Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/2/2018 1:41:35 PM EDT
So I just paid $100 for what I believe is an Atlas 3996 lathe with stand at a garage sale. I am going to be picking it up thie Saturday with the help of my Brother-in-Law (He has the truck). WHat is the best way to take the lathe itself off the stand to make it easy to put back together.

I wont have a hoist only 3 guys to move it.

I have wanted a lathe since high school and could never justify the cost of one. I lucked out and it looks to be in excellent condition from the parts I could see. It has knick knacks and clothes hanging above it. I could see the ways and they looked a bit dusty but did not see any rust not even a little. I do not know what tooling if any comes with it, but I could not pass up the deal for $100.

I just dont know how to move this beast.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 1:49:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Go rent a trailer from HD  with a ramp tailgate, a couple pipes on the floor and roll it right on with a come-a-long.

My son and I moved this beast last year that way and it was easy peasy.Attachment Attached File

Picking it up and putting it in a truck is just too much work

Work smarter not harder
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 1:52:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Cool find! I wish I could find something like that.

Should be just simply bolted to the stand. Probably 1/2 bolts and nuts through flanges or hidden bolts coming up from the bottom. Probably weighs about 300 or so #'s so 3 corn fed boys should be able to get it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 1:55:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I may need to bribe my neighbors to help. They have trailers. 12 packs of cold beer could go a long way!
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 2:01:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cool find! I wish I could find something like that.

Should be just simply bolted to the stand. Probably 1/2 bolts and nuts through flanges or hidden bolts coming up from the bottom. Probably weighs about 300 or so #'s so 3 corn fed boys should be able to get it.
View Quote
Just looked it up - 3996 is driven from underneath, by a motor in the cabinet. It will unbolt, but it also involved messing with the drive underneath.  And the stand won't be light either.

OP, does it look like this?
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 2:16:31 PM EDT
[#5]
^ Good sleuthing. I envisioned a different one.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 2:19:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Just looked it up - 3996 is driven from underneath, by a motor in the cabinet. It will unbolt, but it also involved messing with the drive underneath.  And the stand won't be light either.

OP, does it look like this?
http://www.lathes.co.uk/atlas/img41.jpg
View Quote
Yes, exactly like that.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 2:23:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh, and OP needs to look up TubalCain (MrPete222) on youtube.  Former shop teacher in his 70's.  Almost 1000 videos so far, with many involving the Atlass lathes.  He also sells a video course on that lathe - it's a compilation of freely available videos, but I think they get delivered on USB stick.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 2:26:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Oh, and OP needs to look up TubalCain (MrPete222) on youtube.  Former shop teacher in his 70's.  Almost 1000 videos so far, with many involving the Atlass lathes.  He also sells a video course on that lathe - it's a compilation of freely available videos, but I think they get delivered on USB stick.
View Quote
I'll look him up.

I am checking to see if my brother in laws truck has a hitch. I know my neighbor has a trailer, just dont want to drag him across town if I can just borrow the trailer. I was hoping I could unbolt it from the table and maybe disconnect the belts from the side that run up to the gearing.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 2:26:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yes, exactly like that.
View Quote
Start here for general info: http://www.lathes.co.uk/atlas/page4.html
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 2:34:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Neighbor says I can use his trailer ( it has car ramps too)and my brother in laws truck has a hitch and brake controller. So looks like it will just take some muscle to move it on the trailer.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 2:41:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Neighbor says I can use his trailer ( it has car ramps too)and my brother in laws truck has a hitch and brake controller. So looks like it will just take some muscle to move it on the trailer.
View Quote
Your in luck then. Just borrow come-a-long if you dont have one. Winch it up and It is easier to control the machine unloading down the ramp and no one is likely to get hurt.

Good luck man. You will want a long crow bar or too as well for getting over bumps etc.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 2:48:13 PM EDT
[#12]
How you move it depends on location, obstructions, equipment and manpower.

I'd look into a drop-deck trailer (google it, they're cool!) and a couple of 4 wheeled dollies.  Pry/lift one end up, place a dolly.  Pry or lift the other end up, place a dolly. Wheel it onto the trailer that is just above ground level, not a foot or two above the ground. Easy.

Things that are helpful to have: lifting slings, pipe or round stock for rollers, a come-along or winch, a good pry bar or lever (Marshalltown Burke bar), cribbing, ratchet straps.

I've moved lathes, a Bridgeport, a surface grinder, and all sorts of other lighter machines. Use what you have, but be safe and make sure your help knows where to stand, where not to place their feet and fingers, and that it is better to let equipment fall over than to let themselves get crushed trying to save it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 2:52:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 4:26:57 PM EDT
[#14]
lathes look light but are not!
300lb might be for the base, more like 500-600Lb total.
Trailer is the way to go
I have a 10" light SB 45" bed, you might be lifting it with three guys.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 4:32:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Well my neighbor also has an engine hoist and some extra straps I am going to borrow. So I will have a come along, engine hoist, trailer with ramps and 3 guys. I've read its going to be in the area of 550/600 lbs total with the stand. I plan on lifting it and resting on the legs of the engine hoist. Roll it to the trailer and use the guys and come along to get it up the ramps onto the trailer. Set it down on the trailer and strap it down.

Option B is to push the hoist next to the side of the trailer, raise the lathe up over the sides if possible and rest it on the trailer and strap it down.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 4:32:44 PM EDT
[#16]
i have uhaul truck with ramp moved an upright grand piano with 2 angry men and a teenager on belay

piano dollies are a very good thing

never lift it
tip it
shore it up and slide a dolly under one end
then have 2 guys tip it up on the dolly while another gets the second dolly under the other end
strap it to the dollies and roll it up the ramps
block it in and strap it in place on the trailer while still on the dollies
drive slow and watch your turns

600 pounds is easy
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 5:01:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Well my neighbor also has an engine hoist and some extra straps I am going to borrow. So I will have a come along, engine hoist, trailer with ramps and 3 guys. I've read its going to be in the area of 550/600 lbs total with the stand. I plan on lifting it and resting on the legs of the engine hoist. Roll it to the trailer and use the guys and come along to get it up the ramps onto the trailer. Set it down on the trailer and strap it down.

Option B is to push the hoist next to the side of the trailer, raise the lathe up over the sides if possible and rest it on the trailer and strap it down.
View Quote
I'd suggest pulling the tailstock off and moving the cross slide all the way to the headstock.  2 slings under the headstock cabinet, with a 3rd out to the light end.  Might not be needed depending on the center of gravity.
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 9:38:18 AM EDT
[#18]
A little advice on moving lathes, most people underestimate how top heavy they are. Make sure it is strapped securely to prevent tipping over during transport and be especially careful while pushing it around on dollies or trying to scoot it along. I've seen many machines with broken handles and worse from falling over.
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 5:33:05 PM EDT
[#19]
When I moved my lathe I used a floor jack to lift it up and bolt 4x4's across the bottom at both ends for stability.
Then unhooked trailer to get it low enough and used 1 jack to get the headstock end on trailer and another under tailstock. 2 big straps to anchor it on trailer.

Reverse of above to unload. Then eased it close to final spot with jacks. And then pry bars to slowly lift and move into final spot.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 10:51:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Lathe has been moved. To be honest the hardest part was getting it out of his garage with all the clutter.

Owner said his father died at age 97 and probably hasn't used it in 30-40 years. Belts are toast of course, but over all there is some grime and dirt from years of sitting.

I am in the process of taking it down to clean off the old grunge and grime. See if I can't get the old girl up and running soon.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 11:33:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 2:23:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Would love to see a pic of your prize.
View Quote
I'll have to take some photos tonight of the shape its in currently. I've already started taking it apart to start cleaning it up.
Top Top