BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 6:17:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Yay!!!!

Just pronounced an Auto-ped (Semi vs Transient) about 20 mins ago... Been a hectic night. Hopefully it will chill out today.

Stay safe brothers and sisters.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 6:24:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd love to hear all the stories you all have to tell.  And thank you for all that you do!
View Quote
77 Year old farmer out checking his fence line on a 4 wheeler.

4 wheeler flips and he ends up in a ditch with a busted femur.

This dude CRAWLS for roughly 1/4 mile back to his truck, through a soy bean field, with a busted femur. Mind you, the bone was almost poking through the skin.

Gets back to his truck, no cell phone signal, so he DRIVES HIMSELF to the nearest decent road and waits almost 20 minutes for a a vehicle to randomly drive by.

We get there and this dude is sitting in the front seat of his truck, pissed off that he can't get a cell phone signal because all he cares about is that somebody finishes checking his fence line.

We put his leg in traction ( which hurts like hell) and get him loaded. 20 minute ride on dirt roads to nearest Hospital.

Dude absolutely REFUSED pain meds! We carry morphine and Fentnyl but this guy wanted none of it. Just kept worrying about his fence line.

These old farmers out here are some seriously tough sum bitches.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 7:02:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Started as an EMT 11 years ago, been a Medic for almost 8 and have made the move over to the Engine.  I still love running medical calls and training new guys which means I have to transport, but the fact that we only have to ride in on the ones we want so they get experience is wonderful.

Talk to some of the people who I used to work with at EMS and their working conditions still suck, mandatory overtime cause they can’t keep staffed, pay is still low, and calls just keep ticking up.  Feel bad for them, it’s a fun job but certainly aspects that suck, pay needs to increase and there isn’t much of a career ladder for the field.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 7:30:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I took the EMT-Basic as a gift to myself for my 50th birthday.
I enjoyed working part time with local 911 system. I took the EMT-Intermediate.
EMT-I phased out so I took the Advanced EMT class.

At 53 I went to medic school. I'm 56 now. I left my desk job last year to work at a Paramedic Crew Chief in a busy 911 system.

My only regret is not doing it sooner.

Pay scale for our agency:
Basic  34000
Advanced 38000
Medic 44000
Crew Chief Medic 48500

There is plenty of overtime available.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 8:33:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Been at it 13 years (Basic, thaaats right ), I'm even on duty today.

Link Posted: 5/21/2018 8:58:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'd love to hear all the stories you all have to tell.  And thank you for all that you do!
View Quote
If you try to kill yourself with a 270, don't tilt your head back too much or it will just erase your face.

If you try to kill yourself with a 7.62x54R, it will blow brain matter and skull fragments 20-30 feet away.

When you cut the umbilical cord from a preterm dead baby still hanging from it's mom's pink bits in a toilet, it doesn't hurt the mother.

Yep, lifetime of great memories over 50K+ EMS calls.

ETA:  I quit as a medic 2 years ago.  Don't miss the work at all, though I do miss some of my coworkers.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 12:24:04 PM EDT
[#7]
70 yr old man wrapped around a PTO shaft.  We get there the old farmer is setting in the kitchen drinking a cup of coffee.  He looks at his Granddaughter who saw the whole thing and says" why the hell did you call the ambulance".  She answers" Grandpa you went around at least twice."   Werent no big deal he replies.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 12:27:34 PM EDT
[#8]
It’s funny because it’s true....
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 8:12:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 8:19:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It depends on location, cert level, and employer.

My current employer pays.

EMT here will get you $9.50/hr (6 months of class and clinical total)
AEMT will get you $13.75/hr (1 year of class and clinical total)
Paramedic will get you $17.80/hr (2 years of class and clinical total, unless you opt for a degree in which case add another 6-12 months of biology and chem)

AMR is the largest provider in the country and control most of the service areas. We pay better than they do. There is a reason there is a shortage of paramedics country wide. The smart EMT's opt for other jobs before they go medic. The ones left are gluttons for punishment or have a co dependent streak matching most nurses.

You want a career? Go be a nurse. They actually make decent money. An ASN, associates (2 years class/clinical with about a year of pre reqs) will start here fresh out of school at $30+/hr. New ER nurses here make $35+/hr and experienced ICU/crit care with 10 years or more are pulling down $60+/hr. As a paramedic, unless you are on a fire dept or flight, will never make more than the starting level RN wage.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So what you’re saying is you don’t recommend people get into the business? What do they pay you anyway? I need a career.

Paramedic will get you $17.80/hr (2 years of class and clinical total, unless you opt for a degree in which case add another 6-12 months of biology and chem)

AMR is the largest provider in the country and control most of the service areas. We pay better than they do. There is a reason there is a shortage of paramedics country wide. The smart EMT's opt for other jobs before they go medic. The ones left are gluttons for punishment or have a co dependent streak matching most nurses.

You want a career? Go be a nurse. They actually make decent money. An ASN, associates (2 years class/clinical with about a year of pre reqs) will start here fresh out of school at $30+/hr. New ER nurses here make $35+/hr and experienced ICU/crit care with 10 years or more are pulling down $60+/hr. As a paramedic, unless you are on a fire dept or flight, will never make more than the starting level RN wage.
Fwiw 18 months of school got me started at $32/hr
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 8:24:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Love our paramedics.  I’ve been in more fights inside the ambulance, trying to help those guys, than outside.  Always a good time trying to control a tweaker or a psych case in a tiny metal box with sharp corners, while one of the medics is attempting to get an IV into their neck at the same time.  Not to mention that they’re generally very skilled and if they can’t get you to the ER alive, then no one can.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 9:07:24 PM EDT
[#12]
28 years volunteer fire and EMS.
Retired seven years ago.
Carry on Gents.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 9:13:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Hurray NEMESIS 3 reporting!
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 9:28:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

77 Year old farmer out checking his fence line on a 4 wheeler.

4 wheeler flips and he ends up in a ditch with a busted femur.

This dude CRAWLS for roughly 1/4 mile back to his truck, through a soy bean field, with a busted femur. Mind you, the bone was almost poking through the skin.

Gets back to his truck, no cell phone signal, so he DRIVES HIMSELF to the nearest decent road and waits almost 20 minutes for a a vehicle to randomly drive by.

We get there and this dude is sitting in the front seat of his truck, pissed off that he can't get a cell phone signal because all he cares about is that somebody finishes checking his fence line.

We put his leg in traction ( which hurts like hell) and get him loaded. 20 minute ride on dirt roads to nearest Hospital.

Dude absolutely REFUSED pain meds! We carry morphine and Fentnyl but this guy wanted none of it. Just kept worrying about his fence line.

These old farmers out here are some seriously tough sum bitches.
View Quote
No, they are all pansies because they don’t lift at the gym.
My great uncle was walking around after  a week after getting his hip replaced at age 78.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 10:29:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Medic student attempting to start an IV?

"Sir, you are going to feel a series of pricks in your arm."
View Quote
I have a co-worker that told a woman she was going to feel a little prick.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 10:40:05 PM EDT
[#17]
31.5 years in L.A. County. I had a PM license for 30, on the squad for 18 years. I would never say I've seen it all but I've seen enough and you never know what kind of fucked up shit people will get themselves into. Retired in 2013. I wouldn't trade he experience for anything. There were mostly good times with lots of laughs but in the end the calls for me were black and white. It was either some puker that had no business bothering us or some some poor bastard whose misery I didn't want to be a witness to.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 10:44:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
70 yr old man wrapped around a PTO shaft.  We get there the old farmer is setting in the kitchen drinking a cup of coffee.  He looks at his Granddaughter who saw the whole thing and says" why the hell did you call the ambulance".  She answers" Grandpa you went around at least twice."   Werent no big deal he replies.
View Quote
Had to remove a guy from a commercial bread kneader for the coroner. He hardly looked human.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 11:11:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 12:57:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
3 a.m., after being up all day/night running with a mid-30's, healthy, panic-attacked patient:

Patient: "I'm having chest pain, and I  just left the hospital today. I was in there for chest pain."

Medic: "Why did the hospital release you?"

Patient: "They didn't. They wouldn't let me smoke cigarettes so I left and came home before they could do my cardiac tests"

Medic: "Did you come home to smoke cigarettes?"

Patient: "Yes, and now I have chest pain again and need to go back to the hospital."
View Quote
Remember how you got home from the hospital?
Now do it again, backwards.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 3:45:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So what you’re saying is you don’t recommend people get into the business? What do they pay you anyway? I need a career.

Yeah, I know. Why do you think I told him to skip it and do nursing?

Also love how all the RN's look down on us as if we have less education or a weaker scope when we have damn near identical educations. Not to mention the fact that a nurse can bridge to medic in 6 weeks but for me to bridge to RN would take another 6-8 months of mostly clinical bullshit and it wouldn't be recognized in most places.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 3:46:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Love our paramedics.  I’ve been in more fights inside the ambulance, trying to help those guys, than outside.  Always a good time trying to control a tweaker or a psych case in a tiny metal box with sharp corners, while one of the medics is attempting to get an IV into their neck at the same time.  Not to mention that they’re generally very skilled and if they can’t get you to the ER alive, then no one can.
View Quote
I don't fight, I ketamine.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 3:46:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I know of a Hospital that wanted to do something special for the RNs during Nurse’s Week to show them what they thought of them; they gave them SUCKERS.
View Quote
LOLOLOL
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 3:50:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Every minute sucks?

Eat more snacks?

Last 3 letters in problems?
View Quote
I always joked that it was...

Earn
Money
Sleeping

Lady I knew said it was....

Extra
Marital
Sex

Because of all the banging that was going on.  A guy and a gal all by themselves for 24 hours, often with nothing but tv to pass the time (rural stations with low call volume).

My friend was not a ho, she wrote books
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 3:56:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Regardless of the crazy stories I read here about your daily misery, whale patients or time to Narcan Billy for the 4th time this month, there are people here, alive because of what you do.  Father’s that watched their 2 kids grow up and graduate college, and husbands that celebrate 30 years with the love of their life, their bride that have no business being alive anymore due to catastrophic events.  I’m proof that CPR works even in the most dire of consequences and I thank all of you for your tireless work. 2/28/98 was the day I died and they day you brought me back.  What can I possibly say that would be an appropriate “Thank You”, for saving my life?????
View Quote
I'd tell you what I should have said to my first CPR patient (he survived).

Don't go into cardiac arrest again in a few months
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 7:04:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
@Miami_JBT what do you call a guy who failed the fireman test?

OFFICER.......LOLOLOLOL

J/K bro.
View All Quotes
@Lug1. Who secures the scene to make sure it is safe for your gentle, easy to rip gloves wearing hands?

Cops.

Just flash creds and get your Blue Label Glocks.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 10:06:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Also love how all the RN's look down on us as if we have less education or a weaker scope when we have damn near identical educations. Not to mention the fact that a nurse can bridge to medic in 6 weeks but for me to bridge to RN would take another 6-8 months of mostly clinical bullshit and it wouldn't be recognized in most places.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, fwiw I thanked the EMS who delivered a new pt last night and acknowledged ems week.

But to be honest there is a significant education gap and a much different scope of practice. I wouldn't look down on anyone for doing a different job.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 10:45:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Hey I helped..  I was normally the guy doing chest compressions.  Also got called more than a few times for lift assist..  :)

Retired now but I've been a cop for 25 years.  I have huge respect for the EMS crews I've worked with those years.

I sure caught some shit though when some of the guys I know picked me up after a MC accident....
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 11:55:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
We have different jobs.  I finished school with a very intelligent guy who was a medic for years. He was in an accelerated bridge program.  
He said he had serious trouble getting the bed side stuff. He’d coded two people at once in the middle of nowhere and would have rather done that than bedside clinical exams.
Most nurses who work acute care would have issues crossing to EMS. working with the snapshot you guys deal with every day would be way out of their comfort zone.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 2:14:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
@Lug1. Who secures the scene to make sure it is safe for your gentle, easy to rip gloves wearing hands?

Cops.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/86/dd/8e/86dd8ecf5c283a186c87948afd89fb3e.jpg

View All Quotes
In the immortal words of John McClane, light em if you got em.

Love ya blue!!!   @miami_jbt
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 2:18:19 PM EDT
[#31]
When giving Narcan, push slooooowly.  Push the balance at the dock, nurses catch the wrath.  Hahahahahahhahahah
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 2:21:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So what you're saying is you don't recommend people get into the business? What do they pay you anyway? I need a career.

One of my best friends is a fire captain/PARAMEDIC and an RN.

Shits different yo.  I'm not saying one is better than the other, having been a paramedic over 20 years myself.  But you aren't an RN and they aren't the same jobs.

Different is ok.  Go to nursing school if you want nursing pay.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 2:22:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Cops.

View Quote
Hey, you guys are awesome.  When I was a medic, I had great support from LE, and many were former medics who still had numbers.  Some were my personal friends.  Where I worked, LE and fire/EMS were very tight, and we all worked together.  There was no rivalry.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 2:47:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Passed registry back in 2003 and now am in school for EMTB again, class tonight.

Volunteer Dept of my town but it will be good to get back into the game.

Can't wait to start Clinicals this week.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 3:03:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Emt at a rural volly dept for a year...

Much better than big cities
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 3:50:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Emt at a rural volly dept for a year...

Much better than big cities
View Quote
Do you work big cities, too?  I'm wondering about your comparison.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 4:15:22 PM EDT
[#37]
@lafmedic As a LPSO Deputy, I cannot tell you how many times I said "have Acadian in route." Rode in the back of ambulances many time, a few as a patient. Got into a fight in the back of one with a EDP on I49 late one night. My best story is when I delivered a baby in the parking lot of Early's food store in the wee hours, waiting on you guys. You guys finally showed up when the deed was done. Oh, I gassed half of downtown Lafayette one night smoking out a bank robber from the attic of a shotgun house. The medics were parked a little too close and had to decon themselves before working on everyone else. I was the only fool on the perimeter with a gas mask. The channel 3 live reporter even got a little whiff that night. AHHHHHHH the memories. Thank you boys and girls for being there to help us survive. Things would get dicey and stressful, but we had a lot of fun too.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 4:20:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol, no

The resistance EMS has had to improved educational standards does not help the PM vs RN "wage gap" either + some other issues with that "argument" you used.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 4:31:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 4:53:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Well, fwiw I thanked the EMS who delivered a new pt last night and acknowledged ems week.

But to be honest there is a significant education gap and a much different scope of practice. I wouldn't look down on anyone for doing a different job.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For the cert mills, I agree. For the degree courses, not much. 3 of my fellow medics have done the ASN program at the local college and are now ER nurses, 2 are paying their way through their BSN currently. All 3 said the difference in schooling, with the exception of pahrm, was marginal at best. My pre reqs for the medic degree were the exact same as the RN program.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 4:57:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

We have different jobs.  I finished school with a very intelligent guy who was a medic for years. He was in an accelerated bridge program.  
He said he had serious trouble getting the bed side stuff. He’d coded two people at once in the middle of nowhere and would have rather done that than bedside clinical exams.
Most nurses who work acute care would have issues crossing to EMS. working with the snapshot you guys deal with every day would be way out of their comfort zone.
View Quote
The bedside is why I never went RN. I can't handle 12 hours of needy bullshit. I currently work in an ER as a side job, and hate every minute of it. I did not go to school to wipe ass, and I think the absolute worst of people who are capable of doing for themselves, but unwilling. I don't think I'm long for this job. The street pays a lot less, but the job is much better.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 5:02:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
lol, no

The resistance EMS has had to improved educational standards does not help the PM vs RN "wage gap" either + some other issues with that "argument" you used.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol, no

With cert mills being pushed by every AMR affiliate I have little argument against that specifically. However, the few of us running around with dual science and PM degrees, from colleges that expect a lot more from their students and graduates, it's marginal.

Cert medics are the bane of our existence, and I'll take the pepsi challenge against any of them any day. It's pretty easy to tell by working with them which ones were milled and which ones went to college.

Edit: And I know which ones I would want working on my family. It sure as hell isn't the shit cert medics.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 5:56:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
When giving Narcan, push slooooowly.  Push the balance at the dock, nurses catch the wrath.  Hahahahahahhahahah
View Quote
Lol, need a Basic partner?  That's my speed
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 6:05:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
In the immortal words of John McClane, light em if you got em.

Love ya blue!!!   @miami_jbt
View All Quotes
CO, EMS, and FF are all family to me. Same with Mil. We all wear the uniform and serve.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 6:09:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Hey, you guys are awesome.  When I was a medic, I had great support from LE, and many were former medics who still had numbers.  Some were my personal friends.  Where I worked, LE and fire/EMS were very tight, and we all worked together.  There was no rivalry.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cops.

The rivalry for me is friendly. Good folks in EMS. They patched the wife and me up in 2013 when we got T-Boned on the bike. EMS arrived on scene and saw me giving instructions to stopped motorists to secure the scene as I was crawling to my wife to where she was thrown off the bike. EMS said, "you must be a cop, we got it now. You can relax and focus on not dying."
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 11:00:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
@lafmedic As a LPSO Deputy, I cannot tell you how many times I said "have Acadian in route." Rode in the back of ambulances many time, a few as a patient. Got into a fight in the back of one with a EDP on I49 late one night. My best story is when I delivered a baby in the parking lot of Early's food store in the wee hours, waiting on you guys. You guys finally showed up when the deed was done. Oh, I gassed half of downtown Lafayette one night smoking out a bank robber from the attic of a shotgun house. The medics were parked a little too close and had to decon themselves before working on everyone else. I was the only fool on the perimeter with a gas mask. The channel 3 live reporter even got a little whiff that night. AHHHHHHH the memories. Thank you boys and girls for being there to help us survive. Things would get dicey and stressful, but we had a lot of fun too.
View Quote
We crossed somewhere.  I resigned last year.  In youngsville fd now
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top