Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/2/2018 8:09:29 PM EDT
I recently upgraded my old HVAC system. I was told during quotes they would change my old refrigerant line (1/4"?) to a larger 3/8" line. Ended up not happening because they couldn't find a good way to drop the line down from the roof to the 1st floor where my blower/coils are. My compressor is roof top (2nd story).

system is a 14 SEER, 15.5 accounting for the ECM blower. Should I be concerned about using the older/thinner line? Will it cause a drop in efficiency?

And lastly, the quote included the new refrigerant line install- should I ask for money back since they didn't end up doing it? Thanks all.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 8:16:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Lots of factors involved, but it really boils down to what the manufacturer of the equipment said on using the 1/4" liquid line.

And yes, you should get a discount since they didn't run the lineset.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 8:49:14 PM EDT
[#2]
If you paid for something they didn't do/install, they should reimburse you for it.

Having said that, we've lived here for 33 years.  After 12 years the original heat pump (Lennox) gave up with holes in the inside and outside coils.  We got a bigger Carrier unit installed 21 years ago.  They used the original lines.  Never been an issue for us.  Probably fail now that I've mentioned it.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 9:41:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Really depends on manufacturers specs, there really isnt such a thing of rule of thumb...depends entirely on the system. If the system required 3/8" liquid line and they opted out of that due to pure laziness, kept the 1/4" then that's definetly a issue. Also I have seen this done where the old filter drier is left installed as well. Have them do it right.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 9:58:33 PM EDT
[#4]
If it makes a difference, the AC unit is a Lennox 13ACXNAC.

I think dropping the new line would've required ripping out some dry wall, and that's why they didn't do it. I'll call them tomorrow and ask about a partial refund- any idea how much would be a fair amount?
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 10:04:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If it makes a difference, the AC unit is a Lennox 13ACXNAC.

I think dropping the new line would've required ripping out some dry wall, and that's why they didn't do it. I'll call them tomorrow and ask about a partial refund- any idea how much would be a fair amount?
View Quote
As long as the superheat is good, and your head isn’t too high, I wouldn’t worry about it. Run it.

If the manufacture calls for 3/8 liquid line, there should be a 3/8 liquid line. If it’s too small, your head can be too high, poor superheat, valve starving, condenser not at proper capacity. Think of shitting through a straw. Your condenser will be more flooded, not properly condensing, back logged liquid, high head, restricting the flow of liquid to the tx. Compressor pumping harder, etc. but as I said, if your system has good numbers, run it.
Get a refund and make sure warranty coverage is still there with their install not being correct to what Lennox calls for.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 9:20:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Have them correct it with proper liquid line, make sure suction line is also correct size, the install manual calls for 3/8 suction. They took a major shortcut and need not only correct it, but they should offer an written extension of a labor warranty to protect you.  Not sure if this was the low bidder on your job, but that shortcut saved them a few hundred dollars just in the line set.
Also, make sure the units get registered, otherwise you only get five year parts.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 2:47:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Have them correct it with proper liquid line, make sure suction line is also correct size, the install manual calls for 3/8 suction. They took a major shortcut and need not only correct it, but they should offer an written extension of a labor warranty to protect you.  Not sure if this was the low bidder on your job, but that shortcut saved them a few hundred dollars just in the line set.
Also, make sure the units get registered, otherwise you only get five year parts.
View Quote
Typical residential systems do not have any kind of accumulator in them to hold liquid refrigerant.

They rely on the capacity of the liquid line (both length and diameter).
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 9:58:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Typical residential systems do not have any kind of accumulator in them to hold liquid refrigerant.

They rely on the capacity of the liquid line (both length and diameter).
View Quote
How did we get on track of accumulators?
If the suction line is smaller, you have reduced capacity, and can make the compressor have high discharge temps which will lead to failure in a shorter time.

The lines should be the size the manu calls for. But again, if the superheat is good, temps and pressures are good, it’ll be fine. The major thing is that AND the warranty coverage.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 1:36:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

How did we get on track of accumulators?
If the suction line is smaller, you have reduced capacity, and can make the compressor have high discharge temps which will lead to failure in a shorter time.

The lines should be the size the manu calls for. But again, if the superheat is good, temps and pressures are good, it’ll be fine. The major thing is that AND the warranty coverage.
View Quote
The liquid line is an accumulator substitute.
If the line is undersized it causes a host of other problems.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 2:04:22 PM EDT
[#10]
If they have deviated from what Lennox has printed in their manual, they had to get a letter from their engineering department authorizing tne deviation.

Let me pull up the install guide for that model and I’ll let you know.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 2:07:47 PM EDT
[#11]
@NightHawkIX

What tonnage is the condenser?
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 2:20:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Might not matter.

Per my Lennox rep, he does not know of any systems they have where applications will authorize a 1/4” liquid line.

I only know of one, Rheem.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 2:38:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
@NightHawkIX

View Quote
2.5Ton.

I called in asking for a written warranty guarantee- they said they'd send one to me, so we'll see.. Billing department seems hesitant to refund me any amount though.

And as far as I can tell, these guys aren't cut rate. I used them through the Costco referral program (15% back @ Costco) and they seem fairly reputable. On time, and clean work as far as I can tell.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 9:13:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
2.5Ton.

I called in asking for a written warranty guarantee- they said they'd send one to me, so we'll see.. Billing department seems hesitant to refund me any amount though.

And as far as I can tell, these guys aren't cut rate. I used them through the Costco referral program (15% back @ Costco) and they seem fairly reputable. On time, and clean work as far as I can tell.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@NightHawkIX

2.5Ton.

Failure to size lines correctly is a BIG mistake.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 10:12:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
2.5Ton.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@NightHawkIX

2.5Ton.

Just as an FYI, if the do NOT get that letter from Lennox's applications division authorizing that lineset your warranty - as far as Lennox is concerned - will probably be null and void.

Depending on the laws of your state the contractor may still be on the hook, but I'd verify that.

Oh, and not saying I know anything about the Costco program (I am NOT a Costco contractor, but I have a good relationship with my Lennox rep) if you have an issue and talk to your Costco about it...
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 11:08:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
2.5Ton.

I called in asking for a written warranty guarantee- they said they'd send one to me, so we'll see.. [color=#0000ff]Billing department seems hesitant to refund me any amount though.[/color]

View Quote
You payed for parts that didn't get installed.  There's no hesitation.  They defaulted on the contract you signed.  And they reused your  old undersized line set.  They need to comeback and finish the job, not give you a refund.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 6:52:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

I’ve already gone through this here and you jump in with accumulators. A accumulator prevents liquid refrigerant from hitting the suction of the compressor... Get your terminology correct.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 1:52:15 PM EDT
[#18]
got a written confirmation from Lennox Consumer Affairs/Warranty department telling me that since it was done by a licensed contractor, using the thinner lines does not void my warranty.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 2:32:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 3:18:10 PM EDT
[#20]
I spoke too freaking soon- service rep I talked to went and talked to someone actually in the know, called me back, and said NEVERMIND- this could void your warranty. Have your installer contact our applications division.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 12:28:07 AM EDT
[#21]
1/4” line has been marginal to too small since r22, im assuming you got a newer refrigerant than that.

So its most likely undersized and will not work efficiently or at capacity.  Is that what you thought you were paying for?

Even if it was OK, did the company flush the lines and pull a long deep vacuum on them to prep for the newer refrigerant?  I’d like to know the reefer that was in the old system and the reefer that’s in the new system.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 9:26:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I’ve already gone through this here and you jump in with accumulators. A accumulator prevents liquid refrigerant from hitting the suction of the compressor... Get your terminology correct.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

An accumulator traps liquid on the high side when the compressor runs at variable speed (as in a car) were thay are still used.

Larger commercial and industrial cooling systems use a liquid accumulator and then meter from IT tinto the evaporator.

Very sophisticated systems us a level switch in the accumulator to cycle the compressor. A TXV then throttles the liquid into the evaporator on demand to maintain ITS temperature.

Very sophisticated systems use electric control over the TXV.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 5:44:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

An accumulator traps liquid on the high side when the compressor runs at variable speed (as in a car) were thay are still used.

Larger commercial and industrial cooling systems use a liquid accumulator and then meter from IT tinto the evaporator.

Very sophisticated systems us a level switch in the accumulator to cycle the compressor. A TXV then throttles the liquid into the evaporator on demand to maintain ITS temperature.

Very sophisticated systems use electric control over the TXV.
View Quote
Receiver is what your talking about.. I deal with rack systems with multiple suction accumulators, a receiver, 4-8 compressors with digital unloaders, liquid injection (demand cooling), VFD compressors, heat reclaim, split/full condensers with floating heads, subcoolers ran off another rack EEXV with standalone valve controllers controlled by the main controller for the entire system. That controller wether it’s danfoss, Emerson, comtrol, Novar, etc, controlling all of said above. I’ve never seen a receiver level switch operate a compressor. Always suction pressure will dictate what compressor should be running. Typical systems you mention will either cycle the multiple compressors depending on the load that is sensed by the controller or is just a single banger ( single compressor condensing unit) that runs off the LPC, if it is a pump down system with a LLS. All while being protected by the HPC and oil failure controllers.
The terminology used between hvac techs and automotive AC is different. Just as the car AC’s oil is stored in the condenser not the compressor, different ball game, same process, different terms used.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 6:23:56 PM EDT
[#24]
So OP, when are they coming to replace the line set?
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 6:54:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
So OP, when are they coming to replace the line set?
View Quote
They're not. They promised to furnish a letter from Lennox saying the warranty is still valid. Everytime I ask for a refund for the job not done, they're silent. I'm about to call Costco and have them arbitrate.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 8:04:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
They're not. They promised to furnish a letter from Lennox saying the warranty is still valid. Everytime I ask for a refund for the job not done, they're silent. I'm about to call Costco and have them arbitrate.
View Quote
I would just call Costco at this point. They've fooled around enough at this point.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 9:17:04 PM EDT
[#27]
At this point, I'd either call them back and tell them you're getting in touch with Costco and see what they do, OR just go straight to Costco.

It all depends on if you want to give them one last chance.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 1:44:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Any idea how much of a refund to request?

I'm getting a "we didn't install the new lines, but we did have to flush your old lines- so no refund is due." Still "working on getting a letter from Lennox about warranty."

I'm calling Costco tomorrow, but would like a better idea of what I ought to be owed. (Total install for a 70,000 BTU, 2.5T 15.5 SEER system was $6300)
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 9:41:49 AM EDT
[#29]
I'd say somewhere in the $100 range for just the 3/8" line.

ETA:  I'd be sure to get the letter from Lennox in hand before they give you the refund.  Based on them trying the line of blowing the lineset out (if they were'nt changing the big line they would have had to blow it out anyway ) I'd go straight to Costco.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top