Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/13/2020 10:28:49 AM EDT
I don't personally own any of the "newer" Harbor Freight silver or red jack stands, but it appears that the replacements for the recently recalled jackstands are failing in a new, different manner.

Not my video, but have a look:

URGENT - Harbor Freight Recall REPLACEMENT Stands are FAILING!!

Link Posted: 6/13/2020 10:36:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Made in F-China???
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 10:37:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 10:38:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Trusting your life to a discount jack stand is kinda dumb. Finding out they're faulty and the use the same cheapo brand's "fixed" jack stand is an invitation for natural selection to do its thing.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 10:41:10 AM EDT
[#4]
There are some items I consider necessary to not cheap out on, for example tires.

I would put jack stands in this category
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 10:43:03 AM EDT
[#5]
One of my acquaintances stopped by the other day.  He had some red stands in his trunk, looked identical to the Harbor Freight stands, but they weren't, and he bought them on eBay.  The locking paws were shallow, similar to the original Harbor Freight failure.

I told him.  He said, "sometimes I don't even use them, and I really don't get *under* the car."

Good luck!

On the other hand, my Harbor Freight orange jack stands seem to be fine, as they are from 10+ years ago, and weren't included from the recall.  I also have some of their silver jacks, have worked fine for me.  I've always been somewhat uneasy being under a vehicle supported by jack stands regardless of who manufactures them.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 10:47:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Anyone who buys from harbor freight is 100% willingly supporting the chi-coms....

Any injuries or deaths from harbor freight products are the fault of the purchaser...
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 10:48:45 AM EDT
[#7]
HF screwdrivers and ratchets? Okay.

HF jack stands? Yeah, not trusting my life to those.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 10:49:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Anyone who buys from harbor freight is 100% willingly supporting the chi-coms....

Any injuries or deaths from harbor freight products are the fault of the purchaser...
View Quote
Not disagreeing with you there.  Any store you go to physically will not have American made products.

US JACK, sure, but that's not sold locally!
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 10:51:41 AM EDT
[#9]
There's a limit to just how shitty a grade of metal they can use to make something like jack stands. Again, 99% of that shit isn't worth hauling home if they gave it away free.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 10:52:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Not disagreeing with you there.  Any store you go to physically will not have American made products.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So order some.  

They’ll be here in 2-3 days. Pretty easy.

I’ve done it a lot.

Edit

Semi truck supply stores will probably have made in the USA jack stands. Not just car sizes however.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 10:54:11 AM EDT
[#11]
My dad bought one of their cheap auto-darkening welding helmets. He admitted to closing one eye the first time he used it.

I'll only buy their shit that wont maim or kill me when it fails.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 10:56:40 AM EDT
[#12]
We use these HF stands at work. I refuse to use them. Save $50 to pay out multiple millions in a death settlement isn’t very bright but if it makes the monthly numbers look good that’s all that counts.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 10:59:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Was going to trade in the pair of murder jacks I have at work.

Now I think some destructive testing will be more entertaining.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 11:07:16 AM EDT
[#14]
That extra $20-$30 you saved at HF could cost you an injury or your life. No thanks.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 11:10:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
One of my acquaintances stopped by the other day.  He had some red stands in his trunk, looked identical to the Harbor Freight stands, but they weren't, and he bought them on eBay.  The locking paws were shallow, similar to the original Harbor Freight failure.

I told him.  He said, "sometimes I don't even use them, and I really don't get *under* the car."

Good luck!

On the other hand, my Harbor Freight orange jack stands seem to be fine, as they are from 10+ years ago, and weren't included from the recall.  I also have some of their silver jacks, have worked fine for me.  I've always been somewhat uneasy being under a vehicle supported by jack stands regardless of who manufactures them.
View Quote

I have a whole fleet of the Orange ones.
Won't get under a car with the smaller ones, pretty much only use them for brake work.
Also: I make it a point to leave the jack in place and if I have the wheels off, I slide them under the vehicle.

Really want a lift, hopefully getting one soon.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 11:10:56 AM EDT
[#16]
I'd be interested to see at what point the "zipper failure" occurred.  

How much weight did it take.  

Because the old jacks with shitty welds never failed that way.

Also. Seemed an awful lot like an ad for US Jacks to me
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 11:13:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

A hydraulic log splitter with a pressure gauge can answer that pretty quick.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 11:16:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Was going to trade in the pair of murder jacks I have at work.

Now I think some destructive testing will be more entertaining.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 11:20:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
HF screwdrivers and ratchets? Okay.

HF jack stands? Yeah, not trusting my life to those.
View Quote

+1

If failure would harm me or irreparably damage the work piece, I'm shopping elsewhere.

Kharn
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 11:25:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
Of course, he did say they sent them to him, I'm assuming free of charge.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 11:26:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Agreed.

US Jacks isn’t the only American made jack stands like he claims. Hein-Werner still makes them here, is a premium quality brand that pro’s trust, and they use the style of construction with the weld. If the replacement HF models are failing, it’s likely due to terrible quality China steel and/or abuse of owners by doing things like plopping their diesel trucks on them.

http://heinwerner-automotive.com/ProductCategory/Stands/617

Edit: Sadly, please ignore my post. I see Hein-Werner was sold to a Taiwan company and only assembles their stands in the US of “US made and global made components”, so it’s likely not truly US made anymore.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 11:27:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 11:33:31 AM EDT
[#23]
I don’t have any from HF but I do from Walmart and Pep boys.   In general I only get under the car on ramps.  When I do use jack stands, I double them up on each spot.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 11:37:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Saw one yesterday that the guy said he had a vw golf on them. You can clearly see that there was no weld penetration. But it didn’t fail into pieces, it was just the seam where the bend meets. Still need to be taken out of service immediately, technically better than the old design
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 11:47:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 11:57:23 AM EDT
[#26]
I had my car supported on these stands in the garage and I came inside to look up a part on my computer.

While I was upstairs I heard a HUGE fucking bang that was louder than a 50 cal round being fired, so I thought maybe the car fell off the jack stands or they broke or something.

Went back out to the garage and I couldn't see anything immediately suspect.  The car was still on the stands and they were still leveled but I did nothing something sketchy later on
There was a huge seam crack along the garage foundation that was never there before, and its about half an inch higher on one side.

I think the actual garage slab broke in half from having all of the engine front weight on those small jack stands.
Scared the hell out of me and ever since then I have been worried about my jack stands,  whether or not they received some kind of shock that damaged them permanently.

If mine are part of the recalls I'll be taking them back.  Then I can have some peace of minds about it.

ETA:  Yep mine are part of the recall.  I'll be  exchanging them out ASAP....
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 11:57:34 AM EDT
[#27]
I need to check to see where I bought my jackstands. I think Advance Auto and it was many, many years ago.

The one thing I've always done is to get the heaviest duty stands I could afford. The ones I have are rated at 6 tons. The largest vehicle I have is an F150.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 12:04:01 PM EDT
[#28]
I had grabbed a set of the 6 tons for overkill.  Looks like they just kill
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 12:11:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I had my car supported on these stands in the garage and I came inside to look up a part on my computer.

While I was upstairs I heard a HUGE fucking bang that was louder than a 50 cal round being fired, so I thought maybe the car fell off the jack stands or they broke or something.

Went back out to the garage and I couldn't see anything immediately suspect.  The car was still on the stands and they were still leveled but I did nothing something sketchy later on
There was a huge seam crack along the garage foundation that was never there before, and its about half an inch higher on one side.

I think the actual garage slab broke in half from having all of the engine front weight on those small jack stands.
Scared the hell out of me and ever since then I have been worried about my jack stands,  whether or not they received some kind of shock that damaged them permanently.

If mine are part of the recalls I'll be taking them back.  Then I can have some peace of minds about it.

ETA:  Yep mine are part of the recall.  I'll be  exchanging them out ASAP....
View Quote
Wow.  Concrete loses!
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 12:11:52 PM EDT
[#30]
When did we stop using concrete blocks for jack stands?? I feel like the world has moved on and I'm stuck in the past here......
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 12:32:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Took mine (3 ton model) back two weeks ago and got my gift card no questions asked.  

Was gonna buy their 6 ton model to upgrade for safety but eff that noise.  

I'll go with a trusted brand next time.

I've still got a separate set of their 3 ton model that aren't in the recall but they'll be moved to rear end use (not front engine use) and I'll still double up for safety.

Chyneese still tryna kill us!

Link Posted: 6/13/2020 12:43:52 PM EDT
[#32]
I had a different kind (pins, not rack).
I gave them away because I could not trust them.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 12:46:15 PM EDT
[#33]
If you're buying Jack stands from Harbor Freight you're doing it wrong.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 12:52:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
If you're buying Jack stands from Harbor Freight you're doing it wrong.
View Quote

I dont think this is true at all tho.   They've tested the Pittsburgh pro stuff against snapon and it came out remarkably well.

Also their jacks were so good that Snapon actually sued them for copying the design, at 1/10th the price.
There is a reason harbor freight does so well.  A lot of their stuff is just plain GOOD!

The jack stands I would still trust mine honestly, but the problem is that after the huge concrete fracture that happened, I'm not sure if the metal is fatigued or not.
It could have fatigued the metal now and along with the recall theres no reason for me to keep them.  

I'll be getting the gift card and buying another one of their SnapOn clone jacks because those suckers are good. and then I'll go buy the stands at somewhere else.

Snap-on -VS- Mac -VS- Matco -VS- Pittsburgh Pro (Harbor Freight) - 1/2" Breaker Bars (MADE IN USA)

Link Posted: 6/13/2020 1:02:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Who could have seen that one coming?

Link Posted: 6/13/2020 1:06:08 PM EDT
[#36]
I didn't even know there was a recall

Cheap stands don’t worry me for say supporting an axle that has been removed entirely.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 1:09:12 PM EDT
[#37]
I use their Daytona series floor jacks, but my stands are the steel pin based ones.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 1:11:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I use their Daytona series floor jacks, but my stands are the steel pin based ones.
View Quote

Yeah I have had good luck with their jacks and breaker bars and whatnot.
It's suprisingly good quality.

You know snapon had to sue them because the jacks are a copy of the snapon and 1/10th the price lol.  
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 1:17:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Yeah I have had good luck with their jacks and breaker bars and whatnot.
It's suprisingly good quality.

You know snapon had to sue them because the jacks are a copy of the snapon and 1/10th the price lol.  
View Quote

I remember seeing the comparison flyer then I saw they were suing HF because they were like identical - like from the same factory kind of identical lol

I have this one, it's badass.

Link Posted: 6/13/2020 3:31:50 PM EDT
[#40]
It's just as good as [insert American brand] just 1/3rd the price.

Link Posted: 6/13/2020 3:49:54 PM EDT
[#41]
There is a lesson to be learned here....

If you want some truly cheap assed disposable garbage tools, go buy at Harbor Freight.  Need some disposable acid brushes for glue?  Fine.  How about inexpensive nitrile gloves?  Ditto.  

Need a critical tool that your life may well depend on?  Harbor Freight is NOT the place to buy your tools!   Really, what did you expect from HF?  Everything is made  out of Chineseium and absolute crap.  I swear the company spends $3 on advertising and coupons for every dollar spent on actual product.....

Link Posted: 6/13/2020 3:53:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Won't get under a car with the smaller ones, pretty much only use them for brake work.
Also: I make it a point to leave the jack in place and if I have the wheels off, I slide them under the vehicle.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck!

Don't know if you've heard of these, but they're worth checking out.

https://www.quickjack.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMItfSumsf_6QIVDU2GCh2Y-AQmEAAYASAAEgJvEfD_BwE

Portable too, if you want to take them to the track, or a friend/relatives house.

Another advantage over a lift: with a lift, the concrete slab needs to be strong enough to support the entire weight of the vehicle over a pretty small footprint. If the concrete isn't thick/strong enough, it ends up cracking. The Quickjacks spread the weight over an area similar to a vehicle's wheelbase.

Get the 12v version. It seems to raise faster, and can be run off the vehicle's battery or a 12v jumppack (not restricted to being within range of an outlet), so you can use it at the track or a driveway etc.

In the locked position it's more solid than jackstands.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 7:55:16 PM EDT
[#43]
I couldn't tell from the video; are the Quickjacks attached to each other in someway? Left to right so-to-speak.

If not I'd be worried they might want to tilt, left or right, and fall over.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 8:40:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I couldn't tell from the video; are the Quickjacks attached to each other in someway? Left to right so-to-speak.

If not I'd be worried they might want to tilt, left or right, and fall over.
View Quote

They're hydraulically operated. Both left and right are plugged into the same hydraulic unit via QD hoses, and raise and lower simultaneously.

This video shows how the whole kit is setup. Only need to do the bleeding before the first use. After that, it's just a matter of positioning the jacks, connecting the hoses and power, and pushing the Up button.
The Official QuickJack Setup Tutorial

I did have to separately purchase the pinch-weld blocks, as those aren't included with the kit. Another advantage is that you can put them away so they take up less garage space when you're done with them.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 8:49:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

https://www.quickjack.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMItfSumsf_6QIVDU2GCh2Y-AQmEAAYASAAEgJvEfD_BwE

Portable too, if you want to take them to the track, or a friend/relatives house.

Another advantage over a lift: with a lift, the concrete slab needs to be strong enough to support the entire weight of the vehicle over a pretty small footprint. If the concrete isn't thick/strong enough, it ends up cracking. The Quickjacks spread the weight over an area similar to a vehicle's wheelbase.

Get the 12v version. It seems to raise faster, and can be run off the vehicle's battery or a 12v jumppack (not restricted to being within range of an outlet), so you can use it at the track or a driveway etc.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck!

I have seen and looked into quickjacks.
Problem is most of what I have around here is either lifted or lowered. Both are problematic with those.
Garage floor is 6' thick and has a ton of bar in it. I specced it that way knowing I might wind up with a lift at some point. Also have a 12' ceiling for the same reason.

That said, I am thinking about a 4 post with trolley jacks instead of a 2 post. More stable, movable, clear undercar access, no door fouling and can double as an extra parking spot.

Funny thing is I have only had one jackstand ever fail on me and that was a USA made Craftsman. It folded on the seam and the only thing that saved the truck from dumping off it was that I had left the jack under the rear diff. Still have the jackstand, it is holding the tongue up on my little flatbed trailer (about 50lbs of tongue weight)
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 8:53:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
There are some items I consider necessary to not cheap out on, for example tires.

I would put jack stands in this category
View Quote

My guide to Harbor Freight used to be, will the failure of this tool damage something expensive, or injure me?  If so it was a no buy, but that rules out so much stuff and other stuff is just such crap I just quit going there.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 8:58:12 PM EDT
[#47]
JFC I even quit buying zip ties at Horrible Freight cause they break when you tighten them. Jack stands? Pass.

Link Posted: 6/13/2020 9:01:32 PM EDT
[#48]
I have a set of the 6 ton jack stands however the number on them is 69596 which is not part of the recall. They look exactly the same, maybe I should get rid of them anyways? I always put 2 sets of jack stands and the wheels whenever I'm under the car. I guess if I have to ask I already know the answer....
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 9:07:29 PM EDT
[#50]
As an infrequent amateur mechanic,  I have a lot of cheap stuff, jack stands included.   Not being completely stupid,  I use cribbing as insurance.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top