Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/24/2019 4:45:08 PM EDT
Ran across a rumor about hardened going out or being shut down? Funny, because they took my money 3 weeks ago to build a 7.62 upper and I cannot get ahold of them by phone or email. Anyone have insight on this?
Hope I didn’t just get f***ed out of 300 bucks!!!!
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 4:53:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 5:06:33 PM EDT
[#2]
It’s on reddit and someone on Facebook posted a photo link from the island guardian, looks like a local rag from that area. Facebook page and website are gone.
Looks true, and that’s business, but I’m friggin HOT about it!!! I already messaged the owner, nicely, let’s see how much of a real man he is.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 1:56:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It’s on reddit and someone on Facebook posted a photo link from the island guardian, looks like a local rag from that area. Facebook page and website are gone.
Looks true, and that’s business, but I’m friggin HOT about it!!! I already messaged the owner, nicely, let’s see how much of a real man he is.
View Quote
I am in the same boat.  Ordered on 3/19/2019 and now I haven't heard anything in weeks since they called me and tried to upsell me on handguards.  Where/how did you reach out to try and get a response?
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 7:48:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Any update to this story?

Link Posted: 4/25/2019 7:56:06 PM EDT
[#5]
If true that really blows. a few years back I got a 10.5 in upper from them for a Pistol build and it is really accurate.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 7:57:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Interesting I'd heard of them but don't think I've ever bought anything.

ETA so these are the folks that did the handguard with intagrated lights. Lots of cheese grater in the image search.

So I wouldn't be surprised a victim of salad days.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 8:01:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Nothing posted to their Twitter page in four years. Shame, I thought about ordering some stuff from them. Glad I didn't.

A year ago:

"Hardened Arms flourishing on San Juan Island"
https://sanjuanislander.com/news-articles/business-and-economy/26914/hardened-arms-flourishing-on-san-juan-island
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 8:03:52 PM EDT
[#8]
A couple of years ago, I bought two uppers from them. Top notch, no problems at the time.

It's too bad if they're gone, they were a pretty good company.

I did take off the 'cheese grater' handguard and replace it with one I actually liked. The second upper I upgraded the handguard to something much nicer.

I hope you guys get your money back.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 8:06:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Dispute the charge with your CC
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 9:23:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Dispute the charge with your CC
View Quote
Yeah that is my plan now, just thought I'd wait a day in case somebody actually responsed...now I have to go out and spend more money instead!
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 2:31:17 PM EDT
[#11]
More details?
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 11:35:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Here’s the owners personal FB page

https://www.facebook.com/patrick.merlino.1
Link Posted: 5/3/2019 9:07:17 AM EDT
[#13]
His last Facebook post was on March 29. He seems to have gone silent since then.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 11:55:17 PM EDT
[#14]
My brother just told me about this. It really blows they made some great uppers for cheap. I feel bad for him as his upper was out of spec and caused a endcap strike on his liberty silencer and his lower made by EDC was also out of spec and they too folded. Glad I didn't get that Join or Die EDC lower I was eyeing
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 11:56:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 5:22:32 PM EDT
[#16]
I am/was a supplier to Hardened Arms.  I talked to them at the beginning of April and they said they had great things happening, new distributors, making their own uppers etc. and now I am left with several large unpaid bills. Anyone know if there is an attorney or anyone else I can contact to see if there are any assets that will be liquidated for the creditors?  Any insight is greatly appreciated!
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 5:40:40 PM EDT
[#17]
A bunch of their uppers were dumped on Dvor(Optics Planet) a week or so ago.  They no longer show them as a brand now.
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 6:40:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Arms market must've softened...
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 12:09:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Looks like I'm in the same boat.  Hope something good comes out of this, but I  doubt it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 4:27:45 PM EDT
[#20]
I own two uppers from this company. I had been impressed with their build quality, customer service and function. I felt their prices (in line with their quality) was fantastic, so much so I overlooked their lengthy wait times. The last upper I had ordered, was wrapped in paper and shipped in a blank cardboard box, now makes a little more sense... With that said, hearing about how they claimed bankruptcy (A process one generally sees coming) all the while continuing to take in orders really bums me out. I held them in high regard, but any company that would so flippantly screw over their customers gets no respect from me. I hope those who lost out get their money back.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 8:32:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Sorry guys, I forgot about this thread.
We all know they're gone now, but FWIW, I called my bank and filled out a dispute form (paid for goods that were not delivered) and they reimbursed my account in about a week, no questions, no hassles.
RKK3- that is terrible! I would think you could take legal action and collect, but you better get on it now if you haven't already. If there is nothing to get back, I believe they would place a judgement against the company, which is nothing more than a piece of damn paper since they are now out of business.
LLCs are a double edged sword- businesses do fail, shit happens sometimes. Its nice if you owned the failed business because folks can not come after you personally, but it sucks as one of those folks on the other side who got shafted and cant collect. At that point, tax writeoff is the best you can do.
*** If anyone takes this as legal advice from a simple small business owner like me, DONT!  Do your research first***  LOL

By the way, the day after this crap went down I ordered a BCA 16" x39/15" M lok and had it the next day!  Threw my Toolcraft NiBo BCG in it, dropped it on a basic lower with Spikes 'snowflake' receiver, Toms Tac enhanced trigger, threw a 4-12x40 Nikon P scope on it, loaded a couple CPD mags, and it hasn't given me one single issue, even with cheap Tul ammo.
Good luck to you all. If you paid for something that was not delivered, get with your bank, now!
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 1:14:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Tough low margin business.

Everyone is selling AR parts, and builds.  Gone are the days where there was a wide distinction in AR parts quality tiers-- now it is just price.  Hard for these companies to compete with so many offering complete builds for $499.
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 1:16:04 PM EDT
[#23]
@dontTread Glad it worked out.

Should be a lesson for everyone to always pay with a credit card for chargeback protection.
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 1:43:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I am/was a supplier to Hardened Arms.  I talked to them at the beginning of April and they said they had great things happening, new distributors, making their own uppers etc. and now I am left with several large unpaid bills. Anyone know if there is an attorney or anyone else I can contact to see if there are any assets that will be liquidated for the creditors?  Any insight is greatly appreciated!
View Quote
Would it be a viable option to go to the courthouse and put a lien on any real property they own?  It would be a stretch that they owned their place as opposed to renting, but.........
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 1:49:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Arms market must've softened...
View Quote
ha.
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 7:42:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Man, I feel lucky. I bought a 300 Blackout upper from them a couple of months ago and it came pretty quick. I guess you never really know what goes on with a business. There was a great gun store at the range I go to that was always packed and had a great selection of everything shooting or archery related. Fully stocked and super friendly and knowledgable staff. Then one day, its doors were shuttered and a sign posted outside saying the business was closed. There were a ton of guys waiting for guns to be transferred and the ATF got involved because of all the guns in limbo. Turns out the business was highly leveraged and deep in debt despite the apparent success. Never know.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 12:29:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Meh, they weren't that great. I bought a 22" bull barrel 6.5 Grendel from them a few months before they closed.

It was a solid 2 moa shooter. Tired of wasting money trying to find a handload that works.

Funny thing, when I called them to order the woman on the phone was perplexed as to why they suddenly had so much business. She wanted to know how I found them. I guess that bubble popped.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 2:29:14 PM EDT
[#28]
I got a 8.25" .300blk free floated quad rail upper from them for an SBR build a couple years ago. I had nothing but problems with it until I took it apart and realized they never fastened the gas block down properly and it was sliding all over the place on the barrel. A little bit of loc-tite and some elbow grease and it has been 100% reliable. Caused me a couple range trips worth of frustration and a shit load of ammo I burned through to track it down though.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 2:36:24 PM EDT
[#29]
I bought a pistol upper from them about 2 years ago.

Businesses go out of business. Sucks but it happens.

Sucks more for people who are out money.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 2:41:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I got a 8.25" .300blk free floated quad rail upper from them for an SBR build a couple years ago. I had nothing but problems with it until I took it apart and realized they never fastened the gas block down properly and it was sliding all over the place on the barrel. A little bit of loc-tite and some elbow grease and it has been 100% reliable. Caused me a couple range trips worth of frustration and a shit load of ammo I burned through to track it down though.
View Quote
Ive got that same upper from them. Have had it for 5-6 years now. Not a single issue with mine.
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 1:56:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Sad to hear it.. bought 2 completed uppers from them in the past. I liked their selection and that they still offered Quadrails.
Good customer service too.

I was happy with their product.. But its a tough market and some guys will go down.. sad...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top