Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 7:45:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Where do ya'll order your capacitors from?
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 7:49:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Amazon or local parts house.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 7:59:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Whats the "Turbo 200 Motor Run Capacitor" version of a compressor capacitor?  I have 4 units, all the same age and brand but different sizes.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 8:13:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Lennox?
View Quote

Trane. Original evap coil in new 2013 build leaked 2 years ago. Replacement evap coil checked this morning is leaking. Coil is covered but the labor isn't.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 8:17:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I have 35-5's, 40-5's, 45-5's, 50-5's, 35-3's, 40-3's, and then some with the fan capacitance at 7.5 mF.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 8:21:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Got a van full of capacitors, contactors and relays as I am the asshole that will come to your aid when it's 100* on the 4th of July.  You'll think of the $145 normal rate for diag and repair as a fucking treat.
View Quote

No one is happy when we show up.

Everyone is happy when we leave and cold air is blowing.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 8:26:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yep have both Amrad start and run capacitors as backups.

To damn hot in Houston to not have them during the summer.
View Quote
Just put a new Amrad in mine last week.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 8:38:25 PM EDT
[#8]
This reminds me, I have spare caps and contactors for my old ACs I replaced last year that I have no use for...
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 8:38:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yep, mine has a VFD, no start/run capacitors.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I suggest using modern AC’s that don’t use run capacitors.

No VFD has ever been killed by a line voltage spike or harmonic due to lightning strikes, right?

I think I will just keep a spare 15$ capacitor on hand.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 8:52:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Trane. Original evap coil in new 2013 build leaked 2 years ago. Replacement evap coil checked this morning is leaking. Coil is covered but the labor isn't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lennox?

That sux.  I have had great results with American Standard coils (same as trane).
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 11:10:40 PM EDT
[#11]
I keep one extra for both of my units.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 4:41:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have several spare parts for my AC.
View Quote

Guilty of same..i have every electrical related part for my system. All motors,boards, switches,caps. Do not have a compressor nor heatexchanger. But do the rest
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 4:43:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

https://www.supplyhouse.com/
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 4:59:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Nasty recent thunderstorm with lots of power surges got my fan motor and compressor capacitor.
Replaced motor and capacitor, compressor capacitor, contactor, and installed a hard start kit while I was in there.
Running like a champ.
Pic of fried fan motor:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/542569/7917BE7D-57BF-44B2-8E94-1E2094C058AE-2377780.jpg
View Quote

Nice!
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 5:03:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Probably over amping and popping caps.  Compressor failure in your near future most likely.  Be careful with capacitors, they still hold juice with everything off.  Ground out both poles with an insulated screwdriver.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 5:06:10 AM EDT
[#16]
I keep a spare after I had one go out in a unit that was 13 months old.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 7:41:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Probably over amping and popping caps.  Compressor failure in your near future most likely.  Be careful with capacitors, they still hold juice with everything off.  Ground out both poles with an insulated screwdriver.
View Quote

If in reference to my post, then yes, I agree.
It's about 10yrs old, will probably look at replacing just the compressor, I have access to r-22 if I need to add any.
Best advise I can offer is if you're home during a major thunderstorm, get your ass outta bed and go flip the breaker off in the panel so surges wont affect it.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 7:56:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Spare contactor never hurt either.
Ive used a long screwdriver to give a good flick.

Most DMMs have a capacitor reading function.  It's worth the 10min to check them rather than wait until they die. If they test more than 10% under the nameplate value It's time to start thinking replacement.
View Quote

This is a common scam that most AC guys use today to generate business.  In the old days you knew when a capacitor was bad because they were puffed or you would test it with a analog meter its open or shorted.

I'm not against testing Capacitors if you are having a problem, but to do a check up on a working AC and unplugging and plugging capacitors to test them and then charge someone 300+ dollars to change out a 45/5 capacitor because it happens to read 42/4.7 is not my idea of business.

If you said we found this cap thats weak and while we are here we changed it and it was 50 bucks i could live with it .  But selling a 7 dollar cap for 300 dollars, fuck that.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 8:00:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
They are good to keep on hand, if they keep failing either your compressor or condenser fan motor is likely on it's way out.
View Quote

For years we never had the rash of bad caps we have now.  Caps lasted in many times the life of the AC or Well motor.  But the new caps we get now just do not last
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 8:04:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

No VFD has ever been killed by a line voltage spike or harmonic due to lightning strikes, right?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I suggest using modern AC’s that don’t use run capacitors.

I don't think they have capacitors that are as easily serviced.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 8:45:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Once I realized how cheap and easy they are to replace I always have a spare at the house. $25 on amazon and 5 minutes of work vs waiting 2-4 days and $150+ from an HVAC company.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 3:56:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

This is a common scam that most AC guys use today to generate business.  ...snip
View Quote
I'm not an HVAC guy, just someone who HAS been molestered by one and feel indebted to society to teach them how easy it is to avoid such circumstances.  
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 4:52:33 PM EDT
[#23]
My home has two, identical units. One for each floor. Went out to get info off one to order correct capacitor and existing one was badly rusted with manufacture date of 2008. Wound up buying two spares just in case. $20 each off Wal-Mart

Thanks for the heads up!!!!
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 6:01:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'm not an HVAC guy, just someone who HAS been molestered by one and feel indebted to society to teach them how easy it is to avoid such circumstances.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is a common scam that most AC guys use today to generate business.  ...snip

I'm sorry I should have been more clear.  Thank you for educating the arf world on capacitors.

But, There are many companies that do this.   They come out to do your by yearly checkup and they are losing money on the deal.  So in order to make this trip profitable they check your capacitors and find that they are weak.  Twice a year they pull at least one wire off each capacitor.  after a few years this in itself causes a problems.

I am not against anyone doing this if:

They have a problem

Their lights are browning or blinking more than normal

The compressor seems to have trouble

Their electrical bill is higher

The breaker trips on a hot day and it has never tripped before.

Or just because you personally fucking can.

More ADDED bullshit

Most AC units no longer have start caps, most just have run caps.  But the old starting switches and start caps require more attention than the run caps.

I have friends in the AC business that do these capacitor checkups, but they only charge a minimal markup for the capacitors.

BUT the vast majority of AC companies fuck the ever living shit out of customers changing capacitors and many of them do not even need changing.

Link Posted: 5/22/2022 4:36:10 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm HVAC illiterate, so here goes: do I need more than the compressor model number when i'm looking it up on Amazon or supplyhouse.com?
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 4:41:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ya lightning strikes never damage old HVAC units.

Run a  run capacitor And expose your compressor and fan motors to hard starts, locked rotor amps starts, failing capacitance that damages them, never being able to match load, constantly running your AC at 100% so it’s over sized and inefficient LITERALLY 99.5% of all run hours.

Get a real surge protector and join the 21st century with reliable, powerful, quiet, and efficient units.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 4:45:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I don't think they have capacitors that are as easily serviced.
View Quote

A VFD unit doesn’t have standard run capacitors. Which is a good thing.

It’s hilarious people defending units that reliably break. When a capacitor is failing it is damaging the motor using it. Your motors always pull full LRA’s and always run at 100%. The same as gunning your engine to max RPM’s every time you run your vehicles then going to off the second you reach speed only to gun it again 20mph under the speed limit.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 4:47:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'm HVAC illiterate, so here goes: do I need more than the compressor model number when i'm looking it up on Amazon or supplyhouse.com?
View Quote

I usually just pull the cover and take a picture of the one in there with my phone.  Otherwise - take a pic of the nameplate on your outside condensing unit and you can google it from there, or post it and ask here.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 4:49:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Need comressor name plate. It will have the capacitance written on it.

Fan motor will also have capacitance listed on it.

So your capacitor will have like 45/5 on it for the compressor and the fan. Or 30/7.5, etc.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 4:55:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I said F it and had an entirely new unit put in on Friday.  14 seer, 3-ton.  Last unit was 20+ years old.  

Mine was NOT the capacitor.
View Quote

Same with me, I had ordered another cap to just hail marry it, but a company ended up giving me a good quote for a new one all thins considered these days and it they think it was the compressor as they couldn't get it to move all the r22 to the outside unit.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 7:31:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I usually just pull the cover and take a picture of the one in there with my phone.  Otherwise - take a pic of the nameplate on your outside condensing unit and you can google it from there, or post it and ask here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Need comressor name plate. It will have the capacitance written on it.

Fan motor will also have capacitance listed on it.

So your capacitor will have like 45/5 on it for the compressor and the fan. Or 30/7.5, etc.

Then this won't be enough info? I was outside weedeating after my reply and thought to take it.

(Sorry for the poor quality)
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 8:05:15 PM EDT
[#32]
I have a spare for the A/C and actually have 2 spares with relays for the damn Whirlpool POS refrigerator that has eaten 3 in less than 3 years.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 8:22:11 PM EDT
[#33]
AC capacitors have to be in the top 10 thread topics here
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 8:51:35 PM EDT
[#34]
So 20+ yrs as a home owner and never been an issue … with that said, Murphy’s Law says that since I’ve read this thread, mine will go any day now.  So, anyway to tell what size you need without breaking into the unit?  Have a couple of Rheems with one big unit and smaller unit for the basement.  Guess it won’t take long to open the unit and see sizes, but if I can just read the label outside that’d be easy.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 9:04:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Then this won't be enough info? I was outside weedeating after my reply and thought to take it.

(Sorry for the poor quality)
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/56879/20220522_163101_jpg-2393580.JPG
View Quote

Maybe you can look it up but not other then that.

On the literal side of the compressor and fan motor it should have a capacitance rating.

When I need to replace a capacitor that’s what I have to look for.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 9:12:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
So 20+ yrs as a home owner and never been an issue … with that said, Murphy’s Law says that since I’ve read this thread, mine will go any day now.  So, anyway to tell what size you need without breaking into the unit?  Have a couple of Rheems with one big unit and smaller unit for the basement.  Guess it won’t take long to open the unit and see sizes, but if I can just read the label outside that’d be easy.
View Quote

Label outside won't tell you a thing unless you have the means to look up parts per the model  and serial #'s of the mfg.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 11:36:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Back in my day, we used to crank start the motors by hand
View Quote

Was it up hill without shoes?
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 12:05:39 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

There is a panel where the flexible conduit goes in/comes out. Usually 2-4 screws. Take it off and the capacitor should be right there. At least mine is like that. Took me 1 minute to take off, 1 minute to find on Amazon, and 1 minute to close up.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 8:36:54 AM EDT
[#39]
I keep a spare capacitor and contactor on hand for mine.  Bought both on Amazon for $24.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 8:47:50 AM EDT
[#40]
I had the compressor on my all-in-one unit go out a couple years ago (the models that don't have an "inside unit" but are 100% self contained you just run power to them). 5-ton Trane, compressor was around $3000+ labor. So I had a new , identical, heat pump installed and told the company to just put the entire old unit in my barn.

I found a new old stock compressor last year for $300 on ebay. Swapped it myself, so now I have a spare $10,000 heat pump I can just swap out in a day if I really need to

I also keep spare caps and contactors even though the new unit has a warranty, because supply chain.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 9:44:09 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I had the compressor on my all-in-one unit go out a couple years ago (the models that don't have an "inside unit" but are 100% self contained you just run power to them). 5-ton Trane, compressor was around $3000+ labor. So I had a new , identical, heat pump installed and told the company to just put the entire old unit in my barn.

I found a new old stock compressor last year for $300 on ebay. Swapped it myself, so now I have a spare $10,000 heat pump I can just swap out in a day if I really need to

I also keep spare caps and contactors even though the new unit has a warranty, because supply chain.
View Quote

Hmmm.  What did you do with all the refrigerant? Did you flow nitrogen while you brazed in your new compressor?  Silfoss, staybrite 8?  Soft solder?  Pressure test it afterwards? Pull a nice vacuum?  Leave it with dry nitrogen or are you gonna weigh in a factory charge and trim it when you install it if you need ?
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 9:49:32 AM EDT
[#42]
Our old house, used to blow its cap around the 4th of July damn near every year

We had a ton of power surges in our old neighborhood, not sure if that was the cause or what.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 10:05:53 AM EDT
[#43]
The wisdom of Arfcom has saved me a bundle of money and headaches.

My ladyfriend's AC hasn't been working right for months.  She kept saying she would have some cousin take care of it.  Well, they never showed up.  I took matters into my own hands last week.  I tested all major components, and discovered that the contactor was sticking.  On the advice of Arf, I ordered, and replaced the run cap as well.  Next day delivery from Amazon for the win.   It worked wonderfully through the weekend heatwave.  

The rats nest of wires can be intimidating, but it was about a 20 minute job to rewire both the contactor and the run cap.  It was also an excuse to play with my fancy multimeter.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 10:08:00 AM EDT
[#44]
Just replaced mine this morning after my unit went down on Saturday night.

The local parts warehouse of course wouldn't sell it to me without being part of the HVAC cartel.

However, I do work for a company that has accounts with them, so I just used that and paid with my own money.

$15 and change for a Titan HD run cap that's made in the USA.

The one I ordered on Amazon for more money will be my spare.

One thing I noticed is the new capacitor was smaller than the old one by a significant amount, but the strap on my unit could be adapted to work with it.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top