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Good, my kids are half Asian and get great grades.

Maybe they won't be screwed on getting in a good college because they either claim white and/or asian.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 9:55:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If college admissions are made colorblind, blacks and hispanics will virtually disappear from the university system in the US.
View Quote
Which is why the’ll just find another way to “tweak” the entrance requirements.  The end justifies the means to Libs.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 9:56:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Your argument is the way you think it should work.  My statements are about the way it works and that no one else has better results.

For those calling them out, you are calling out the single most wealthy and successful, in terms of results, school in the world.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For reasons that seem to have little to do with education.  It's all about building networks with the powerful, as someone mentioned.  Whether those people who achieve because of this actually came out better educated or better people overall is at the very least rather questionable.  I judge an educational institution based on what it has taught and ingrained into its alumni.  That is, after all, what the university is supposed to be about.  The rest should just be happy bonuses.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 9:56:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Affirmative Action is legalized descrimination.

Making it legal doesn't make it right.  The USSC is going to shut it down in coming years and it will be long overdue.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 9:56:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

To the first, why should it matter?  If someone does not make the cut, they don't make the cut.  It's not the purpose of the university to concern itself with such things.  Its purpose is to curate, pass down, and synthesize knowledge of the liberal arts, sciences, applied sciences, and professions.  Such a purpose depends heavily on merit for its furtherance.  To water things down so that the demographics match a certain desired outcome is detrimental to the core function of a university.  Lowering the standards for racial reasons lowers the bar for everyone.  I've seen this effect.  The students who shouldn't have been there brought everyone else down closer to their level.  The policy is not only morally wrong, but detrimental to proper academic function.  And ensuring the best quality education for those most capable of receiving it, and promoting the best, is inherently beneficial to the purpose of advancing, maintaining, and passing down knowledge, which I would certainly consider a "positive thing".

Abandoning the traditional functions of higher educational institutions (which many, if not the majority have done to some extent, even absent these racist policies) does far more harm to individuals and society than admitting those who are less qualified or unqualified for the sake of their race, while keeping out those who are more qualified, again, because of their race.  It is not a good thing for the nation.

The reason why these people find themselves at the bottom has nothing to do with education, and won't significantly be fixed by it.  Culture is the problem, and it is a problem that to a large extent has to be fixed from within.  They condemn themselves into being an underclass, to the extent that such is an accurate description.

And sure, legally, private institutions should do what they want, but society should not give them a free pass for their behaviour, and they should be shunned.

Harvard seems to have really done a number on you, which I think says more about Harvard than I ever could.
View Quote
You are romanticising “traditional education” as something it never was.  It has always been a place for privilege, nepotism and experimentation.   Even when it was largely for the clergy.   It has never been pure.

And once again, you are literally saying to the wealthiest and most successful school in the world that they are doing it wrong.

As for what Harvard did to me, you cant even begin to imagine the doors it opened.  That is what the wealthiest and most successful school does for a person.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 9:58:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

For reasons that seem to have little to do with education.  It's all about building networks with the powerful, as someone mentioned.  Whether those people who achieve because of this actually came out better educated or better people overall is at the very least rather questionable.  I judge an educational institution based on what it has taught and ingrained into its alumni.  That is, after all, what the university is supposed to be about.  The rest should just be happy bonuses.
View Quote
Some people wish for the game to be different than it is. Some people play the game at hand and play to win.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 9:59:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
HOLY crap, 1310 can get you considered for Harvard?!??!?! WTF I had a 1250 and was hung over when i took the SAT my junior year. Extra curriculars like crazy, (captain for football team, track team, and youth volunteer of year for local community), If i had taken the SAT my senior year i could have a legit shot at going to Harvard?!?!?!? WTF. holy crap...
View Quote
If you are motivated and involved in HS you can get accepted to a lot of places. My story is much like yours, although I never took the SAT. I took the ACT while probably still measurably drunk from the night before. I got letters from a lot of places including MIT. None of which I would ever entertain thoughts of attending but I did find it funny.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 10:00:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
You are romanticising “traditional education” as something it never was.  It has always been a place for privilege, nepotism and experimentation.   Even when it was largely for the clergy.   It has never been pure.

And once again, you are literally saying to the wealthiest and most successful school in the world that they are doing it wrong.

As for what Harvard did to me, you cant even begin to imagine the doors it opened.  That is what the wealthiest and most successful school does for a person.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All human institutions have some measure of corruption.  It is inherent in human nature.  But to make it inherent in the system to a higher degree or make it the basis for the institution altogether is another story.

Wealth is not the measure of a good educational institution.  And if you are a typical example of what Harvard is producing, I certainly wouldn't want people from Harvard being part of any endeavours in which I may engage.  It clearly corrupts the mind.

And yeah, like I said, the point of Harvard now is networking, not education.  Cerrtainly by that measure, it is successful.  By any proper measure of a university, that is of minimal relevance.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 10:13:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
That's the newer 2000 point scale too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
HOLY crap, 1310 can get you considered for Harvard?!??!?! WTF I had a 1250 and was hung over when i took the SAT my junior year. Extra curriculars like crazy, (captain for football team, track team, and youth volunteer of year for local community), If i had taken the SAT my senior year i could have a legit shot at going to Harvard?!?!?!? WTF. holy crap...
That's the newer 2000 point scale too.
Nope, it went from 1600, to 2400, back to 1600 a few years ago.

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 10:18:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

You're not a fan of affirmative action but you think affirmative action is good for the nation?

Oh ok.
View Quote
No he thinks whatever action or stance Harvard has taken is automatically good, because if it wasn't good Harvard wouldn't have taken it.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 10:22:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

All human institutions have some measure of corruption.  It is inherent in human nature.  But to make it inherent in the system to a higher degree or make it the basis for the institution altogether is another story.

Wealth is not the measure of a good educational institution.  And if you are a typical example of what Harvard is producing, I certainly wouldn't want people from Harvard being part of any endeavours in which I may engage.  It clearly corrupts the mind.

And yeah, like I said, the point of Harvard now is networking, not education.  Cerrtainly by that measure, it is successful.  By any proper measure of a university, that is of minimal relevance.
View Quote
Right, because Harvard is not a world leader in reasearch or anything like that.

Again, you are taking a swing at the champ.  The champ does not always win but lying about his performance is absurd.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 10:23:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

It is absurd to call out Harvard when the topic is production of luminaries.  Be it is science, politics, industry, entertainment, the arts....whatever.

Harvard, like almost every other university, is a left leaning circle jerk of a place.   But it is insane to take swings at their results.   You can parse them.  You can argue reasons. You can point out a few areas of comparative weakness....but at the end of the day, they are the champs.
View Quote
I'm sure they're going to remain at the forefront of science with a policy of preferring melanin over brains.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 10:24:43 PM EDT
[#33]
“Harvard never considers an applicant’s race to be a negative,”

Some animals are more equal than others...
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 10:25:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

No he thinks whatever action or stance Harvard has taken is automatically good, because if it wasn't good Harvard wouldn't have taken it.
View Quote
I have no idea how you can honestly extrapolate that from the specific things I have said.  Such as the reality that Harvard will do what is in the best interests of Harvard.   That is a factual statement, not a declaration of opinion or support.

It is a shitty game. Harvard is the best at playing it.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 10:27:18 PM EDT
[#35]
This blatant racism:

- oh why isn't ANTIFA organizing demonstrations to fight such bigotry??

(Oh right - ANTIFA approves of bigotry like this).
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 10:29:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I'm sure they're going to remain at the forefront of science with a policy of preferring melanin over brains.
View Quote
Every university is playing the game. Harvard still gets the best as it plays it as well.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 10:47:48 PM EDT
[#37]
How about only admitting the smartest people with the best grade point averages?
This of course doesn't include athletes and such.

Seriously.  This isn't hard.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 10:55:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Lol, in this thread GD feigns outrage.

If we asked about Asian H-1B visa holders in another thread, half the posters would say not to admit them and claim it is because they lack the exact same “personal” factors Harvard cites for not admitting Asians.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 11:02:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
How about only admitting the smartest people with the best grade point averages?

View Quote
What people seem to miss is Harvard gets the skim of the very top of those people.   They also get the skim of the very top of the global elite, the skim of the top of those willing to write a sizable check to get a kid in and the skim of the very top of each racial demographic.

Harvard's ultimate positions is "People are more than grades and test scores."  Kind of like half of this place, that attacks higher education because people are more than grades and test scores.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 11:05:30 PM EDT
[#40]
The real bitch of the black admissions is it isn’t the downtrodden getting in. It is the suburban kids using the quota system.

Justice Thoroughood Marshall’s son got into law school on a racial quota. He shouldn’t have needed anything like this as his father was powerful.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 11:08:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
1. That's what the top schools are doing. They're not admitting blacks and hispanics with Bs and Cs. They're still working in the top 5%.
2. College admissions has never been a strict meritocracy. Plenty of kids from families with good donor records get an edge too.
3. If we're talking academic meritocracy, why exclude athletes?
4. Why shouldn't private schools like Harvard be able to admit whoever they want?
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 11:12:05 PM EDT
[#42]
I'll be accused of being a white supremacist for saying this (which would be idiotic since this indicates that Asians have the lead), but if true, it seems that Harvard is admitting a genetic link to intelligence.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 11:15:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I'll be accused of being a white supremacist for saying this (which would be idiotic since this indicates that Asians have the lead), but if true, it seems that Harvard is admitting a genetic link to intelligence.
View Quote
lol no
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 12:07:23 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

If you are motivated and involved in HS you can get accepted to a lot of places. My story is much like yours, although I never took the SAT. I took the ACT while probably still measurably drunk from the night before. I got letters from a lot of places including MIT. None of which I would ever entertain thoughts of attending but I did find it funny.
View Quote
The SAT is more about learning how to take the SAT than actually knowing things. Don't get me wrong, you can just know Math and English and get a good grade, but conversely, you can be dumb as rocks but know how the test questions are asked/ what they're looking for and get a good score.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 12:31:14 AM EDT
[#45]
Asian Americans are not the equality they want.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 12:38:28 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
lol no
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
lol no
Well, if true, they certainly seem to be operating from that premise.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 12:43:25 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
As a hispanic, it disgusts me. I want the best and brightest to have these sorts of opportunities. I want the best lawyer or the best doctor and I don't care if they're all asian or white. People should be admitted based on their academic merits, it should be a "colorblind" process.
Grades and test scores doesnt always equate to the best leaders/students.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 12:54:21 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Grades and test scores doesnt always equate to the best leaders/students.
View Quote
Of course....and you do not need a college education to become a self made millionaire....but a good majority of self made millionaires have a college degree.

Most research points to high school grades being the best indicator of college success.  Test scores only correlate slightly to performance.   That makes sense.  Grades include the component of long term work.  Tests do not.  The world is full of smart people that do not accomplish shit and average people who grind their way to success.  A guy with top grades is likely smart and hard working.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 12:56:55 AM EDT
[#49]
Where was my recruitment letter for my 1425 SAT, 34 ACT?

Ahhh, white male, I'm not allowed to be smart.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 1:03:58 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Well, if true, they certainly seem to be operating from that premise.
View Quote
I think the term you're looking for is cultural. There can be a significant cultural difference when it comes to education and goals.

By and large when I was growing up there was a large group of us in the neighborhood that would get together and play. Black, white, Indian (couple dots and 1 feather). A mixing pot for sure. We had 3 Asian kids, 2 girls and a boy. 1 of the girls and the boy came out much later (if at all) cause they had "extra" homework, be it a school assigned one or more likely one by their parents. They were always pressured to do better, and they were already top of the class. I happened to be in class with the girl. Straight As, a bunch of extra curricular stuff, all of it. I've never in my life seen any other demographic that pushed their kids as hard. It can leads to very successful adults, but some inevitably and unfortunately break along the way. Mind you, the boy and girl had first gen traditional Asians parents. The other girl had more Americanized parents that were much more lenient with such things.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top