Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/19/2020 4:25:43 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 7:51:40 PM EDT
[#1]
OP, do plenty of research on how to invest before you do ANYTHING. I recommend reading Simple Path to Wealth and maybe some Dave Ramsey for the basics

95% of guys here will recommend against putting it into a single stock (especially Boeing right now, they’re not done falling). Check out building a Roth IRA so you can hide the growth from taxes through a company like Vanguard. Invest in simple to understand funds like a target retirement fund or S&P 500

Learn the basics of compounding interest- 50k invested at your age will make you many hundreds of thousands when you retire
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 8:01:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Its generally bad to try to time the market, but in general, it doesn't look like we are anywhere near bottom.

If we have a short time of keeping all these businesses closed and we can get back to normal quickly, then the market has a good chance of recovering, probably slowly though.

If we have a long shelter in place type thing, then who knows, may take years and years.

Might want to hold onto cash if you can at this time, but of course, always good to educate yourself as mentioned above.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 12:27:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Please what ever you do don't buy Boeing it is a terrible stock. Nikki Haley just announced early today that she is leaving the board. I would stay out of this market at this time if you are not in it. Buying a market index will be a safer play at one point. Right now we are in a bear market that could lead to a recession or worst.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 12:33:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Google “whole market funds” Pick a few.  Throw in money and forget about it.  
Don’t wager it all on one company.   To much real risk of bankruptcy.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 12:39:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I would recommend a well diversified mutual / index fund for that kind of money. If you want to take say, 10% of it and put it on one of the risky stocks like an airline or cruise line that is down 80%+ go for it but I wouldn't gamble much more than that.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 1:44:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd educate yourself first.  You're very ignorant.

You are never too poor to learn basic finance.  You're poor because you refuse to learn basic finance.

Broke is not having money.  Poor is a state of mind. Sure it can wait.  It can wait until you are 80 and can't afford food. It can always wait.

I wouldn't start with single stocks.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 2:05:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 7:30:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No, I would not go into a single stock, that would be stupid.

I've spent all my time investing in myself and my business, just haven't had time to worry about the account that was in good hands. I know I'm WAAAAAAY behind the curve.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd educate yourself first.  You're very ignorant.  

You are never too poor to learn basic finance.  You're poor because you refuse to learn basic finance.

Broke is not having money.  Poor is a state of mind. Sure it can wait.  It can wait until you are 80 and can't afford food. It can always wait.

I wouldn't start with single stocks.
No, I would not go into a single stock, that would be stupid.

I've spent all my time investing in myself and my business, just haven't had time to worry about the account that was in good hands. I know I'm WAAAAAAY behind the curve.

Way behind? How so?

I've got very little in retirement accounts at 31. I'm ahead of most people. Bc I invested in my business and myself.  If you did that even half way well,  you'll beat every single guy here debating 1 ticker symbol vs another every week.

Most people major in the minors.  

If you can minor in the majors this retirement account stuff doesn't even matter.  

I don't care about my account bc mathematically I can't.  I care about things that will pay me 2 or 300k a month as I age.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 10:08:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 2:05:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Op seams pretty smart to me. Congratulations on being out of this bear market. I am watching the p/e ratios on the majors indexes and VIX.
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 2:17:24 AM EDT
[#11]
I’m mulling moving everything out now and waiting till it starts to tick back up. I have a feeling it’s gonna hit 10k
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top