Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/16/2019 9:17:41 PM EDT
If you are looking for something to watch, Hacksaw is not a bad movie.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 9:19:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Very good movie
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 9:22:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Anyone catch the Mel Gibson cameo?
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 9:24:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Not exactly the biggest steaming pile of shit, but it came close.

Link Posted: 2/16/2019 9:34:55 PM EDT
[#4]
LOL it was so bad it was hilarious!
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 10:54:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Very good movie
View Quote
Yep.  Friendly bump back to top.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 10:59:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Watching now...definitely has some anti-gun innuendo but the combat scenes are pretty decent.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 11:00:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I stopped watching and it went to DVR when live PD started. So does he end up touching a gun?
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 11:01:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Watched it earlier today.  Love that movie.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 11:02:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Is that the one with Clint Eastwood and Grenada?
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 11:12:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Watching it right now....

I saw it a while back....remember the combat scenes being brutal.

Link Posted: 2/16/2019 11:19:14 PM EDT
[#11]
I thought combat was awesome
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 11:21:13 PM EDT
[#12]
The Thin Red Line was better.

That's right, I said it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 11:23:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That's right, I said it.
View Quote
You should feel bad about saying that...it is the only movie that I've walked out of before it was over.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 11:24:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That's right, I said it.
View Quote
You were dropped on your head as a child,  weren't you?  
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 11:24:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You should feel bad about saying that...it is the only movie that I've walked out of before it was over.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's right, I said it.
Try the original one
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 11:25:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
You’re thinking of Heat Heartbreak Ridge.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 11:27:50 PM EDT
[#17]
One of the worst acted movies I have ever seen.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 11:27:59 PM EDT
[#18]
I liked it but a lot of people here trashed it... mainly for the guy using a dead body for a shield.

I like Vince Vaughn but he was seriously miscast as the platoon sergeant.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 11:30:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That's right, I said it.
View Quote
Yeah, John Travolta was real convincing as a brigadier general.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 11:32:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Vince Vaughn’s character was a goof and the combat is ridiculous.
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 1:28:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 1:43:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 1:48:45 AM EDT
[#23]
My children attended the day care located at the church named after Desmond T. Doss. The man was a true American hero. Cut the shit
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 2:47:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Looked up the location of Hacksaw Ridge....this is close N26 14.878 E127 43.823

Checking out some of the pics taken from there I can't imagine trying to scale that knowing what was waiting up top...

Link Posted: 2/17/2019 2:52:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That's right, I said it.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 11:48:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
My children attended the day care located at the church named after Desmond T. Doss. The man was a true American hero. Cut the shit
View Quote
So because a movie portrays a real life hero that movie cannot be criticized? Get the fuck outta here. The combat portrayed in this movie is laughable and over the top goofy.
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 11:56:05 AM EDT
[#27]
I made the mistake of reading a biography of Doss prior to seeing the movie.

That made the movie into a disappointing mess.
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 12:13:48 PM EDT
[#28]
I enjoyed it. Yes, Hollywood style overselling, but still a good movie. If for no other reason than that Doss was a real man. To go into that without a gun is just hardcore.
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 3:19:13 PM EDT
[#29]
I also hate how Hollywood changes facts to fit their stories. Clearly in the movie it’s portrayed as Doss and his units first action when in reality they had already faught on Guam and Doss received two bronze stars with “V” for his actions there. His actions on Okinawa just solidified what they already knew from their previous engagements, that he would do anything for them.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 12:16:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Watched it last night, and interesting to find out in the movie that Doss' unit was fighting with the 96 ID. My maternal grandmother's younger brother was in the 96 ID and was wounded on Okinawa. I don't know if it was before or after Hacksaw Ridge actions. My great uncle started in the Army in some sort of college whiz-kid type intelligence unit, but they were "converted" to infantry late in the war. Most of them were casualties at Okinawa. I think only 30 out of 200 weren't injured or killed.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 12:35:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Mel Gibson played it by the book.  That is why hollywood wouldn’t touch it.

Everything you see in the movie, including the grenade hit, is true.  Doss did much more than what is in the movie.

Is it so hard to believe what Doss did was true as portrayed ?   If you don’t believe that’s ok, but in the end his men did.

That is all that counts.
View Quote
Wait, are you saying that someone used a man's severed torso as a shield, advanced towards an enemy line, and killed them all while one-arming a BAR? That actually happened?

idonbelivit.jpg

Is Doss's story inspiring? Sure. Was this a good movie? Hell no.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 12:46:01 AM EDT
[#32]
It was almost as bad as American Sniper.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 12:46:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

That's right, I said it.
View Quote
I actually 100% agree. I really really enjoyed TTRL. Something about the movie has always made it seem more real to me than most other war movies. Hacksaw Ridge was an inspiring movie about an American hero but the film just felt like one big corny joke.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 9:20:13 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Watched it last night, and interesting to find out in the movie that Doss' unit was fighting with the 96 ID. My maternal grandmother's younger brother was in the 96 ID and was wounded on Okinawa. I don't know if it was before or after Hacksaw Ridge actions. My great uncle started in the Army in some sort of college whiz-kid type intelligence unit, but they were "converted" to infantry late in the war. Most of them were casualties at Okinawa. I think only 30 out of 200 weren't injured or killed.
View Quote
Cool connection. I read several many hundred pages here and there about that. The good infantry officers were pissed.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 9:22:20 AM EDT
[#35]
I mean, about the infantry, the part that actually takes and holds ground and is arguably the most difficult, multidisciplinary arm, always getting the sad sacks.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 10:09:10 AM EDT
[#36]
It’s been a while since I’ve seen the movie, but I remember thinking why didn’t the Japs just cut the big rope ladder that they all had to scale up to get to the battle zone?
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 10:39:09 AM EDT
[#37]
Was Vince Vaughn's helmet too small or his head too big?
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 10:49:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I actually 100% agree. I really really enjoyed TTRL. Something about the movie has always made it seem more real to me than most other war movies. Hacksaw Ridge was an inspiring movie about an American hero but the film just felt like one big corny joke.
View Quote
You guys realize that America was corny back in those days, the days of Elvis and James Dean were still over a decade away, hell some of my relatives came from the same part of the country those two brothers came from and they were corny until they died.  Mom's wore dresses and aprons and made dinner and we had dinner at the dining room table almost every evening.  And believe it or not, the Walton's and Little House on the Prairie were based on true stories.  Leave it to Beaver and Father knows best(they original TV Show) was the American family in those days.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 10:53:15 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
Nope, you’re thinking of the Gomer Pyle movie they made back in the 80’s.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 11:08:16 AM EDT
[#40]
The problem I have with this movie is they changed so many irrlelevant aspects of the movie, made up some pretty important parts of the story, and left out some key points of his military service.

For example, he never almost killed his brother, he got married before he enlisted, not after, and the whole court-martial thing was made up.

Key points they left out were he refused a deferment and volunteered for combat (deferment for working at a shipyard) and earned two Bronze Stars with “V” device for his actions on Guam and the Philippines before earning the MOH on Okinawa. He’d already proven he was a badass several times over but the movie made him look like a raw recruit. He was also one of the soldiers who volunteered to climb the ridge to pull those rope ladders up in the first place. They also left out that he lost a lung and five ribs.

I think the movie really did him a disservice.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 11:10:05 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 11:11:55 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
Im agreeing with this
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 11:14:39 AM EDT
[#43]
If you ever met the man you would wonder how he could have moved more than a couple of the wounded.

TV Show - This Is Your Life - Desmond Doss's guest appearance
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 11:17:06 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
Something similar happened to my grandfather. He was an Army mechanic. They sent him to the Philippines, but as soon as he landed was attached to an Infantry company and sent into the highlands on Luzon to flush out the Japanese. He gave me a stack of photos of dead Japanese soldiers before he died.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 11:18:11 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
The problem I have with this movie is they changed so many irrlelevant aspects of the movie, made up some pretty important parts of the story, and left out some key points of his military service.

For example, he never almost killed his brother, he got married before he enlisted, not after, and the whole court-martial thing was made up.

Key points they left out were he refused a deferment and volunteered for combat (deferment for working at a shipyard) and earned two Bronze Stars with “V” device for his actions on Guam and the Philippines before earning the MOH on Okinawa. He’d already proven he was a badass several times over but the movie made him look like a raw recruit. He was also one of the soldiers who volunteered to climb the ridge to pull those rope ladders up in the first place. They also left out that he lost a lung and five ribs.

I think the movie really did him a disservice.
View Quote
That is the problem when Hollywood tries to tell a story, the editorial power of the writers often times screw the real story up a lot, seen it many times over the years, which is why I normally read the books as well, the film is not always able to tell the real story especially when there are little or none of those that actually experienced the story they are trying to tell.

Movies are entertainment, and the majority of them will never been documentaries, which of course is why they are called "Docudramas"

The best movies should make you want to go and learn the whole story, they are a mere taste of the story itself.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 11:20:55 AM EDT
[#46]
The story, The Man is outstanding. He had gigantic balls.

The movie on the other hand sucked gigantic balls and Andrew Garfield is a horrible actor.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 11:21:00 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
It was almost as bad as American Sniper.
View Quote
You're fucked now kid.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 11:24:01 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I also hate how Hollywood changes facts to fit their stories. Clearly in the movie it’s portrayed as Doss and his units first action when in reality they had already faught on Guam and Doss received two bronze stars with “V” for his actions there. His actions on Okinawa just solidified what they already knew from their previous engagements, that he would do anything for them.
View Quote
That is exactly what disappointed me after seeing the movie in a theater. If I hadn't looked him up I'd have continued to think Okinawa was his only battle.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 11:27:27 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

That is exactly what disappointed me after seeing the movie in a theater. If I hadn't looked him up I'd have continued to think Okinawa was his only battle.
View Quote
That is what the directors and producers are trying to do with docudrama's they intrigue you to dig deeper about a great American hero and learn something about hin and the unit he served with and what they went through.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 11:28:15 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
If you ever met the man you would wonder how he could have moved more than a couple of the wounded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5TKAJtHTNo
View Quote
Keep in mind he was plagued with health problems the rest of his life which probably contributed to his gaunt appearance. He only had partial use of one of his arms from getting shot and lost a lung and five ribs after catching Terberculosis in the Philippines. He spent six years in Army hospitals (wasn’t discharged until 1951).
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top