Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2021 1:21:41 PM EDT
Different physical sizes but will this new one I had laying around the garage...

Attachment Attached File

Adequately replace this fried one off my small office HVAC blower? Specs appear to be the same..

Attachment Attached File

Also...the old one was swelled up, an hour after power came back on I had burnt electrical smell, no smoke, and no fan running.  Does this indicate the motor might be fried as well?

ETA: Works just fine, was a cap I misordered couple years ago and just happened to be what I needed here... Now I'm off to play the lottery.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 3:19:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Different physical sizes but will this new one I had laying around the garage...

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/300247/IMG_20210224_111548023_jpg-1839384.JPG

Adequately replace this fried one off my small office HVAC blower? Specs appear to be the same..

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/300247/IMG_20210224_110950775_jpg-1839386.JPG

Also...the old one was swelled up, an hour after power came back on I had burnt electrical smell, no smoke, and no fan running.  Does this indicate the motor might be fried as well?

ETA: Works just fine, was a cap I misordered couple years ago and just happened to be what I needed here... Now I'm off to play the lottery.
View Quote

Remarkable how easy some fixes are.
Congrats.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 4:36:45 PM EDT
[#2]
It was pretty ugly, but the last ones I replaced on my compressor were bulged more than this..Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:36:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Get yourself another really good brand cap to have ready for next time. They are so cheap...
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 1:28:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Get yourself another really good brand cap to have ready for next time. They are so cheap...
View Quote

Any idea if this is standard size for most HVAC fans?  this one was for a small unit, accompanied by a 1 or 1.5 ton compressor outside.  i want to avoid opening up my big main house unit that matches a 5 ton outdoor unit to see whats inside.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 3:13:08 PM EDT
[#5]
No. They all can be different.

One option is you buy the one capacitor that is selectable, the Turbo 200. It has several taps on top to select capacitance. You will need to configure it when you put it in.

or

Just find the manual for the unit, look up the replacement part number for the cap. Find it online to get the specifications, and then find best price online or a reputable brand.

I have two units in my house. One uses a 40 + 5 cap, and the other uses a 45 +5 cap. Same manufacturer. I keep both in stock.

Generally, there are only 2 to 4 screws that hold on the cover. Take a few pics. Not hard to remove. Now is the best time to do it. Temps are cool. Lots of lead time to get that cap in your hands.

I'm not trying to be difficult, but if taking off the cover/access panel is too much for you, maybe this isn't your kind of project to do?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top